Author Topic: The Childer Legacy - Chapter 8 - Jan 3, 2015  (Read 16718 times)

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
Re: The Childer Legacy - Chapter 3 Dec 17, 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »
Neither of whom were particularly gifted in making music.

I can *just* imagine.  Very nice work, Whirligig.  I like the way you handled the telling Bjoren that he's a spare head-on.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: The Childer Legacy - Chapter 4 Dec 20, 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
Awww!  That face was so sad!  And adorable... Poor kid.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
I've just caught up. This is a really wonderful story and I love how you are building the characters.  I also really enjoyed the different way you started the legacy. Hopefully Bjoren will be ok.. soon.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
Re: The Childer Legacy - Chapter 3 Dec 17, 2014
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 03:34:25 AM »
I can *just* imagine.  Very nice work, Whirligig.  I like the way you handled the telling Bjoren that he's a spare head-on.
Thanks Ginj. Admittedly, that conversation took up more of this chapter than I would have liked, but I felt like it was important.

Awww!  That face was so sad!  And adorable... Poor kid.
Haha, thanks. :) I love the emotive faces sims pull in this game - that was actually his response to "Share big news" which seemed close enough. ;)

I've just caught up. This is a really wonderful story and I love how you are building the characters.  I also really enjoyed the different way you started the legacy. Hopefully Bjoren will be ok.. soon.
Thanks KTK10, so glad to have you on board. :) I feel like I'm trying too hard with character development, so it's reassuring to hear that it's coming through. :)
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »
Chapter 5 - Friends (Part I)

"So that's what happened. Mom's gonna have a baby and that baby's gonna heir instead of me jus' for bein' born! It's not fair!"

After discussing the matter of the legacy's succession laws, Astrid had had to leave for work. Mitchell, who had overheard most of the conversation, had then tried to console his shattered son with comfort food (leftover Chili Con Carne) and steady words of encouragement.

Truthfully, Mitchell wished Astrid had held off on telling Bjoern about the Childer succession laws. Now Bjoern resented his unborn sibling from day dot, and Mitchell wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Astrid had triggered some sort of identity complex in him prematurely.

"Being a spare doesn't mean that you aren't important, Bjoern," Mitchell had told him, after explaining why the succession laws were what they were. "You get to live out the best days of your life here with us, and after that, you have some degree of freedom."

"But it's not the same," Bjoern had argued. So then Mitchell suggested Bjoern invite Elijah over to play, and then after he had finished some work on his comedy routines, Mitchell would take them to the park.

"Bro, that really smarts." Elijah empathised. "I know how much you like being a legacy sim. I thought it was usually the firstborn who got to be heir?"

"Nuh-uh, not in this family. Dad explained to me that the Childer legacy isn't about rushing through the generations as fast as possible - it's about getting the highest score possible."

"That sucks a lot."

"Tell me about it."

"Maybe it won't be so bad after a while." Elijah ventured after a few moments of sympathetic silence. "Maybe you could still live with your family until there's no more room - and hey, I think being a big brother could be pretty cool. What are you hoping for; a brother or a sister?"

Bjoern pondered this query for a good long while. All this time he had been so preoccupied with the revelation that he would only be a spare in his family's legacy that he'd barely lent a thought to the nooboo who would unsurp his position.

"I dunno," he shrugged. "Maybe a brother?"

Elijah nodded enthusiastically. "I think so. A brother would be way more fun."

"Yeah," sulked Bjoern, "fun."

He was determined to not like this kid.

"Anyways," said Elijah, "I think you're pretty awesome, and way more important than some nooboo, regardless of what your parents or some dopey rules say."

Bjoern managed a smile, then a hug. "Thanks, 'Lijah. You're the bestest of friends a legacy spare could ask for!"

"Okay boys, we haven't got long. I have a birthday party to plan for this afternoon. Meet a few kids, grab some names and numbers and then we need to get back home," Mitchell instructed when the boys arrived at the playground.

"Sure thing, Dad!" Bjoern said. He was feeling better already and excited to meet the kids he needed to meet and eventually befriend in order to complete his aspiration. "Come on Elijah, I don't think there'll be any Mom-monsters in space today!"

"Oh I hope not."

"I'm going to be the engineer today. Looks like someone else is captain. Heeey, Captain! I'm Bjoern, and this is Elijah, reporting for duty sir!"

"I'm Captain Brice!" said the boy. "See that planet there? It's being invaded by the Slovene, and it's up to us to save it! Full speed ahead!"

Before too long, a whole group of boys had joined them on the spaceship; besides Brice, there was Stuart (in the hat) and Elliott (in the sunnies), and it was just in time too, because Astrid was nearly finished work for the day, so Mitchell soon came 'round to tell Bjoern it was time to go home.

So Bjoern brought his new friends with him.

The occasion was, of course, Mitchell's adult birthday. Astrid scoffed at thought of him being a 'fully mature grown-up" but Mitchell insisted he could be mature.

His guitar skill had improved - Astrid would give him that. He only played a few songs to satisfy a party requirement, then decided to get on with the festivities.

Astrid was barely home from work when the party started, so she went straight to baking a cake for Mitchell.

No sooner was the cake out of the oven than the candles were on it and Mitchell was ready to blow them out.

"Make a wish lovely," Astrid said to him.

But Mitchell was happy. Sure, they could do with a bit more cash, and there was the baby to worry about, and it had been a while since either of them had seen a promotion, but there wasn't much to wish for necessarily.

Except, perhaps, for wisdom. Now that he was older and, um, wiser, supposedly, and their family was growing, he and Astrid would have some decisions to make and they would need wisdom to face the challenges that laid ahead.

For now, however, all that remained was to enjoy the party with friends and acquaintances alike. Astrid felt confident that they had yet another gold medal event in the bag.

Bjoern and his friends played cards.

"Thanks for coming over guys," Bjoern told them. "It's been so great to meet you all today. Will you come over again tomorrow, Brice? Stuart?"

"Sure, love to," said Stuart.

"Hooray! My Mom and Dad are boring, mean dumb dumbs so I'll be grateful for the company of others."

"Bjoern, stop yammering," chided Elijah, "Brice, do you have a Starfish?"

"Nope," said Brice, "Go fish!"

"Really, Shelley, my boy's still a child. You really thought that was appropriate party attire?"

"I couldn't help it, Mitchell," the teen protested, "I aged up and had no say in the matter of my attire. If there was some way, perhaps a cheat code?"

Mitchell shook his head, "unfortunately, no. Cheat codes are banned in this household."

"But only to change my attire?" Shelley argued.

Mitchell shook his head. "I am very sorry."

"Also, I do believe that's checkmate. Wouldn't you agree, J?"

J nodded solemnly, "I believe he's got you, Shelley."

"Oh, poppycock. This is such a lame party," she fumed.

"Actually," Mitchell said, "You just played a game with the Birthday Sim, and that makes this officially a gold-medal event!"

"Well, my love," Mitchell said to his wife, "Parties seem to be our thing. Perhaps I should change my aspiration?"

"I am proud of you Mitchell. Not yet - perhaps when you've finished the one you've got?"

Mitchell nodded, "Yes, perhaps."

"And now, my love, for your birthday present," Astrid said with a giggle "It's not like I can get any more pregnant than I already am." Mitchell beamed, eager to prove that even as a mature adult, he still had it.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
Oh dear, poor Bjoren.  He certainly didn't take that well, did he?  I hope he gets a little sister and becomes protective of her!

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 09:03:46 PM »
Oh dear, poor Bjoren.  He certainly didn't take that well, did he?  I hope he gets a little sister and becomes protective of her!
Thanks Shewolf. If and when the forum stops shooting me error messages every time I try to post more than a few sentences, I'll post the second part of the chapter. I promise, it's not all bad!
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »
You’re very good with words, especially for wordplay's. Your writing style is also stunning and your screenshots is charming, it just like reading a graphical novel :) Ah, you have your point. Well, sandbox games are tedious without a purpose, glad there are challenges to keep Watchers amuse. For me what makes me amuse is not the challenge itself but random things that my Sims could make, I always laugh at their antics especially for gestures and facial expressions ;)

Astrid is one smart lady; she knows how to do the right things even in a tight spot! I love her confidence, independence, guts and unexpected sense of humor that comes out nowhere! She had class! Well, done!  ;D

…and the house! *squeal* I love the wood patterns outside!

Mitchell also a lovely husband! Well, thing to be sure of that Astrid had a good eye for spouse material that others couldn’t see.
Ooh, I love Bjoern voice, especially about “But, Mo-om!” Aww, I thought Astrid would tell him when he’s older. Truth maybe hurt, but it better than comforted by a lie. It must be hard for Astrid but I hope Bjoern would understand when he’s older… and not using legacy spare as his label, that’s too sad (for me).

I wondered for 5 ½ chapters, what’s Childer mean to you? It’s related to child-like thing?
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 07:49:30 AM »
Hey guys, I'm still getting forbidden/server errors whenever I try to post the next part of the chapter. I had no intention of  making you all wait so long :-(

You’re very good with words, especially for wordplay's. Your writing style is also stunning and your screenshots is charming, it just like reading a graphical novel :) Ah, you have your point. Well, sandbox games are tedious without a purpose, glad there are challenges to keep Watchers amuse. For me what makes me amuse is not the challenge itself but random things that my Sims could make, I always laugh at their antics especially for gestures and facial expressions ;)

Astrid is one smart lady; she knows how to do the right things even in a tight spot! I love her confidence, independence, guts and unexpected sense of humor that comes out nowhere! She had class! Well, done!  ;D

…and the house! *squeal* I love the wood patterns outside!

Mitchell also a lovely husband! Well, thing to be sure of that Astrid had a good eye for spouse material that others couldn’t see.
Ooh, I love Bjoern voice, especially about “But, Mo-om!” Aww, I thought Astrid would tell him when he’s older. Truth maybe hurt, but it better than comforted by a lie. It must be hard for Astrid but I hope Bjoern would understand when he’s older… and not using legacy spare as his label, that’s too sad (for me).

I wondered for 5 ½ chapters, what’s Childer mean to you? It’s related to child-like thing?
Thanks so much for the lovely comment, Ari. :-) I quite like Astrid, she's rather balanced and fun. She and Mitchell are lively to play and I do hope I'm doing her voice justice. Bjoern is just plain fun, but then I love children. I am also appreciating how much easier their schoolwork and aspirations are, as it gives me more time to just have fun with them.

I loose interest in a household quickly if I don't have a challenge to amuse me, and the points are definitely what's driving this for me, at least partially. I also used to be part of the forum boolprop fighttheaddiction false - gosh, five or six years ago now where elaborate storytelling for legacies was the done thing and I guess I just fell back into the habit of that.

Childer has no real significance to me. I initially started on this legacy when I was distracted from my Immortal Dynasty Challenge and just wanted something light. I didn't put much thought into the name. When I failed the dynasty, I came back and decided to make this my focus for the time being - I just had to keep the name. The name Childer is only one letter off my own surname, though, which is probably what I was thinking when I started out.
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 10:38:12 AM »
Hey guys, I'm still getting forbidden/server errors whenever I try to post the next part of the chapter. I had no intention of  making you all wait so long :-(

Whirl, if you are still getting the error messages, PM Carl.  He actually put an announcement up that if you were experiencing those to PM him.  It has to do with some new security he's putting in place.  He has to find individual problems though and fix them manually, so if no one tells him about, it takes longer for him to get to the problems.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
Chapter 5  - Friends (Part II)

"Heeey Brice, thanks for coming over. I know it was a bit chaotic yesterday."

The following morning, Bjoern was up at the crack of dawn while his parents still slept, inexplicably worn out.

"No problem, Bjoern," said Brice, "besides, I had fun yesterday. Are there going to be that many people here again today?"

"Err, no, not that many. It was Dad's birthday yesterday, is all. But I might invite Elijah and Elliott and Stuart over to play later, if that's okay."

"Oh, okay."

Bjoern was determined, see. Determined to do just what his Mom said he was good at - making friends with everyone and including them in his fun.

So all that day, while his parents worked on their boring, grown-up jobs, he worked on being a kid. A social, friendly, nice-to-everyone-even-though-he-didn't-want-to kid.

He and his friends played chess.

They told jokes and silly stories.

By sundown, everyone was there. Bjoern was even thinking of starting a club with him and Elijah and Stuart and Brice and Elliott. But he couldn't think of a good name.

When it got dark, everyone went inside for a dance party - until Astrid told them they needed to go home because she had a headache. This further strengthened Elijah's theory that mom-monsters were the absolute worst.

But they were good for him - all these friends. They made him happy, cheered him up and took his mind off the fact that by this time tomorrow, there would be a new baby in the house. He didn't exactly want there to be a new baby - in fact, Bjoern wondered whether or not he even liked his family at all.

There was truth, he decided, in what he'd heard a grown-up say at Dad's party yesterday: you can't choose your family, but you can choose your friends.

And his friends were pretty darn cool.

----

Author's note: this Chapter took much longer to get posted than usual (even with Christmas) because of my usual overheating laptop issues causing me to lose progress a few times. And then there was a point where I chose to play through a few days because I lost all the screenshots I had taken *facepalm*. And then, when I was trying to publish it, the forum was giving me a 'forbidden' message so I had to wait until that issue was resolved. But, at long last, here it is!

And then I couldn't decide what pictures to eliminate to keep it under the 25 picture limit, so it's been split in two. Please read it as one chapter.

Apologies for the delay, and a very Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates (my Christmas involved dinner with a handful of Christians, a Hindu family, an Islamic family friend, and a random Buddhist, coming from Canada, Australia, South Africa, Nepal and Pakistan. We had ham for the Christians and Hindus, Halal chicken for the muslim, and various vegetarian curries for the Buddhist. It was like no Christmas dinner I've had before, and it was absolutely beautiful. :) )
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 06:13:03 PM »
Whirl, if you are still getting the error messages, PM Carl.  He actually put an announcement up that if you were experiencing those to PM him.  It has to do with some new security he's putting in place.  He has to find individual problems though and fix them manually, so if no one tells him about, it takes longer for him to get to the problems.
Thanks SheWolf. :) I've seen the announcements, and I think he's gotten 3 or 4 e-mails from me in the past couple of days (for a while, I couldn't PM anyone, either :-P ). :)

Also, the chapter has been posted! Huzzah!
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin

Offline arimau

• Eau Lumineuse
  • Occult
  • Time changes people hearts...
    • arimau's Playground
Re: The Childer Legacy - Chapter 5 Part 2 Dec 29, 2014
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
Oh, how I fond Elliott name.

Yea, I agree with her on Astrid's point. She’s very thoughtful and thinking thing thoroughly. Not all the grownup had wonderful childhood. Some of them are forced to be grownup before their time is come. How lucky Bjoern to have Astrid as his Mom, absolutely when he’s found out the hidden message ;)

I really love the Dance party screenshot! Y’know, the one that featured Elijah and his thought about Mom-monster and there’s such a beautiful message as well.

That’s a beautiful way to celebrate Christmas. My families also are a huge melting pot and we have different belief and cultures as well. Most of them are scattered over worldwide. So, when it comes to holiday there’s variety to celebrate. Oh, how I wished that I had my Gran and Great-Uncle blue eyes :P

There’s a beauty in diversity XD

I am enjoying this story so much. Looking forward for more~
Arimau's Playground
Life Sounds Like (Complete)
This Is I Promise You: Bad Day

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln -
"Because out of the heart's store come the words of the mouth." - unknown -

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
Elijah and Bjoern make the coolest wee mates. It's lovely to see their friendship grow as a story line. Also handy for completing aspirations!  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Whirligig

• Simmer Down Sally
  • Occult
    • Whirligig Plays Sims
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 06:25:57 AM »
Oh, how I fond Elliott name.

Yea, I agree with her on Astrid's point. She’s very thoughtful and thinking thing thoroughly. Not all the grownup had wonderful childhood. Some of them are forced to be grownup before their time is come. How lucky Bjoern to have Astrid as his Mom, absolutely when he’s found out the hidden message ;)

I really love the Dance party screenshot! Y’know, the one that featured Elijah and his thought about Mom-monster and there’s such a beautiful message as well.

That’s a beautiful way to celebrate Christmas. My families also are a huge melting pot and we have different belief and cultures as well. Most of them are scattered over worldwide. So, when it comes to holiday there’s variety to celebrate. Oh, how I wished that I had my Gran and Great-Uncle blue eyes :P

There’s a beauty in diversity XD

I am enjoying this story so much. Looking forward for more~

Thanks again for your lovely comment, Ari. :)

My game seems to roll mostly decent names. As a fan of S.V.U., I am also quite fond of the name Elliott.

I think Astrid is very wise beyond her years, and yes, Bjoern certainly is lucky to have her. :)

Ah, the dance party. That was one of those sims moments that just sort of happened. All the boys had been out on the deck, but it was getting dark so all I did was click on the ground inside and select "go here together." They all did the rest themselves.

See, I wish my family were that diverse, but both of my parents came from strict, upright Christian homes that only married other Christians - It just so chanced that my mother wouldn't be coming to Australia at all this Christmas, but my brother would arrive on the 31st so we were going to have our me-and-dad-and-sister-and-brother Christmas on New Year's Day (those plans have since changed too :P), but in the meantime, on the actual 25th of December, it would've been just me and Dad and our partners as my sister volunteered to work (in the airport), so we gate crashed a family friend's free-for-all Christmas Celebrations. As I said, it was truly beautiful.

Elijah and Bjoern make the coolest wee mates. It's lovely to see their friendship grow as a story line. Also handy for completing aspirations!  :)

I really love their friendship. I've found mods that stop sims from randomly walking by your house and knocking on the door and I can't help but think "Whyyyy? Do you not want your sims to have friends? Such cruel, cruel watchers!" I love walkbys, and I especially love that once you have a bit of a relationship with someone, they will occasionally drop in to check up on you. Elijah checks up on Bjoern daily.

I even went to the trouble of moving Elijah's household into a house so they (hopefully) won't get culled. I don't think I could bear to lose him at this point.

Also, Chapter 6 incoming!
The Morven Dynasty
Blogger ||| Simblr

Soroja14 on Origin