Author Topic: New Premium Content: Lady Ravendancer Goth's Book o' Spells  (Read 14835 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: New Premium Item at the EA Sims Store that Grants Additional Gameplay
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 10:29:53 AM »
I agree with you pallyndrome. It sounded awesome the first ten seconds, but then I realized that there were only five spells and that these weren't so great. For instance, the "Enchant" spell will only work on the spellbook; it would be cooler if other objects could be enchanted (and it is not hard to do, there are already animations for ghost haunting household items).

I also disliked the fact that Spellcasting is not a skill and you cannot receive rewards or keep track of your progress and spells in the journal. Also I've heard that children animations are not included, so you may end up with stretchy children if you cast spells on them. :(

This was a good idea, but it could have been (a lot) better. I just hope they add magic in a later EP, like they did with Apartment Life.

Yes, it's only 5 spells, but it's 5 more spells than we had before.  And if you really think about it, that's a decent accomplishment considering that they did it without adding an expansion pack.  Perhaps the spells aren't so great, but you can only do so much by adding a single item to the game.  Anything more would require all new game mechanics.

And since children can't use the spellbook, I assumed that you wouldn't be able cast spells on them either.  It wouldn't be the first thing in The Sims that children were excluded from.  Have you actually tried this, or is this just something you've heard?

Leto85

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
Knowing EA, we'll get real magic no sooner than the 10th expansion pack in 2014. I refer to this as a "test". Like, if people buy and like this (which they do not so far), it'll be the base of the TS3 magic. If they do not (which most of us do), EA will tweak a few things and they have plenty of time to do so.

Magic has been the last expansion after both sims 1 and 2, so I think Chronic is right. I've got the feeling EA was testing with things before already so this wouldn't probably be the last time they do that.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

tycoon333

Magic Skill?
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
Recently EA released a online "stuff pack" Gothique Library. There is supposed to be some item included that gives a magic skill or something to that effect. Is the magic skill a full skill or some skill like snake charming?

Offline Execution

• Immortal
  • Rawr.
Re: Magic Skill?
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 09:09:41 PM »
There's hidden skills related with magic. You can't see them, but you get eventually better at Magic by Reviewing it from the Goth Spellbook. By 'better' at magic, I mean your spells backfire less often.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 05:44:05 AM »
As Execution noted, this is a new hidden skill, currently only available with this store item. As far as I know, you can only practice this if you have the "Makin' Magic" moodlet, which lasts for three hours.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Execution

• Immortal
  • Rawr.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
You get the "Makin' Magic" after successfully practicing Magic. The "Cursed" moodlet comes from a spell backfiring / being cursed by a Sim that practices magic.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »
I can see the summon spell being useful. 

Towards the end of my dynasty there were very few teens around who were not paperboys or babysitters.  Try as hard as I could, but I could never seem to locate these sims after school hours to build a relationship with my current dynasty heir.  It was particularly painful if the relationship was neutral because they would constantly turn down invitations to get together - so there was really no way to spend time with them other than throwing a party, and that would cause my game to lag so badly it wasn't playable.  It would have been awesome to be able to summon them.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »

We already have a topic about this, so I'm merging this with "New Premium Item at the EA Sims Store that Grants Additional Gameplay".
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
Has anyone managed to get the Mood Elevatus spell to be reliable?  I tried reviewing it on a test sim for two days straight, with needs static and it still seemed to backfire as much as before the studying.