Author Topic: Balconies  (Read 84343 times)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
Balconies
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:41 AM »
Hey. :)
I have a problem: I want to add a balcony to my legacy house (2 stories) and I want it to be of a medium size. I just don't know how to build a balcony. If anyone can show me how to build one or provide a link to a tutorial, I will be very grateful. Some tips would be great too (about designing the balcony).
Thanks.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Balconies
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:41:16 AM »
For me, the easiest way is to build the second floor, then move the wall away from the edge of the lower level.  It will be just floor out in the open.  Put a fence around it and a door in the wall, and you've got a balcony. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »
Pam's way is good, but if you want a balcony without a room directly below it, you can use columns. If you only want a tiny balcony though, say 2 by 4 squares, you won't even need columns. You can place floor tiles out 2 squares past a wall without anything below it. For anything that goes further than 2 squares, put columns below it to support it. When you place a column, it shows which squares are available on top of it. If you have a foundation on your house, the columns will have to be on squares of foundation, or on elevated ground level. Then, as Pam said, put a door and a fence/half wall around the outside, and there's your balcony :)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »
Thanks to both of you. Yes, that house does have columns, so I guess I'll use them.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
You can also create a balcony that's not being supported by anything.

You just place colums or create walls beneath your balcony area. Once you've placed floors, walls, and fences, you can just delete the walls and/or colums. If your balcony is very small and close to the house you may want to use this method over support columns.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
The balcony will be in the back of the house, looking to the backyard. Columns are not a problem, but I think your option is even better, Phyre. Thank you.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 02:43:19 AM »
You might need Columns/Walls to make it reach out further though to be able to place the tiles, once a floor is placed you can delete the supports.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:20:18 AM »
Okay, let me explain you my situation. This is where I want the two (separate) L-shaped balconies to be. Sorry, I don't have a better screenshot, just ignore the trees. I think you got the idea.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:22:52 AM »
Okay, let me explain you my situation. This is where I want the two (separate) L-shaped balconies to be. Sorry, I don't have a better screenshot, just ignore the trees. I think you got the idea.

Which part of the instructions already given are you having trouble with?  Or do you just need more information and examples?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:24:38 AM »
I am confused whether I'll need to add columns/walls or not. As you see, it is possible, but without them it would look much more realistic. I think.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 04:29:23 AM »
I am confused whether I'll need to add columns/walls or not. As you see, it is possible, but without them it would look much more realistic. I think.

Do you want the balconies to be large enough to put stuff on?  Big enough for your Sims to actually use?  Or small just for decoration?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 04:33:14 AM »
Do you want the balconies to be large enough to put stuff on?  Big enough for your Sims to actually use?  Or small just for decoration?

Well, a couple of benches and a plant or two. Mostly for decoration and the overall cottage/small villa look of the house.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
I'll try and knock up a little tutorial when I am doing some ideas for Rica's Landscaping, hopefully by later tonight. From your Picture is that back wall just flat like ------------------ or is it like this -------|________|-------- ? Sorry for the poor diagram, hope it displays well enough.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:42 PM »

There are two distinct steps when creating balconies:

1. Actually creating your balcony. Here you will have to add either columns or walls. If you don't, you aren't able to put floortiles on your second story. This is the phase where you actually create the balcony, so floors, fences, all the building elements that need to be supported to create.

2. Once you created a balcony, you can choose any option you want. You see, once that flooring and those fences are created, you are able to delete all elements you needed in Step 1 to create them. This means that you can create a balcony that's completely unsupported. However, if you want, you can also keep a few columns, or a wall, anything goes. Step 2 is where you design the balcony just the way you want it to be.

I hope this cleared it up a bit. There's a very big different between what you need to create a balcony, and what you ultimately have to keep to keep your balcony hanging (basically nothing, you could even let it float in the air). When you then talk about realism, you're only looking at Step 2. If my balcony is this big, does it look better with or without support. But you don't need anything after Step 1, so you are free to make any choice you like.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
Aha, so I get it like this: I must add either walls or columns to create a balcony, but after creating I can either remove or keep them. Right?
@Thomas - Sorry, I didn't quite understand what you meant by saying "back wall".