Author Topic: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Thirty-Two (7-21-15)  (Read 39163 times)

Offline intl_incident

• You can call me Indy! :D
  • Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Five (27-Oct-14)
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »
Oh my gosh, guys, thanks for all the nice comments.  It was so nice to read them after coming home from a long day at work.

I'm glad that the way I'm handling the dynasty requirements in-story is working out.  I want to try to make it seamless -- so that the technical requirements are happening, and you can see that they're happening, but they are all just part of the story.  The wild horses (which he needed for his career and/or LTW and/or the abandoned attempt at SuperMaxing riding) fit in pretty perfectly with the narrative, considering how much Jaffaran identifies with them, and how out of place they (and he) are in the town.  I hope I can work the rest of the details in as easily -- the paintings will probably be tough, as you guessed. :)

Anyway, for those keeping track, by this point Geoff had completed the Horseman career, and he either just finished or is about to finish the Jockey LTW.  Now if he would just get married! :D

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Five (27-Oct-14)
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 08:14:41 PM »
"And you'll feel at home eventually . . . Or so I kept hoping."

How poignant!  :'(

Gotta agree with Rhoxi there!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Six (29-Oct-14)
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
Of course I saw Fjord again, whenever she came to visit Iris for morning coffee or had any other excuse to drop by.  I would chat with her and occasionally join her and the Ingbergs for dinner in town, but nothing more than that.  I thought I was just being cordial, but eventually a package arrived, addressed to the name I was using in Aurora Skies.  It turned out to be tickets to Fjord's concert, which would open the town's Winter Festival. 

The "music" at the show was incredibly loud and unlike anything I'd heard before. There were flashing lights and explosions, and the crowd was jumping, waving their arms and screaming non-stop at the top of their lungs.  During the last song, I realized Iris was shouting at me.  I couldn't hear a thing over the sound of the massive speakers and cheering crowd.

"WHAT?" I leaned closer.

"DO YOU LIKE IT?" she yelled back.

"IT'S NICE," I lied.

"IT'S ABOUT YOU!"  She smiled again, even wider, gave me a gesture with her thumbs poking up, and then tossed her head to direct my attention back to the stage, where Fjord was smiling at me as well while she sang. 

You fill up the sky / Like the curtains of light / That come out of the darkness to brighten the night
I was lost / Missed my chance / 'Til you crossed my path
Now I know, now I know / That I want you
And I know that you / That you'll want me too
And you'll love me too / In time

As the song ended and the music died away, Fjord was beaming at me from the stage.  Iris was yelling something to her that I couldn't make out, and the crowd was cheering again, louder than ever.   I clapped as well, but I could feel myself getting dizzy.  Maybe it was the lights, or the noise, or the press of people, but in all likelihood it was Fjord's smile, that looked so much like Savna's when we'd met on her family's boat.  I made some sort of muddled excuse to Iris, and then headed for the door.

The next day was Snowflake Day, and it couldn't have been more aptly named.  Though I had seen snow here before, plenty of times, and I'd marveled at the white flakes drifting down to the ground or biting into my cheeks when driven by the wind, I'd never seen anything like the scene that greeted me when I climbed out of my basement that morning.  The world was covered in white, with sunlight gleaming off the crystal blanket that had fallen overnight.

Iris was planning another party for later in the afternoon, but first things first, I wanted to give Jonas the gift I'd promised him on his birthday.  With Iris' permission, I'd traded one of the wild horses for a small, gentle mare from one of the farmers outside town.   As soon as Jonas saw her through the window, he threw on his jacket and came tearing around the corner, skidding to a halt as the horse danced backwards and snorted at him.

"Where'd you get her? Is she one of the wild ones? Are you keeping her?"

"Slow down," I cautioned, putting a hand on the mare's neck to calm her. "You'll spook her.  Just stand still, and let her smell you."

She whuffed at his collar a couple of times, then nudged at his ears.  He laughed, and reached up to stroke her muzzle, as entranced with her as he'd ever been with Astanal.  "What's her name?"

"That depends on what you call her," I said simply. "She's yours."

He blinked at me in amazement, and looked back at his mother, who nodded her approval.  With a whoop of pure joy that sent the little mare dancing back on her heels once again, he flopped backwards into the snow and started swinging his arms and legs back and forth in delight.  Astanal, always the clown, flopped on his back as well, and joined in.

Fjord was at the party that afternoon, and I am ashamed to say I deliberately avoided her.  Maybe it was a cowardly thing to do -- of course it was a cowardly thing to do -- but I could excuse it my head by reminding myself that I was too busy with my studies and with helping the Ingbergs to get involved with anyone yet.

In truth it was hard for me to be at the party at all, watching the family celebration.  As the children played in front of the fire, Iris laughed with her sister in the kitchen, and Jakob shared a drink with friends, flirting with Fjord was the farthest thing from my mind.  I just wanted to get away from the reminders of everything I had left behind, and everything I had lost, so once again I made some excuses, and once again I slipped outside. 

Jonas followed me out, and tracked me down at the rudimentary stables I'd built behind the house while the barn was under construction.  I hurriedly ran my sleeve across my eyes when I heard him call my name and turned around with a false smile. "Wouldn't you rather be inside?" I asked. "It's quite a party."

He kicked at the snow, feigning disinterest.  "Doesn't matter," he scoffed.  "My dad's just telling everyone how great Ilsa's doing in school, and showing off some her paintings. I'd rather be out here."

"Listen," I said gently, trying to think of a way to defend Jakob. "Your father is just as proud of you as--"

"It's OK," he interrupted me, though his one-shouldered shrug belied his next words.  "I don't care anyway.  I just came out to thank you for the horse."  He toyed with the zipper on his pocket for a moment, wavering awkwardly between teenage bravado and childish sentiment.  The child won out one last time, and he suddenly wrapped me up into a tight hug.  "You didn't need to do it.  You don't need to give me anything.  You're already everything I needed -- I just needed a real dad."

I hugged him back, but I was stung by the words as they echoed in my head.  It was true that I owed the Ingbergs more than I had repaid.  And Jonas was a fine young man who just needed some guidance.  I cared about him, and I was happy to provide it when I could.  But I was already a "real dad," and his words made me realize I was failing my real daughter and my real family.  Missing them didn't help them.  Avoiding things that reminded me of them didn't help them.  No matter how much progress I was making on my other tasks, none of it would matter without a child, and I was shirking away from my most important job.  A "real dad" would do what needed to be done, no matter what.

Luckily, Jonas wasn't waiting for a reply. As soon as the heartfelt words were out of his mouth, he stepped back and shrugged again with the same adolescent indifference.  "Anyway, I'm supposed to tell you we're all going skating.  My mom says you can come along if you want."

There was laughter at the front of the house.  Fjord was getting in the car with Iris, and Ilsa was already piling into the backseat.  "Tell them to wait," I said.  "I'll come.  But I need to get something from the basement." 

When I came back upstairs, I had a ring in my pocket, and I was determined to ask Fjord to marry me that very night, no matter what my heart might try to tell me.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

I love this story, but I feel bad for Fjord. No one deserves a proposal like that.  :P Hopefully "Geoff" can learn to appreciate her too . . . in time.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »
Oh, boy. What a romantic sentiment. Sigh. I like that you're averting "Angst? What Angst?" with Jaffaran. He didn't lose his wife that long ago. All in all, very realistic but sad.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
I love this story, but I feel bad for Fjord. No one deserves a proposal like that.  :P Hopefully "Geoff" can learn to appreciate her too . . . in time.

Oh, boy. What a romantic sentiment. Sigh. I like that you're averting "Angst? What Angst?" with Jaffaran. He didn't lose his wife that long ago. All in all, very realistic but sad.

Yeah, it's not exactly a love story for the ages, is it?  "Geoff" basically lying to Fjord and using her; Fjord blinded by romance and thinking that if you want something enough and hope for it enough it will come true... If it doesn't work out for them, then it's all very depressing, isn't it?  Especially compared to the fairy tale ideal of Jaffaran and Savna.  And of course, while there are a bunch of plot reasons the relationship is the way it is, that doesn't help Ms. Warbler.  She's stuck with a manipulative jerk of a Watcher. :P

Offline Brooke.

• Oh, burn!
  • Occult
  • No sweeties for you, my little cupcakes.
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 10:39:53 AM »
Love that shot of Astenal and Jonas playing in the snow. I feel for Jaffaran but don't break Fjord's heart  >:(
Life State Dynasty: The Blackburns In Monte Vista (Complete)
Domination Dynasty: Down With Lamps: Djinn Takeover (Complete)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tipi

• Occult
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:18 AM »
Such a beautiful story! I like how you can read it without knowing anything about dynasty requirements and such.

And now I want to get Aurora Skies....

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Seven (03-Nov-14)
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
There is a new post in the Ajri story that fits here in the timeline.  Though it's been several months in Aurora Skies, it's only been about a week on Ajri. 

For those keeping track of the dynasty requirements, Geoff has got his career and LTW done, and has bought one of the fishing spots.  The opportunities are giving me the most trouble, as expected, I think, with a self-employed career, so he may be taking on a second job soon.   He's given up on SuperMaxing riding.  He'll be SuperMaxing Alchemy instead, once he gets the whole marriage and heir business out of the way.  Speaking of which, apologies in advance for the positively anti-romantic proposal below. :)  There are Important Plot Reasons (tm) but still... Poor Fjord.

-------------

The Winter Festival was nothing like the annual market I remembered from back home.  For starters, it was indoors, to help protect us all from the chill. And as soon as we were inside, Ilsa was begging to try the skating rink, yet another winter wonder I'd never seen before.  Fjord tugged me toward it, trying to convince me to join in.  As Ilsa was hurriedly grabbing the smallest pair of rented skates from her brother, he skeptically offered me one of the others. "Ever skated?"

Fjord was already lacing up, so I shrugged back at Jonas. "How hard can it be?" I asked gamely.

Less than ten minutes later, Fjord was laughing as I crawled my way back to the safety of the wooden floor, one hand on my backside, which was going to be black and blue in the morning.  Ilsa and Jonas came gliding by like they'd been born on the ice, probably to marvel that I had survived without major injury.

"You're supposed to stand up!"
"That was terrible, dude."
"How about some hot chocolate instead?"

The last helpful suggestion came from a still laughing Fjord, who linked her arm through mine at the elbow, and helped me to a bench so I could take off the skates.  For once I didn't pull away, so she kept her arm there was we walked up the steps to the refreshment stands.  As she was signing an autograph for the young man selling the hot drinks, I slipped a few coins to Jonas, with orders to take care of Ilsa for a while.  He raised an eyebrow at me, looked over toward Fjord, and then nodded with a smug smile, a floppy salute and a cryptic: "You got it, captain."  He pocketed the money and grabbed hold of his little sister's collar to pull her over to the queue for snacks.

"Hey!" she squeaked.
"Zip it. We're on wingman duty."
"What?"
"Shush. You get free pie. That's all you need to know."

Fjord was back a moment later, handing me a cup.  She'd clearly overheard the not very subtle exchange between the Ingberg siblings. "Wingman duty?" she asked, a twinkle lighting her eyes as she blew the steam away from the top of her chocolate.  "Should I be alarmed, Mr. Dempster? Are you trying to get me alone for some reason?"

I should have answered, but once again my reluctance was getting the better of me.  Fjord noticed my hesitation, and her playful expression dissolved into a kind, understanding, but slightly sad smile.  "It's all right," she said quietly. "You're too much of a gentleman to tell me I'm making a fool of myself.  I'll stop flirting, I promise, if it makes you uncomfortable."

That wasn't the direction I wanted this to go.  "Will you just walk with me?" I offered her my arm once more, to take her away form the bustle by the food stands, and she took it, but gingerly.

We ended up by the windows at the end of the room, and I stood there for a long silent moment.  The frost had cleared enough that I could see the stars in the night sky, but these days they offered no comfort.  All of the tradition I had been taught since I was a child told me that my ancestors were in the stars.  But I knew that if I was hoping to see a sign of approval, I would be disappointed.  These were different stars; different heavens.  And Savna was gone forever.

I took another sip of hot chocolate – a reflexive delay.   Because here I was, about to lie to a kind, talented, beautiful and innocent woman; to use her honest affections for my own purposes.  It was dishonest in the extreme, and it was cruel.  Lives here were so short that in the blink of an eye Fjord would be gone too.  And instead of spending what time she had with someone who truly loved her, she'd have me and a hollow charade.

For one selfish moment, I hated my mother for sending me here, for forcing me to do this.  But she hadn't had a choice then, and I didn't have one now.  "I used to be married," I said simply.

Fjord turned her head to look at me the instant I said something.  "Iris said your wife died," she answered. "I'm sorry."

"It was different with my wife. I was in love from the moment I saw her."

"I know what that's like," Fjord said.  The shy smile that accompanied the words made my stomach lurch once more with guilt.  "It doesn't always have to be that way," she continued. "People can change.  They can fall in love over time."

"I can't promise you much." I was groping for words.  "I don't have much.  You're famous. You're successful. With agents, and fans, and light shows and... things."  Whatever other things rock stars must have -- I had no idea, but I knew it was more than a basement or a couple of rooms over a barn.  Nevertheless, for some reason, all of my protests were turning Fjord's quiet disappointment into sudden, surprised excitement.

"I don't need all of that," she eagerly replied. "I don't need any of it. I would have retired years ago, but I needed the money. I had to pay off the debt from my last tour -- my agent took all of the profit and... oh, it doesn't matter. I don't need any of it. I'm done with it."

"I... All right."

I have no idea how she knew what was coming next, but she must have, because she was staring at me with a look of breathless anticipation.  I dug in the pocket of my jeans, pulling out the small box with the ring inside.  Fjord's hands went to her face and started to shake. "I knew it," she whispered. "I knew it..."

"Fjord Warbler," I asked, dropping to one knee. "Will you marry me?"

Fjord didn't answer, she just threw her arms around me, crying tears of joy.  As a few bystanders snapped photographs or cheered for the apparently happy scene, I closed my eyes to block out this strange world's stars and their silent witness of what I'd just done.

Offline Brooke.

• Oh, burn!
  • Occult
  • No sweeties for you, my little cupcakes.
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 05:47:41 AM »
I was the same as Jaffaran when I first ice skated  ;D It was a sweet proposal  ;)
Life State Dynasty: The Blackburns In Monte Vista (Complete)
Domination Dynasty: Down With Lamps: Djinn Takeover (Complete)

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
Aww that's so sad! I'm so sad for Jaffaran feeling so guilty and Fjord thinking that he loves her. I'm sure he'll grow fond of her in time, but it will never be the same as Savna and he's going to have to lead her on. So realistic and sad and unusual.  :'(

By samoht04

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
I think Fjord knows that Jaff doesn't love her but is still hoping he will in time... and who knows maybe he will.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
Hi, guys -- I am back from a trip to Vancouver last week (wow, what a beautiful city) and I'll post the next update tonight or tomorrow, but I wanted to answer your comments now that I had a chance to read them.

I was the same as Jaffaran when I first ice skated  ;D It was a sweet proposal  ;)

Yeah, I cannot ice skate at all, which is too bad because I grew up in the northern US, with lots of ice and snow and lots of lakes. But I think I have wobbly ankles or something.  I do better in hockey skates, since the boot is more rigid, but figure skates? No way.  Not unless "Double Butt Loop" is an acceptable substitute for "Double Toe Loop."

Aww that's so sad! I'm so sad for Jaffaran feeling so guilty and Fjord thinking that he loves her. I'm sure he'll grow fond of her in time, but it will never be the same as Savna and he's going to have to lead her on. So realistic and sad and unusual.  :'(

Thanks for this comment. I am trying to make things as realistic as possible, considering it's a story about a guy who had to travel to Iceland to start a line of immortals kept alive by cake, after anthropomorphized evil walked out of a magic portal in his hometown island paradise. :o  But seriously, I don't want to be too angsty, or to drag the story out too long, but I also wanted to try to come up with a slightly different take on the typical Immortal Dynasty foundation.  As noted above, there are Significant Plot Reasons (tm) for this angle, as well.

I think Fjord knows that Jaff doesn't love her but is still hoping he will in time... and who knows maybe he will.

I think you have got Fjord figured out, yep -- but we'll have to see if Jaff comes around to loving her the way she'd like.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Eight (13-Nov-14)
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
We waited only a short time before the wedding.  Fjord didn't want anything extravagant -- she claimed that any plans we made would be leaked to the media (whatever that meant) and that we'd have photographers swarming all over what was supposed to be a private affair.  So she took care of selling her house in town to pay off the last of the debt she owed on behalf of her shady former manager, and I made sure the barn was finished, and that I had made the rooms above it as comfortable as possible for her to come home to.

Jakob frowned and grumbled about the whole arrangement, as always, but I had already learned that he was more bark than bite, especially when it came to something Iris wanted.

Fjord and I were married in a very simple ceremony at the City Hall.  We exchanged rings on a sunny spring morning, signed the proper documentation in front of the appropriate local official, and sealed the contract with a kiss.

It was so much more of a simple business transaction than my marriage to Savna had been that I found the actual wedding to be no problem at all.  It was what it was: a necessary first step on the long road home.

It was surprising how quickly and easily we fell into a pattern of married life.  When I was a teacher on Ajri, I used to tell students that it took two weeks of doing something to make it into a habit, and I think that's what happened to Fjord and me.  Jonas and I continued racing Astanal and rounding up the local wild horses, and going out on expeditions to find the plants and minerals and other ingredients I would need for the charms and potions I was working on in the basement.  Fjord continued to write songs and work with local musicians. 

She seemed happy enough, and I tried to be the husband she wanted.  We woke up every morning next to each other, ate dinner together every night, and fell asleep in the same bed.  It was only a few months later that Fjord excitedly told me she was expecting a child, and that soon enough I would be a father again.

I read as many books as I could find on local reproduction, and did my best to be attentive.

Ilsa, meanwhile, was growing up into an awkward teenager.  She was the apple of her father's eye -- a star student who excelled at chess, painting, and any other academic pursuits she tried, especially the biology and chemistry classes she would need to follow in Jakob's footsteps as a doctor.  Like her father though, she had a hard time relating to other people, which left her with few friends her own age.  She went to the annual school dance alone, as a photographer for the yearbook.

Jonas, on the other hand, was taking full advantage of life as a young adult.  He was handsome and well off, and his rugged hobbies apparently made him irresistible to the local young women.

Jakob blamed me for that too, calling me shiftless; claiming I was wasting myself, with no purpose, no job and no responsibilities; barking that I was a terrible role model, dragging his son down with me.  I wanted to argue, to shout back at him about the very real responsibilities that weighed on my every waking moment, but so far I hadn't told anyone here about Ajri, for fear they would think I was insane. And Jakob was certainly not the first person I was going to trust with that knowledge.

I trusted Iris more. She was a kind person, generous to a fault, and she had a scientist's interest in anything new.  As she'd gotten older, she'd become a great cook, and so she was a natural choice for a helper when I made a breakthrough in my research and needed someone to help test a few possibilities I'd come up to use local ingredients in place of the things I would have needed for charms and potions back home. 

Eventually I had narrowed down the recipe to a few specific ingredients, one of which Jonas was able to grow in the garden beside the house, and one of which we caught on an outing to one of the local fishing holes.

As we were riding home from that excursion, Ilsa met us in the driveway with news that Fjord was in labor.

"You'd better go," Jonas grinned "Ilsa and I will see to the horses."

"No we won't!" his sister piped up. "I want to watch!"

"If you don't know where babies come from by now, you'll never be a doctor, no matter what dad says."  Jonas rolled his eyes at his kid sister.

"But that's why I want to see--"

"Knock it off," Jonas snapped back at her, to cut off her whining.  "Fjord's not a lab rat. Why don't you go boil water or something?"

"You don't need to boil water, moron.  That's just in the movies."  But Ilsa was taking the reins from my hands even as she rolled her eyes back at her older brother. "Anyway, it's almost over. You better go."

Things progressed in the usual way they did in this strange place, and soon enough, Fjord had presented me with a son: a squalling little bundle named Alden Dempster.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Eight (13-Nov-14)
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
Congratulations on the heir! I like how you've worked in all the helpers. It seems very natural, what they're doing. So often the storytelling depends on dynasty rules and this really seems like it could be an independent story.

By samoht04