Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 240513 times)

Offline Mahmeya

• Townie
Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #500 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »
post some more pictures I need inspiration
Not sure how much it'll inspire you, but I'll try. It's not an attempt to make horse breeding in as big scale as others here, but just a family with horses.
So, here comes the ultimate Animal Band. I guess I should try going play for tips with them.

Left to right: Bolt (father of the foal), Rex, Fred, Bandito and his mother - wild horse from Appaloosa plains.
I really like Bandito's leg coloring: Front right and back left black as father, other two white like mother.

Offline SnowPrint

• NPC
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »
How am I able to sell my horses and make a ranch. I haven't been able to figure it out. Please help

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »
Snowprint-

Making a business out of ranching on Sims is always very enjoyable. All you need is your created sim(s) and at least two horses, a male and female. If you are already playing, you can adopt horses using your phone, the newspaper, the computer, or by clicking on the Equestrian Centre and then clicking on 'buy horse'.

Next, you want to purchase a very large property. It has to be quite large because horses have very finicky exercise bars and they often need to run. You can build your sims a little house, and then build a large pasture with the fence tool in build mode. Remember to add a gate, and if you don't want your horses getting out, in live mode click on it and you are able to lock it so pets cannot get through. A barn is optional. Then, simply fill the pasture with horse related items from buy mode. Add a water trough so they can drink, hay bales (you'll have to scatter them in live mode, by the way), a salt lick, a ball toy, perhaps even some of the smaller jumps. You don't have to add any training activities, however, for there are training grounds as long as you aren't in a town like Bridgeport. If you aren't in Appaloosa Plains, I suggest going into edit town and making sure you have the Equestrian Center and a Training Facility (there are two).

After you have your setup, go for a ride, learn some riding skill and have your horses start working on their jumping and racing skills. If you want to breed them right away, you are going to need a stall, which is found in buy mode with the other horse objects. Get their relationship up, and the option to try for foal should appear under a romantic option. You might run into some pathing issues, but keep on trying until they get it done. Hopefully you'll hear chimes and a foal will be born in a couple of days. Another option to breed is to ride your mare into the Equestrian Centre and breed her with a stallion there.

Using the Equestrian Centre, you can enter your horse in a variety of competitions at different levels of skill after 5:00 p.m game time. Make sure you have the skill to win, and you can get a nice amount of cash and a cool trophy.

If that foal has grown up or you want to part with a hoofed friend, then just mount the horse in front of the Equestrian Centre and then click on the building. 'Sell Horse' will be an option, and depending on how skilled the horse is you get paid more for selling.

Ranching is one of my favourite things to do in sims and I hope that you enjoy it as well. I also recommend going to the first page of this thread and follow what MaryMarsh has done, for it's very informational if you want to turn horses into a profitable business. Good luck!

~Estella.

Offline SnowPrint

• NPC
« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2014, 02:03:09 PM »
Thank you for your help. Now lest see if I can do it lol. :D

Offline CaptainCMD

• NPC
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
I LOVE the original ranch!  It is fantastic!  I have been working on here with horses but I don't like my setup very much.  Unfortunately I'm one of those folks who has a high appreciation for designs but am not very capable.  This is the best I've seen!  Any chance it is up on the Exchange or available to download somewhere?  I'd love to be able to work with a ranch like this!

Offline bestistbuddy

• Nooboo
« Reply #505 on: March 12, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »
I just read through most of this thread and found it fascinating with lots of great information.  I have just started playing with a horse ranch and love it.  However, I have noticed that all my mares give birth to male foals - I never get a female. Is this normal for the game? It would be much better if the gender was random and produced females instead of always male offspring. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it?  I use twallan's mods (mc/sp etc)  This one issue is really bothering me.
I have sp set to balanced for genders, and my ranch started with an adopted male wild horse, then an adopted female horse. She gave birth to 2 males. Then I adopted another female and she had 2 males (separate times). Another female gave birth to 2 males..... I have sold some so now I have 2 females and 4 males on my ranch. But as you can see, I keep getting males no female births.

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #506 on: March 22, 2014, 05:26:30 AM »
bestistbuddy- it should be completely random. ive had times where I get fillys for weeks on end, then colts, and so forth. just luck I guess :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »
You should change your mod to random, not balanced.  The same thing was happening to me when I used that mod on balanced...I was only getting boys.

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
Yes, when you have Twallan's story progression on and the gender set to balanced, the game looks at the genders of all the horses alive and attempts to balance the population by setting the gender on new pregnancies. Most likely your game is filled with female horses, so the mod might be making your mare have colts to even out the population.

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #509 on: April 05, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »
now the question is, where has MaryMarsh got to??

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #510 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:49 AM »
MaryMarsh left the forum a while ago, I think. :( Hopefully more people will join again, though. I've recently started my own ranch.

Dellena

« Reply #511 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:44 AM »
I wonder what a horse ranch of the future would look like?  I might have to play around in Oasis Landing in a week or so.

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #512 on: April 10, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
Okay, guys, I really need your help. My mare, Tidal, just gave birth to a filly! But I have no idea what I should name her! Suggestions would be great! My other mare, Amaya, will be giving birth soon too; so name suggestions would be ideal. :)

Dellena

« Reply #513 on: April 10, 2014, 05:35:54 AM »
Peaches   :) 

Although if you're looking for a tool for names, try looking up baby names online.  There's a lot of them out there and you can get great ideas from them.  Especially if they do ethnic ones.

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #514 on: April 10, 2014, 05:58:25 AM »
Welcome to Emerald Acres Horse Ranch!
(I don't know what breed they are as I downloaded all of my starting horses form LittleV)

The stable has room for 5 horses and their is a glass wall separating them from the business side.
The house has a living room, a dining room, an eat-in kitchen, 3 bathrooms, 2 master bedrooms, 1 study, 1 balcony common area and 1 gym (but I might turn that into a third bedroom as Sam and Holly have been wanting to try for a baby.)
You can get the house on its own or together with the ranch at my studio; http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?action=default&persona=avalxnche
I will be uploading them shortly.

This is our stallion; Apollo.

This is one of our two mares;  Amaya.

This is the other mare; Tidal.

The two mares drinking, side by side.

Here is the gang! These guys made it all possible. From left to right: Oliver Williams (brother of Holly Williams), Holly Williams (sister of Oliver Williams, wife to Sam Davis), Sam Davis (brother-in-law to Olive Williams, husband to Holly Williams).

I'll post more photos as soon as I can. Tidal recently gave birth to a beautiful filly called Era. Amaya is expecting.

Dellena

« Reply #515 on: April 10, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
Looks good :)

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #516 on: April 10, 2014, 09:34:32 AM »
Our first foal; a filly.

Era
Sire: Apollo
Dam: Tidal
Traits: Obedient, Agile, Untrained

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Era is all grown up now!

She had just lost her "untrained" trait. That is Oliver riding her.

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #517 on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
The second foal; another filly.

(I forgot to get a photo of when she was a foal, so I'll just post a grown up photo)

Rayne
Dam: Amaya
Traits: Obedient, Fast, Untrained

In the photo posted, Sam is riding her and she had just lost the "untrained" trait.

P.S sorry for posting so much, I'm excited! :P

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #518 on: April 10, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
Update
Rayne sold for 9,300
Era sold for 8,500
Apollo and Tidal have both mastered the jumping and running skill.
Amaya has mastered the running skill and is very close to mastering the jumping skill.
Apollo and Tidal are trying for a foal.
Sam and Holly are trying for a baby.

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #519 on: April 10, 2014, 10:25:55 AM »
Your ranch looks wonderful, avalxnche. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with your horses and sims. :)

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #520 on: April 10, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
Thanks, Estella. Ages ago I got into the sims 3 ranch life because of Mary. All of the lots I made weren't that good so I never shared them, that and the fact that no one had posted on this forum since like 2012. But I recently checked the forum out again; low and behold, people were posting!That got me really excited because I've always wanted to join a casual sims 3 community, nothing like equus sims. (Although, I have been thinking about joining that recently.) Sims 3 ranch life really pulls you in and doesn't let go!
By the way: Holly, Tidal and Amaya are all expecting! Apollo is doing very well in his races, winning almost all of them.

Offline avalxnche

• Nooboo
    • Avalxnche Tumblr
« Reply #521 on: April 11, 2014, 04:19:50 AM »
Another filly; Peaches

Peaches
Dam: Tidal
Traits: Brave, Obedient, Untrained

Offline amelia

• Nooboo
  • fly away with me
« Reply #522 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »
Hello! I'm new  ;D I have been sneaking around for a while and reading y'alls posts…I just wanted to say, thank for the inspiration! I used Dellena's Bridge House from House Swap to start my Breeding Program. I'll show y'all some pictures later, just wanted to make my presence known :)
-amelia

hello.
my name is amelia.
if you need me, or i haven't replied
message me.
[ origin account ]

washington dynasty williams dynasty disaster dynasty

Offline MagpieC

• Nooboo
« Reply #523 on: December 20, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
I hope reviving an old thread is OK. I've been lurking on the forums since my husband introduced me to sims3 about a year ago (he already had the base game and a handful of EPs before we got together and now that the release of Sims4 has reduced the price of Sims3 EPs to a reasonable level we have added Pets, Generations, and Into the Future).
I was inspired by this thread to attempt a horse ranch of my own.
I started with 2 sims (an engaged couple, Anna and Aethelred) and 2 horses (a Mare, Banner and a Stallion, Brony). I like to use British royal dynasties to pick a surname and remembered an anecdote about George III being known as 'Farmer George' because he took an interest in the agricultural revolution that was happening during the 18th century (things like crop rotation to increase soil fertility, selective breeding of animals etc.).
This is a roundabout way of saying I picked the surname Hannover for my Sims. Then when I had created my sims and moved on to create a horse I found the Hannoverian breed (which I don't remember noticing when I went through my horse mad phase in my early teens) and it seemed like a natural fit.
I will try to post some pictures with more details tomorrow (today I'm on the laptop without Sims installed).

Offline MagpieC

• Nooboo
« Reply #524 on: December 24, 2014, 03:29:35 AM »
So, not quite as soon as I originally planned here are some screenshots of my horses.
I started with Banner (here being ridden by Aethelred)

And Brony (ridden by Anna)

And then I adopted Fru Fru (a mare) as a foal from Honey Darnell, orignally with the intention of training her and then selling her off. But then I got attached and decided I wanted to see what a foal from her would look like. I got my answer when she gave birth to a colt named Cavilier (I'm trying to do an alphabetical theme to keep track of generations).

The next  conception with Brony and Banner was fraught as I thought that keeping my sims inside and the horses outside would be fine but apparently they saw Brony making his move out of the kitchen window and got the 'witnessed betrayal' moodlet.

But a few days later a filly Coco was born.