Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99148 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 6)
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
Chapter 13 -- Caught on Tape

Balthazar and Nadia both said it was my turn to write. Lately I've been busy working on the Artistic Prodigy aspiration. These are some of my favorite paintings.

Father gave me instruction in the violin. He's really a good player himself, but I don't like it when he shouts "Tempo! Tempo!" at me. It's hard enough getting my fingers in the right places on the strings without having to do everything at a certain speed.

Now that I'm working on the Whiz Kid aspiration, it's a lot less stressful. All I have to do is play chess and stuff.

Sure enough, like Balthazar and Nadia said, Father had "the talk" with me. Even though it's the 21st century, he's going to arrange my marriage. Aren't there laws against this sort of thing? Not that I have anything against my future bridegroom; I'd just rather do the picking myself. Father says that the current divorce rate is because foolish young people do the picking themselves.

Nadia seems to be okay with Father's choice for her (better her than me), but I don't think he knows yet.

Malcolm is a neatnik, so she's starting picking up stuff around the house, which is a good thing, I guess.

He's one of her "adult" friends (she's working on the Social Butterfly aspiration). I'd get upset if he called me names like he does her -- Snagglechin and Tomatohead being two of them -- but she just laughs.

She's made friends with Elsa Bjergsen.

Reece Wills is harder though. Maybe it's because she beat him so badly at voidcritters, or maybe it's because for the longest time we thought "he" was a "she."

Balthazar has finished Social Butterfly and is now working on Rambunctious Scamp.

He was really upset the other day because Father got mad at him for finishing Social Butterfly on a free day when his points didn't count. Poor Bearcula takes a lot of abuse -- I've yelled at him myself.

Balthazar is the only one of us that's going to be a vampire. Father was with us in the park when he saw that Olivia Kim-Lewis was now old enough to be turned, so he showed Balthazar what that was like. Balthazar thought it was cool, but I wouldn't want anyone chewing on my arm. Yuck!

Lately the grown-ups have been passing out when they come home from work. I understand that they have longer hours than we do, but still...

If they didn't stand outside for hours, they wouldn't have this problem. Father can't go out to get them because the sun's hard on him.

He's gotten to be a much better singer, by the way, but it still sounds weird when he sings the campfire songs. He's just not a folksy kind of person.

Mother was really angry about something when she came home this afternoon, but I don't know what it was. She took Father into the bedroom to talk about it...

The Oasis Springs Gazette
Vampires Among Us?
   Or is it aliens? This photograph from the security camera in The Roadstead retail store certainly raises some questions. There have been plenty of rumors about vampires lately, and some people think that they're to blame for the mysterious "purple glow" illness that has afflicted many local teens. On the other hand, there's no doubt that some strange-looking people have been seen in Oasis Springs, and it's nowhere near Spooky Day. A spokesperson from the Science Center declined to comment when we asked if they were aliens. Watch this space.

"How do you explain this?" Zoe demanded, her finger shaking as she jabbed it at the newspaper.
Vlad took the paper carefully and read over the article in its entirety. "It appears that I was photographed immediately after a feeding. I'm sorry, dear. I'll be more careful in the future."
"I'm not talking about that," said Zoe. "Although I hate it when you use people I know to quench your thirst. But I'm angry because it looks like you went there with your purple floozy."
"Is that woman purple?" inquired Vlad. "I don't see how you can tell from the photo. Anyway, I didn't go there with anyone. And I can assure you that all I was interested in was getting some sustenance. But you're right -- I've been very careless, and I've endangered my offspring -- and upset you -- in the process. I'll turn over a new leaf and drink another Draught of Reconfiguration to get rid of this insatiable thirst. Will that please you?"
"I guess it will have to," Zoe said crossly. "And you might dress a little more like ordinary people so you won't stand out as much."

Dear lovely viewers, I hope you've enjoyed this foray into fantasy as much as I have. Sad to say, there are no vampires. I never dreamed when I started this blog that it would grow into such an internet phenomenon. Thanks so much for reading and commenting and asking questions, but it's time for me to say good-bye.

Vlad logged off. He thought about closing down the website, but his patron would probably be angry if he did that. Instead, he set up a new e-mail account...

To: Sofia Bjergsen, Nina Caliente, Cassandra Goth, Morgan Fyres, Luna Villareal, Shea Locklear, Wren Lilard, Olivia Kim-Lewis, Travis Scott, Malcolm Landgraab, Diego Lobo, Paolo Rocca, Wolfgang Munch, Joaquin le Chien, and Farhan Higa
I've been careless and let myself be photographed. It's my own fault -- I just didn't realize there were so many surveillance devices around in the modern world. We will all have to be more circumspect in the future. I've rid myself of the "insatiable thirst" flaw and strongly advise all of you against adopting it. In future our training sessions will have to take place somewhere other than Straud Mansion, but I think I know a place that might be suitable. Await further instructions, and delete this once you've read it.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 7)
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
The surveillance camera shot was great. Loving the direction this is going. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
I really like the Nadia and Malcolm pairing. How cute that she's already started tidying up in view of Malcolm's neat trait!
And she can laugh off his evil comments--that will be a crucial asset going forward, I'd say!
Wow, Balthazar happily chatting while Vlad turns a vampire, lol!  He's a most gorgeous child, a living male replica of his mother!

That Draught of Reconfiguration seems so handy!  I want to try it out, too!!! Well, not me, for my sims...

Vlad on the down low...where will be train his offspring now? Can't wait to find out (and also looking forward to learning about the alien's phone entry...)

Offline wfgodot

• ello beastie
  • Occult
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
Well I don't like Malcolm!  Snagglechin?  Tomatohead?  Hmph.  And now she's cleaning to make him happy!  No.

:(

But yes Balthazar is really handsome, for a kid!

Add "maice" on Origin.
Behren Blog

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
@FrancescaFiori, @Whirligig, Yes, there are too many people in the house for anyone to get pregnant from an alien abduction. But there's no telling what might happen when the children grow up and start moving out. @oshizu, I'm not sure what our purple alien was typing -- coordinates for Vlad's house, perhaps?

@wfgodot, Nadia's taking out the trash and picking up dishes was entirely autonomous. I did have her try to become friends with Malcolm because she needed an adult friend, but I was surprised at how easy it was -- usually I haven't bothered with him because he tends to alienate people (but then, so does Vlad).

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
Yay!!  It was my dear, sweet Gretchen's turn again!  I loved her description of Nadia's relationship with Malcolm.  Funny stuff!
Vlad got busted with his purple mistress!!  One of tehse days, Zoe's just gonna kick him to the curb!

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
Aw, nuts! I should've counted the household members before I got my hopes up. Oh, well, Vlad getting abducted is still very funny, and getting busted for both cheating and feeding by the security camera is hilarious. The Oasis Springs Gazette is quite the hard-hitting journalistic institution!

So this means Vlad's blogging days are over? I'd be sad except that it seems like he already has a plan for what to do next, so I'm just excited! :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
No power here, so it will be a few days before I get back to this.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
Chapter 14 -- Three-Quarters Done

Some headlines from the Internet:

INTERNET SUPERSTAR CONFESSES TO VAMPIRE HOAX

"There are no vampires," says "Count" Vlad

"I'm devastated. I'll never trust anyone again." -- Y.B., 17

In just a few short days, Vlad lost his advertisers, his readers, and the patron who paid him a salary. On the bright side, he had enough tears to water his plasma plant.

Vlad took on a new, more discreet public persona -- V. Straud, the proprietor of a small store in Newcrest.

It was the Point & Shoot photographic shop.

"And I've changed from my black coat to a navy blue one, so no one will be able to recognize me from the picture in the newspaper," he told Zoe.

"I think you're going to have to make more of a change than that," she warned him. "Navy blue would have shown up black in the picture, too. Perhaps you should try wearing a hat -- and not your top hat."

So Vlad changed his look. He soon found that photographs sold well, but they didn't sell for much -- $12 at most for a large print. Cameras were a more lucrative source of income.

He also tried picking up some extra money in tips.

At night, Point & Shoot served a different clientele. He could meet with his offspring there and give them training and practice sparring.

Meanwhile, his three children were approaching adolescence.

Balthazar completed his Rambunctious Scamp aspiration with a bang.

He moved on to Artistic Prodigy and began working on his creativity skill.

To his delight, blowing bubbles counted as playing with toys.

Nadia finished up her Artistic Prodigy aspiration with 5 different drawings...

...and several hours' practice on the violin.

Her next aspiration was Whiz Kid, and Vlad helped her with that by beating her at chess.

Gretchen made her three emotion potions for Whiz Kid.

She settled down to building up mental skill points by playing chess with her father. Balthazar's attempts to chat with her didn't help, but eventually she was able to focus enough to max the skill.

She started working on the Social Butterfly aspiration, making friends with Paolo Rocca, when her father brought him to the house.

Iggy Pancakes became a friend, and she was able to get a more powerful Nymphaea card by trading with him. As soon as Gretchen becomes friends with one more child, she'll be able to grow up and be a teen.

Last but not least, J was promoted to an E-sports Gamer, and just needs to work on video gaming for his next promotion.

Vlad's Third 50 Points
Skills: 11 -- guitar, 6; singing, 5
Promotions: 7 -- Vlad, 1; Gavin, 1; Mitchell, 2; Zoe, 2; Balthazar, 1
1000 Satisfaction Points: 2
Good Friends: 3 -- Cassandra Goth, Joaquin le Chien, Paolo Rocca
$30,000 Added: 10
Maxed Skills/Aspirations/Job: 30 -- Vlad, painting, photography, and guitar, 6; Gretchen, creativity and mental, 4; Nadia, motor and creativity, 4; Balthazar, motor, 2/ Gretchen, Artistic Prodigy and Whiz Kid, 4; Nadia, Rambunctious Scamp, Social Butterfly, and Artistic Prodigy, 6; Balthazar, Rambunctious Scamp, 2/Vlad, Social Media -- Internet Superstar, 2
Places Visited: 4 -- The Solar Flare, The Bluffs, The Roadstead, Point & Shoot
Negatives: -15 -- controlled vampire, -10; fire, -2, Balthazar; pass out, -3, Balthazar, Zoe, J

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 13)
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »
Yay!  More Gretchen!!  Is Paolo the future Mr. Gretchen?
I actually really like Vlad's new look, but was blown away by the store!  Did you build that, or download it?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2017, 11:05:24 PM »
Like Pippin, I love the new store itself as well as its name.
I'm glad to see Zoe speaking her mind to Vlad!

The children are doing so well! Nadia is really zipping through her aspirations. I can't wait to see her as a teen!
Loved the shot of Balthazar falling on his rump!
Since Vladislaus is not only doing the regular TenGen Dynasty requirements but also training his offspring, The Straud Dynasty seems a lot more difficult, even on a longer lifespan setting.

I'm glad you got your power back and hope that you, your home, and loved ones have safely survived the storm.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2017, 12:10:16 AM »
The camera store is amazing! So clever, and still attractive and functional! I love it!

Loving Vlad's new look as well. Very dapper. I'm so glad he's found such a marvelous way to reinvent himself.

Poor, poor, disillusioned YB. She may never get over this. :(

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
@FrancescaFiori, I'm glad someone sympathizes with Yuki in her time of mourning.

@PeregrineTook, The camera store is on the Gallery in the MaxisCreator_01 account. I think they showed it in the trailer for Get to Work, and when people asked for it, they made something we could download.

@oshizu. We're all fine, thank you for asking. We had 2 very cold nights (temps down to 12F ), but that was the worst of it. That, and not being able to play Sims.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
Chapter 15 -- They Grow up so Fast

Cue music, "Sunrise, Sunset."

One minute your daughter is hanging out on spaceships...

...and making friends at the playground by gazing at clouds.

Then all of a sudden, she's blowing out the candles on her birthday cake...

...and this is the result.

And before you can say, "What happened?"

Daughter No. 2 has done the same thing.

To a teenager, there's no more important question than "What am I going to wear?" When your father was a teenager during the time of the French Revolution, it's not likely that his idea of appropriate garb will coincide with yours.

Luckily you have a mother who insists that skirts don't have to come down to the floor and sleeves don't have to come down to the wrists. It's not the latest fashion, but it will have to do.

Even so, your father has a hard time adjusting. "Gretchen Straud, is that paint on your lips?" he demands. "Just chapstick, Father," you say nervously. "The sun really has a chafing effect here in Oasis Springs."

And dating hasn't even become an issue yet. Well, it never will be an issue. Vlad has already arranged the marriages of his children -- in his mind, anyway.

Things have not been going well at the store. Vlad has had to sell the computer and the chess table out front, not to make ends meet, but because his customers would rather play games than buy anything. Also, Vlad has a hard time grasping the notion that the customer is always right. He's always right, not the customer.

He starts looking for other ways to pick up points -- like maxing the video game skill.

And helping others work on it, too. (Watcher's note -- in this picture, you can see that a DNA test will never be required to prove Nadia's paternity.)

The store still serves some purposes -- Vlad often comes here to train and spar with his offspring -- Luna Villareal, in this case.

It's also useful for taking pictures of his children. Gretchen has picked up the active trait and has taken a job as a nanny.

Nadia is a geek and will be working as a manual laborer.

Nadia has started working on her collection -- she doesn't know yet whether it will be metals, crystals, or fossils. Actually, what she has the most of are My Sims figures.

She is also learning handiness -- the adventurous way.

Gretchen is determined to get an A and has started to learn how to cook -- garden salad to start with.

Balthazar is a child still, but has only one more aspiration to go -- Whiz Kid.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 15)
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
Awww, my sweet Gretchen is getting all grown up!  She's such a uniquely beautiful blend of Zoe and Vlad's features.
I loved the "paint on the lips" conversation.  Just glorious stuff!
Loved the Fiddler on the Roof reference at the beginning.  My Dad sang that song at my aunt's wedding and at my sister's wedding.

anything