Author Topic: Dreams of Sunset: A quick message!  (Read 18598 times)

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
  • Call me Jess or whatever :)
Dreams of Sunset: A quick message!
« on: April 10, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
Hello! This is just a little light-hearted story I'm writing at the moment about some of my favourite SV families. It's my first story here so I'm a bit nervous :) All feedback appreciated!

Nestled in the Pinochle Mountains, on the east coast of a small nation, lies a little town called Sunset Valley. Since the dawn of time it’s been known that things work a little differently here. Tales of spirits that roam the hills at night remain to this day, though few people still believe them. Nevertheless, there are some who insist that there's something about Sunset that attracts people who don’t really fit in anywhere else. They say there isn't a soul who moved to Sunset that didn't have something to hide, something they didn't want getting out, be it a secret or who they feel they really are.

Do I agree with that? Perhaps. It’s hard to say. I've certainly my share of secrets, far more than my share, and I didn't even choose to live here: this is where I grew up and I never left. But what I do know is that Sunset is something unique. Something that has to be protected from those who would destroy it.

And this little town of one hundred will need all the help it can get.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: Dreams of Sunset: Prologue (10/04/14)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
Ooooh, this is an intriguing start! Sunset Valley is my favorite town and I can't wait to see how everything plays out. :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:14:55 AM »
Lovely!  You have a beautiful writing style.  Good luck!
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:14:27 AM »
Thanks so much everyone!  :D I'm hoping to have the first chapter out today or tomorrow.

Offline Rannera

• Nooboo
  • Meep!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:55:05 AM »
This is certainly an intriguing start! I'm looking forward to the first chapter. :)
<a href="http://spaceacy.wordpress.com/">The Spaceacy!</a>

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
Dreams of Sunset: Chapter One (11/04/14)
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
Thanks Rannera!

Bella went downstairs to the dining room, where the rest of her family were already eating breakfast. Her mother looked at her strangely.

“Bella, dear, where’s your uniform?”

“Uniform?”

“Yes, your school uniform.”

Bella groaned. “I thought today was the last day of summer.”

“That was yesterday. Today’s Monday, and there’s school.”

“Man.” She sat down, sighing. Her father passed her a bowl of cereal, before returning to the newspaper.

“The llamas lost again. Looks like the alpacas walked all over them.”

Michael tugged the newspaper out of Simis’ hands and flicked through to the scores. “10-2? Man, that’s rubbish. That’s the fourth straight game we’ve lost.”

“Well, Keaton hasn’t been playing for the last two months, what with little Alex, so hopefully when he’s back they’ll sort themselves out a bit.”

Jocasta smiled. “Have either of you two met him? Happiest little baby I’ve ever seen. I went round to give Justine some flowers and he was gurgling all the time I was there. He’s so sweet.”

Bella rolled her eyes. “Oh c’mon. All babies look the same, don’t they?”

“Cheer up, dear. I know you’re back to school and everything, but try and smile a bit about it, hey?”

“Whatever.” She got up and grabbed her schoolbag. “I'll go change, then I think I’ll walk today. Go through the park.”

“Ok. We’ll see you later, then?”

But Bella had already slammed the door. Michael raised his eyebrows.

“Wouldn’t want to be her.”

“Now just because you have an extra day off doesn’t mean you have to gloat about it, young man.”

Apart from a few lingering tourists, the park was all but empty. The summer festival banners and stands looked a little feeble in the September light, and the face painting tent looked as though it was about to collapse. No doubt it would all be taken down today, and the park set up for autumn instead. Good, Bella thought. Summer was rubbish. Way too hot.

Malcolm and Mortimer were the only two in the classroom when she arrived, as per normal. Malcolm jumped up as soon as she walked in.

“Bells! Have you seen ‘Galaxy Battles’?”

“Er, what?”

“It’s only the best TV show and video game series ever made! I’ve been trying to get Mortimer excited about it but he really isn’t interested. Please tell me you’ll come over this weekend and watch some.”

“I think what Mal’s trying to say is that over the summer he’s turned into a massive nerd,” said Mortimer, flicking through a book.

“It’s really really good! And Dad said that he’ll get me some of the official action figures for my birthday. And the Frozen Realms expansion! That’s the one based on series 4...”

“Yeah, right, we get it,” Bella said. “It's some TV thing. I’ve hardly seen you guys for two months. Can't we catch up or something?”

“Oh. Okay,” said Malcolm, sadly.

Simis strolled into Doo Peas, whistling under his breath as he went. It was rare that he felt this cheerful about his less-than-thrilling job, but something about today felt... right. He nodded his head to Nick as he passed him in the foyer, and then ascended the stairs up to the offices of the Sunset Valley Times.

Fiona raced up to him almost before he was even inside. She looked panicked.

“Simis! Thank goodness! I was starting to wonder where you were. Listen, something’s happened. I’ll let Connor show you.” She all but pulled him into the editor’s office, where Connor was typing something into her computer. He barely acknowledged Simis, instead pointing to an email that was sitting in Fiona’s inbox.

“I couldn’t trace the IP,” said Connor, “It’s probably been sent from a secure network, one that hides the sender’s details. I won’t bore you with the technical stuff.”

Fiona wrung her hands. “Simis? What do you think?”

to: [email protected]
subject: no subject

There will be a major event in Sunset Valley in a few days time. You will know it when it happens. If the article I send you at that time is not published  the following day on the front page in its entirety you can be assured that the details of a certain relationship of yours will be sent to the Simnation Chronicle, who will undoubtedly find it merits their attention. Do not go to the police. You have been warned.

So much for a peaceful day.

He turned to Fiona. “Is this real? It could just be a hoax or something.”

Fiona shook her head. “It sounds real. I mean...” She sighed. “If they do have the information they claim to, I don’t want that getting out.”

“What is it?”

“None of your business, that’s what it is.”

“But, you’re going to do what this person’s telling you? What about journalistic integrity, and all that?”

“I have to think of River, Simis. This is big. Whoever this person is, they’re right. The Simnation Chronicle would be very interested in that story. It could be the end of my career, or worse. And it would hurt River more than you can imagine.” She looked round at Connor. “This doesn’t leave this room. You’d better get back to work.”

“Sure.” Connor stood up and left without any further comment. Fiona gulped. “I’m sorry Simis. I’d hoped you’d have seen something that would expose it as fake. I don’t know why I showed you. But I have to do this. There’s no other option.”

“And what if someone finds out? You’d breaking every rule in the book, Fiona.”

“I’m aware. I suppose I’ll just have to take that chance.”

Simis nodded slowly, then turned and hurried out, his mind whirring.

“There you go, Mrs Clavell. These should sort your headaches out in no time.”

She picked up the tablets and smiled. “Thank you, doctor. You’ve been most helpful.”

“I do my best. Do you need someone to show you out or do you know the way?”

“I think I’ll be okay, but thank you all the same.”

“Alright. Goodbye, Mrs Clavell.”

Bessie headed off down the corridor just as Morgana Wolff stuck her head around the door.

“Oh, Geoffrey. Mind if I have a word?”

“Sure. Is this about that seminar this afternoon?”

“Not really.” She bit her lip. “Actually, it’s not about the hospital at all. Or, at least, not directly.”

“I see. Well, you’d better come in. I don’t have any patients for an hour or so.”

“Okay then.” Morgana closed the door and sat down, a strange expression on her face. “Well, it’s, well...”

“Take your time,” Geoff said kindly.

Something in Morgana’s expression changed, but Geoff couldn’t quite work out what it was. “I’d been wondering what you wanted for Christmas,” she blurted out.

He raised an eyebrow? “Christmas? That’s months away.”

“Well, good to be prepared, right?”

“Er, ok. Well, you don’t need to buy me anything. Don’t worry about that.”

“Fine. Well, that’s all then. I’ll see you around.” She all but ran from the room, leaving Geoff staring after her in bemusement.

The first day back, and they were doing maths? Malcolm himself was rather pleased, but he knew the others wouldn’t be. Mortimer was busy making a paper aeroplane from one of the pages in his exercise book. He threw it towards Bella, but it swerved towards the front of the room, where Mr Steel caught it neatly, raised his eyebrows at Mortimer and sent it gliding towards the bin.

“Mortimer, see me at the end please.”

Mortimer scowled.

He came out into the corridor a few minutes after the bell went, where Bella and Malcolm were waiting.

“What? He told me not to do it again, that he’d give me detention if anything else like that happened, the end. Big deal. Now, anyone fancy going to mine? Dad won’t be back for ages and Mum won’t care. We could get pizza or something.”

Bella grinned, but Malcolm made a face.

“I dunno. I’m not really allowed...”

“And? Just tell your Mum you went to the library to do your homework.”

“But we didn’t get any homework.”

Mortimer groaned. “It’s called a white lie. Don’t be such a goody-two-shoes, Mal.”

“Yeah, it’ll be fun,” Bella chimed in.

“I really don’t know...”

“Hey!” They turned to see Arlo watching them, sneering a little. “What are you weirdos up to?”

“None of your business,” snapped Mortimer. “Get lost.”

“Woah! I was just being friendly.”

“Yeah, well, don’t,” Mortimer said, “And you weren’t.”

Bella grabbed his arm. “Morty, leave it.”

“Morty? How cute. Your girlfriend’s sticking up for you, is she?”

“She’s not my girlfriend.”

“Yeah, I really wouldn’t date him. He’s a right loser,” said Bella.

“Bella’s way too annoying for me,” added Mortimer.

“Guys, this isn’t the time,” cried Malcolm. “Let’s just go. Bye Arlo.”

They hurried off, but not before they heard Arlo and a couple of others break into song behind them.

“Bella and Morty, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S...”

“Idiots,” muttered Mortimer.

“It’s great to see you, Aggie. How’s everything going?”

“A little better,” Agnes sighed, sipping her tea.

“How’s the job at the school working out?”

“Nelly, I’ve only been in it a week. I’ve yet to form an opinion, frankly.”

“Well, I can see why they wanted you as headmistress. You were a good teacher, before... yes, you were good.”

“Hmm.” There was an uncomfortable silence, punctured by the sound of the front door slamming and a couple of loud voices. Cornelia looked into the kitchen to Mortimer and a couple of his friends laughing about something. He came into the dining room, but stopped dead when he saw them.

“Oh, hi Aunt Agnes. Didn’t think you’d be here.”

Cornelia shook her head. “Morty, dear, I don’t recall saying you could have friends over.”

“Aww! C’mon Mum. It’s the first day back. And it’s just Bella and Malcolm. Can we get pizza?”

“Morty!" She hesitated. "Oh, all right then. Don’t tell your father.”

“Cheers.” Cornelia heard him say something to the others that sounded rather like “Told you so,” and the three of them filed upstairs, still talking loudly. She smiled slightly.

“I can’t believe he’s twelve already. Where does the time go?”

“Where indeed,” said Agnes.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
Re: Dreams of Sunset: Chapter 1 - Who We Are (11/04/14)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
Wow, you must have worked really hard to get those screen shots. Other than Seasons, what expansion packs are you using?

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
I love how this is going so far! So much is happening all at once. I am most intrigued about Fiona's plight...and might Morgana have a bit of a thing for her boss...?

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. The screenshots are amazing too!

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
Wow, you must have worked really hard to get those screen shots. Other than Seasons, what expansion packs are you using?

Apart from Seasons I've got WA, Ambitions, Generations, Pets, Showtime, and UL. I'm using a couple of mods to help with screenshots too. They took a while but I'm glad you think they're worth the effort!

I love how this is going so far! So much is happening all at once. I am most intrigued about Fiona's plight...and might Morgana have a bit of a thing for her boss...?

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. The screenshots are amazing too!

Wow, thanks! Fiona's situation should be clearer very soon, and as for Morgana... we'll have to see  ;)

I'm hoping to have the next chapter posted in the next few days, so stay tuned!  :D

Offline Rannera

• Nooboo
  • Meep!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
You're writing a soap! ;D I haven't been into one of those in ages, so this is fun. I'm sure yours'll be much better than the TV ones, anyway. :)
<a href="http://spaceacy.wordpress.com/">The Spaceacy!</a>

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
You're writing a soap! ;D I haven't been into one of those in ages, so this is fun. I'm sure yours'll be much better than the TV ones, anyway. :)

I've never been a huge fan of TV soaps but I always seem to end up writing them ;) I hope this turns out as good as you're hoping!

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Dreams of Sunset: Chapter 2 - Drifting Apart (11/04/14)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »

Morgana walked home, kicking herself. Christmas presents? Why did she have to panic like that, and come out with the first thing she thought of? And now Geoff probably thought she was crazy. She considered going back, finding him and explaining, but it was too late now.

She pushed the door open, lost in her thoughts. Thornton was sat on the sofa, typing away on his laptop.

“Morgana! There you are. I was worried something had happened to you.”

“Nothing’s happened. I just had to stay late, that’s all.” This was only half a lie.

“I see. Well, you know I hate to bother you, but I’ve got to finish some things for Nick and dinner won’t cook itself.”

“Sure. I’ll get right on it.” He didn’t care about bothering her. Morgana couldn’t even remember the last time he’d made dinner. Or helped with the washing up, or cleaned the bathroom, or anything.

She pulled some ingredients from the fridge at random and started chopping them up. If whatever she ended up making tasted awful, Thornton would just have to deal with that.

“What if I phrased it a little differently? We want people to think that this is in their hands now. Maybe something along the lines of ‘let the people decide for themselves’?”

“Great idea, Ms Alto. I’ll put it in.” Tori scribbled a note onto the draft copy she was annotating. “So... this has gone far enough. No longer should this be a personal debate. Let the people decide for themselves?”

“Perfect.” Vita smiled slightly and tucked a stray strand of hair back where it belonged. “She won’t have any choice but to agree. And then...” She got up and crossed to the window. “I’ll have it at last. Excellent speech.”

“You wrote it.”

“I was aware, Tori.”

There was a knock at the door and Gunther stepped in, nodding at Tori. “Evening Ms Kimura. Is Ms Alto...”

Vita turned and beamed at him! “Mr Goth! I was afraid you wouldn’t be able to make it.”

“Nothing would stop me from seeing you this evening, Ms Alto. Nothing at all.”

“You flatter me.” She looked over to Tori. “You can leave early today. I’ll take it out of your salary.”

“I’m already on overtime.”

“Oh, that must be really terrible for you. I’ll see you tomorrow at eight.” She motioned towards the door. Tori gritted her teeth and left. “Now then, Gunther. It seemed only fair to let you know what’s happening.” They sat down and Vita handed him the speech. “Take your time. We’re in no rush.”

Gunther had been reading for no more than a minute when he looked up sharply. “Vita, is this even legal?”

“Maybe. Who cares? Certainly not the journalists. Nick’s dealing with them. And at the end of the day, what they say is what will matter.” She laughed lightly, but Gunther wasn’t quite sure what the joke was.

“Right. Well, that’s... well. I don’t really know what to say. This is certainly a... different approach to usual.”

“My approach. I managed to convince Nick he wasn’t getting anywhere with his ‘here’s two million now give us the theatre’ approach. That’s mostly because Nancy isn’t the type to back down. So I figured we could use that against her.”

“Well, this’ll definitely work, if your intentions are what I think they are.”

“You’ve yet to predict Nancy’s next move incorrectly. I trust you won’t fail me now.” She held his gaze for a moment, and then looked away. “I’m your ally when it suits you, aren't I? And when it doesn’t suit, you’re on her side.”

“It’s not like that.”

“Yes it is. No reflection on you, Gunther. You’re careful. I can respect that. But I just wanted to remind you that there’s a fine line between not pledging your allegiance to one side or the other and being a traitor. And I’ve heard recently that you and Nancy used to be quite friendly with each other. Be careful, won’t you?”

Gunther regarded her warily. “Of course. And I’ll be right behind you, through all of this. Whatever Nancy and I had, it’s gone now.”

“For your sake, that’d better be true.”

The arcade was unusually quiet, even for a Wednesday evening. Michael and Parker made their way past a couple of people sat at tables, but that was it. It was a little eerie. Parker picked up a bowling ball and sent it flying towards the skittles.

“Who are you gonna ask, then?”

“Ask?”

“To the dance.”

“Oh, right.” He bowled, but the ball skidded and landed in the gutter. “Oh man. I hadn’t really thought about it. It’s not until November, anyway.”

“Mike, come on. It’s not like there are reams of girls you could invite. Holly, Bebe, Lisa, River, Candy. Except I’m asking Holly. So there’s your choice. Strike! Sweet.”

“I really don’t know. Anyway, they’d have to want me to go as well. I’m not like you. I don’t have girls swooning at my feet. Maybe I’ll wait, see if anyone asks me.”

“That attitude won’t get you anywhere.”

“Whatever. Not to change the subject, but when are those new students starting?”

“Next week, is what Van Watson said. I think. I wasn’t listening. Fancy a game of ‘Robots vs Aliens?’”

“Sure thing.” They wandered over to the machine and Michael stuck some coins in. “Red or Green?”

“Red.”

“Cool. Why’s everyone transferring from Riverview? It’s really weird.”

“I heard their school’s really rubbish. Everyone’s getting D’s. Personally, I dunno what’s wrong with a good D. I’d be pretty happy if I got that for a maths test.”

“No comment on that one. So, five new people?”

“I think so. And I hear most of them are girls.”

“All you care about."

“Hello?” Malcolm called out, “Anyone in?”

There was no response, but when he went through into the study he found his Mum, typing furiously on her laptop.

“Hi Mum. Mum?”

Nancy looked up for a split second, still typing something.

“Malcolm. Hello. You’ve got scouts at six thirty. Make sure you’ve done your homework.” With that, she went back to work.

“Do you know when Dad gets back?”

Nancy didn’t reply. Malcolm sighed and walked upstairs.

Later that evening, Malcolm came into the kitchen where Geoff was busy cooking pasta.

“Hey Mal. How’s your day been?” he asked, putting some plates and cups out on the table.

“Alright. Look, Dad, I was wondering...”

“Could you go and tell your mother that dinner’s ready?”

“Oh. Sure.” He went into the study, but Nancy waved him away, saying she was busy and that she’d already eaten. This wasn’t exactly uncommon for her, but Malcolm thought Geoff seemed rather disappointed.

“She knew I was making carbonara,” he muttered. This seemed an odd statement to Malcolm, but he didn’t question it. He had other things on his mind.

“Dad, I was wondering if I have to go to scouts today.”

“Huh? I thought you loved going?”

“I did, I do, but I just don’t feel like it today.”

Geoff looked at him sadly. “Is this about that boy that’s been giving you a hard time?”

“Arlo? Not really.” He looked down. “Well, yeah, it is. Promise you won’t tell Mum?”

“Why don’t you want her knowing?”

“’Cause she’d make a huge deal about it and get the school involved and I don’t want that. Please can I just skip scouts this week?”

Geoff sighed deeply. “Well, oh, all right. We’ll tell your Mum you’re not feeling well. But, Mal, bullies won’t leave you alone if you don’t do something. Why not tell your teacher?”

“Why do grown-ups always say that? Then I’d just be called a goody-two-shoes and it would make everything worse. Just leave it.” he cried. He pushed his chair away and stormed off.

“Malcolm...!”

If you see any little white boxes on my screenshots please just ignore them, I've got a new graphics card and it's acting a bit weird  :o I'm planning to have the next chapter done by the end of next week.

Offline dinodymo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 04:17:31 AM »
Great Chapter! Im excited for more :)
I didn't fall! I simply attacked the floor with my awesome ninja skills!

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another. Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
― Veronica Roth, Divergent

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 06:42:05 AM »
Wow, there's so much happening in each chapter, and I concur with everyone's comments on the screenshots.  They are amazing!
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

anything