Author Topic: SimPort  (Read 14082 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: SimPort
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
From the way it looks, it's just CC that's directly associated with the sim itself, so I'm fairly certain that if the sim you're porting isn't wearing any, it won't transfer.  That includes default skin tone and eye texture replacements I would guess, but CC furniture would likely not attach itself to a sim package file.

However, it's not really being downloaded in the strictest sense of the word.  It's sort of getting "back-doored" into your game by piggy backing on the package file that contains the sim being ported.  As I've said, it appears that deleting the sim from your bin removes the CC from your game.  And really, this is something you should probably keep on top of anyways.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 03:46:01 AM »
I had a bad experience with CC sticking to sims. =( Look like I'll wait for EA to release a patch before using SimPort.

Or maybe I won't even use it seeing as the outfits can be unlocked via another mean.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
  • Insanely serious or seriously insane?
    • Deviant
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 04:16:12 AM »
Sunny - people interested in being friends put their name on the Sims 3 User Site Name thread.  There is a list in the beginning and if you're on the forums most people will accept the friend invite.

Thanks for adding me. I did add people from that threat, but some of the people their also said they wouldn't use simsport, so I was wondering who would. Thanks for letting me know though :)

@Katluvr: I'll be looking forward to hosting your sims!
@Denile: I've send you a friendrequest :)

Offline DeNile

• Occult
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »
@Denile: I've send you a friendrequest :)

I got it. And I accepted it. If you ever feel like sending me a Simport, feel free, I wouldn't object. :)
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
Look like I'll wait for EA to release a patch before using SimPort.

From what I've been reading, this has been an issue for about a year (obviously not with SimPort, but Crinrict has been talking about this for a long time).  This is either a problem EA doesn't see as worth fixing (since it's allegedly easy enough to fix yourself) or it simply can't be fixed.

But I still have to wonder why everyone hears "CC gets passed through SimPort" loudly and clearly, but when it is said that "You're not really 'getting it,' and it's easy to fix," nobody seems to hear it at all.  Maybe I just have the "Social Butterfly" trait, and I'm getting the "It's like I'm invisible" moodlet...  :P

Edit:  Even if you've read nothing I've ever written in the past, please read the below:

Sorry for the mega-text, but it often seems that a lot of what I say gets overlooked and ignored.  This is important, and I want to make sure you actually see it this time:

SimGuruNelson posted the following message.  I can't find the original, so I can't link to it directly, but it is being discussed in one of the threads about this issue:

Hi Simmers. I wanted to let you know that we are releasing a Game Update very soon that will provide a solution to prevent any custom, user-created content from being installed in the host’s game when using SimPort. Additionally, this Game Update will ensure any files associated with a visiting Sim are not saved to a player’s system permanently.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are reading all of your posts and will continue to provide solutions as quickly as possible.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »
I'm really glad that EA is reacting in a quick and positive manner to these reports and that the issue appears not to be quite as earthshattering as people on the official forums might lead us to believe.

I sent my sim on her first tour when I played last night and other than a hiccup with a mod (I had Twallan's Overwatch set to recover missing sims every sim night and it pulled my sim back from her tour when it performed its nightly clean up - for future reference changing Recover Missing Sims to 'False' prevents this from happening) everything seemed to work smoothly.

I really like this feature of the game and plan to use it more as my sims improve their performances.

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
I just sent my magician on tour, unfortunately the same day he has a gig in town.  I know I can cancel the tour from the Simport book, but would prefer to see what happens, i.e., do I actually play in someone else's town, and how long real time this usually takes.

Edit: Never mind, I hovered over the greyed out sim, and it says when he will return.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
I have a question regarding hosting:

1. When you send out a request to host, do you have to be playing the same game when someone accepts that request, as long as the game has the right venue?

I'm asking because another member tried to send her sim to me to play in the park. I was in a different game, but the game did have the park from SS. I was told the sim "took a wrong turn" and didn't show up. However, the same thing happened when we were online at the same time, both playing in SS.

I'm asking because sometimes I play my dynasty, sometimes a challenge, sometimes I just test.

Incidentally, someone asked if the stamps show up when you're in a different game; yes, they do.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »
1. When you send out a request to host, do you have to be playing the same game when someone accepts that request, as long as the game has the right venue?

Nope.  While I haven't tested it yet, from what I understand there's a considerable amount of time that people have to accept your SimPort request, and if that happens while you're not playing, you'll get reviews and messages about it the next time you log in (along with the stamps).  Despite this, your sim will only be gone from your game for 12 sim hours.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
I just tried to simport my singer and it crashed on me.  I had never tried it before and now I am not sure if I will.  I have hosted a sim, but this was a first sending a sim, darn and I really wanted to try it, now I am berry afraid, lol.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
I've tried simport for the first time yesterday and it's a very interesting experience. Even though it gave me a "tour failed!" error for about three consecutive times, it worked when a friend accepted my hosting request. The game lagged a little when the performance was taking place and there was the no sound bug too but overall it was fun. I like it.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 01:55:27 PM »
So...if I send a Sim on a tour, will it use their stage set up or the venue default?  Anyone know?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
So...if I send a Sim on a tour, will it use their stage set up or the venue default?  Anyone know?

The person who is hosting chooses the Stage. They can design their own or use the default for that particular stage. I design my own, I hate the EA ones. So if I sent my Sim to you, you would get the option before she started singing to design the stage. I however would get no say in anything at all.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
Oh, so it's up to the host to make my Sim look good?  Lol.  What all do we have access to as far as stage props and effects go?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
Oh, so it's up to the host to make my Sim look good?  Lol.  What all do we have access to as far as stage props and effects go?

I think you unlock Props over time? If so you only get to use what you have unlocked yourself. I SimPorted with Seabody before my own Singer was Level 2 and I only had the basic set of Props.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

anything