Author Topic: Sims 3 - Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide  (Read 860398 times)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Re: Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
It all depends on how much RAM you have, if you have a real video card or a graphics chip, or if you're on a laptop or a desktop. If you put too much in at a time on a lower end computer that doesn't meet the system requirements for TS3, then yes, your computer will slow down.

Offline KirbyAndKat

• Believers Never Die.
  • Immortal
  • Sorry for constant avatar changing.
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
Mm, okay. I'm looking into downloading the Pose Player mod from MTS.

I tend to have loud opinions. So sorry. I got tons of issues, lol. I can also be found on Yahoo! Answers.
Click here to view the best dance crew: I.aM.Me

Kids Of Cherryblossom Drive: New Drama

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:07 AM »
Is it possible to sticky this thread? I mean this is the first place people are going to come for information and it's getting somewhat buried.

Kindest regards
KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
@Kirby: Pose Player is an object mod, so it shouldn't be too much trouble. If you use CC, that tends to be the real culprit, because they tend to have higher polycounts.

@KJ: I agree. I think this topic should be sticky.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but whichever moderator sticked this thread. Thank you for doing so. I think this is a good idea, to keep it sticky, so it doesn't get lost.  :) I would really like to know the person who did, so I can edit the original post, and thank the mod/administrator who made this thread sticky.

bshag

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »
Hi jenna, just thought I'd pop in and say thanks so much for the guide!  Even though I spent 3 hours last night wrestling with the cfg file, ::) I found out how easy it was to dl mods.  So far I've got MC, MC w/cheats, Relativity and Traveller.  I believe that's all for now, but wow, does it make a difference in gameplay. 

You can teach an old dog new tricks. ;D  Now all I have to do is teach salty...that may take awhile. ;)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 04:34:10 PM »
Ok, I have finally decided to at least install a couple of the mods to make my game play better.  So far, I have made my folders and downloaded Winrar and the cfg file. It says in the instructions, to "save as" and put it in the mods folder.  When I click on the cfg file, there is no option to save as.  Can you drag and drop into that folder and then extract it?  I did try that and it made another folder, which I suppose it is suppose to do.  I am sort of lost at this point, lol.   :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
Nevermind, I got it to extract and everything works.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »
You guys are very welcome! I'm so happy I can finally share the help and answer the questions on this family friendly site. I'm happy you guys can learn about mods, and get all the help you need. Modding my games have defiantly improved my Simming experience, even if I don't get to officially earn a spot in the HoF for our challenges we have on our forum. To me, even our most experienced mod users, can learn a thing or two, especially from such an awesome community, right?  :)

Even, I have to ask questions once in a while, and I've always had an aptitude with computers, and learned how to install mods immediately, long before I discovered this community! Yet I still had to ask questions on how to get started on the official TS3 Facebook page!

Offline Spork-tastic

• Immortal
  • Keeping it Spork Since 2011
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
I got stuck on step 4. I downloaded Resources.cfg and placed it in the mods folder. I already have a program for unzipping folders. That's when I got really confused.

Edit: Never mind! Sorry! I FINALLY figured it out between multiple 5 minute breaks LOL.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:47 AM »
If you already have an unzipper, you can use that.

Jeana -

On the website, you are downloading the mods from, (Nraas, modthesims.info), right click the rar or zip files and select "Save Target As..."

May I ask why? For me, at least, left clicking on the link to download suffices.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
I'll try to type this best I can, with three fingers. But I am on vista, and for me at least, the drop down menu, will appear on when you right click something.

:)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
No, I mean, if I want to download the "OnlyVampireORPaparazziCanEatCake" file in the following screenshot, I'd need to left click on "Nona_CowPlant_Config_OnlyVampireORPaparazziCanEatCake.zip" link, instead of Right-Clicking, then choosing "Save Target As". I've always been able to, even back when I had my old, slow, desktop computer.

Offline SecretBoy

• The DreamStone Immortal Dynasty starring Christopher and Zelda Dreamstone!
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
To be fair, I'm not a user of mods,but I might be in the future. Ctrl+F ing this page
{my blog to come soon}

Offline angelcat621

• Happy Cat Servant
  • Llama Wrangler
  • I'm still here everyone!
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
I want to thank jeanamarie for making this guide about mods, and this site for opening up the Mods board. I've never used mods before in my life, but with the help of this guide I had them safely installed and running within 10 minutes. It was so easy! Yet I probably never would've had the courage to do it had I not run across this clearly written, jargon-free guide.

I particularly love the mods from Nraas; they include so much functionality that should've been included with the game, in my opinion (skill modifier and family tree repairer for the win!)
The cat is cryptic, and close to strange things which men cannot see. -H.P. Lovecraft 

anything