Author Topic: To Prevent a War- A One to Rule Them All Challenge Behind-the-scenes 9/4/18  (Read 77810 times)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Introduction

This is a Challenge I created on my own, though you will see that it resembles this forums RDC somewhat.  That is intentional since that was a big inspiration for this. One to Rule Them All (Ruleset here on Carls) is meant to decide which of three noble families will take over from the current monarch and become the next king or queen of Newcrest.

NewcrestMap-1.jpg

This is a prologue of sorts to a much bigger challenge called the Royal Kingdom Challenge originally created by Enbliththefair for TS2.

Note:  This used to be called Lasting Legacies- a Modified RKC challenge, but I have since decided to keep the two separate.  Once the OtRTA is concluded, the RKC will get its own topic.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:29:40 PM »
Important Links:

Lasting Legacies Spreadsheet
Updated 9/1/18 with Campbell family stats

Story Chapter Links
Updated with latest chapter on 9/3/18

Our Three Contenders:

The Doran family:

The Rosa family:

The Campbell family:

To see more about not just the three families, but about the families you see in the story and the rest of the world, visit Lasting Legacies blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:30:38 PM »
reserved, just in case

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
Prologue
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:06:46 AM »
Prologue

The scratching of the pen across the page was the only sound in the room for a moment.  Then there was a soft exhalation of breath.  King Darian sat back in his chair, looking up at the framed portrait up above him.  "My Amelia," he murmured softly. 

Prologue 1.jpg

He shook his head.  "I miss you, so much.  It's- almost time, my heart."

The King sighed once more and bent over his journal.

Prologue 2.jpg

The years are heavy.  My bones ache.  I can feel my time approaching.  But I cannot rest yet.  I cannot join Amelia until I am sure that the kingdom, the home we both loved so much, is in good hands.  I'm sure she's going to give me a piece of her mind when she sees me.  I knew after my brother Marcus died, knew that when I became the heir to the throne, I would be expected to produce an heir.  But I couldn't.  I couldn't bring myself to take a bride after I lost Amelia.  I have no heir.  By my choice.  But now the kingdom is in a quandary.  Our neighbors in Windenburg are only now just picking up the pieces after a war over the succession tore them asunder.  I do not want that for Newcrest.

He stopped for a moment, looking at what he had written as he rubbed a hand over his chin.  Then he bent back down to continue writing.

Prologue 3.jpg

I still cannot bring myself to take a young bride, to give the kingdom an heir.  But I have an idea.  One that should satisfy.  I have chosen three families.  They have been loyal to my family for years.  And each of them has I believe, what it takes to be the ruler that Newcrest needs.

Prologue 4.jpg

The Dorans are a line of warriors.  Though our kingdom has known peace, there are always those that are willing and able to serve.  None more so than Blakely.  He is the last of his line, at least until he takes his own bride.  He is brave and the trappings of nobility don't suite him, though he knows what he needs to in that regard.  I believe his down-to-earth attitude and ability to empathize with others will be a tremendous asset.

Prologue 5.jpg

The Rosas... Young Adrian has potentional.  He is a bright young man and has his family's flair and charisma.  Whether he has the drive, the desire to be King remains to be seen.  Of course, I believe he may have help in that area.

Prologue 6.jpg

Lady Ferina. She should have been Queen.  She had been betrothed to Marcus.  But after his death, and my ascension to the throne, her chance was lost.  Even after losing Amelia, she offered to become my wife to ensure the Bulwark line would continue.  Oh, she wasn't so overt.  But the offer had been there.  I imagine the poor lad will participate, whether he initially wishes to or not.  I would almost feel guilty, but I cannot afford that.  Besides, I do believe he would make a good King, given the chance.

Prologue 7.jpg

The Campbells have been a great asset to our kingdom and to me personally.  Young Beatrice's father was a hard man to like, but I couldn't fault his research or his results.  The daughter is brilliant.  And if I am not mistaken, I see a woman who is passionate about what she believes in.  She thinks through problems carefully and doesn't look before she leaps.  That is essential for a ruler.  I believe that underlying passion will give her all she needs to rule.

King Darian allowed himself a small smile.  He wasn't entirely sure that any of his candidates wanted the throne, but he was sure that they would do their duty.  He was counting on it.

Prologue 8.jpg

Perhaps I'm crazy for attempting this.  It could be said I shirked my duty by refusing to take another bride.  Perhaps.  But I had a duty as well, to my wife's memory.  The Bulwark line ends with me, but my Kingdom will be provided for.  I will make sure of that.  I can hold out that long.

Prologue 9.jpg

He looked up at his wife's portrait again.  "Soon, my heart.  Soon.  We'll be reunited."  He raised a hand toward the portrait, grimacing as his old bones creaked and ached.  He had learned patience during his reign, but it seemed to have all gone out the window.

Prologue 10.jpg

He was putting his kingdom in the hands of three people.  He hoped his sense of people hadn't gone the way of his old bones...  Only time would tell, however.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:09:32 AM »
Just wanted to say that I'm so excited to see that you will be starting this story soon!
Will you be sharing your One to Rule Them All challenge story too? :D

@oshizu

Hehe, yup.  In fact, it will be leading up to the rest of the challenge.  So I'll be starting with One to Rule Them All.  Once the new Monarch is crowned, then the rest of the challenge begins.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Lasting Legacies- a modified RKC New 3/22/18
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »
Since you quoted me above, I deleted my initial post. I didn't mean it to come between your set up and your prologue!
Sorry (for being overly excited)! *grins sheepishly

Aaaaand, I love the way you are leading into your main challenge with your ageing, heartbroken king writing in his journal.
I can catch little glimpses of your builds behind each candidate....
*sits on hands and waits patiently, kinda

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
What a wonderful start! I'm loving the set-up with the three candidates competing for the throne. It's sure to be a fierce battle! They all look very much up to the challenge.
The King is such a tragic, romantic figure. I love him already!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »
Ah fabulous as always. Can't wait to see how all of this unfolds.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 02:27:08 AM »
Since you quoted me above, I deleted my initial post. I didn't mean it to come between your set up and your prologue!
Sorry (for being overly excited)! *grins sheepishly

Aaaaand, I love the way you are leading into your main challenge with your ageing, heartbroken king writing in his journal.
I can catch little glimpses of your builds behind each candidate....
*sits on hands and waits patiently, kinda

@oshizu

hehehe, I will be posting up some photos of the first build soon.  Was hoping to have an update tonight, but haven't finished my first week with Blakely yet.  Ended up going up to visit my sister and the family, so things have been a bit hectic the last few days.  But I do have most of an update done.  Hopefully, by tomorrow night I'll have it up.

What a wonderful start! I'm loving the set-up with the three candidates competing for the throne. It's sure to be a fierce battle! They all look very much up to the challenge.
The King is such a tragic, romantic figure. I love him already!

@FrancescaFiori

Thank you!  I think it will be.  Each of them is very different, but I'm already having tons of fun!  And the King, oh my the King.  Originally only meant as a kind of figurehead, he's becoming much more than that as I write him, so I'm really glad you like him ^^

Ah fabulous as always. Can't wait to see how all of this unfolds.  :)

@Playalot

Thanks so much!  Good to be writing again.

Ok, as I said to Oshizu, I have a good chunk of an update written, but need to finish out Blakely's first week and get some more screenshots, then I will be able to post it.  But probably not until after work tomorrow.  Thanks for reading!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 02:43:25 AM »
We are waiting impatiently.... :D

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:03:22 AM »
We are waiting impatiently.... :D
Yes, yes we are! But rl comes first so we understand.  :)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
1.1 King Material?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »
@Playalot and @oshizu

Your impatience is rewarded!  I had some time at work so I could get an update up ^^

1.1: King Material?

The birds sang, the sun was bright overhead.  The pounding of rubber soles against the pavement, the gentle click of nails against the same.  There was something about the rhythm and cadence of a good run that put Blakely into a good mood.  He grinned and looked back at his faithful companion.

"What ya think, Maxim?  Keep going?"

The big dog gave a rough woof in answer.  Blakely laughed.  "That's what I thought, too!"

1.1 #1.jpg

After a while, though, master and dog knew they had to go back home.

"C'mon, boy.  Should get back."  There was a hint of regret to his tone.  There were days it was far easier to just keep running than it was to do the things he was supposed to.  He knew there was little point in wishing it were otherwise.  He had been born to the Dorans, a noble family with a storied and prestigious history.  While he was proud of that history, he didn't feel as if he belonged.  At least, not when it came to certain aspects.

He was still thinking of the letter he had received the day before.  It wasn't everyday that one received a letter from the King, after all.  The King's proposal had come as a shock.  Oh, he had known the King had no intention of finding a new bride.  It had been obvious from the look in his eyes every time Blakely had seen or spoken to him.  Still, this was unprecedented.  But it did make a certain amount of sense.  Still, the fact that King Darian wanted him to partake in this was hard to contemplate.

1.1 #2.jpg

As he headed up the steps with Maxim, the dog let out a another woof.  "Yeah, yeah.  No comments from you," Blakely chided with a grin.

Maxim cocked his head to the side.  Blakely swore he was laughing at him.  He often thought Maxim was smarter than most humans, including himself. Definitely more sensible, at any rate.

The two headed inside.  "Stay."  Maxim sat down obediently while Blakely headed upstairs to change.

1.1 #3.jpg

Blakely had just finished donning his everyday clothes when there was a knock at the door of his quarters.  "Come in."

The door opened a crack.  "Lord Blakely?  You have a visitor."

Blakely frowned.  "Meredith?"  She rarely called him 'Lord'.  It was one of those things he hated.  The woman had been with their family for years and had raised him after his parents died.  For her to refer to him as Lord now was a subtle hint.  That and her tone.

The door shut again. Pondering who it could be, Blakely opened the door and strode out.  He made it downstairs and when he looked across, he noticed that the door was open and Meredith was bowing low.  When he saw who stood in the doorway, his eyes widened.  He quickened his step.

"Your Highness!"

1.1 #4.jpg

King Darian smiled at Blakely and inclined his head.  "I apologize for the intrusion."

Blakely shook his head.  "No, not at all.  I should be apologizing to you.  I got your letter yesterday.  I had planned on sending back a reply that I would come to you.  I regret that you made the trip."

"Nonsense.  I am the one that will be imposing upon you.  It was only right I come.  That and I have always enjoyed your beautiful home."

He heard a quiet clearing of the throat from Meredith near the door.

1.1 #5.jpg

Remembering his manners, Blakely stood away from the door.  "Please, come in.  We can talk in the parlor."  He led the King to the most comfortable area of the house and bid him to sit.

King Darian took a look around the room for a moment before taking the indicated seat.

1.1 #6.jpg

"I remember coming here, to visit with your mother and father," he murmured quietly, a faraway look in his eye.  "I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come for a proper visit and even sorrier that it took something of this nature to precipitate it."

Blakely shook his head.  "Your Highness-"

King Darian held up a hand.  "Please, I would prefer you not stand on such formality in your own home.  Darian will do just fine."

At Blakely's hestitation, Darian chuckled.  "If you feel that uncomfortable using my given name, sir will do."

Blakely's sigh of relief brought out another chuckle.  "Old habits, sir."  Blakely waited for the King to sit and then sat in the chair adjacent to him.

1.1 #7.jpg

"I won't waste either of our time," the King began.  "Blakely, I've followed you closely for a number of years.  I know you excelled at your training.  All of the knights speak highly of you.  I also know that, despite your disdain for Court, you also excelled at your other studies."

Blakely winced.  "It's not a- disdain, sir, so much as an- annoyance."

King Darian grinned.  "Oh aye, I'm aware.  I know it all seems rather silly. Some of it is tradition, some of it is just pomp and ceremony.  I tend to agree with your opinion of it, but tradition has it's place."  The grin faded.  "Especially since I am about to throw some of the most important traditions out the window."  He bowed his head, his eyes closed as he pulled in a breath.  "After I lost my wife, by all rights, I should have wed another."  He picked up his head and looked at Blakely, his gaze intense.  "I didn't.  I couldn't.  I put being a man over being a King.  I do not want this Kingdom, my people, to pay for that.  I will not see this land plunged into a civil war, as Windenburg was.  So I am asking more of you than I have the right to-"

"Sir, forgive my interruption-"  The look in Blakely's eyes didn't ask for forgivness, "-but I don't think that is accurate.  You have the right to ask whatever of me that you wish.  My father swore his loyalty to you.  My grandfather swore his loyalty to your father.  So on, back to the first Bulwark.  I swore my loyalty to you as soon as my training was completed."  He paused long enough to pull in a deep breath.  "I will do my best, sir.  I care about this kingdom, too.  If it means I may become King- so be it."

There was a pregnant pause for a moment as the two men's gaze met and held.  King Darian threw back his head and roared with laughter.  Blakely sat there, startled as the King struggled to control his mirth.

1.1 #8.jpg

Still getting the laughter under control, King Darian wiped a few tears from his eyes.  "How refreshing," he managed.  He inhaled a breath, the last of the mirth dying away.  "Thank you.  Sorry to startle you.  But it's the first time in a long time that someone has been honest with me.  While I have observed you, there is a part of me that wondered what kind of ruler you might make.  I think I know now."

He stood up.  When Blakely would have risen, he waved him down.  "No, no.  Please, don't get up.  I'll see myself out."  Blakely sat there awkwardly for a moment, both his knightly training and his courtly training screaming at him.  The King shook his head.  "I'm sure we'll see each other again, lad.  Go on.  Relax for a little while."  He stopped and winked at the younger man.  "You'll be quite busy for the foreseeable future."

Blakely did as he was ordered (it was the only way he could think about it without wincing) and remained seated.  The King wandered out.  On the way, stopped and looked down at Maxim.  He let the dog sniff his hand, then gave the animal a quick pat.  "Good boy," Darian murmured.  "Look after your master."  Then the King was gone.

Blakely sat there a moment longer, then he got up and wandered over to the mantle.  The mirror that hung above the fireplace greeted him with his own image.  He stared at it for a long moment, wearing a grin he wasn't sure he felt at that moment.  Grinning was better than the alternative.  Meredith would have his head if he did any form of damage.

1.1 #9.jpg

After a moment, he strode down the couple of steps, across the great room, then up the stairs toward the kitchen.  Maxim stood up as well from his place and followed after his master.  Blakely put food in Maxim's bowl.

1.1 #10.jpg

Needing to clear his head, Blakely changed once again.  Then he headed to the basement, where he had equipment set up.  Though he would have preferred to forego the gloves, he didn't want Meredith to worry about his knuckles.  So he put them on.  Then he began to pummel the dummy in front of him.

1.1 #11.jpg

As the rhythm of the movement and the sound of his gloves thudding against the canvas of the bag echoed around him, Blakely lost himself.  He felt the tension drain out, be replaced by the pleasing burn of physical exertion.  Only once he had worked up quite a sweat did he stop.  He got up to the bathroom to wash up.  He smiled.  Meredith had left a towel out for him and had even filled up the tub.  He normally bathed in the bathroom off of his quarters, but he figured this was her way of saying he needed a bath now.

Not one to annoy Meredith, Blakely slid into the warm water with a grunt.  It felt good, the water.  He lay there for a moment, letting it soak into his muscles.  It wasn't the burn from the exercise that had made him exhausted.

1.1 #12.jpg

There was a lot to think about.  He'd told the King the truth.  He cared about the Kingdom, but being King hadn't been part of the plan.  Granted, there were two others that were involved.  So there was still a chance that he wouldn't be King.  Still, he had promised the King he would try.  He couldn't give less than his best.  If he became King, so be it.

Technology was a marvel that Blakely couldn't get over.  It wasn't exactly his forte, by any means, but he had learned enough to handle the tasks he had to complete on the force.  He placed his sample in the tube, eyeing the amount of solution he had just added.

1.1 #13.jpg

Though he had served his alloted time on the force when he had gone through his training, Blakely had remained.  He thought it an honor to protect and serve.  Though it was a force comprised of those from some of the other kingdoms, the other noble families tended to only participate in the minimum requirements.  Blakely had chosen to remain, to see how far he could go. He knew many of the others thought him crazy.  That was ok, by him.  Work was just the distraction he needed for the time being.

That and Maxim.  It was nice to come home, find the big dog waiting there for him.  He'd often greet his master with a hug.

1.1 #14.jpg

Then Maxim would get a treat and a good brushing.

1.1 #15.jpg

He was a good guard dog... most of the time.

1.1 #16.jpg

Truth be told, without Maxim and Meredith, Blakely was sure he would have gone stark raving mad by that point.  Between the force and this competition, the stress was high.  After a particularly trying day, when not even pounding on the bag for hours did anything to alleviate the raging flood of anxiety, Blakely was growling under his breath.

Meredith stopped him.  "I know I didn't just hear that word come out of your mouth."

1.1 #17.jpg

He had to bite his tongue.  The venom was far too close to the surface for his liking.  Meredith didn't deserve him taking his temper out on her.  When he didn't say anything, Meredith pointed to the chair.  "Sit."

Ill-tempered, he sat, wanting to get the lecture over with.  It wasn't as if he didn't know what she was going to tell him already.  He had heard it all already.  He knew he wasn't a very good aristocrat.  Never had been.  He doubted he ever would be.

"Blakely, my boy."  Her gentle tone surprised him.  "Don't let this tear you down."

1.1 #18.jpg

She reached a hand back to him and placed it on his shoulder.  "Your parents would be so proud of you.  I'm so proud of you."

He had to swallow past the lump in his throat.  "I-I know I'm not the aristocrat you want me to be."

She waved that off.  "That's not true.  The fact of the matter is, you are more noble than anyone I know.  Perhaps you could adhere to tradition more."  She smiled softly at him.  "But I wouldn't change you one little bit."  She stood up and held her arms out.

The two hugged tightly.  "You're the only family I have," he murmured to her.  "I-I want to do you and my parents proud."

1.1 #19.jpg

That night, Blakely went to sleep with a much lighter heart.  No matter what happened, he would do his duty.  Whether he became King or not, that was something he could promise absolutely.

1.1 #20.jpg

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »
Fabulous, detailed, descriptive, captivating and simply wonderful. You know I'm going to say it; more please. I can see your characters are going to be lovable, complex and a joy to read about. I hope you're not going to make us have to choose between them!  ;)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »
Aww, good dutiful Blakely! But is loyalty enough? I think we'll find out soon.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

anything