Author Topic: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Thirty-Two (7-21-15)  (Read 39142 times)

Offline intl_incident

• You can call me Indy! :D
  • Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Seven (6-23-15)
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »
Jaffaran contacting Ybeline was awesome! Ybeline is a beautiful sim and those screenshots were amazing. They've made contact once so they can do it again, right? ? I love how the whole family are working together.

Aw, thanks!  I was pretty pleased with the way the shots of the conversation came out.  I think you're right that Ybeline looked beautiful in them. Hooray for Photoshop's 'render clouds' filter. :) 

They can indeed contact Ajri again, and will definitely do so.  They're going to need all the help they can get to get back.  But it looks like they are on the right track!

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Eight (6-30-15)
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »
So here's another post designed to fly through the childhood years of an heir. (Zzzzzz. Potty training. Zzzzz. Teach to talk.  Zzzzzz. School homework.)

----------

We were all seized with a renewed energy after the success of the first test.  Our hard work had paid off, and we'd taken a significant number of readings and collected a huge amount of data that would help us improve.  For now, the first machine was defunct -- we needed more gems, and we needed more chemicals -- but as we were collecting the necessary materials, we were also building a larger, more advanced system that we thought would allow not only my grandfather to communicate with Ajri, but for all of us to see what he could see, and to join in the conversation.

But my great grandfather didn't share our happy cheers, nor the champagne toast we shared over the success of the communications device.

Rather than our sense of accomplishment or pride in what we'd done, the mission had simply made him homesick, and had reinforced the amount of time he still had to spend here, and the amount of work that still had to be done. 

In truth, I was worried about him.  He had been mostly withdrawn, keeping to himself or working on a project with Amelia whenever he wasn't taking part in any of our work in the barn.

It was amazing how fast children grew.  Before we were even halfway done with the new system, Amelia had shot up into a gawky young girl, full of energy and curiosity, and -- probably no surprise, given her family background -- incredibly fond of tinkering with anything and everything she could get her hands on. 

I was glad that my great grandfather had taken her under his wing, to try to direct all of her energy toward something useful.  And he seemed to enjoy working with the types of tools and materials he was familiar with, rather than computers and lab equipment.  I think he found it comforting, now that he'd been so forcefully reminded of home, to do things that seemed familiar to his old life.  So when I was worried I hadn't seen him in a while, I knew exactly where I'd find him.

"Caught anything?"  I asked as I strode up from behind.

If I'd startled him, he didn't show it.  "Not much," he said with a shrug. "A couple."

I stood next to him, silently, waiting to see if he'd say anything more.  The water lapped against the pier below our feet, and the fall leaves rustled in the breeze.

"Seems to be mostly trout around here," my great grandfather finally said. 

"Yep."  I crouched down to dig around in the cooler, not saying another word.

"You come out here for a reason?" he asked after a few more minutes. "Or did you just run out of work?"

I shrugged nonchalantly, and flashed him a winning smile. "Nice day for fishing." 

"Hmm."

I couldn't help but laugh at the terse reply. "All right," I admitted. "I came looking for you.  Rukhsana's party is tonight, and I know Amelia wants you to be there when she opens her gift. She'll be heartbroken if you don't make it."

My grandfather wavered.  It might not have been fair play to invoke a little girl's feelings, but it seemed to be working. "Maybe," he said.

"All right," I said back, setting down my drink and picking up a rod.  We stood side-by-side for a while, companionably, just enjoying the sunshine.  I was hoping that the peace and quiet would draw some more out of my great grandfather, and my patience eventually paid off.

"You and Rukhsana make a good team."

"Thanks," I said back. "We've had good teachers."

"Mm hmm.  That University must have been something else."

"I meant you," I chided him. "You and my dad."

"No… Not for this. You two have gone far beyond what your father and I could have done. I may not say it very often, Etienne, but I'm proud of you -- you and your mother, and little Amelia as well. I may not say it very often, but I should.  Family is the most important thing there is."

"Of course," I said, shooting a sideways glance at him.  "But what's brought this on?"

"Just thinking," he said. There was another long pause, and then he added: "Thinking about your grandfather.  And his half-sister."

I turned to face him this time, head tilted in confusion. "I thought he was an only child.  I thought we all were."

"Yep," he said simply. "His half-sister's in Ajri. About Amelia's age I should think, when I left her behind. I don't know now, though.  She might be a grown woman."  He paused for another moment, watching his line bob up and down with the lapping of the waves, then added: "I've been trying, but I can't remember what she looks like.  Nor her mother.  It's been a long, long time."

That night he did come to the birthday party, and I was happy to see him smile and laugh with my mother and father as we ate cake in the middle of the workshop. 

Amelia was thrilled to give her mother the telescope that she had worked on with her -- well, I suppose Geoff was her great-great-grandfather. But she called him grandfather just like the rest of us.

"… and Grandfather carved the legs, and he showed me how to make the hinges, and he showed me how to put the lenses in, but I did it myself."

"It's beautiful, Amelia. And just what I wanted. You know how much I love to look at the stars."

It was true, of course. Rukhsana's original studies had been concentrated in astronomy and astrophysics, and she couldn't wait to try out her new toy, especially on such a clear night. 

She was out behind the barn, adjusting the view, when Grandfather stepped out into the crisp night air behind her, looking up at the heavens with his naked eyes.  Maybe he was looking to see what she was searching for, or maybe he was searching for something himself -- something less scientific.

"Thank you for the telescope," Rukhsana said after a while, without looking up from her work. "It's beautiful. I know you did most of the work."

"You'd be surprised," Grandfather said with an absent smile. "Amelia is a handy little thing. Takes after her Grandpa Pascal."

Rukhsana stood up from her crouch, twisting her back to work out a stiff muscle "Do you want to take a look through it? I've found Arcturus."

Grandfather stepped over to look through the viewfinder, peering up at the bright dot magnified by the lenses.  "I've read a bit about the stars since I got here.  Amazing to think they're just balls of fire. Not at all what we think of them back home."

"No?"

"Your Egyptians believed something similar.  According to what I read in Al Simhara, they thought the evening Sun became a god who lifted pharoahs from their tombs and made them into stars after they died.  And I think it's the Zulu who believe the stars are the eyes of dead ancestors, keeping watch on the living."  He stood up, satisfied that he'd seen what he needed to see. "I'm sure you think that's ridiculous, though -- the superstitions of those who don't know any better."

Rukhsana smiled kindly back, understanding the impetus behind the question.  "Do you want to know what I think," she asked softly.  "I think one doesn't rule out the other.  The stars here may be quantifiable spheres of plasma, and we may be able to measure their mass and rank them by their luminosity.  We might be able to determine their chemical makeup and their age, and we might be able to predict what will happen to them and when.   But that's science.  And Ajri is magic.  And I don't know what happens there any more than you can look through this telescope and explain what you see. "

"Hmm," was all the response she got.

"What I do know," she continued, undeterred, "Is that as much as I understand science, as much as I rely on facts and proof, and as much as I admire the beauty of how our universe is put together … I also know that we only understand a very small fraction of it.  Your magic sounds just as miraculous.  And so just like a scientist, you must keep an open mind."

"GEOFF!"  Pascal's voice from the barn broke into the quiet scene. "Rukhsana -- come quick. There's something happening to the screen!"

"Hello? Jaffaran? Can you hear me?"

Inside, I had run to the controls of the new machine, banging away at the keyboard to try to resolve the incoming signal.  Pascal was frantically checking the pressure in the columns of gems and potions.  And on the screen, the fuzzy, pixelated face of a woman we'd never seen before was taking shape.
Grandfather's shout made it clear who she was, though.  "Mother!"

"Adamantine!" the figure said earnestly. "And lodestone! Proportion must be-- very important not to... Must form it-- shape of-- lotus-- base of tower-- Mount Helios."  The words were broken and choppy, but grandfather was hanging on every syllable.

"What proportion?" he called back. "What ratio? Etienne!" The last shout was to me as the speakers attached to the screen gave a shriek of feedback. 

"It's not ready!" I shouted back. "It's not finished. I can't keep the signal without--"

*BANG*

One of the columns cracked all the way up its glass face.  All of the warning lights, which had been flashing between green and yellow and red, went dark.  And so did the screen.

In the silence after the pop and crack of glass, Pascal turned to Grandfather in awe. "That was Ajri?"

"That was Ajri," Grandfather confirmed, with a determination I hadn’t heard in months.  "And now we know where to start on the portal."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2015, 11:47:38 PM »
Oh! I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I got to the last picture... *gasp*. That was brilliant.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
  • The Labelles shall overtake!
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
I can't wait till he finds out his daughter is still alive!  ;D

Offline melancholy_anju

• Occult
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
While catching up on the prequel I found this story, and I've spent all day enjoying this. Now I'm all caught up so I can comment. First I just want to jump back a couple of chapters and say that the bakery you made was breathtaking. It had to be said.  :) Now moving back to the present, this explains the sparkles I was curious about in your other story. It's so good to see all their hard work and skills paying off in forming a connection with Ajri. I hope the connection becomes more stable soon so Jaff and Lady Ybeline can talk about the fate of Ajiana. Last I'll just say Amelia is adorable and sorry for the long post.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
THERE IS A NEW POST ON THE AJRI STORY THAT FITS INTO THE AURORA SKIES TIMELINE HERE: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,18090.msg417602.html#msg417602

While catching up on the prequel I found this story, and I've spent all day enjoying this. Now I'm all caught up so I can comment. First I just want to jump back a couple of chapters and say that the bakery you made was breathtaking. It had to be said.  :) Now moving back to the present, this explains the sparkles I was curious about in your other story. It's so good to see all their hard work and skills paying off in forming a connection with Ajri. I hope the connection becomes more stable soon so Jaff and Lady Ybeline can talk about the fate of Ajiana. Last I'll just say Amelia is adorable and sorry for the long post.

Ha ha, after my enormously long posts, you have no need to apologize. I love to hear what other people are thinking as the story goes on.  As I said on the other thread, I am so happy you found this side of the story so you can keep up with what's going on now that they're crossing over so much.  And I'm glad you liked the bakery so much. I had really missed building at that point, and so I went all out putting it together. I ended up really loving my new versions of all those buildings.  I may uplod them at some point if I have time to take pictures, etc.

I can't wait till he finds out his daughter is still alive!  ;D

There's another post in the works, and you may get your wish very soon! :D

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Just wanted to say that I am still really enjoying this story and I can't wait for the next part. Having said that, I sure hope to see Alden soon, it has been way long enough for him to realize the whole 'dying' thing just isn't going to happen. It'll certainly be interesting to see how he's dealing with all of this.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2015, 01:48:28 PM »
No! The suspicion is killing me! I can't wait!  ;D

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »
Just wanted to say that I am still really enjoying this story and I can't wait for the next part. Having said that, I sure hope to see Alden soon, it has been way long enough for him to realize the whole 'dying' thing just isn't going to happen. It'll certainly be interesting to see how he's dealing with all of this.

Oh, that's a good point.  I mean, I know what's going on with Alden, and when he's going to need to show up again, but I'll have to try to think of a way to work him into the rest of the story so the rest of you have some idea where's he's been.  Probably not the next post, which is already waaaaaay too long as it is, but maybe in the one after that.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2015, 03:54:24 AM »
I'm really loving both of your Ajri stories! Especially how they link over and just the way you're telling this Dynasty story!  :D
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Nine (7-12-15)
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2015, 01:04:24 PM »
OK, I got out of hand with the length on this one. :P I was going to break in two or cut out the part with Amelia, but decided to just leave it all.  So here you go - two scenes in one! 

--------
While Rukhsana and I kept working on the communication system, trying to repair the damage that had been done to it, and trying to make it fully functional for the next attempt to contact Ajri, Grandfather was busy drawing plans.

Apparently the 'lotus' that his mother had mentioned was a crystal and metal structure that stood at the base of a ruined tower in the den'Rhelys mountains on Ajri.  The lotus itself was in partial ruins, but enough of it was still standing that it was possible to determine what it would have looked like when whole.

Grandfather was doing his best to try to remember every detail of the metal 'leaves' and the crystal 'petals' that rose upward to form the blossom shape.  He woke in the middle of the night, jotting notes about possible dimensions, or about the specifics of the carvings on the stone base.

And eventually, months later, he was able to put together a scale model of what he thought the finished structure would have looked like when first built.

That was, unfortunately where our progress stopped.  We'd had no more communication from his -- I guess 'our' -- family in Ajri, and given the cryptic warnings we'd heard about 'proportion' and it being 'very important not to' do something, we didn't want to proceed much further without knowing for sure that we had the model correct.

In addition, there was apparently no such thing as adamantine.  To hear grandfather talk about it, it was apparently strewn all over the beaches of Ajri, in giant, shiny chunks.  But neither Rukhsana nor I had ever heard of it, it wasn't on any periodic chart or any list of alloys we'd ever seen, and the one time I raised it at the lab, my research partner just laughed. 

"What are you making, Captain America's shield?"

"What?"

"Adamantium's not real. It's just from the comics, you know? Ultron's armor and all that."

"Not adamantium.  Adamantine."

"Oh, well, right. Sorry, man.  I apologize. That's a whole different thing."

"Exactly."

"Yeah, I think that's what the giant turtles drop in Final Fantasy."

"Never mind."

Lodestone was a different matter -- quite literally.  It was an old term used to describe naturally magnetized pieces of magnetite, and it referred to the use of the rock in compasses -- a 'lead stone' or direction finder. 

No one knew how the stones were made magnetic, but the most prevalent theory was that if a rock with the proper composition were struck by lightning, it had a chance to become a lodestone. The problem was, there weren't very many of them around, and most of them were in museums and labs that weren't going to give them away to a bunch of lunatics living in a barn and trying to construct a magic gateway to another world.

So we were stymied, until we could get more information about adamantine, which meant until we could get the communication array working. And until we could find a convenient lightning strike that just happened to hit the perfect rock.

Believe it or not, that's where Amelia came in.

"Yeah, sure, I'm at school.  Of course. Right, yeah. Love you too. Bye!"  She rolled her eyes with a typical teenage irritation as she ended the call, propping her feet up on the table and leaning back in her chair as she reached for a magazine. "Whatever, nerds."

"Was that your mother or your father?" Grandfather had stepped into the barn behind her, and had apparently overheard the entire conversation -- or at least the half on this side of the phone.

Amelia scraped her chair back, standing up in a second. "Oh, uh… hi! That was… it was…" Grandfather could see the wheels turning in her head as she scrambled to come up with a cover story and Amelia could see that there was no way he would buy it, no matter what she said.  So she simply shrugged. "Yeah, that was Mom."

Grandfather just nodded as he stepped closer, craning his neck forward to see what she was reading.  "Popular Invention?  That's more important than school?"

She sighed with the long-suffering patience of someone who'd been asked that question multiple times, in multiple scenarios. "At least it's not Bridgeport Fashion," she mumbled, managing to sound annoyed and contrite at the same time.

"No.  But school is important, Amelia.  Look what your mother and father have done with their education. If you want to get into University--"

"Who says I want to get into University?  Who says I want to wear a lab coat? There's more to life than books, books, books!" She threw her hands up in frustration, then jabbed a finger toward the work bench, where a pile of metal scraps surrounded a newly finished -- I think the only word to describe it properly would have to be 'contraption.'  "I built that without going to University.  Sometimes you just have to DO things, you know? Experiment! Try things out!"

"Like you tried fixing the kitchen sink?"  Grandfather raised a skeptical eyebrow.  That particular experiment had ruined the pipes, the cabinet and the floor.

"I've gotten better at plumbing," Amelia replied, looking down at the floor and kicking at a loose nail with her boot. "The showers don't break anymore. Much."

"That's true." Grandfather couldn't help but smile at the defense. "And I happen to agree with you that there is more to life than books.  But books are a necessary part.  Now -- I'll overlook you skipping your classes once --" He held up a single finger to cut off her enthusiastic thanks. "ONCE.  And you're not to lie to your parents again, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir," she said dutifully.

"Good. So tell me what this… thing… is for?"

"Why does everything have to have a purpose? I just made it because I wanted to see if I could.  There was an article about using electricity to make magnets, and I know you and my dad and Grandpa Pascal have been talking about magnetizing rock with electricity, and so I wanted to see if I could do it, but I used a duck not a rock, because I had a duck, and ducks are made of rubber, and rubber doesn't usually work for that, so I borrowed some of the potion you guys were working on, and I'm sorry I didn’t ask, but it worked."

Grandfather blinked as the torrent of words ended, and he was confronted with the evidence of what Amelia had said: it worked. The rubber duck was -- apparently -- floating on a cloud of electrostatic repulsion.  "You can't have just coated it in the potion. Your father tried that already."

"No," Amelia replied, hesitantly at first, but with growing enthusiasm as she realized she wasn't in trouble. "It has less to do with the thing you're trying to magnetize, and more to do with the way you introduce the current.   So I made a new battery, and instead of just using a dry cell like a normal battery, I made a wet cell with the potion, which must have changed the way the electricity came out, because--" She gestured at the duck, which was still floating.

"And if you cut the power, it falls, right? It's not magnetic anymore?"  That was me -- I had come home from the lab, and found the pair of them in the barn.   Amelia jumped at the sound of my voice, sure I was about to lecture her on being home during a school day, but in truth I was fascinated by what she was saying.  "It's only held up because it's in the current?"

"Uh, no."  She picked up the duck with a roll of her eyes, held it out, then let go.  It sprang out of her hand and attached itself to the workbench with a loud THUNK. 

Grandfather blinked in surprise. "How did you do that?"

My father, who had wandered in when he heard us talking, tilted his head curiously. "What made you think to put potion in a battery?"

"That's like an old Edison-Lalande cell," I said as I peered into the battery, "but with silicon dioxide instead of copper. How did you calculate the proper pH for the potion to get it to function as an efficient electrolyte?"

Amelia was trying to tug the duck back away from the workbench as she answered each one of us in turn: "I don't know. I just thought it might work. And why do I never even know what you're talking about?"

A few hours later, after we had quizzed poor Amelia about every step of her process, we had come to two conclusions. First, what she had done looked promising, but we would need to more systematically analyze what had happened to see if we could use it to reproduce lodestone. Second, Amelia had absolutely no scientific discipline at all, but she had an innate talent for tinkering with things and getting them to work.  And that was just the sort of outside-the-box thinking we needed.

Before we could get too far along in testing her insane quartz-and-potion battery, however, it was time for another attempt to contact Ajri -- this time on the monitor for all of us to see.

"Ready?"

"Ready."

We'd all gathered in the barn as though we were getting ready for a family photo -- brushed hair, pressed clothes and nervous hope as we waited for the communications array to warm up.  The charged pillars we'd lined with gems and potions began to turn, and Rukhsana monitored the pressure in their sealed case while I adjusted frequencies and outputs in response to readings on the computer.

I think that after all of our prior trials and all of the associated pandemonium, we were expecting more noise, or more mayhem, or at least a little fanfare.  But this time, for once, the insane machine we'd built actually worked as it was supposed to, and with no commotion of any kind, the lights transitioned to green, the signal connected with a quiet *ding* and the screen above the bank of servers came to life.

"Is that it?"  My mother craned her neck forward to get a good look at the strange room on the other side of the connection. "I can’t see anything -- only a chair, and wall."

"Hello?" a confused voice answered from the speakers beside the screen. The room seemed to spin as whatever device was being used on the other side was turned around. And then a face came into view, in front of a shelf full of strange bottles and books. "Who's in there?"

"It's me, Uncle Edran." Grandfather stepped forward, holding up a hand. "It's Jaffaran."

The man on the screen peered more intently, studying the old man that had been a young man just a few weeks before in Ajri.  Eventually, Edran sat back in surprise.  "Jaffaran! But you-- How long--Ybeline!" He was shouting now, to someone outside the frame."Ybeline, it's Jaffaran... I think. Are those--"

Before Uncle Edran could form any more half-questions, the room spun again, and this time centered on the face we had all seen before, in the fuzzy image that had appeared on Rukhsana's birthday.  The woman we had come to recognize as Grandfather's mother smiled eagerly, and then blinked in startled dismay.

"I'm old," Grandfather said, before she could say a word. "I know."

"How long have you been there?" Ybeline asked in amazement.  "It's been only a few weeks here."

Grandfather smiled sadly in response, and shook his head. "I've lost track," he said. "Around a hundred years I think."

"A hundred--" Ybeline sounded distraught at the idea, but before she could say anything else, another man appeared over her shoulder, squinting back at us.

"Son?"

"Hello, father. We're making progress."  He turned to my mother first.  "This is Claudia, and this is Etienne, and Amelia." 

"Hello," my mother said shyly, standing close to my wife and my dad.  Amelia lifted her hand as well, in a small greeting. We were all enthralled by the images, and trying to take in all of the details we could.

"Already?" Grandfather's father asked, leaning even closer. "How long have you--"

"A hundred years," Ybeline cut off the inquiry, her voice shaking.  "But we knew it would take a long time," she added more firmly, taking hold of her husband's hand for comfort.  "And so these are our -- let me see... Granddaughter, great-grandson and great-great-granddaughter?"

"That's four generations," her husband said encouragingly. "Your mother and I make five -- you're more than halfway there."

"Six actually," Grandfather said after a moment's pause. "But-- we may need to start again with Claudia, which means Amelia is only generation three."

"What? Why?"

Rubbing at his forehead, Grandfather related the problems with Alden, and the fact that we didn't know where he was. "... or even if he's alive," Grandfather finished. "I'm sorry.  We'll keep looking, of course, but I'm so sorry."

Lord Mithren, as we knew Grandfather's father was named, shook his head at the apology. "You've done more than we expected," he said. "And you have time, even if we have to start with Claudia." 

Grandfather nodded, though he looked unconvinced. "All's well then?  You and mother? Nella and Meri?"

"All well," Lord Mithren replied. "Your sister's with the Pembina, and Meridel is here, working with the physicians."

"And Ajiana?"  Grandfather asked the question hesitantly, as if expecting bad news.  My mother put a comforting hand on his back.

"Oh!" Ybeline exclaimed. "Of course you don't know.  She's fine. Edran--"

But Uncle Edran was already poking his head through a door in the background, talking to someone else off screen.

"It was her bloodline that protected her," Lord Mithren said, recounting more of the situation in Ajri.  Someone named Stellan was very ill, and someone named Mara was unlikely to survive.  "...and some of the scholars here have died.  But the Peninsula has been worst affected, and--"

"Daddy!"  A high-pitched voice broke through the somber recounting, and a little girl, her hair tied in ribbons and flowers, darted into the picture.  But she was focused on me, not Grandfather, and she looked perplexed. "You look different."

"That's your nephew, Etienne," Ybeline said to her quietly, then pointed her toward Grandfather. "Your father is here."

The little girl blinked in confusion, not at all sure what to make of the old man lifting a hand to wave at her, his eyes bright with adoration. But she lifted her own hand, shyly, and then broke into a broad smile at the sound of his voice saying "Hello, Ajiana."

She craned her neck around to see each of the rest of us as Grandfather introduced us again, and told her a little bit about life in Aurora Skies -- she was especially sad to hear that his horse Astanal had died, especially curious about her 'cousin' Amelia, and especially intrigued by the idea of snow.

But though none of us wanted to interrupt Grandfather's time with his family, nor to put an end to our chance to meet them, Rukhsana eventually reported that the charmed gems we used to open the channel were running out.  "Ten minutes," she warned quietly as the first of the warning lights started to flash between yellow and orange.

"Oh, no..." Ybeline said, reaching out as if to touch her son through the screen.  "So soon?"

"You must tell him the dimensions," Edran's voice came from off to the side. And then he was scooting a chair into the frame, and taking a seat. "Listen, boy," he said without a moment's thought for the fact that his nephew looked older than he did. "We've found the proper dimensions for the base of the lotus. Take these down now..."

My father darted forward with a pen and paper, Amelia whipped out her trusty cell phone, and I leaned in closer to be sure I heard as Uncle Edran listed the information they'd found in their archives.  All of us were just recording whatever he said, without understanding much of it -- I saw Amelia's eyebrows go up in confusion as she started typing in dimensions listed in cubits and remen and spans, but her fingers flew over the keyboard without a pause.

"...be sure to forge the lodestone with the electrum. You cannot simply inlay it. And the petals must be veined with pallasite and heliolite, a full span at center point, tapering to points at the tips.  I should note that--  Jaffaran?"  He leaned forward suddenly, peering into the screen. "Are you there, boy?"

"Signal degradation," Rukhsana reported. "Trying to compensate, but you have less than a minute."

I jumped to the computer to try to assist her, but it was no use. The image on the screen started to break up.

"We'll contact you again," Grandfather shouted, "But it will take time." 

Edran shook his head and pointed to his ear, unable to hear. Ajiana jumped off her grandmother's lap, and squinted into the screen.  "Daddy?"

"We'll be here, son, whenever you call.  Someone will answer."  Mithren smiled encouragingly into the screen, as Ybeline nodded.  But Grandfather's eyes were on his daughter, as she clasped her hands together in the traditional farewell. 

"I'll be home soon," he called, just in case she could hear. 

And her lips formed the silent words "I miss you," just before the screen went dark.

Offline mpart

• A Crazy
  • Immortal
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »
Yay! Ajiana  is so cute! I'm happy for Jaffran, and I think Amelia is my new favorite immortal.  :)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2015, 05:51:38 PM »
Wow. Amelia's character is just so fantastic. I love that while Jaffaran was busy trying to frantically write down all the details she whips out her phone. Classic. The absolute worst part of your story telling is that we have to wait for the next update!  :) I can't wait to see what happens next.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »
Yay! Ajiana  is so cute! I'm happy for Jaffran, and I think Amelia is my new favorite immortal.  :)

Wow. Amelia's character is just so fantastic. I love that while Jaffaran was busy trying to frantically write down all the details she whips out her phone. Classic.

Ha ha. I like Amelia too, though I am trying to use some traits I've never played with before, so I gave her 'slob,' and I have to say, she passes a LOT of gas. Good lord.  It must be extra dangerous for her to wield that propane torch at the invention workbench!  The first time I saw/heard that animation, and then saw her giggling about it, I was thinking "That can't be what just happened."  But yes, yes it was.  And the plate licking is kind of hilarious.

The absolute worst part of your story telling is that we have to wait for the next update!  :) I can't wait to see what happens next.

Well! I wouldn't want you to suffer too long!  ;D New post incoming!

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Thirty (7-13-15)
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
Meanwhile, in China, unbeknownst to any of us in Aurora Skies, Alden was poring over old texts in the library of an ancient, remote monastery.  To the monks, he was just an eccentric pilgrim.  He kept to himself, spending his days huddled in a corner with his books and tea, ignoring anyone who approached him, or snapping at them in perfect Mandarin -- even those who simply tried to show him some deference in recognition of his obviously advanced age.

But then he had never been particularly cheerful, and he had been alone now for many, many years. At first, after Joline's funeral, he'd simply stayed in Champs Les Sims, waiting to join her in whatever came after -- even if it was just a long nothing, side-by-side with her in the ground.  He had no heart to leave, with her gravestone fresh in the local churchyard. 

But eventually, when he'd not only lived longer than expected, but his aches and pains had all disappeared, and his strength was obviously growing instead of fading, he'd peered at himself in the bedroom mirror, and he'd been forced to accept what he had never believed -- the recipe his father had given him had worked in some way.

It hadn't worked on Joline of course, any more than it had worked on his mother, and very likely his father would have some excuse about her not being one of the Chosen Few, or whatever he believed.  But as far as Alden was concerned, it didn't matter. All that mattered was that his father -- in one final assault -- had cursed him to spend an eternity alone.  Interfering with his life hadn't been enough; Geoff had stolen his death from him as well.  And instead of life with Claudia, or death with Joline, Alden had nothing to look forward to but years upon years of loneliness.

As time went on, and whispers started circulating around the small town about the ancient man who lived in the small stone cottage, he realized he would have to take things into his own hands, one way or another.  And as he stood on the edge of the bridge, looking down at the river and contemplating his choices, not even knowing if jumping would work, he made a decision: to try first to find Claudia, the daughter that had run away to her meddling grandfather.  If he was alive, it stood to reason that she would be too -- and Geoff, as well, so they could finally have their overdue reckoning.

He went first to Aurora Skies, to the old cottage where they'd lived as children.  But though someone had clearly expanded it at some point, now the windows were shuttered, the barn was gone, and there was no sign of anyone on the property.  The clerk at the city hall said that no one had lived there in years, ever since Reynar Ingberg had died, and no one living in the town at this point had even heard of Geoff, Claudia or Pascal Morel.

He went next to Egypt -- Geoff had always been fascinated with the Egyptians, rambling on about how their technology and traditions were so close to things on Ajri.  But there was no sign of them there.

Nor in the deserts of the American southwest, or the lush forests of British Columbia, where the symbolism and art of the native tribes had been another of his father's fascinations.

No matter where he looked, he found no trace.  Eventually, he was forced to turn to the material he hated most: his father's books about Ajri.  And eventually, he had decided that there must be some sort of 'magic' at work.  After decades of travel and study, and after the effects of the strange concoction he'd eaten, he was willing to admit that there must be types of science that looked like magic, and that his father might be a better charlatan than he'd originally thought.

So now here he was in China, digging through old mystical texts, and trying to puzzle out a way to find his daughter, and steal her back from the man who had ruined his life.  He waved an irritated hand over his tea as a moth hovered above it, drawn to the warmth and the light of his lantern.  When the small creature wafted back over, Alden picked up a book, and swatted it to the desk.

"Perhaps, my brother," the old abbot offered, "if you would tell me what it is that you seek…"

"I'm not your brother," Alden replied. 

"Anger and bitterness will gain you nothing," the abbot tried again.  "Only through a peaceful heart can you find enlightenment."

"Save your advice for the fortune cookies," Alden snapped back.  "And leave me alone."

The abbot was not easily flustered, and so his thoughts were still charitable. "I do not think you truly wish to be alone," he said. "I think you may have been alone long enough."

Alden's only reply was to turn his chair to face away from the abbot, making sure to scrape the legs on the floor to demonstrate that it was deliberate.

"Very well," said the old monk, disappearing back into the monastery.  And Alden was left alone with his reading, isolated in his small pool of light.

Back in the barn, age was catching up with my dad.  He was walking more slowly, sleeping more often, and leaving most of the crafting he would normally do on the workbench to Amelia. 

And he was making comments that I think were his attempt to prepare us for the fact that soon we'd be without him.   

"I can't thank you enough," he said to Grandfather one evening.  "To live so many adventures in one short lifetime -- it's more than any man could hope for."

"I'm the one who should be thanking you," Grandfather replied.  "You're the reason Claudia came back, and the reason we've made contact again with Ajri."

"Ah, Ajri," my father sighed. "I only wish I could have seen more of it.  The beaches maybe, with the silver sand.  Or the mountains.  Or the palace! And the lotus -- oh, I wish I could see that work.  But.  As we've always known, I'll be long gone by the time you all go back."

I think that after so many years here, Grandfather had developed an innate sense of when someone was going to leave us. Because it was only a few days later when he asked me how long of a call to Ajri we could manage with the supplies we had now.

"Ten minutes?  Maybe fifteen, if you want us to try.  But we've barely had a chance to recharge it, and--"

"Tonight," he said.

"OK, I'll get Rukhsana."

"Yes," he replied.  "And your mother and father, and Amelia."  Then he clapped me on the shoulder in an odd sort of way, and climbed wearily up the spiral staircase to the bedrooms upstairs.

I watched him go with a worried frown, not sure what was going on -- but he'd made it clear we needed to call, so I started up the array.

In about half an hour, when the hum of the equipment was apparent, Grandfather came back downstairs.  "I'll finish making the connection," he told me. "Go and get the rest of the family."

By the time we got back downstairs, holding onto my father's shoulders to help keep him upright, Grandfather was already talking to Lady Ybeline on screen.  "...of course," she was saying with a kindly expression. "It's the very least we can do. Let me just get your father to help."

My father ambled forward, peering up at the screen, which had gone blurry, as if it was covered with a cloth. "Connected already?  Have I missed anything?"

"Not a thing, old friend." Grandfather turned around and pulled over a chair. "You're just in time."

"Oh, for what?"

"To see the beaches," Grandfather said with a smile, though his eyes were sad. "And the palace.  Come on..." 

He patted the back of the chair, but my father shook his head. "No no-- you can't waste the time on that.  It's too expensive. It's too difficult to make the connection. You need to talk about the lotus, and--"

"We're ready," said Lady Ybeline.  She was standing outside, a breeze blowing through her hair.

"There's nothing new for them to tell us," Grandfather said quietly. "It hasn't been long enough there. It's only been a few hours. This time is all for you, Pascal."  He nodded to his mother, who smiled down at Pascal, and then she tossed up the seeing stone that Grandfather had told us was the device they used to view our world.  For a moment, it hung in the air, and Ybeline was just visible below it, moving her fingers in an intricate pattern. 

And then she pointed, and the stone moved.  It rocketed over the balcony rail, spinning and swooping to show us a beautiful white palace with turquoise roofs. 

It whirled away over the trees and skimmed along a pristine beach, with crystal clear water lapping at the shores and horses pounding their hooves into the sand as they ran before it.

It passed fishing villages with thatched roofs, and terracotta buildings around a huge market square.  And then it soared up the side of a green-covered mountain, darted around a tower and rose through a flock of brightly colored birds, turning again, high above the island, to face the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen.

We all continued to watch, enthralled, until the picture began to skip and stutter.  It was only then that I tore my eyes away, and saw that Grandfather had slipped out of the room.  And my father had stood up from his chair, to stand where my mother was holding his hands, tears in her eyes.

"No need for that," he said tenderly. "We've had our time.  And now I've seen where you and Etienne and Amelia will go, and I know you'll be happy.  So you promise me that you'll get there.  And that you'll take my memory with you.  And we'll be together as long as you remember me."