Author Topic: Sims 3 - Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide  (Read 860401 times)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Re: Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide.
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
NRAAS, always saves the day! I had no idea what I would do without the help of twallan, as well as this forum, and discovering new mods, in such a family friendly atmosphere.

That being said, you're welcome, and as I said, glad I could help. I know I wouldn't like running into a not very nice atmosphere if I needed help with mods, and I know you wouldn't either.  :)

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
  • Corey :)
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
I'm reinstalling my mods after deleting the entire Mods folder. I did this, but for some reason the mod isn't showing up in game:

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »
I'm reinstalling my mods after deleting the entire Mods folder. I did this, but for some reason the mod isn't showing up in game:

I'm having a hard time reading the text in your picture but it looks like your Resource.cfg is wrong. It should just be Resource.cfg. Do this:
1. Move that mods folder out to your Desktop or elsewhere.
2. Download this: http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip  -- This is the framework from ModTheSims
3. Unzip this FrameworkSetup.zip in your Sims Folder (just to be extra clear: /Users/<username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ ). This will add the Mods Folder, with the proper Resource.cfg file, as well as Mods\Packages, which includes a NoIntromod and a NoBuildSparkles mod.

Now, to test the Mods folder, start your game. If you have done this correctly, you will not see the EA intro video, with all the plumbobs etc. Your game will skip straight to the loading screen. If you do see the video, you probably didn't unzip the file to the right folder.

If you didn't see the video, shut down the game, and add StoryProgression (make sure you unzipped it properly) to your Mods\Packages folder. You can delete the NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles mods if you don't want them.

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
  • Corey :)
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
I'm having a hard time reading the text in your picture but it looks like your Resource.cfg is wrong. It should just be Resource.cfg. Do this:
1. Move that mods folder out to your Desktop or elsewhere.
2. Download this: http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip  -- This is the framework from ModTheSims
3. Unzip this FrameworkSetup.zip in your Sims Folder (just to be extra clear: /Users/<username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ ). This will add the Mods Folder, with the proper Resource.cfg file, as well as Mods\Packages, which includes a NoIntromod and a NoBuildSparkles mod.

Now, to test the Mods folder, start your game. If you have done this correctly, you will not see the EA intro video, with all the plumbobs etc. Your game will skip straight to the loading screen. If you do see the video, you probably didn't unzip the file to the right folder.

If you didn't see the video, shut down the game, and add StoryProgression (make sure you unzipped it properly) to your Mods\Packages folder. You can delete the NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles mods if you don't want them.

Thanks, I just have one question. How do you unzip something properly? I'm not that smart when it comes to mods.

Offline Corylea

• Townie
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
Thanks, I just have one question. How do you unzip something properly? I'm not that smart when it comes to mods.
Read the "Sims 3 Custom Content Basics" at ModTheSims:  http://nene.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_CC_Basics

Scroll down to the section "Zip, Rar, and 7z Files."

Offline Gin179

• Nooboo
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 12:41:58 AM »
I'm computer illiterate when it comes to this sort of thing. My brother tried to set up master controller, cheats etc for me to fix the omni plant inventory issue. He followed the instructions to the letter but we can't get it to work. My Sims 3 is installed on my external hard drive, could this be affecting it? If so, any ideas for getting it to work?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 02:39:44 AM »
Hi Gin, welcome to the forum. :)

Your external hard drive is most likely not the problem. The Mods are installed in your Documents folder, which is located on your C:\ Drive (ie, not on an external drive).

Was the issue that MasterController was not working? If so, check that your "Mods" folder has a "Packages" folder and a "resource.cfg" file inside of it, and that MasterController is inside of the Packages folder. If MasterController still does not work, and you're sure that you have at least the Base Mod installed, you may need to ask twallan directly at his wiki.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hilldill

• Nooboo
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2013, 01:27:14 PM »
Silly question. Do I put the mods folder in the Sims 3 folder or just the Electronic Arts folder?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2013, 05:42:46 PM »
In The Sims 3 Folder. Basically, the Mods need to be inside the Mods folder, which is in the The Sims 3 folder, which is in the Electronic Arts folder. :)

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
I appreciate this thread. I installed my FIRST mods last night, and the steps listed here helped guide me through it. I already see the difference and am pleased with the results. :D
Check out my new story here!

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:14 PM »
I'm trying to install Twallen's NoCD. I'm using 7 zip. I'm really confused. Here's an image of my mods folder.

EDIT: I think I'll just delete the NoCD file and re-download as per your instructions.
EDIT(again): I'm going to delete the whole mods folder and wait for instructions. Because nothing is making any sense.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
I'm not familiar with 7Zip, but you have to extract the package from the .zip folder using 7Zip. However that is done. After that, the NoCD package goes into the Packages folder.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
I don't understand how you extract a file with it. I click "Open With..." and select 7 Zip, but it doesn't do anything except change the icon.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »
With 7-Zip, you need to right click on it, hover over the "7-Zip..." option, then click "Extract to "NRaas_NoCD/"". :)

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »
Which one do you hover over? NoCD or 7-Zip?