Author Topic: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, Completed  (Read 74807 times)

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 10
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »
By its very nature, this challenge moves much more quickly than other dynasties. That's part of the appeal, along with the fact tht you don't have to deal with all those elders! I didn't play my dynasty at all this weekend but I did manage to get the next set of screenshots edited.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:28 AM »
I am really enjoying this but there again I love how you write @MarianT the narrative just seems to flow effortlessly. I am finding it hard to not get distracted from my immortal dynasty so I can play a townie one.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »
I am really enjoying this but there again I love how you write @MarianT the narrative just seems to flow effortlessly. I am finding it hard to not get distracted from my immortal dynasty so I can play a townie one.

Rachel

Come over to the dark side, Rachel. You know you want to, bwahaha! But on the other hand, you would miss Hebe, so there's that.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »
There is a decided lack of blue Sims hanging around the town for me to play with 😂.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2016, 04:56:08 PM »
Chapter 16 -- Transition to Houser

I was going to start that off by saying that writing about yourself is a lot like carving a pumpkin -- when you start, you have to clean out a lot of glop. But then it occurred to me that my family might not like being compared to pumpkin glop. I've had pumpkins on my mind a lot lately because I've had to carve ten of them to place in the family museum.

You'll have to forgive me -- I'm not very good at writing. The Watcher won't let me near a computer until I've moved out of the house because I'm in this dynasty challenge where I can get points for my levels in a particular skill. Anyway (and what a useful word that is -- perfect for when you've been digging yourself into a verbal hole and you want to get out and change the subject, but make it look like a natural transition), anyway, as I was saying, the main thing is that I'm Houser Zest and I'm going to be a famous writer someday. But right now I'm just a teen who's sometimes gloomy and sometimes goofy and I'm the heir in a dynasty. Oh, and I have a bunch of pumpkins I have to carve.

This is a picture of me and my little sister Alicia (who is an alien, but more about her later), and my Aunt Norah. Aunt Norah is a chef, but my dad did most of the cooking when I was growing up because Aunt Norah is very creative but also a bit flighty. And since she worked until late at night, you never knew when she would be on hand to make dinner. She's a good egg, but she's way too fond of the cooking channel, if you ask my opinion.

This is my Aunt Amber, talking to my Aunt Norah. When I first became a teen, I wished that she wasn't my aunt so I could marry her when I grew up. She used to wander around the house in this purple bikini lace underwear, but once I became a teen, Dad had a word with her about appropriate clothing when there's a teen-aged boy in the house, so she switched to a purple peignoir. The material was kind of gauzy and see-through, but not nearly as interesting as the purple lace. Anyway (see how useful it is?) Aunt Amber is a comedian and works most nights at The Blue Velvet. I've never seen her act, but maybe I'll be able to catch it once I get out of high school.

Aunt Amber and Aunt Norah are both sisters of my mother. If you've been reading about this dynasty, you already know about her.

As I said, my little sister Alicia is an alien, and you know how that happened if you've been reading. She loves music and is a pretty good dancer -- better than me, but not as good as our Dad. She loves movies, too, and talking to our stuffed bear -- kid's stuff.

Here she's cross with our dad because he was telling her it was bedtime. "You better not get on my bad side," she was saying. "I've got alien powers, remember." I've never seen her "alien" powers, and I don't think she'll have them until she becomes a teen, at the earliest.

Before I took over the dynasty, my dad had a long talk with me about my future responsibilities -- not just carving pumpkins and painting portraits, but also repairing things and cooking meals. He said he hoped I would maintain the high standards that people have come to expect of this dynasty, whatever that means. One thing I was worried about was (were?) my emotions. I'm not insane or anything, but I can go from gloomy to playful in less than a minute, and vice versa. Dad was actually pretty comforting. He said that we've always had a goofball in the house -- my great-grandfather, Johnny Zest, our founder, was a goofball, and grandmother Olivia was one, and of course, there's Aunt Amber. So if I tend to find things funny sometimes, that's just a part of my heritage.

Speaking of things being funny, about ten minutes after the "high standards" talk, Dad settled down to play video games. Ironic, huh?

One other thing before I start writing about the love of my life -- I thought that blowing bubbles would help me become more creative and give me some ideas of things to write about, but all it did was give me a headache. So I guess someone else is going to have to write Confessions of a Bubble-Blower, although I still think that would be an awesome title.

Having mentioned the love of my life, here she is -- Harper Bjergsen. Isn't she adorable? Once we became friends, she started calling me up and suggesting we go out to festivals and restaurants and all kinds of places. My dad is a loner, so we hardly went anywhere when I was a child.

The first time Harper took me to a restaurant, I was just amazed that there was other stuff to eat in the world that wasn't either fish tacos or something so hot it burned your throat. "Just look at that menu!" I said, and Harper looked on indulgently.

Later I attempted to seduce her with my "wild and crazy guy" move. I suppose any other girl would have either laughed or gotten mad, but Harper just smiled and said the last time she'd seen that move had been in the music video, "Still Life." I looked it up and realized I'd been doing the same thing as the weirdo. Awkward! But she was still willing to go out with me, so it wasn't too bad.

She liked my next sexy pose, although she said it would look even better once I had more muscles. Harper lives near the ocean in Windenburg, and I must say I'm looking forward to moving in with her (fingers crossed that all goes well with the pumpkin carving). The scenery there is gorgeous.

The second restaurant we went to was Villa Bovine, which is more upscale than the Sunny Side-Up Diner. Harper ordered for us. She gave me a tip that the chef's special is usually pretty good and a good deal, too, being cheaper than usual.

After we ate, I gave her a rose...

...and I followed that up with a kiss. The next afternoon she called me. "I'm going to quit being a teen pretty soon," she said, "but there's one thing I have to do. Can you meet me at Pan Europa?"

Harper had learned about the downstairs closet from her two older brothers Dewayne and Talon. "Once I grow up, we won't be able to do anything romantic, not even hold hands," she said. "So let's make the most of this moment, okay?"

It was more than okay, as far as I was concerned. If I were a better writer, I could go into more detail. I asked her to be my girlfriend, of course, and I would have given her a promise ring, but she stopped me. "Sometimes people have problems with those," she said. "And what if you meet someone you like better when you're grown-up?" "Never," I said, but she still wouldn't let me give her one.

As we came upstairs, I saw the ghost of my great-grandmother Miko, and she saw me. "I know what you were doing down there," she said. "You better behave in the future, or I'll tell your parents." I guess on the whole, it was good that Harper and I had to wait a few days to see each other again.

Finally the great day came, the day I finished all my pumpkins for the museum and was ready to become an adult. I left the house with an empty refrigerator and an erupting bathtub, but I didn't feel too guilty. Dad is a great cook, and Aunt Norah is a chef, and the gnomes will surely take care of the plumbing.

Here's all the family -- Aunt Amber, Aunt Norah, Alicia, myself, and Mom.

I added Dad's portrait to the other heirs. Mine will be fourth, assuming that Harper and I have a child to continue the line.

Harper met me at the Sunny Side-Up Diner, where we celebrated my birthday. While we were eating our cake, we found out that the Romance Festival was going on in San Myshuno.

I proposed there, hoping that my lovely Harper lurked behind those sunglasses. I guess she did because she said yes.

I made a quick call to Mom and Dad to get them to come to the wedding, but I honestly don't know whether they arrived in time. I had eyes only for Harper, and after the fireworks went off, I was temporarily deaf. I managed to find my way to her house, though -- our house, now.

Houser's Stats upon Moving in
Portraits: 6, worth $773
Collection: carved pumpkins, worth $567
Satisfaction Points: 1090
Skill: writing, 0
Job: Critic, 3
Aspiration: Best-Selling Author
Household Income: $19,800

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 12
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2016, 05:44:34 PM »
Wow, you chose a great combination of skill/career/aspiration for Houser!
Gloomy and goofball? I'm so afraid of sims getting overly playful and look forward to seeing how Houser behaves for you (or not).

Congrats to your wedding with Harper, Houser! She is so cute and The Lighthouse is a wonderful residence.
Very much looking forward to Houser's stage of your challenge, MarianT!

P.S. I googled the "Still Life" music video and only encountered a very bizarre semi-cartoonlike video. Does the video you mention really exist?

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »
Anyway, I really enjoyed Houser's dissertation on his family, his life and his expectations.  Not mention "anyway".  Loved that!
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
@oshizu, "Still Life" was one of the teasers for Get to Work. I think you can find it with the other teasers for Sims 4. I called it a music video, because that's what it would be to the Sims.

@Joria, glad you enjoyed it!

Offline JonMom2009

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
Loved the new update!

I rolled the same Aspiration for my new heir in a new Townie Dynasty I'm playing and (sharing soon). Would it be wrong to pick the same career as you did for something different for me?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
Loved the new update!

I rolled the same Aspiration for my new heir in a new Townie Dynasty I'm playing and (sharing soon). Would it be wrong to pick the same career as you did for something different for me?

Sure, that's okay. I've done the Writer's career often enough, so I can understand if you want to do the Critic career, too.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2016, 12:11:02 AM »
Houser is a delight! So awkwardly charming. I'm going to think of him every time I use "anyway."

I find it so strange that "gloomy" and "goofball" aren't conflicting traits, but they certainly make for an interesting Sim.

Glad you directed me toward the Still Life video. Very cute!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2016, 01:59:41 AM »
Will the pumpkins rot? I didn't realize heirs had to include themselves in the household portraits. Do founders also have to do that? If so, I need to start over! :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »
Will the pumpkins rot? I didn't realize heirs had to include themselves in the household portraits. Do founders also have to do that? If so, I need to start over! :)

No, don't start over. Since I started with Johnny Zest, I felt like I should put up something in the way of a portrait, and used a selfie, but it wasn't necessary. And since I started that way, I've continued.

When you get to level 5 handiness, you get the option to preserve your pumpkins by paying $50 for each.

@FrancescaFiori, I thought gloomy and goofball might be conflicting, too, when I rolled them, but the game let me do them. It's actually not a conflict for Houser since only one moodlet can dominate at a time. The Still Life video is still my favorite teaser. Glad you were able to find it!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2016, 02:41:03 PM »
Chapter 17 -- The First 10 Points and Free Day

Cue eerie music
Thick clouds were scudding across the evening sky as I entered The Lighthouse, my new home for the first time. Little did I know what lay in the future for me there...

Okay, even though I sometimes feel gloomy, it doesn't take long for me to start laughing again. This is my brother-in-law Dewayne. He's lazy and a kleptomaniac.

And here's my other brother-in-law Talon. He's in the Social Media career track but so far hasn't established a profile for himself. I can't remember his traits, but I know that genius is not one of them.

I soon took them to the gym with me. I'm not saying a man has to look like a body-builder, and I certainly don't have the greatest physique, but both Dewayne and Talon are so pear-shaped that the only thing they'll ever attract will be a partridge.

How the two of them ended up with such a gorgeous sister is something I'll never understand. Harper is ambitious, so she's decided to start dressing for success even though it'll be a while before she can get a job. Dad wasn't kidding when he warned me it would take a while to get the first 10 points, but more about that later.

Geekcon came to San Myshuno a few days after we got married, so of course I took Harper. I had to leave for work after an hour, but she stayed and had a great time. And yes, she is pregnant in that shot.

Here's the layout of the house -- the first floor. (The grill soon disappeared.) It's a beautiful house, and I like living there, but taxes are high -- $5500+ a week, which is about 4 times what Dad had to pay.

And the second. The Watcher informed me that she gave the house a couple of lot traits -- Fast Internet, to help me skill up in writing, and Gremlins, to give a boost to my handiness skills.

I soon found out what the gremlins could do. Here's the study, and the exercise room beyond it.

And here's the kitchen. You don't even want to see the bathrooms. Poor Harper woke up needing to pee, and of course both the toilets were clogged. That's a minus one for bladder failure, but I don't blame Harper at all. This was absolutely the Watcher's fault, and it's no use her whining that she didn't know everything would break. We lost three sinks, two toilets, two showers, the stove, the refrigerator, the espresso machine, two computers, two TVs, two video consoles, and four stereos. We did, however, get an achievement for having 10 broken objects on the lot at once.

We almost lost me, because I got electrocuted when trying to repair the stove. I had to lie down for a while until I recovered. "Look on the bright side," said the Watcher. "This way you don't have to worry about people getting hysterical from watching the Comedy channel while you're at work." It took me several days to get around to fixing the televisions.

Soon after the attack of the gremlins, Harper gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, Bjorn.

Dad came over to meet his grandson. "I hope you get some attractive young ladies moving into town by the time he gets old enough to marry," he said. "All the young people seem to be boys. I thought you were going to encourage Harper to listen to pop music so she'd have a girl."
"I did," I said. "We had four radios tuned to the pop station until the gremlins came along. I just didn't have time to repair all of them."

Bjorn is a loner, like his grandfather. He definitely inherited the shape of his mouth from Harper, along with my hair and eye coloring. We'll have to wait until he grows up to see who else he resembles. He's working on motor skills so I'm hoping he won't have the same body shape as his uncles.

Alicia is a teen now. She came over to see us, and I was quite taken aback by how pretty she'd become. I had to remind both Talon and Dewayne that she is still only a teen.

She rummaged around in our closet and found a new formal dress. Harper told her she could keep it as it suits her so perfectly.

Finally, finally, I got a free day. Watcher's fault, naturally -- she thought I could get promoted faster if I worked from home, but that turned out not to be the case. Anyway, both Dewayne and Harper got jobs -- Harper as an astronaut, her childhood dream come true, and Dewayne in a field that will employ his particular talents. Talon sat down at the computer to set up his online profile. It's hard to believe that someday he might be an internet personality.

I took advantage of the free day to get our broken appliances taken care of. We had a second visit from the gremlins, but the Watcher thinks they show up only when everyone in the house is asleep. Guess who the designated wake-up person is going to be.

And for Bjorn, the free day meant homework. I gave him a hand, though.

In the middle of the day, Harper had to cut short her chess game to give birth to our second child.

Also our third and fourth, all girls. That's Katlin, Caroline, and Norah.

Even though he's a loner, Bjorn was actually quite pleased about his new sisters. "They'll all play together," he said, "so they won't bother me much." I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I'll close with a picture of two of my four girls.

I got my 11 points this way -- 6 from writing skill, 2 from promotions, 2 from Satisfaction points, and 1 from becoming good friends with Bjorn.

Online oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Dec 15
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
Houser's wife and son are very attractive.

I cackled very loudly over Houser's observation about Talon not having the Genius trait as well as his pear/patridge remark

Wow, triplets! I can't even imagine how hard managing triplets will be in this kind of challenge!
Did you do anything special to influence multiple births, or was it simply chance?

Congratulations, Houser, on earning your first 11 points!

anything