Author Topic: Factory Reset: Fix Your Game with 1/4 the Time of a Reinstall  (Read 131689 times)

Offline LadyMacGuffin

• NPC
Re: Factory Reset: Fix Your Game with 1/4 the Time of a Reinstall
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2013, 02:35:06 AM »
Having had to do this a couple of times now, I've made myself a little handy list of the files to be copied from the old Sims folder to the new one, so as to avoid having to reinstall everything, avoid losing saved Sims, etc.  I just wanted to share it where it might be found by people looking for this kind of information. :)  (BTW, I've been reading these forums for ages, since long before I even signed up for an account, IIRC. This is just the first time I've got anything to say that I thought was worth sharing ;)).

Folders:

Saves (this is your saved games; sometimes when doing this, I only copy the most recent games, knowing I can restore older backups later if I need to)

Mods (assuming you have mods, and as this is often a source of difficulty, you might want to reinstall selectively if you're trouble-shooting, etc.)

SavedSims (sims you've downloaded or created and saved to the bin)

InstalledWorlds (includes store worlds and custom content worlds; EP worlds are stored with the actual game install)

DCBackup (the ONLY thing in here you actually need is the ccmerged.package; everything else can go if you need to save the space or just don't want to copy it over)

DCCache (this appears to be where the game stores all the information on your installed content, so if you copy this over, you don't have to reinstall it all)

Library (saved or downloaded lots, households, etc.)

Individual files (all found in the main root of The Sims 3 folder):

Options.ini (all your saved options such as volume, game options, windowed mode, etc. etc.)

userPresets.package (all your saved patterns, styles, and other such data)

As far as I can tell, and based on my own experimentation and stuff I've read around the web, that should restore all your content, saves, etc., and it still does generate the "factory reset" as far as I'm able to tell (even the install information, which surprised me).

I hope this is helpful. I seem to spend more time fixing things than I do playing the game.... *sigh*

Offline ssaff

• Nooboo
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2013, 05:17:24 AM »
Thanks to MoonsAreBlue for starting this thread.
I would "never" have thought of FactoryReset involving human intervention (*chuckles*).
You have generated a plethora of Helpful Hints - too-numerous-to-read (At The Moment [ATM]); too fabulous to not bookmark.
Thanks to EveryOne who has responded to MoonsAreBlue - I'm looking forward to revisiting 'Bookmarks' and getting to know you better.
:D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »
I would like to point out that while keeping some of the things that Lady MacGuffin pointed are does help in saving time from reinstalling.   Moving over those files can negate the effects of doing the factory reset.   Something in one of those folders could be exactly why you're having the problem in the first place.   Always put back folders with caution.
Origin ID: Ricalynn
Current Active Stories: Artie's TS4 Dynasty || Grim Rivalries

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »
I'm having a problem with not being able to place community lots even when I change the correct size to the right type.  Could a factory reset fix this?

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
Hey Moons, I've done this alot and it's always fixed my problems. Until yesterday. I was playing in Starlight Shores and the lag got so awful I saved and quit. I than renamed the folder, started the launcher got a brand new folder, I just added a couple store items, and my save file I was playing. Started the game back up and it's still so laggy, getting through 1 sim day takes about half an hour. Is it Starlight Shores? I know Bridgeport is laggy, but I hadn't heard that about SS. Any ideas?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:24 AM »
Hey Esther did you do a resetSim * on the town?  You could have some weird routing causing issues.
Origin ID: Ricalynn
Current Active Stories: Artie's TS4 Dynasty || Grim Rivalries

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
Yes I did. I played a little while last night and it seems to come and go. I reset the town several times. I'm thinking of packing him up and moving to SV, but he's level 9 in the singer career and I'm trying to make it to level 10 before moving.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
Yes I did. I played a little while last night and it seems to come and go. I reset the town several times. I'm thinking of packing him up and moving to SV, but he's level 9 in the singer career and I'm trying to make it to level 10 before moving.

Every time I've played in Starlight Shores the game has become impossibly laggy in about the second week.  Last time I tried, the game was pausing every 10 minutes (game time).  Resetting provides a temporary, very short-term fix only.  I've pretty much given up on trying to play in that town.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »
Sounds like SS is as bad as BP! Ah well, I know he will keep his career and skills so I might just get him and his family out of there.

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »
Every time I've played in Starlight Shores the game has become impossibly laggy in about the second week.  Last time I tried, the game was pausing every 10 minutes (game time).  Resetting provides a temporary, very short-term fix only.  I've pretty much given up on trying to play in that town.

Starlight Shores (Snores) played without a glitch until maybe like 10 weeks in for me (Or two generations of Sims, however long that may be.)
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
Starlight Shores (Snores) played without a glitch until maybe like 10 weeks in for me (Or two generations of Sims, however long that may be.)

Interesting.  I'd sure like to know what makes the same town behave so differently in different peoples' games.  I have a new, very powerful computer, so I know that isn't the problem.  But it would be nice to know why things like this happen.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
Interesting.  I'd sure like to know what makes the same town behave so differently in different peoples' games.  I have a new, very powerful computer, so I know that isn't the problem.  But it would be nice to know why things like this happen.

This might be because of Overwatch, do you run it?

Fausta Legacy

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »
This might be because of Overwatch, do you run it?

No, I have no Mods in my game.  Are you saying that it is Overwatch that keeps your game from having the Starlight Shores lag that my game experiences?

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
No, I have no Mods in my game.  Are you saying that it is Overwatch that keeps your game from having the Starlight Shores lag that my game experiences?

Possibly. At the time I was in Starlight Snores, I ran Twallan's Storyprog, Errortrap, and Overwatch. Since the other two don't speed up your game, Overwatch is the only logical choice. Of course, this is the Sims, and maybe my game was just being Special.

Fausta Legacy

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2013, 06:43:13 PM »
Possibly. At the time I was in Starlight Snores, I ran Twallan's Storyprog, Errortrap, and Overwatch. Since the other two don't speed up your game, Overwatch is the only logical choice. Of course, this is the Sims, and maybe my game was just being Special.

Wiry, given your inherent specialness, I could just about believe that.  ;)

By the way, when you typed the name of the town above, did you mean to spell it like that, or was it a typo?

Edited to add:  I'm afraid we're straying slightly from the topic here.  My fault.  I just couldn't resist "Starlight Snores"!

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »
Wiry, given your inherent specialness, I could just about believe that.  ;)

By the way, when you typed the name of the town above, did you mean to spell it like that, or was it a typo?

Edited to add:  I'm afraid we're straying slightly from the topic here.  My fault.  I just couldn't resist "Starlight Snores"!

Yeah, sorry about the off topic. That was intentional  ;D

Fausta Legacy

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2013, 11:09:31 PM »
I moved them to SV and the same thing is happening. The only thing I have done differently the last week or so is buy and install Diesel. It's getting frustrating to play, even in SV where I used to have no problems at all. How could Diesel mess the game up?  :'(

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:38 AM »
I moved them to SV and the same thing is happening. The only thing I have done differently the last week or so is buy and install Diesel. It's getting frustrating to play, even in SV where I used to have no problems at all. How could Diesel mess the game up?  :'(
Try opening a brand spankin New world and a new family.  See if problems persist.

Fausta Legacy

Offline DanBrunetu

• The Law Man
  • Townie
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
Well... the more Expansions/Stuff Packs you have, the harder will run the game due to much content from the packs.  I don't have Diesel and I don't believe that Diesel is messing your game...

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
I hope it's not! I'm in Marion right now so I can't check but I should be going home tomorrow.

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
Sad and happy to say my new file doesn't have these issues. So my other file must be corrupted or something.  :'(

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
I have just done  a factory reset and my multi tab is greyed out.  Can someone help please?

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
I have just done  a factory reset and my multi tab is greyed out.  Can someone help please?

The store content item? What do you mean by greyed out? Is it greyed out on the launcher or in the game?

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »
Moons - It is greyed out in game.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
Are you sure you reinstalled the multitab right? The only thing I can think of is that you have shop mode enabled and something went wrong when reinstalling the multitab, causing the game to have it greyed out.

Edit: This post may be able to help you.