Author Topic: Rules: Big Brother: The Sims 3 Rules  (Read 37522 times)

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
Rules: Big Brother: The Sims 3 Rules
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
So, here's the rules for my project. I hope you all enjoy!

Welcome to... Big Brother!

The Object: To have eight sims live in one household, eliminating one each week, until one remains.

The Setup:
1. Eight Sims. 4 male, 4 female. All random. You can't pick traits, looks,styles, or anything unless it's majorly important.
2. Aging off. Some people don't like aging off, I get it. But, random birthdays all around is not the point here. No birthdays would be preferred. If you would like, set the aging bar to epic.
3. A house needs to be fit to their needs. No electronics. Burglar alarms are allowed and encouraged. As are fire alarms. No skill items.
4. After all sims are in the house, all gates and doors are locked, so no people may get in or out.
5. If you would like a butler, you may hire one when you enter the house.
6. The HoH room is an important edition to the house. It will be the luxury room. Electronics are allowed here and only here. It will include a private bathroom. The catch? It's locked to the current HoH and the butler (Seperate doors, if you have a butler).

The Rules:
1. There will be very little interaction between you and your sims. If they are in the red, you may intervene so no one will die. Freewill is a powerful force.
2. Every Monday, skilling items will be introduced to the house. Every Wednesday, they will be taken away. Whoever gains the most skill will become the 'Head of Household'.
3. The HoH has a very important job. On Thursday, whichever two sims in the house who have the least amount of relationship with the HoH will be put up for eviction.
4. On Sunday, every houseguest will be voting towards who stays and who goes from the house. They vote for whoever has the least relationship with them. Whoever has the most votes will leave the house.
5. The fifth rule is optional. If you find that the 'Stir Crazy' moodlet it really annoying and need it gone, send them out on a trip after eviction. If not, keep them in the house. It's up to you.

I hope everyone has as much fun with this as I had writing it!

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Big Brother: The Sims 3 Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
If you give everyone the hates the outdoors trait they won't get the stir crazy moodlet.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
i did not know that. But considering these are random sims, I don't think that could be added to the ruleset.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
Since the challenge isn't being scored or ranked, would it be OK to fudge the rules just a little? The main challenge would be the same of course, but if I played it I might want to change some little things (namely, being able to choose the appearance of the Sims). Changes to the challenge could be listed in the first post of the story.

Sportsfan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
Yeah I wanted to do something similar but with harsher living conditions.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
Sure guys! The rules can be messed around with, that was the point! The main basis is clear, and I might come up with scoring later. Possibly. Certain rules were made to be broken. I just hope everyone has fun with it!!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 07:07:15 AM »
I've been having fun with this. You don't give rules for what to do about clogged toilets, etc., so I put my HoH to work. I think the first one to go is going to be the hot-headed, mean-spirited one. He's already gotten into one fist fight.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
Personally I just delete broken plumbing and replace it. It gives the Simmies a bit more time to themselves.  :)

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »
Ausette's way to deal with the plumbing is perfect, but I personally just set one sim to do it, and when he gets evicted, set antoher. Or get a butler.

Offline Alieana4518

• Llama Wrangler
  • Isn't he a beauty? :)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
Is the HoH the HoH from Wednesday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Monday?
One day everything will make sense... On the way there, love like you'll never get hurt. -Erica Kohn

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
This looks really fun. I used to really love Big Brother!! I do know, HoH is for one week, so Wednesday to Wednesday. I will be using make needs static though, if I decide to play.  ;D

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »
Question. What do you do if one person is the only one that gains skills during the 2 day period? First week, I made her HoH, but it's Wednesday again and she's the only one that gained skills again. Also, just a note I have not been using make needs static!! *waiting for gasps of shock to stop* But I have dragged a bar or 2(or 3, maybe 4 haha). Plus I've had to use money cheats because none of them are working. Also, you can only lock the doors to everyone, everyone but one, and everyone but the household. The front gate is locked to everybody, but I had to let the HoH lock the room to everyone but her. On a fun note, I've had people slapping people, yelling at people, fighting, skinny dipping, getting in other people's ways, breaking things, and in general being very hilarious to watch. Free will is awesome without make needs static!!

Sportsfan

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
For mine I just made it a longer skill gaining period so there's more time for sims to gain skills.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
Esther: Either make the skill gaining period longer, or force them all to skill gain and wait about half a sim day. Some will stop, but others will continue, leaving one victorius. And yes, free will does cause sims to be both awesomely hilarious and fun to watch.  ;D

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
If you don't want to interfere with free will, try removing most of the fun items for the challenge period. I like to leave one group item, like the hot tub, so Sims will at least build relationships while they're slacking off.  :)

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »
Ok Ann, I'll force them for a little while. I've got the rules down, and I've got an awesome system working and don't want to have to make it longer. I know, without me controlling them, they are hilarious. I'm laughing almost the whole time playing the house haha. Even though it is a little annoying when their bladder need is low and they would rather scare someone than use the bathroom. ::) And excellent idea Ausette! I've got a giant room where I add all the skill items, than remove them after the 2 days, but I didn't remove the fun stuff when putting the skill stuff in. Thanks! And great tip about the hot tub but knowing my luck they will still skinny dip instead of skill.  :(

Offline athena

• Occult
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 12:08:50 AM »
 "A house needs to be fit to their needs...No skill items."

To fit their needs, they have to get a stove, but this is also a skill item. Can we place a stove at the start of the game?

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
The way I'm doing that, I bought them a stove, but I'm not counting the cooking skill as part of HoH. But, Ann can clarify, I hope I didn't break the rules! They don't have a microwave since it's an electronic.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
Stoves do not count. Unless you are planing on only using Quick Meals, or Autumn Salad, stoves are a must. And I forgot about the microwave being electronic! Well, the main point of that rule was to make them more secluded. So, no Esther, all the rules are still intact. And I applaud you for not using Make Needs Static!

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »
I really, really like this challenge! So much, in fact, that I'm playing now! ;D Thank you so much, I might even start a story about it...
'They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra just for you' - Larkin

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
The HoH room is an important edition to the house. It will be the luxury room. Electronics are allowed here and only here. It will include a private bathroom. The catch? It's locked to the current HoH and the butler (Seperate doors, if you have a butler).
Did you mean locked to everyone but the current HoH and the butler? If you haven't, I've got it wrong :-[ Ah well, slight rule modification for my game, ah well! ;D

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »
Did you mean locked to everyone but the current HoH and the butler? If you haven't, I've got it wrong :-[ Ah well, slight rule modification for my game, ah well! ;D

My interpretation is that it is locked so only the HoH and Butler can get in.

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 06:57:35 PM »
Stoves do not count. Unless you are planing on only using Quick Meals, or Autumn Salad, stoves are a must. And I forgot about the microwave being electronic! Well, the main point of that rule was to make them more secluded. So, no Esther, all the rules are still intact. And I applaud you for not using Make Needs Static!
Awesome! Thanks, I was going to at first, but I remembered another thread that talked about free will being kinda turned off when all needs are static, so I settled for dragging the bars if I have too, but I'm trying not to even do that. I only do it when they are in the red and don't seem to know where the fridge, bathrooms and beds are.  ::) It's really alot of fun, but I know if I was playing a normal game where I skill them hard I couldn't use that method but it's working great for this game!!
I had to do it that way too, so you're not the only one.
EDIT: Hehe Seabody did it too!  ;D

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
Yes, I mean lock it to where only the HoH and butler (if you have one) can enter. Just so the butler can clean in there and stuff. And, so no other guests are allowed to watch tv. The television actually makes it easier for the current HoH can't be HoH the following week. They're usually glued to it. Well, in my test run, they were.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
EDIT: Hehe Seabody did it too!  ;D

Correction: Will do it too.
I haven't started yet, but I will. I'm feeling a little sick today.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 03:53:47 AM »
I've started and will post my story soon.

Just a quick question, in your game after a skill week do you keep one or two of the skill items in the house?
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »
You may keep some skill items. I would not, because it provides distraction, but you can if you please.

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »
Can you tell me if this is correct? I don't really want to break more rules than neccessary (I use motherlode too much).

I have just made a big box house, decorated black, white and grey (other than the HoH's room). They have the cheapest bunkbeds-4 of them, so room for eight-and some sleeping bags, as everybody refuses to sleep on the top bunk. I will be getting rid of the sleeping bags, though. There are no pictures, sculptures, entertainment items, electronics, etc. In fact, the only thing they can do is socialize except on Mondays to Wednesdays. The HoH room has everything anyone would want; they hate it when it's change-over time! :D Is this okay? Not like I can change much from the last week, anyhow, and there are only 7 sims now.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »
Perfect Jessie! Motherlode is an overused cheat in this challenge anyway. Your sims are supposed to have lots of money, just because they might want an awesome house.

Oh did I forget to put something in the rule set? What I always do is give one sim the 'No Bills' LTR. Some people just put the mailbox in the fence (such as my sister), but it is so much easier without bills.

Sportsfan

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »
Well you have like unlimited money so you don't really need to worry about the bills you can just pay them at the last minute.

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
I doubt the repoman could get past my endless fences :D The Paparazzi can, somehow...

Offline Alieana4518

• Llama Wrangler
  • Isn't he a beauty? :)
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
I have another question, once it's gets down to five Sims, it's harder to eliminate. Like, what if the two Sims who aren't HoH or being up for elimination disagree on who to eliminate? Then how does it go from there? Especially when there's three left?
One day everything will make sense... On the way there, love like you'll never get hurt. -Erica Kohn

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
I have another question, once it's gets down to five Sims, it's harder to eliminate. Like, what if the two Sims who aren't HoH or being up for elimination disagree on who to eliminate? Then how does it go from there? Especially when there's three left?

In those cases, the Head of Houshold gets the last say. I flip a coin if the relationships are the same. When you get down to two Sims, you'll have to come up with a special challenge. Like going by Lifetime Happiness points, or getting the readers to vote.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 10:04:34 PM »
Exactly Ausette! With endless simoleons, it is really easy to pay bills. It just seems very tedious to have one sim be out of their endless rampage of freewill...

Offline athena

• Occult
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »
Thanks for the clarification that the stove is not a skill item, however I didn't know that cooking is not considered a skill point, I started rewarding the Sim as HOH who had the first skill point in cooking (only she had it), plus she developed two friends in Week 1. I didn't expect her to be the HOH, I thought she was just a pretty face!

Is the bookcase considered a skill item? It's the object I added after one week.  What about a swimming pool?

I also need to ask, what do you mean each Sim gets to vote on who has the least relationship with them? They vote by us taking notes and do the elimination by tallying. Is this correct?

I find that he art skill items (easel, guitar, etc) are unfair for the others who do not have a random virtuoso trait (I have two Sims with the virtuoso traits). Anyway, I will still put them in on the following weeks.

I modified the game a little bit, I document those Sims who do a good deed by free will and give them extra points for consideration during eviction. Good deeds mean cooking a group meal, so no one will starve; taking out the trash, mopping the floor, doing the dishes, doing the laundry.  A Sim member of the household was saved despite of her low relationships rating because of the number of good deeds she has done. The first Sim who got thrown out had low relationship points, no skills, and no good deed recorded - he was a couch potato.

I play without needs static and no butler. So far no one Congrats for the game! It's fun and I always love high free will and no aging in the game.  ;D

Sportsfan

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2011, 10:22:48 PM »
I guess the bookcase and swimming pool could be counted.

The voting means you look at the relationship panel and they vote for the sim they have the lowest relationship with. You tally the votes.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »
I don't count the pool. Usually, the sims get exhausted (or fatigued... whatever) before the skill bar goes up very much. If it really matters, give them the pool on athletic week.

Bookcases count. Sims could randomly grab a skilling book. But, you could remove those books. So, no skill books, but bookcases are good.

I had a sim with the Savvy Sculptor trait, yet he didn't win HoH. So, the specific skill traits only count if they work towards them.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
I've never had a Sim pick up a skill book on free will. They'll read The Adventures of Raymundo for the 25th time instead.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Sportsfan

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
You could always open the bookshelf and sell/delete all the ones you don't want.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »
That's what I would do. Get the books out, put them on the ground or in an inventory, and SELL them.

P.S.- My sims have picked up the dreaded skilling books, just because there were none left. So, get many books, just so they don't go bookless and crazy.

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 02:52:41 AM »
I love the idea of a big brother house!  I've started it and have a terrible group of housemates!  hahah!  that Randomizer is so mean.  I think half my Sims are Grumpy, and the other half insane.  The mean-spirited on is also the one who skills up most and becomes HoH... and he hates everyone so picking two for eviction is hard (Since I want to kick him out!!) 

I may post a story later about it!

Thanks for the great idea!
:)

Offline Lhb

• Nooboo
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 06:51:34 AM »
This is something completely different from my usual game play. I've already run several groups through to see how they would react. Amoung other things I gave them only 4 double beds so if they wanted to sleep they'd have to be friends with someone. I ran the same group through several times and got totally different results.  I did not particularly make life easy for them and used their happiness as a tie breaker.

jadefarnill

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
I love this idea! I'm starting a celeb big brother house! I'm using a random traits set though. can't wait to us ethe new free will with my sims!

frozenbeat

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 01:03:16 AM »
Hello! I'm currently starting a Big Brother Challenge with random traits Sims,
I'm looking for a set of rules to follow, to serve as a guide while playing,
 can I use the rules you have for my challenge,
and can I also tweak it a little bit, to fit my playing style. Thank you! :D

World peace.

Offline AnnBeiFong

• Occult
  • Probably a bad idea.
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »
Yeah, sure you can, frozenbeat. Several people have tweaked them, I have tweaked them.

Lhb, what I love about this challenge that is that it's almost always different. Most challenges are, but the changes are drastic. Like if everyone in your house is friendly, eliminations are hard because everyone loves everyone. But if everyone is mean-spirited or evil or divas or whatever, it makes the gameplay really dynamic. You can't get the same results.

I just want to thank everyone for playing this challenge and for your feedback. It really means the world to me.

Offline sharpsiren

• Townie
Big Brother: The Sims 3 Rules
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 02:27:36 AM »
Oh, boy, this looks like so much fun I think I'm going to do it. This will be my first ever Sims challenge!

Offline ilovebakedgoods

• Llama Wrangler
  • I just swallowed my gum.
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »
This sounds like a lot of fun so I'm going to start a BB "family" tonight. I probably won't document it in a story form due to time issues (not really enough time to dedicate to story writing and screenshots right now), but I was wondering if anyone has been sharing their BB project stories around here? I have looked throughout this thread and a few others but I can't find any BB related stories.

Offline Forest_Bear

• Llama Wrangler
  • Simlish Song Addict
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »
I like Big Brother! I might give this challenge a go. *puts on to-do list*
Hi Im new! Call me Forest or Boo.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 04:21:36 PM »
Just a few things I need to clarify.

1) Can the same person be HOH for two weeks in a row?
2) Can I have a little bit of control, just to make the story lines a bit more exciting (e.g making them kiss or something)
3) Can I use the 'testingcheatsenabled true' and 'Ctrl' cheat to get rid of that Stir Crazy moodlet?
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Lytaren

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 05:48:33 AM »
This sounds like so much fun! If seasons doesn't arrive tomorrow I'll be playing a BB house over the weekend, might even post a story about it. If I play it I would dress them. I hate the random clothing that sims sometimes end up in especially with SN with the old fashioned skits mixed with modern tops!

I'm really looking forward to experiencing some traits the ive not played before!

Offline smartburn

• Occult
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »
I have to say this is a fun challenge and I'd still be playing right now if my game hadn't crashed to desktop. Naturally the last save was a Sunday, just before evicting the second challenger - the game crashed the following Thursday, just as I was about to see who the newest HOH was going to nominate for the 3rd eviction.  ::) 

One of the challengers was a neurotic, evil supernatural skeptic, and I happened to have Bonehilda in there - it was great fun (sometimes annoying, but otherwise fun) seeing him run away from Bonehilda everytime she appeared, and then become fiendishly delighted because he watched himself suffer.  ;D 

I tend to micromanage everything and focus on skills and jobs when I play, perhaps to a fault, so this is a nice break.

Offline Lytaren

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »
A friend of mine and I started this challenge last night.  It was so much more fun to play with someone else to watch too. When I played it on my own I got a bit bored of watching and not controlling, and gave up after week 2.  The things that sims get up to when you dont control them... Incredibly funny.

Offline doxxielover

• Immortal
  • Hello everyone!
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »
I just might do this as I absolutely love this show! Thanks for making it! Also if we change the rules just a tad by being about to choose the look, style, (traits maybe?), can it still be considered official?? Also is there any ranking I have to "enter". Or just do it freely and write a story? Thanks!
I love this forum and just want to say thank you to everyone! :) Have a great rest of your day!

Offline Namaya

• Townie
  • Every writer has a best friend inside their head.
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2013, 08:53:44 AM »
I always did Big Brother in sims 2! It was so much fun! I might be doing this challenge some time later. Here's a suggestion for people to maybe make the game more exiting:

I used to divide the house up into a rich and a poor part (they did that in the real big brother as well once). Every week I would give my sims a challenge like painting a picture etc. and the 50% of the sims that got the job done the quickest/best or sold a painting for the most money etc got to live in the rich part of the house, while the others had to live in the poor part. It was really funny to see how the sims in the poor part kept trying to find ways to the rich part but always complained about there not being any doors :P.
Please read my stories! Any feedback is welcome:

Between Dreams and Sunset
The Beastly Legacy

Offline folcon

• Immortal
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »
I have just had a fun thought for a run on this project.  With the Movie Stuff stuff pack, a superhero themed edition of Big Brother.

anything