Author Topic: Feature Walls  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Feature Walls
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:25:04 AM »
I know of the concept of Feature walls, but do they only work with complimentary colours (White and Black, for instance)?
By work, I mean, look good.

CarlosLordofTacos

Re: Feature Walls
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:09 AM »
What are feature walls?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »
Carlos: a feature wall is when you colour one wall differently to the rest of the walls in the room. It's a nice way to create contrast.

Seabody: Complimentary colours are a good start, but there are lots of other combinations which work too. Speaking of which, there's a great guide to working with colours on the official site here. You might need to try a few different colour schemes before you find one you like, but there's no reason you should just stick to complementary colours  :). Here's some examples:

I don't think any of these look bad, and only the last picture used complimentary colours (pink and green). Don't forget to match the skirting boards!

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:53:03 AM »
I know of the concept of Feature walls, but do they only work with complimentary colours (White and Black, for instance)?
By work, I mean, look good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's not just about following design rules, it's about what appeals to you. Foe example, all of Ausette's pictures are lovely, but the one that relies on complimentary colors is the least appealing to me.  I happen to prefer her first example. Someone else may have a completely different reaction. Design rules are a good starting point, but don't get so hung up on them that you can't think outside the box. Nature rarely worries about what colors 'go together' and somehow a field of wildflowers still manages to be beautiful.