Author Topic: Photo collections - Can they all be completed?  (Read 16563 times)

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
Photo collections - Can they all be completed?
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
When WA first came out I never really got into photography but now I'm really starting to enjoy it.

I remember though that there used to be problems with certain photos in the collections and I've been trying to get Google to tell me if that's still the case - not easy! :P

By problems I mean photo subjects that are not just difficult but flat out impossible to capture due to programming error.
Example: It used to be impossible to get a photo of the Town Theater in Sunset Valley. This has been fixed in a patch though; the patch notes say so and I've taken that photo myself.
What about the Dropa stone collection? I believe that one was impossible because of a typo in a game file, is that fixed or is it still broken? Did anyone ever get a picture of the Dropa stones to register in the skill journal?
Anything else not working?

In short, I'm hoping some of the completionists here can tell me: Can all the collections in the Photography skill journal be completed? Or if a patch broke something; could they ever?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Photo collections - Can they all be completed?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
Unfortunately PJ, the photography is really glitched.  Some can take pictures for a while and then they vanish from the camera.  There are sims that freeze when you click their pic in the left corner and items not registering while trying to take the picture.  I believe there are a couple more, but I forgot.  There is another thread that gives a little more detail, but photography is shot.  Too bad, because this was an awesome feature, plus you can't even do the professions that require pictures.  I am not sure if they will ever come out with a patch to fix this, but it's a very important part of gameplay that should be corrected.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »
I agree with Salty. But there is a way to fix this. If you have any opportunities saved for any of the household's Sims, either cancel or complete them. This way the Sim won't freeze and the photo will register. Tested this myself and worked. It's impossible to complete Photography opportunities unless you take the necessary photo(s) beforehand.

Photography is one of the most bizarre skills, that's for sure. Some photos don't have a proper description, others are glitched like you noted. There is a way to complete all the collections, however. It just is extremely time consuming, both in-game and real-time. You will most likely spend 100 sim-weeks before you complete them all. Some things depend on the game itself, like capturing a political protest and there's really not much you can do to control this. Anyway, all photos can be pictured, not sure about the Dropa one, though. I've been struggling to find what each of them requires during the photography event (before my file got borked out), so feel free to PM me if you need info. :)

EDIT: Forgot to note, never do this in Twinbrook, the beach (if I remember right) can't be captured. It hasn't been fixed. The only town with all "stable" community lots is Sunset Valley, and, most likely, Bridgeport.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:29:41 PM »
I am glad it worked for you, but I have tried everything, even what you suggested Chronic.  I did however, try something that someone had suggested, if you can, take the sim on vacation, buy a new camera and when you go home, it works, only for a short time though and for some, it actually fixed it long enough to complete some of their photography opportunities.  If you don't want to travel, I am not sure buying one in buydebug works the same way.  I don't know about the professions though.  I finally just gave up and decided not to even bother with it.  I hope they fix it sometime. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
... it's a very important part of gameplay that should be corrected.

I agree, it's wonderful for all kinds of reasons.

I know photography is borked worse than ever right now and that's one reason I plan to get rid of the Generations patch and maybe Late Night too for the time being; I just want some stuff to work.

If you have any opportunities saved for any of the household's Sims, either cancel or complete them. This way the Sim won't freeze and the photo will register.

This is how I've been able to use the camera at all in my game. It works a little differently for me than what you describe. Only the Sim taking the picture needs to have no opportunities, the other in my house can have several, it makes no difference. Also I've discovered I can accept photo opportunities and photography still works. Every other kind of opportunity makes the game freeze except the photo ones. Oh joy! I thought, but no. I can take the picture alright, it gets labeled properly but the game doesn't register that I've done it. :P

And this:
It's impossible to complete Photography opportunities unless you take the necessary photo(s) beforehand.
doesn't work for me either. I've tried taking the picture first, then accepting the opportunity later, no joy. I can't complete photo opportunities, period. :(

It just is extremely time consuming, both in-game and real-time. You will most likely spend 100 sim-weeks before you complete them all. Some things depend on the game itself, like capturing a political protest and there's really not much you can do to control this.

Sure, I've seen lots of those protests in my game but once I need one to happen it will probably take forever. I plan to just have my Sim lug the camera around while doing other things and snap those events when I see them. That's why the no opportunities thing is such a game breaker for me, you can't really do anything else.

Oh, and I'm sure it will take forever and I'll probably never get all the collections done but it's still nice to know it's possible before you begin.

... feel free to PM me if you need info. :)

Thanks, maybe I will but I've already found lots of good tips on the forum. Except those Dropa stones... :D

Okay, I'm going to nuke that toxic patch! *stomps off to reinstall yet again*

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:19:16 PM »
To answer the original question, no. Flat out.
Even if you're lucky enough to have Generations and the patch and not have the major bug, like me (touch wood), Home Decor is impossible to get.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:48:04 AM »
Is this is because it shows up twice in the list?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 02:08:19 AM »
It does? It shows up once for me. Nothing registers.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:40:03 AM »
Oh, I see.

I've seen people mention that they have 2 Home Decors in the list and only one will register. Hmm, something odd about that one.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:54:12 AM »
I've been able to get Home Decor, I'm pretty sure.  But it was before the current problems with Photography.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 05:51:40 AM »
Home Decor is possible to get. The one with no description came with Ambitions and requires you to photograph a finished sculpture, made using the sculpting station. It's noted in the Photography guide, even. Every shot is possible to get in these collections:

Still Life

Family & Friends

Everyday Moments

Home Sweet Home

Around Town (not in Twinbrook and Riverview)

Travel

Oh, the Calamity!

Architectural & Buildings Collection

Paranormal (requires extra-cruelty and extra-hard-work)

Best In Class (if attempted to be completed without cheats, be sure to waste the most time on)

Plants & Flowers

Sims In Motion.

I haven't included Collections because of the Dropa Stone bug.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm going to give it a shot. (See the pun I did there? ::))
It will probably take ages because I don't have very much time to play most days. I'll stick to Sunset Valley which is my favorite anyway, and I got rid of the Generations patch so at least I don't have the freezing bug. :)

Leto85

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
When you import a sim who have fulfilled photographic collections in your game after installing the patch (and bug), does he still have those collections fulfilled, or are those removed because of the bug?

Offline kiko94

• Immortal
  • you pronounce it *keko* not *kIko*
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »
The new 1.24 patch seem to have fixed it, maybe you could give it a try
My Blog For Sims 3 Buildings, visit for exclusive content -07/11 update : New Houses and community lots, don't miss them !!

-The Awkward moment whe you are viewing who's online, and you find somone looking at your profile...

norsky

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
When you import a sim who have fulfilled photographic collections in your game after installing the patch (and bug), does he still have those collections fulfilled, or are those removed because of the bug?
It depends whether you imported the sim as a household or just a CAS. If their's a bug, then you probably shouldn't have the collection. I'm pretty sure 1.24 patch fixed this problem.

•Sand Piles and Tomb décor will no longer be visible in an unexplored tomb.
•An issue that broke functionality for Nectar Bottles and Nectar Racks has been resolved.
•Photos taken with cameras from World Adventures will now be properly saved to the inventory.
•Objects placed in a Sim’s Family Inventory will no longer disappear when returning from a Vacation world.

If you have the the latest patch, it has seemed to fix it.