Author Topic: EA is going digital  (Read 13670 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: EA is going digital
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »
EA Games are probably one of the biggest Game Companies so once EA goes Digital I expect a lot of Companies are going to think about going that way as well, if EA do it well and the other Companies don't follow them quickly they may get left behind a bit and struggle to get into the new market that EA is already dominating. I told my parents about this and they also think that if EA did this then Broadband Speeds and Connections would get improved.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2011, 01:12:06 AM »
The thing with most digit download purchases is that you do get to order a dvd/cd copy too, I am almost positive that EA will offer this too at least in the early stages.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2011, 04:19:22 AM »
The thing with most digit download purchases is that you do get to order a dvd/cd copy too, I am almost positive that EA will offer this too at least in the early stages.
Yes, that would be good, but I'm still not sold on the idea... :-\
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »
None of us have to like it or be sold on it.  It will happen when it happens and everyone will deal with it.  Trust me, there will be many more important changes coming in the world for our young members than digital download games.  In my opinion, the whole thing is moot at this point anyway.  It's not changing yet, so why worry?  It's a waste of time and energy.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »
That's a good view on it Pam. When I'm your age, I'll probably be downloading music straight into my head.

Leto85

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
That's a good view on it Pam. When I'm your age, I'll probably be downloading music straight into my head.

Whahaha! I think you are born way to earlier to be given the possibility to get old enough to find that way of 'importing.'

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »
You know after a couple of days ago, I actually approve of downloading my Sims games digitally. Keep in mind, though I was born close to the very end of the late 80's when Carl was still in elementary school, Leto was 4 days away from his child birthday, Pam Metro, and our moderators (excluding Leto) were still under the age of 30, and Pam was counting down the days until her 30th birthday, so I'm close to the generation of our younger forum members, still under the age of 18, which means because I have a real life job, driver's license, bank card, I have the funds and access, to go through with the digital downloads.

I actually like it better because I don't have to worry about losing the disc, or wearing it out (I notice that's actually the main source of a crashing game.). My game actually runs a whole lot smoother, too because I'm not overheating, my hard drive. However, maybe reducing my amount of third party content has something to do with it, but my game is less glitchy, and more smooth than it was when I played Sims 3 with the hard copy. So to our younger forum members, when you finally obtain the financial dependence a bank card, and a real life job, I highly recommend you chose the digital copy over the physical copy. It's so much better than worrying about losing, and over stressing a physical copy.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
I guess I see it this way. The only thing I need a disk for is the serial number. When I got OLS the other day, I opened it and grabbed the manual and put the rest away. I have EADM on my computer so I never use the disk anyways, just the number. But on the other hand, if a kid wants to play and doesn't have a credit card, that makes it hard on them and it shouldn't be like that.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2011, 11:53:54 PM »
EA is making a mistake.
Everyone goes digital, Retail stores will lose.
I understand that the future is coming, and we cannot prevent it, but this is stupid.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Retail is actually be selling the Game Cards EA provides, as an alternative way to purchase digital downloads. They work just like iTunes cards, where you log in, type the redeeming code, and get your credit. So Retail will actually have a replacement to sell.

No need to use credit cards or paypal to get your digital downloads. EA has Game Cards, just be sure to add it to your birthday list, or include it on your next trip to the grocery store.  :)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
Actually, when you think about it this way (for me, at least. I think there would be other people in this position), what happens if:
1. You don't have a credit card?
2. You live in  a country that doesn't sell EA Game Cards (I think NZ doesn't, at least)?
3. You get a really big/expensive Birthday Present, which your parents/whoever gives to you on it's own, telling you no way you're getting anything else from them for your birthday?
4. You're broke?
What happens then?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2011, 03:03:12 AM »
We've already been through all of this.  Let's not have a repeat, please.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."