Author Topic: Sims 3 - Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide  (Read 509127 times)

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
Re: Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide.
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 09:07:40 AM »
You can download Winrar and use it indefinitely without actually paying for it.  After a while it gives you a pop-up saying that you need to buy it, you click the "X" in the corner of the pop-up and continue as usual.

If you right click on the file you want to extract and select extract here you don't even get a pop up message.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »
I just added WinRar. Do'h! I should've linked it in the first place, as I use it to extract my mod folders. I just realized I pulled a Homer Simpson when typing these instructions.  ::)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
Learned that the hard wqy. I unconsciously (bad habit) ticked the download for the patch before removong my mods. My sims could NEVER leave their vacation in China. I tried numerous times and they dropped the issue to did something else. Live and learn. So, NOW, I vow never to download before a mod patch is in place ; and before removing my oldpatches.

This is actually more likely an issue caused by the patch itself, and is probably not related to your mods at all.  Issues like this occur somewhat often, and we've seen this exact thing with the latest patch:  you're unable to complete an adventure that was started before the patch, but adventures you start afterwards appear to work properly.  People who don't actually use mods have this problem, too, so the issue cannot possibly be related.

Your best protection against this is to back up your saves regularly and keep multiple saves of the same game at different sim times.  You especially want to back up your game saves before you install a patch.  I forgot to do this with the last one and it rendered one of my saves completely useless.  :(

Offline bobbittx

• Nooboo
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
The contents of the resource.cfg file are:

Code: [Select]
Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 1000
PackedFile Overrides/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Overrides/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

The way I understand this (someone else may correct me) is that the Priority number gives you a lot of flexibility when trying out mods.

Overrides with a priority of 1000 will take precedence over the game cache (objects already installed through the launcher). Meaning if you've created or downloaded a special version of an object, as long as it is in the Overrides folder the base game/store object should always be overridden. 

The Packages folder has the same priority as the DCCache (downloaded store items, exchange items, mods that come in the Sims3pack format). This is the folder I usually have several sub-folders in. I've named one "NRaas" so that I can keep Twallan's mods contained in a single folder to compare dates with his recent updates wiki page. I have others for CAP, slider, and other types of mods that rarely need to wait for game updates and can be used on any patch level. I have two others "Scripts" and "Objects" that do depend on game updates to remain functional. If a new game patch hits, I'll temporarily remove the Nraas, Scripts, and Objects folders and start a new save game if I get an itch to see the new features.

All new mods I download or create/modify are initially placed in Test. My own rule is that they stay there for at least 2-3 weeks before I move them over to the Packages folder. A busted mod might not necessarily surface as an immediate issue, in fact sometimes its hard to tell they are impacting your game at all.

I don't use the Probation folder much, usually only when I have downloaded several mods at once and then notice lag or unusual behavior. I use it as a secondary test/staging folder to try and see which one(s) are at fault or if I suspect there maybe a conflict that the Dashboard tool doesn't see.

In general, mod use is really going to boil down to trial and error to determine what works for each individual. It is real easy to get frustrated and angry, especially for people that are into 3+ generations save. I used to treat all the verbiage for "make sure to backup and save your files" as people being overly precautionary. But now I have a copy of my game folder for every month in the past 5 months.  - Overkill and borderline OCD: yes. Smashing my face into the keyboard because I messed up my game: not as much. ;)

Offline KirbyAndKat

• Believers Never Die.
  • Immortal
  • Sorry for constant avatar changing.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
Will mods slow down my computer?

I tend to have loud opinions. So sorry. I got tons of issues, lol. I can also be found on Yahoo! Answers.
Click here to view the best dance crew: I.aM.Me

Kids Of Cherryblossom Drive: New Drama

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
It all depends on how much RAM you have, if you have a real video card or a graphics chip, or if you're on a laptop or a desktop. If you put too much in at a time on a lower end computer that doesn't meet the system requirements for TS3, then yes, your computer will slow down.

Offline KirbyAndKat

• Believers Never Die.
  • Immortal
  • Sorry for constant avatar changing.
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
Mm, okay. I'm looking into downloading the Pose Player mod from MTS.

I tend to have loud opinions. So sorry. I got tons of issues, lol. I can also be found on Yahoo! Answers.
Click here to view the best dance crew: I.aM.Me

Kids Of Cherryblossom Drive: New Drama

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:07 AM »
Is it possible to sticky this thread? I mean this is the first place people are going to come for information and it's getting somewhat buried.

Kindest regards
KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
@Kirby: Pose Player is an object mod, so it shouldn't be too much trouble. If you use CC, that tends to be the real culprit, because they tend to have higher polycounts.

@KJ: I agree. I think this topic should be sticky.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but whichever moderator sticked this thread. Thank you for doing so. I think this is a good idea, to keep it sticky, so it doesn't get lost.  :) I would really like to know the person who did, so I can edit the original post, and thank the mod/administrator who made this thread sticky.

bshag

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »
Hi jenna, just thought I'd pop in and say thanks so much for the guide!  Even though I spent 3 hours last night wrestling with the cfg file, ::) I found out how easy it was to dl mods.  So far I've got MC, MC w/cheats, Relativity and Traveller.  I believe that's all for now, but wow, does it make a difference in gameplay. 

You can teach an old dog new tricks. ;D  Now all I have to do is teach salty...that may take awhile. ;)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 04:34:10 PM »
Ok, I have finally decided to at least install a couple of the mods to make my game play better.  So far, I have made my folders and downloaded Winrar and the cfg file. It says in the instructions, to "save as" and put it in the mods folder.  When I click on the cfg file, there is no option to save as.  Can you drag and drop into that folder and then extract it?  I did try that and it made another folder, which I suppose it is suppose to do.  I am sort of lost at this point, lol.   :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
Nevermind, I got it to extract and everything works.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »
You guys are very welcome! I'm so happy I can finally share the help and answer the questions on this family friendly site. I'm happy you guys can learn about mods, and get all the help you need. Modding my games have defiantly improved my Simming experience, even if I don't get to officially earn a spot in the HoF for our challenges we have on our forum. To me, even our most experienced mod users, can learn a thing or two, especially from such an awesome community, right?  :)

Even, I have to ask questions once in a while, and I've always had an aptitude with computers, and learned how to install mods immediately, long before I discovered this community! Yet I still had to ask questions on how to get started on the official TS3 Facebook page!

Offline Spork-tastic

• Watcher
  • Keeping it Spork Since 2011
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
I got stuck on step 4. I downloaded Resources.cfg and placed it in the mods folder. I already have a program for unzipping folders. That's when I got really confused.

Edit: Never mind! Sorry! I FINALLY figured it out between multiple 5 minute breaks LOL.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:47 AM »
If you already have an unzipper, you can use that.

Jeana -

On the website, you are downloading the mods from, (Nraas, modthesims.info), right click the rar or zip files and select "Save Target As..."

May I ask why? For me, at least, left clicking on the link to download suffices.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
I'll try to type this best I can, with three fingers. But I am on vista, and for me at least, the drop down menu, will appear on when you right click something.

:)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
No, I mean, if I want to download the "OnlyVampireORPaparazziCanEatCake" file in the following screenshot, I'd need to left click on "Nona_CowPlant_Config_OnlyVampireORPaparazziCanEatCake.zip" link, instead of Right-Clicking, then choosing "Save Target As". I've always been able to, even back when I had my old, slow, desktop computer.

Offline SecretBoy

• The DreamStone Immortal Dynasty starring Christopher and Zelda Dreamstone!
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
To be fair, I'm not a user of mods,but I might be in the future. Ctrl+F ing this page
{my blog to come soon}

Offline angelcat621

• Happy Cat Servant
  • Llama Wrangler
  • I'm still here everyone!
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
I want to thank jeanamarie for making this guide about mods, and this site for opening up the Mods board. I've never used mods before in my life, but with the help of this guide I had them safely installed and running within 10 minutes. It was so easy! Yet I probably never would've had the courage to do it had I not run across this clearly written, jargon-free guide.

I particularly love the mods from Nraas; they include so much functionality that should've been included with the game, in my opinion (skill modifier and family tree repairer for the win!)
The cat is cryptic, and close to strange things which men cannot see. -H.P. Lovecraft 

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
NRAAS, always saves the day! I had no idea what I would do without the help of twallan, as well as this forum, and discovering new mods, in such a family friendly atmosphere.

That being said, you're welcome, and as I said, glad I could help. I know I wouldn't like running into a not very nice atmosphere if I needed help with mods, and I know you wouldn't either.  :)

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
  • Corey :)
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
I'm reinstalling my mods after deleting the entire Mods folder. I did this, but for some reason the mod isn't showing up in game:

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »
I'm reinstalling my mods after deleting the entire Mods folder. I did this, but for some reason the mod isn't showing up in game:

I'm having a hard time reading the text in your picture but it looks like your Resource.cfg is wrong. It should just be Resource.cfg. Do this:
1. Move that mods folder out to your Desktop or elsewhere.
2. Download this: http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip  -- This is the framework from ModTheSims
3. Unzip this FrameworkSetup.zip in your Sims Folder (just to be extra clear: /Users/<username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ ). This will add the Mods Folder, with the proper Resource.cfg file, as well as Mods\Packages, which includes a NoIntromod and a NoBuildSparkles mod.

Now, to test the Mods folder, start your game. If you have done this correctly, you will not see the EA intro video, with all the plumbobs etc. Your game will skip straight to the loading screen. If you do see the video, you probably didn't unzip the file to the right folder.

If you didn't see the video, shut down the game, and add StoryProgression (make sure you unzipped it properly) to your Mods\Packages folder. You can delete the NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles mods if you don't want them.

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
  • Corey :)
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
I'm having a hard time reading the text in your picture but it looks like your Resource.cfg is wrong. It should just be Resource.cfg. Do this:
1. Move that mods folder out to your Desktop or elsewhere.
2. Download this: http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip  -- This is the framework from ModTheSims
3. Unzip this FrameworkSetup.zip in your Sims Folder (just to be extra clear: /Users/<username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ ). This will add the Mods Folder, with the proper Resource.cfg file, as well as Mods\Packages, which includes a NoIntromod and a NoBuildSparkles mod.

Now, to test the Mods folder, start your game. If you have done this correctly, you will not see the EA intro video, with all the plumbobs etc. Your game will skip straight to the loading screen. If you do see the video, you probably didn't unzip the file to the right folder.

If you didn't see the video, shut down the game, and add StoryProgression (make sure you unzipped it properly) to your Mods\Packages folder. You can delete the NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles mods if you don't want them.

Thanks, I just have one question. How do you unzip something properly? I'm not that smart when it comes to mods.

Offline Corylea

• Townie
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
Thanks, I just have one question. How do you unzip something properly? I'm not that smart when it comes to mods.
Read the "Sims 3 Custom Content Basics" at ModTheSims:  http://nene.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_CC_Basics

Scroll down to the section "Zip, Rar, and 7z Files."