Author Topic: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, Completed  (Read 74773 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Jan 8
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Chapter 28 -- Transition to Elsa

(Hello, Elsa.)
"Go away. I'm not talking to you."
(Oh dear, are you another loner? No, I see that you love the outdoors and you're a slob. You're going to become hot-headed when you age up, but that trait hasn't kicked in yet. So what's the problem?)
"If you have to ask, I'm not going to tell you."
(Childish isn't one of your traits either.)
"You let my mother die -- that's the problem. And don't say you couldn't have done anything about it. You could have given her ambrosia or a potion or something. I know that there are other dynasties where people don't die."
(There's a dynasty where some people don't die, that's true. But even if your mother had been a spouse in that dynasty, she still would have died. Look, if you don't want to talk to me that's fine, but there are some things I need to say to you. First, I want you to keep working on handiness. Second, you don't have to go to school any more -- just keep calling in those vacation days. Third, you've got a really limited choice in future spouses -- two elders, and two adults. I 'm sorry, but Shingo is not on the list. And fourth, you can start fishing as soon as you get married.)
"I've been wanting to go fishing ever since I was a kid."
(Oh, so you are talking to me again. Good. See you later.)

The wood-working table exerts a terrible fascination upon the minds of Sims. Whereas other objects whisper seductively, it shouts, "Come on. Make a knife block. You know you want to." Seiji is hungry and is not having any fun, but he's mesmerized by the thwack of the knife, the hiss of the plane against the unyielding wood.

And that's why Elsa, unlike most teens, gets to lock the door to her room.
"Hey, kiddo, what are you doing in there?"
"Making a lumberjack."
"Oooh, can't I come in and watch? I won't try to make anything, I promise."
"Uncle Seiji, I know you have your fingers crossed. The answer is no."

"Sweetie, if you're serious about Shingo, I'm sure the Watcher can arrange something..."
"I'm not asking any favors of Her."
"It's just that I want you to be happy. And I think you might be happier with someone closer to your own age."
"You and Mom were happy even though she was older than you."
"Yes, but --"
"I'll be fine, Dad, really."
"I just think you should meet some more people before you make up your mind. And have some fun, too."

So Elsa went swimming at the Enchanted Pool. She met one of her prospects there -- Anas Ghomari. Overweight elders don't appear at their best in swimsuits, though, so she immediately crossed him off her list.

The next day Elsa learned that a flea market was setting up in San Myshuno. She took some of her statuettes and set them on the table, only to discover that someone else had set up a similar display next to hers. That someone was Akaya Yamaguchi, Shingo's older sister. "You might as well pack up and leave," she said. "No way is anyone going to want your stuff after they've seen mine."
Even though Shingo had never actually been on her list, Elsa crossed him off, too.
That left Atharv Srivastava, who had the jealous trait, Atharv Trivedi, who lived in a dinky little house (Crick Cabana) and was an elder, and one other.

Elsa went into San Myshuno to meet the last prospect, Ezequiel Prado. He wasn't home when she entered the apartment, so she took her time to check things out. The historical plaques weren't very informative, but she liked the view.

And the plumbing in the bathroom was amazing. She'd heard that the talking toilet could make puddles evaporate, too. If so, that would be a real plus. Elsa hated mopping.

By now, she'd finished everything she needed for the Museum. She added her portrait of Bjorn to the wall. It was actually kind of thrilling to think that someday she would be the first woman up there.

Her wood carvings weren't worth much, but her Dad had said that didn't matter. They were worth more than his photographs, at least.

And he said it was okay to include her mother's portrait, even if she was a ghost.

The next day, she finally met Ezequiel Prado. He seemed very sophisticated and, well, old, but when she started talking about how wonderful Nature was and how she intended to become a lobbyist for Speak for the Trees, she discovered that he was a kindred spirit even if he did live in an apartment in the middle of a city.

Later on, he called her up and told her it was Ghost Night at the bar. "This isn't a date," he told her, "and you won't be able to drink anything stronger than cream soda, but since you had said something about wanting to talk to ghosts, I thought you might be interested."
Elsa was interested. She didn't recognize any of the ghosts who showed up (she'd been hoping to see her mother or one of her ancestors), but it was comforting to see that they could all get together and have fun.

Back at home, her Uncle Seiji had some sad news for her. "I've been told to wind up my affairs," he said.
"Oh, Uncle Seiji," cried Elsa. "Do you want me to get the woodworking table out for you?"
"No, no, I've got more important things to do," he said. "Play my guitar some more, that kind of thing."

Bjorn was at work, and Elsa was asleep downstairs when the Grim Reaper came for Seiji.

The two of them took his tombstone out to the family plot the next afternoon. "He won't be alone," said Bjorn. "He'll have his mother and sister here, too."
Elsa had a disturbing thought. "But Dad, you'll be alone when I leave."
"And that's fine," said Bjorn. "I'm a loner, remember? Besides, you're going to have to fish somewhere, and you can't do it in the city. There's a nice spot right outside the house. I might even join you sometimes."

Early the next morning, Elsa blew out the candles on her cake. (Happy Birthday! Or are you still not talking to me.)
"Oh, Watcher, I guess I've forgiven you. But I want you to promise to make sure that I'll be able to put Dad's tombstone next to Mom's when the time comes."
(I promise. In the meantime, I was wondering if you'd like to take Ezequiel with you to Granite Falls.)

Ah, Nature. Isn't it wonderful?

"Ezequiel, I love it that your jeans are even messier than mine. Will you marry me?"
And what could Ezequiel say other than "Yes"?
"Good," said Elsa. "There's something I have to do, but I'll be back in a flash. Don't go away."

"I'll show that Akaya whose wood carvings rule," Elsa muttered as she jotted down proportions. "Tell me to pack up my table -- I don't think so."

It turned out that Elsa and Ezequiel could not actually get married in Granite Falls. But Elsa could get pregnant.

"That's great news," said Bjorn, when Elsa told him she was pregnant. "I'm sure you and Ezequiel will be happy together."
"And I'll come visit often," said Elsa. "And you can come see me in the city."
"We'll see," said Bjorn. "I'm not too fond of crowds."

Elsa and Ezequiel got married outside, on the front porch.

We'll say good-by for a while to Bjorn now. That's a masterpiece he painted above the photo of him and Izumi. The solitary tree seems to capture his spirit.

Elsa's Stats on Moving in:
Portraits: $384
Collection: $350
Satisfaction Points: 600
Household Income: $19,775.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline NexttoNormal

• Townie
  • A bit dramatic, a little insane, mostly artistic
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Jan 10
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
Elsa's very pretty, I can see a lot of Izumi in her. Congrats on finishing up Bjorn's requirements!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
I giggled at your description of the woodworking table's allure.

Oooh, only Gen06 and the spousal prospective of the beautiful Elsa have grown very slim already.
I'm glad that she has found a kindred spirit who lives in an apartment with such a great view.
Living in Crick Cabana would certainly have been torture after Pier Palace!

I echo NexttoNormal's congrats on the successful segue to Elsa.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »
Congrats to Elsa on the marriage, pregnancy, and swanky new penthouse! I didn't know the talking toilets got rid of puddles. Neat!

I'm glad she found Ezequiel, and that they're so compatible. It made me laugh that she gave up on Shingo because of his mean sister. :)

I love Bjorn's masterpiece painting. I almost never paint small ones, so I've never seen it before. It's beautiful and very appropriate.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
Chapter 29 -- The First 10 Points and Free Day

Elsa loved the view of San Myshuno at night.

It was pretty during the day, too.

She soon discovered that Ezequiel needed to develop his logic skill to get a raise. Charisma, too (he was level 6 in the Business career), but it was harder to get him to work on that.

What he wanted to do most of the time, though, was to carve dragons, elephants, and bunnies (the thwack of the knife, the hiss of the plane, etc.). Since he was already at level 10 handiness, this wasn't very productive.

In addition, he interfered with Elsa making progress as she worked on the more lucrative camping mascots. Since his computer was in the same room as the workbench, there wasn't much that could be done about it.

Bjorn came over soon after they moved in, and Elsa gave him his own key. He often shows up for "game night" even though they don't have a television or console.

But he's quite happy just hanging out and having some mac and cheese. Elsa suspects that he's not as much of a loner as he says he is.

When Bjorn doesn't come to the apartment, Elsa goes to her old home in Windenburg to fish.

She fell in love with fishing even before she caught her first -- a nice big tuna. It was worth only 3 simoleons, so she mounted it and hung it in the workroom. It helps give her a feeling of confidence, which is what she needs for work.

She joined a club dedicated to fishing called Just for the Halibut. Elsa was a little distressed to discover that all the members were ghosts -- and none of her family among them. They usually call meetings in the middle of the night, which makes it hard for her to go.

She was pleased to discover that she could fish in San Myshuno, both at the Spice Market and in the park.

One of her favorite spots is the park in Oasis Springs. Who would have guessed there'd be so many different kinds of fish in such shallow water?

The time finally came when it was time for the baby to be born. Ezequiel was in a panic, and Elsa wasn't happy to see that both the doctor and nurse were ghosts.

She was even less happy to discover that no one was at the reception desk. "Let's go home," she told Ezequiel. "I can have the baby there." He ran around in a panic for a few more minutes but then joined her.

Elsa had a beautiful baby girl -- Maki, named after her maternal grandmother.

She decided to work from home, but soon discovered that she couldn't accomplish everything by staying indoors. One day after Ezequiel came home from work, she went out to stage her first protest. She remembered her mother's old chant: "I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree." It didn't bring in many supporters.

On another day she tried selling her carvings, but concluded that she needed to set up in a place where there were more people.

Maki soon grew up to be a little girl. She was very bright, so bright that Elsa felt it necessary to cheat when playing chess with her.

Her favorite story was The Pizzi-cat-o Polka.

But what she loved more than anything was experimenting with her chemistry lab.

One night she stayed up late, long after her parents went to bed, and set her lab on fire. Luckily Elsa woke up and put out the blaze before it could do too much damage.

One promotion led to another and soon Elsa was giving speeches in Uptown rather than protesting in the Spice Market.

Elsa gained 12 points: 5 from fishing, 5 from promotions, and 2 from becoming good friends with Ezequiel and Maki. She needed the extra 2 points to offset Maki's fire.

(Wait -- did someone say toddlers? Do we have toddlers now? Oh man, Elsa's just going to have to get pregnant again, whether there's room or not. But what if she has twins, or even triplets? Decisions, decisions -- what's a Watcher to do?)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, update Jan 13
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »
Beautiful daytime shot of San Myshuno!

I love how father and daughter have stayed close. Bjorn still looks so young and the girls are very lovely.
Is Elsa going for Charity Organizer or Politician?

You mentioned Maki using the science table late into the night? Does it also have a pull on the sims?

I wonder how useful the Social Media/Public Relations career would be for an heir, due to its feature of being able to get sims to do things.
The thought just occurred to me after your comment that one couldn't influence another sim to level Charisma.

Your introduction to the Kid Stuff Pack in your RDC was so thorough. I can't wait for Elsa to have a toddler, if that's what you decide.  :D

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2017, 05:50:54 PM »
Maki is very cute! Glad you had a successful home-birth after such a horrible hospital fail!

I love the views out all the windows. What an amazing penthouse!

Bjorn is so sweet, showing up at the apartment all the time. He may be a loner, but he clearly also loves his daughter.

Very excited at the prospect of the first Zest Dynasty toddler!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
@oshizu, I think the science table has always exerted some pull, but my other children lived in larger houses so were farther away from it. In an apartment, there's not that much for children to do. And they don't have a television. Except for the fire, I'm happy about it -- she has the Whiz Kid aspiration and might actually complete it.

I'll have to look into the Social Media career. I didn't know there was any way to influence some Sims to do some things (other than call to meal, etc.).

@FrancescaFiori, I'm excited, too! I played around with one as a test -- I think toddlers will fit in just fine.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
@MarianT
A sim who's reached Level 9 in the Social Media/Public Relations earns extra socials for persuading other sims to Play Music, Do Comedy, Play Games, Sing, Cook, or Work Out.

No help with building charisma but still very helpful...

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
Chapter 30 -- The Second 10 Points and Free Day

Maki was excited when Elsa told her that she would be getting a baby brother or sister. "Cool!" she said. "Another kid to play with."

But then at school she learned that her baby brother or sister would have to go through a new life stage before becoming a child, that it would have to be a toddler. And that it would be much cuter than she was and much more demanding. So she came home angry and actually punched Mr. Draconis.

Elsa caught her as she stormed out of the room, and Maki told her how upset she was. "Yes, we are going to have a toddler," said Elsa, "but we'll still love you just as much.  And you'll get to be the big sister who gets to do everything that she can't, the one she can never catch up to."
That cheered up Maki a little bit.

It wasn't long before Amber was born. Elsa didn't even bother trying to go to the hospital this time.

Ezequiel passed out when he came home from work. He didn't even have the excuse of being the parent of a toddler -- his exhaustion (and lack of hygiene) came from spending too much time at the wood-working bench.

To prepare for a toddler, they had to do some re-decorating, or maybe un-decorating would be the more accurate term. Elsa and Ezequiel put a toddler bed and a big toybox in their bedroom and replaced one of the dining chairs with a high chair. A potty chair went into the bathroom, and a dollhouse would take the place of the bassinet once Amber left it behind.

Elsa took advantage of her last day of freedom by opening the way to Sylvan Glade.

It was so beautiful that she knew she would come here often to fish, once she could get away from the apartment.

She also spent some more time with Bjorn. "I want you to promise me that you'll come over to the house just as soon as you start feeling funny," she said. "I wish you could move in with us, but that's against the dynasty rules." Her telephone buzzed.

It was a notification that it was time for Amber to age up, and here she is, fussy trait and all.

Flying on Mom's back is the greatest.

Watching Mom pretend to be a dinosaur is pretty good, too.

Having a new dollhouse is almost worth getting a baby sister as far as Maki is concerned.

And putting the dollhouse back together is helping to develop Elsa's handiness skill.

The obligatory potty-training picture. Sometimes Amber hums "Row, row, row your boat" while waiting.

Blocks. Not very interesting now, but the child who learns how to master them might someday be allowed to use the wood-working table.

Amber plays with her butterfly while Elsa gets some work done -- discussing interests with her dad and making empty promises to a stranger.

They return home at the same time as Maki, who has just gotten an A at school. She and Elsa take a picture together to commemmorate the occasion.

That night, when Elsa starts to read about dinosaurs to Amber, she decides that she wants Daddy instead. He sits down and reads "Like You for the Time Being" instead.

Elsa makes another camping mascot and that brings in the last of the $30,000 she needs to get a free day. She falls into bed and lets Ezequiel take over the parenting duties.

While he gets ready for work, Amber goes on an exploratory mission and finds a pan to play with.

Bathtime, and Ezequiel tries to keep from getting splashed.

Elsa and Maki take over again when he goes off to work. Amber isn't sure that she wants to hear about her big sister's homework, but she's too tired to make much of a fuss.

Elsa picked up another 11 points (1 to offset Ezequiel's passing out) by getting 2 promotions at work, earning 2000 satisfaction points and increasing household income by $30,000. She became good friends with Aarohi Joyson and Amber, and gained another skill point in fishing. Maki completed the total by coming home with a B and then an A.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
It was fun seeing Elsa's adorable toddler. All the new stuff is really cute, too. The jammies!

Don't fret, Maki! You're every bit as cute as Amber and, one day soon, you'll have a toddler of your own.

When the woodworking gets to be too much, do the challenge rules permit stowing the table in family inventory? Just wondering.
Thank you for exploring all the Work from Home assignments!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, Jan 14(toddler pics)
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
It was fun seeing Elsa's adorable toddler. All the new stuff is really cute, too. The jammies!

Don't fret, Maki! You're every bit as cute as Amber and, one day soon, you'll have a toddler of your own.

When the woodworking gets to be too much, do the challenge rules permit stowing the table in family inventory? Just wondering.
Thank you for exploring all the Work from Home assignments!

Thanks for the info on influencing through the Social Media career. It may be a while before I get to try that. Now that Elsa has made it to $30,000 with her camping mascots, I may put the wood-working table away. Ezequiel seems to be a bit obsessive, though -- it's also hard getting him away from the chess table once he's started.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2017, 11:22:47 PM »
Oh, gosh! Amber is adorable, but only being able to control one sim to take care of all the toddler-care duties must be exhausting for poor Elsa!
Poor Mr. Draconis! I'm glad Maki seems to be warming up to her little sister. Nice job on the A in school, too!
A very cute chapter! I like encouraging Amber to play blocks by tempting her with the woodworking table. Sims will do anything to get to that table these days!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
Chapter 31 -- The One with 0 Points

We'll begin with a happy subject -- Amber having her first peanut butter and jelly sandwich. (Can you tell she's my first toddler?)

She and Elsa both went down for a nap after that. Amber was the first one up, and she was not happy to be on her own.

When Ezequiel and Maki left her in the middle of her tantrum, she destroyed the dollhouse.

Finally Elsa got up and took her over to her grandfather's house.

They did flash cards, and Elsa managed to fish long enough to pick up 1 point for getting to level 7. Then they and Bjorn went back to the apartment.

Elsa needed another short nap (her energy hasn't been full since Amber became a toddler), so Ezequiel autonomously took over potty training.

He and Bjorn both tried to impart the knowledge of shapes.

When Elsa got up to feed Amber, she discovered that Amber had picked up the applesauce she'd put on the high chair and had settled herself into a grown-up chair.

Amber gave Mr. Draconis a hug before going to bed, and Elsa took a long-needed shower.

At around 6:45 am on Monday, Bjorn got the call to rejoin Izumi.

Everyone came to mourn his passing, including Amber. Do toddlers grieve? Yes, they get a +5 sad moodlet that lasts 2 days, just like everyone else.

As soon as Grim left, Maki left for school, and Elsa left for work. Usually she gets a phone call asking whether she wants to work at home or at the office, but I guess when Grim's around the signal is interrupted. The Watcher only had time to cancel her departure long enough for her to hire a nanny. Ezequiel had to work that day, too, and as an uncontrolled Sim, he didn't have any options.

Amber slept most of the day, which provided plenty of time for the nanny to repair the dollhouse (which she did) and clean the potty chair (which she didn't). The nanny made some vegetarian chili and then settled down with a book. She read the whole time that Amber slept, even through the warning that Amber was getting very hungry and would be taken away if she wasn't fed soon.

Luckily Amber woke in time and managed to grab a plate of vegetarian chili for herself. Elsa fired the nanny as soon as she got home.

So Elsa made 0 points: 1 for gaining a level in fishing and -1 for hiring a service person -- the nanny, who was useless.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: A Townie Dynasty with Zest, Jan 15
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
What a little terror Amber can be! But she's so adorable that it's impossible to hold her misbehavior against her.
Is it the Fussy trait which makes Amber rather high-maintenance? At least she can feed herself!

Would a toddler automatically be sent to daycare (like an infant) when left alone in the house?
Just wondering if the nanny was hired so that we could continue to dote on the adorable fuss that is Amber.

Wow, zero points... blame the toddler?