Author Topic: Capitals, Commas, and Apostrophes  (Read 15696 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Capitals, Commas, and Apostrophes
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Hi everyone!

One of my responsibilities here on the Forum is to make sure it has a professional and consistent appearance.  And to make sure that everything is written in correct English so that our international visitors who use page translators will be able to decipher the writing.  The Forum is growing at a brisk pace and it's becoming more time consuming for me to make edits and corrections on posts.  If I could ask everyone to please try to use correct capitalization, apostrophes, and commas, it would help me so much!

One example:  I've seen the word "I'll" written as "ill" and it completely changes the meaning.  "I'll", when written correctly, is a contraction for "I will."  However, when it's written without the capitalization and apostrophe, it becomes "ill" which means "sick."  Anyone using a page translator will have that word translated as "sick" and it will make the sentence confusing.

I realize that it may sound like I'm being picky, but I hope everyone will understand that it's being done to make the site better overall, to make it more welcoming to anyone in the world, and to help the search engines find us.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Capitals, Commas, and Apostrophes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »
Just to add to Pam's request — use the Preview button before hitting Post. That's a biggie. I consider myself a decent writer, but I constantly catch mistakes when I look at Previews of my posts. I'm typing away and my fingers and brain aren't always moving at the same speed. It's usually not that I don't know how to spell a word, it's that my big fingers hit the wrong button or two buttons at once. I think we could all reduce Pam's job by using Preview more often.

Keep up the good work, Pam.  

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything