Author Topic: Re: With a Twist-McCloud Kids Gotta Skill, Dec. 16  (Read 133903 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Re: With a Twist-Aging but Not Too Old Aug. 11
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »
@Joria

First off, nooooooo! Don, you do not get to run yourself into the ground! Sheesh--that really scared me!
I cracked up to see your little porch crew! Every home needs an overly-curious gnome who sticks his nose into the entire family's business, lol.

How touching that the happy couple would complete the Soulmate aspiration just when Dina is feeling the most down about herself.
I laughed to notice the gnome again, peeping at them as they prepared to enter the bush.

This is such a sobering update after all the fun and games of the previous update. Time waits for no sim....

P.S. About the SimRay, I've had really terrible luck with fires whenever using a SimRay. But when I get my hands on some extra dead alien collectibles, I'll test it.
On Carl's guide, I did read that alien sims have a special ability to resurrect dead alien collectibles. My collecting is not going well. :(

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
Re: With a Twist-Aging but Not Too Old Aug. 11
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2016, 02:11:38 AM »
Gosh, Don! Really playing with fire there! Cool it, buddy!

Kieran cheering up Dina with the vow renewal was very sweet. His whole party planning venture was adorable, too. What a great couple they make!
Your porch crew is shaping up nicely! That made me smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: With a Twist-Aging but Not Too Old Aug. 11
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »
@FrancescaFiori :  Don about gave me a heart attack!  Of course his creeping down the stairs with that look on his face led me to having him do a jog, especially since he had a whim for it.  I never realized even jogging could be too much for an elder, especially for one as buff as Don.  He barely made it home before it was too late.  As for the romantic scenes with Kieran and Dina, I was checking what aspirations etc. they had completed and shocker, they hadn't finished Soul Mate!!  Of course I had started that and used it right at the start to get Connections but had not finished the last bit of requirements.  This was a not to be missed opportunity and it fit right in with what else was going on.

@oshizu :  So what's up with the collecting?  Is it specific things you are missing?  So far I've gotten 3 each of live and dead alien creatures from using the ray gun, plus quill fruit, ufo fruit and my much needed pomegranate.  It took a LOT of using the ray gun and yes, several fires.  I always do the ray gun thing outside, and I have learned to space the things I'm going to transform quite far apart, with at least one square of space between.  This helps keep the size of the fire down.  What is annoying is how long it takes them to start to put the fire out with the ray gun.  Also, I never spam the ray gun action, and I rarely transform the same item twice in a row.  I'll wait if I need to transform it more than once.  This also seems to help keep the amount of fires down.  It makes it a bit slower in the short term but better results so worth it to take my time.  I also never have some one do a transform and then move over to another Sim.  Almost guaranteed the transformer will have a fire.

The porch crew was really a nod to your porch crew.  They won't be a feature of my story, except for the little bit they already had.  I thought I had acquired Gnorman via transforming, but he led me to believe he is Gned's silent, twin brother, and was actually whisked over to my house via something a Watchett did.  His ghostly cousin resides in my inventory, waiting for an appropriate party to make his appearance.  I think Gnorman was just a bit jealous of Gned having had such an important part and wanted a taste of the limelight.  Postett, (mail box), is a bit nervous being there with the two guys, Gnorman and Trevalyn, so I doubt she'll have much to say either.

Thanks for posting you two.  I do believe I would give up this writing without your encouragement.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: With a Twist-Venkat's Daughter, Aug. 13
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
Whether she will have any impact on the story remains to be seen.  However, his brief foray into romance did gain Venkat one special little person, and I believe she needs to be recognized.  He was only truly successful once in all the many times he tried for romance.  I guess he just wasn't a very likeable fellow, or all that attractive to the females he chose.  After all, Don was around and so many really fine others.  The competition was tough for a slightly chubby, slightly pear shaped individual.  Still and all, he found his way into the heart and boudoir of the ever lonely Maalke, and together they created a very charming, adorable little girl.  This is for her.

***************************************************************************************************

Dina raced across the play ground as fast as her elderly legs could carry her.  She had done it!  Promotion time!  Only two levels to go and that fine bar would be theirs.  No more having to mix drinks here at the park and at the gym.  She knew Kieran would be as excited about it as she was.

Quickly changing her clothes, Dina entered the clubhouse and sat down.  It seemed a party was in full bloom.  Kieran was busy cooking up a storm for his daily requirements and had decided to treat everyone at the park to cakes.  No one minded in the least!  Meanwhile, outside at the edge of the park................

Venkat:  Hi there, sweetie.  I guess you don't know who I am, do you?

Girl:  No, I don't and I'm not supposed to talk to strangers!

Venkat:  Well, honey, I apologize for being a stranger.  Actually, I'm your father.  I met your mother, fell in love and you were the result.  We couldn't be together because of the rules of the dynasty I'm in or you definitely would have gotten to know me, and I would happily have gotten to know you, Everly.

Everly:  My Dad?  Really?  So are you one of those dead beat dad's?

Ven:  Not by choice, honey.  Not by choice.

Everly:  Oh yeah?  Well where have you been then?  No calls.  No text.  No stories.  No help with homework.  Seems pretty dead beat to me!  Why should I care and what are you going to do about it?

Ven:  Well, I don't really know what I CAN do about it.  Do you know what a dynasty is?  It's about some Sims who get to be "Watched"  by someone often known as the "Watcher".  These Sims get to have a really, really big family and some of them, get to live forever while others of them don't.  They usually ask some people to come live with them to be helpers.  At the time, I didn't have a good place to live, I liked the people, and when they asked me to be a helper I agreed.  Only the rules said I couldn't bring anyone else in.  They have to do it and they have to be careful how many people live in their house.  So I couldn't bring your Mom and you home with me.  Being a helper means I have to go where they say and do what they say, like a really big job, and in return I get all my needs taken care of and I get treated just like I was part of their family.  Now maybe, some day if they get to know you, you'll become part of their group too.  Maybe a club member, or a good friend or maybe even marry someone in the family if you want to.  Meanwhile though, how about you and I get to know one another?  Star gaze maybe?

Everly:  Ok.  Star gaze.  But it seems pretty lame to me.

Everly: (So that's my Daddy.  He's not so bad after all.  Maybe we could get to be friends.  I always wondered who I looked like.  Now I know.)

Ven: (She's so adorable.  Watcher, if you are listening, this was not fair.  She's so precious and I've missed so much.  I wonder if we could get to be friends?  She really looks like me too.  Cutest little girl ever.)

Later that same evening............................

Everly:  I got a Daddy!  I got a Daddy!  No monsters gonna get me now!  I got a Daddy.

Let's hope these two get to spend more time together and get to be friends after all.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline laurenannie

• Llama Wrangler
Re: With a Twist-Venkat's Daughter, Aug. 13
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
Awww...I'm not saying little Everly's "I got a daddy!" made me tear up just a little....but I'm not saying it didn't....I'm just not commenting on the situation...

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Re: With a Twist-Venkat's Daughter, Aug. 13
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »
What a touching chapter!
But first of all, wild applause to Dina for reaching the top of the Mixology career!
No more mixing drinks outside the home for your dynasty household! *throws confetii

When you showed us a close-up, Everly's eyeybrows and mouth so resemble her father's!
I also got a lump in my throat as Everly came to understand that she's loved, not abandoned. *sniffle sniffle

A toast to pear-shaped men!

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: With a Twist-Don's Day Aug.14
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
@laurenannie :  Thank you for commenting.  (Surreptitiously passes over tissues)

@oshizu:  I just love little Everly.  These are the only shots I've ever had of her with or without her Daddy.  I hope I get to see her more and am able to work her into the story.  She is such an expressive Sim and just really grabbed my heart.

There will probably be a few, random, short updates where there are pictures or things going on that don't have quite enough for a regular update.  My Sims are all aging up and it's getting to be that nervous, tense, when do they get a message from Grim stage.  I hate it when my Sims have to die.  If it wasn't that this was a dynasty I'd play on a long life and then feed them potions of youth forever!  Meanwhile......................................

*********************************************************************************************

The crowd grows quiet.  Slowly and carefully, the competitor climbs the steps to the top of the platform.  He shakes himself.  Towels off wiping beads of water from his face.  Shakes his hands and seems to be loosening up his muscles, psyching himself up.  He steps on the board, glances down.  He's going for gold.  The question is, will he make it or will this be his final chance to stand on the podium with honors? 

Yes, Bob, that water looks very far down now doesn't it?  Cold too.  Only time will tell if he can make it or not.  The crowd is hushed as he makes his approach.  Wait.  Isn't he facing the wrong way?

There he goes!  I tell you, I've never seen such form!

Perfect form in the air!  Will he make it?  Only a big splash can mar this dive and take away his chances for the gold!  The crowd is on their feet!  He ..........oops.

Speaking of personal best.  Our hero, Venkat, has finally gotten his wish.  Off he goes to his first day of away from home work as a Journalist.  His days are numbered now since he's received at least one notice from Grim.  It was no hardship to grant him his wish of finally being gainfully employed.  Gnorman strove to keep up but alas, he was just a plaster gnome.

As a Watcher, I'm always interested in the "adorable" shots of the children with their parents.  Here's Don getting to know his only, (at the time), daughter, Eden Lee.

Eden:  Sure is a cool bedroom.

Don:  Yep.  Sure is.

Eden:  So, you are?.......

Don:  Your Dad.

Eden:  Oh yeah.  Right.  Yep.  Cool room.  Wish I had one.

Don:  Wish I could give you one.

Eden:  No chance of the Watcher...................?

Don:  Sorry.  Rules.

Don:  I can't give you a room little Princess, but I can give you all the love a Daddy has for his precious, little girl.

Eden:  Ahhh, Dad.  Love you.

Don:  Love you more.

Meanwhile, another precious little girl has the munchies and look at what she finds.....................

Dina:  (whistling)  I wouldn't go there if I were you.

Airynn:  But she is soooo cute!  What a lovely cake you made, Moovelous.  Is that for me?  Are you sure?

Airynn:  Ok, then.  Just a little bite.

Airynn:  Moovelous, that was very naughty!  Oh well, at least you served up some cool milk to go with it after.  Really, we have to do something about your drooling.  I'm not hurting you am I?  There.  Almost done.

************************************************************************************************

Rez:  Hey, Dad!  How's it goin?

Don:  Hi there, Rez.  All's good, all's good.  So wassup?

Rez: Not much.  Just wonderin' how things are.  You ok here?  You like bein' a Watched Sim?

Don:  Well son, I have really had a good life here.

Rez:  But Dad, seems like you're always workin' at somethin'.  No fun in your life.

Don:  Oh, I have had LOTS of fun.  (smirks)

Rez:  Well, every time I look around you're stuck out here with that fancy ray gun.  What's up with that?

Don:  It's a gift Alton left me.  He was before your time I think.  Anyway, you know we're doing this challenge thing, right?  It's called a dynasty except our Watcher decided it might be fun to add the restrictions of not being able to buy most things a Sim would need to fill a big, fancy house.  So Alton got watched into the Science career where he made this gun and I've been selected to use it on the stuff we gather or "find" or whatever.  It turns junk into treasures.  Hey, I have a few minutes now though. 

Venkat:  Good job, Don.  Looks like we got a lot of stuff this time around.

Don:  Yeah, I'm almost done.  Getting really tired of it though.  There was quite a stack.

Rez:  You work too hard Dad.  You should take a nap.

Don:  Sorry son, I don't have the Lazy trait.

Rez:  Geez, Uncle Kieran.  Dad has been at it for hours.  Don't you think he's had enough?

Kieran:  It's not me.  I think he's a tad OCD.  Looks like he's almost done though.

And here are the keepers from today's transforming.

Don's day wasn't quite over, however.  He had recently acquired the Mentor reward and, taking his place in the dynasty very seriously, he worked hard with Aislyn the heir.  Bringing her skill in Painting up to level 10 was no hard chore at all.

Don:  So what are you trying to say here?  It's not like a classic work where you have an actual picture to convey your feelings and thoughts.

Aislyn:  Hmmm.  Well, I really hadn't thought about it much, Uncle Don.

Don:  I see.  Well that is what would turn just another painting into a work of art.  It should say something to the viewer.   

Aislyn:  Ok.  Well, I want it give a sense of serenity.  Just peaceful and relaxing.  You know?

Don:  Got it.  Good choice of palette for that.

Don:  There!  That's it.  I see where you are going with it now.  Just watch your brush strokes on this one.  Not too flamboyant.

Aislyn:  Thanks, Uncle Don!

Don wasn't the only one having a successful day.  Kieran had come home bursting with news.  Here we see our little family enjoying the fruits of his labor.

YES!!!  Career maxed!!  We're almost there.

----------
My No Buy Story

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Re: With a Twist-Don's Day Aug.14
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »
Don's in such great shape, even as an elder!  *wolf whistles
Most people would love to just putter around at home as they age, but not Venkat! He wants to go work at an office, lol.
I love that your gnome is named Gnorman!

Awww, Eden Lee is so adorable! I'd save her to My Library in a flash!
And Airynn is so cute! I love her facial expression in your first shot of her and Moovelous.

Oh my gosh, you are the Transformation Empress!!! I love how you showed us what objects you started with and finally the day's "keepers." So impressive!
Here's a question I had: If you acquire some new item through transformation, are then allowed to "Copy" it in Buy/Build mode? Or can you only get another one by transformation?

Congratulations to Kieran on maxing the Chef career! The kitchen looks amazing!
You said "We're almost there." What do you mean by "there"?  Do you mean that Kieran's close to completing all the ambrosia requirements?

I see that all your sims except the girls and Rez have silver hair now. I so agree with you about never wanting your sims to die (says the simmer who's recently been killing off sims left and right for legacy points...)
I loved this update! When I look carefully at how nice your home is, I'm ashamed at how lazy I'm being about building despite my unlimited access to Buy mode.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2016, 08:41:59 PM »
Venkat received his second notice and I felt bad because he kept throwing up whims to get a job.  So I got him one in the writer career and first day he was promoted.  Made me wish I'd done it sooner!

I have been very lax in saving my Sims to library!  I just forget to do it and not really sure how anymore without breaking the rules.  I guess by going into CAS?  She would have to be a member of the family though, wouldn't she?

You absolutely can copy them again in Build Mode!  Some items can be cloned as well, but not all.  Some I just have to get rid of.  For instance, I kept getting packets of Glowfruit Seeds which I did not need or want.  They cannot be re-transformed either, so they were not an item I kept.  Had I needed cash I would have cloned them and sold tons as they are worth $100 a packet if I remember correctly.  I really loved the fact that I got another toilet!  They are usually the highest levels and unbreakable so good to have.  The little stone stack is going to be enlarged and become the central focus of my Zen garden for meditating.  I really like doing the transforming because it's always a surprise.

Yes!  Kieran only has to age up, (he's close), and have his six good friends and one BFF.  The BFF will be his heir since one of her requirements is she has to be at least good friends with the founder.

Unfortunately I can't really keep my focus straight.  There are so many different things I want them ALL to do and to do well.  I have to keep checking to make sure I haven't ruined it for a further down the line heir.  Mentally, it's kind of like being a kid in a candy shop.  I want it all.  (ADD much?)

I've only recently been working on the house.  Before this it's been pretty bare as most things that were transformed were not keepers or I was concerned about how much cash was available as opposed to what the bills would be.  Now Kieran's klepto skill is coming into play, (he's level 8 mischief by his autonomous actions), so we're getting some nice, matching pieces from various people's houses.  I'm planning on getting better pc's and then transforming the current ones, so that will be fun.  I'll have a house walk through soon.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
Hahaha, I love that Kieran's Kleptomaniac skill is being employed to gain matching pieces of furniture, rather than high-ticket items. Priorities, priorities!
Your No-Buy Mode rule really changes gameplay strategy.

Can't wait for the house tour!

For a legal way to save sims to your library, you could save a copy of your IDC file.
Then, open your copy and go into Household Management then click the household, enter CAS, then save to library...
I'm not saying you really have to save Eden Lee, hehe. But sometimes when I get a really nice-looking household sim or interesting NPC, I like saving them to My Library.

Best of luck to Kieran!  He is so very close now!

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2016, 10:12:45 PM »
Wow!  What a great story!  I just found this today and read through all 5 pages.

I really like the added challenge of the 'No Buy' rule, I might have to try that sometime. 

Kieran and Dina are such a loving couple. 

I love how the girls call your helper sims 'Uncle'. 

I don't have much experience with the Sim Ray or pollinators or kleptos.  I might have to try them soon. 

I can't wait for the house tour.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
What a beautiful complete kitchen! Congratulations!

The transformation gets tedious, I'm sure, but I do like the element of surprise, and your eclectic mix of results. It looks like a sim yard sale! Don is such a dedicated helper and mentor, and I agree with oshizu, he's still a real looker!

I loved the Everly and Venkat chapter. So sweet, and Everly is a total cutie!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »
@Joria
I hope you don't mind my asking you about your bakery on your IDC story thread.
Just now, I re-read your whole story very quickly to see if you'd opened a retail store and notice you had not.
Do you not enjoy running a shop that much unless it's a challenge requirement (like for Rival Dynasties)? Although I got the impression that you loved running that bakery with the Landgraabs.
I've had multiple sims max Cooking/Gourmet Cooking and one max Baking in my legacy---I have SO much food stored in family inventory, so I thought I'd run a store whenever everyone wasn't working (which is very rarely). I do remember that you had a beautiful bakery!

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »
@oshizu :  Kieran now only needs to age up to elder.  He has completed all his requirements but it looks like he has about two Sim days before he ages up.  Dina's bar is close to the end so I'm just worried every time I go in to play, and Don's bar is bubbling!! (sob)  The Klepto skill garnered us a piano, (from the Goth's), which Dina has been playing, just to keep her busy, and hopefully she'll live long enough to mentor one of her daughters or one of the new helpers.  That's all I'm about to say about them so don't ask.   ;)  The only problem with the Klepto skill is, if you don't watch them carefully, they'll swipe something you don't need or want and then not be able to steal what you came for!  Kieran did that to me last night.  Swiped a worthless piece of art instead of the tv he came for.  Plus, you really can't take a thief anywhere!  They are always on the look out for ridiculous things to steal.  Having done the thief challenge really helped me know where to go for my thieving!

As for retail store I will pm you about it.

@FrancescaFiori :  Thank you.  I was so often tempted to cheat and put in a stove, frig, etc., especially since they all kept throwing whims to buy things!  So all the counters and everything in the kitchen/dining area was strictly from either using Connections, job related rewards, buying from the kiosk, or transforming.  Definitely a challenge since I had both a chef and a mixologist to deal with!

My thoughts about it looking like a yard sale exactly!!  He had so many different items, with nothing matching very much, and then a lot of people wandering around just made it.  We did wind up with some nifty items to keep though!  I really do like the whole transforming thing.  Get a piece of junk, (like a fossil), transform it and BAM!, something you love.  Of course, it could also be something worse!

Everly just stole my heart.  So serious yet so sweet.  Last night I found a way to keep her involved, but 'nuff said about that.

@Caterina :  Thank you!  I really appreciate it when folks post as I'm sure you do too.  I'm not as strict with the No Buy as I should be but that's because it's a dynasty and I'm impatient.  I've allowed myself a lot of leeway by allowing children's items and am so tempted to allow more.  Like, where will I get a rocket ship or my own work bench or a telescope?  The truth is, it's a lot of fun figuring out how you can either find, transform or steal items and how to use items not meant for the purpose you use them for, like pool lights, to get the look and use you want.  Do try it it is so much fun!  Pollinating?  Yeah, sort of fun and sort of a royal pain.  Don Lothario makes it easy.  He has the romantic trait so he's often randomly flirty.  It seemed like it took forever for Venkat to snag his girlfriend and Alton never did make it.  The hard part with klepto was you have to have pretty high mischief to be able to steal anything really worthwhile.  So Kieran kept stealing books at work and of and on would troll teh forums. The only time he actually worked on mischief was when he had to make two people dislike him but that was the turning point.  It took a lot of patience since my focus with him was culinary.

Thanks everyone for reading and posting.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2016, 06:00:01 PM »
I don't know if it's feasible, but there is a rocket ship on the Scientist career lot, so if you were intent on maxing rocket science without buying one for your home lot, you could probably have a sim become a scientist and just use the one there. Just do enough of the daily tasks not to get fired and then spend the rest of the day on rocket science.

Then again, the only real reason to have a rocket ship is for the astronaut career, and you couldn't be a scientist and an astronaut at the same time. Hmmmm. This is really quite a challenge you've set for yourself!