Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99107 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 15)
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
The different variations of your Vlad-and-Zoe pairing are so fascinating!
And what a charming explanation of why the girls end up dressing the way they do.

I laughed at that shot of Vlad and Nadia ardently gaming together, with J sitting glumly on the side. Haha, how true, no one would doubt the identity of Nadia's father.

How surprising to hear about the computer and chess table at Vlad's store.
I've seen screenshots somewhere of a retail store where the simmer only sold computers and thought computers would be a lucrative source of income.
Could Vlad avoid unsolicited use of the computer/chess table at the store by removing the chairs?

Vlad has so many offspring that I've lost count. I imagine training them all must take a considerable amount of his time.
Looking forward to Balthazar's birthday. I'm curious whether he will continue to look like a male Zoe...

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
The portraits are so great. I'm glad Vlad is making good use of his camera store, even if the customers are giving him trouble. :)

I love how the girls turned out. I knew they were both going to look interesting, but they really didn't disappoint. I'm curious about how they'll dress once they're out of the house and away from their father's old-fashioned influence.

I'm excited for Balthazar's teen birthday, too!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
Chapter 16 -- A Sense of Mystery

One day when Vlad turned on his computer, he found a message from the Watcher:
Vlad, you've been neglecting your duties.

"How can you say that?" he wrote back angrily. I've been playing chess with Zoe to help her get promoted.

"I've been playing chess with Gavin for the same reason.

"And I've even forced a game upon my bored and exhausted son. And in doing all that, I've managed to reach the heights of the logic skill."

I wasn't referring to your work towards the 200 points.("260, when you count all the negatives for being a vampire," Vlad muttered.)Your work there has been exemplary, and I hope all your descendants make as rapid progress as you have. But I did have other reasons for bringing vampires into the Sim world.
Before vampires came along, the world was a little too safe and much too boring. With nothing to fear (except fire, perhaps), Sims were not developing courage; with nothing to really tempt them, they were becoming self-indulgent. You might say they were getting fat on cheeseburgers because they'd never tasted lobster thermidor.
Have you not wondered why I didn't reprimand you for feeding so deeply from your victims when you suffered from insatiable thirst? I wanted Sims to know that there was now something fearful abroad in the night. By now, most people know someone who knows someone who was attacked by a vampire.

"Does that mean I shouldn't have said it was all a hoax?" Vlad asked.
Absolutely not. Your denial gives the whole vampire issue a sense of mystery, which is what I want. And I'd like for you to help heighten that.

Vlad stared glumly at the screen. He didn't want to ask what the Watcher wanted him to do -- that would be much too cooperative.
Vlad, are you still there?
"Yes," he typed, "hanging on your every word."
I'll keep it brief, then. What do you think of their dark forms?
"They look like unmade beds, just like everyone else in this time period."
Maybe you could tell them that. The way I see it, vampires should be a mix of terrifying, enticing, and intriguing in their appearance. What do you think?
"For once, I agree with you, Watcher," Vlad typed.
He spent a while reviewing his memories of the sparring he'd done, and then began to write.

Dear Offspring,
The time is approaching when I will not be available to teach you any more, and there is still you have much to learn. I have counselled discretion in terms of your feeding patterns, but that does not mean I wish you to become invisible. Indeed, I think your dark forms should be memorable -- enticing, intriguing, and at the same time terrifying. So far the only form I've seen that I would consider satisfactory is Luna's; the rest of you look like you pulled your garments out of the rag bag. Luna looks like her prey's dream of a tropical island escapade until she gets close enough for the prey to see her glittering eyes and fangs.
I hope to meet and spar with each of you before I have to disband our gatherings. When I summon you, be prepared to put your best foot forward.
Sincerely, Count Vladislaus

The first night Vlad sparred with Joaquin and Sofia. Here are his critiques -- "Joaquin, good -- wealthy, old-world gentlemen are always attractive; there's no aphrodisiac like money. But you still look too amiable -- your face should make your prey quiver with fear.

"You need to start developing your upper body strength. Someday, we'll have vampire hunters among us, and you'll be fighting for your life. Still, hat's off to you for keeping your hat on while sparring!"

"Sofia -- excellent, you remind me of Melusine, a young woman I knew a long time ago who would transform into a snake when angry. You are the slithery silver worm baiting a very sharp fish hook.

"Sparring is not your strong point. Indeed, I'd advise you to avoid fighting at all costs. Drink deeply from your prey or not at all; if you leave them faint and exhausted, they'll be more likely to think you were just a dream and that they're coming down with the flu. Indeed, all of you who are not in peak physical condition with the powers of vampiric strength should heed this advice."

The next day, there was a very special occasion in Vlad's life: Balthazar became a teen.

He turned out looking just like his mother, and Vlad sighed over the fact that he would have to become a good vampire and eventually "normal."

With a little help from his Father in dressing, Balthazar was quite the handsome lad.

The next night, Vlad met with Paolo and Diego. Here's his critique of Paolo: "Perfect. You won't have any trouble getting prey to invite you into their homes.

"Good at fighting, too. I can foresee a time when the student might surpass the teacher."

Diego wasn't interested in sparring, so Vlad wasn't able to critique his dark form. The only advice he had for Diego was to work out more and build up his shoulders.

As for Gretchen and Nadia -- Gretchen has started on her portraits. She's also collecting postcards.

While Nadia is solidifying her relationship with Malcolm. No romance yet, but they're friends.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline wfgodot

• ello beastie
  • Occult
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 16)
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »
Nadia turned out exactly like Vlad.  It's wonderful!  She looks like a storybook character.

Balthazar is gorgeous.

I really like Joaquin's dark form.
Add "maice" on Origin.
Behren Blog

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
Sofia looks like she should be a member of the X-Men.
I'm glad to see Vlad taking a more active role with his mentoring of his vampire children.  I'm rather amused that he was fine with Paolo's pirate look.  Pretty funny stuff!
I'm glad Gretchen snuck into the update, even if it was just a side/back view.  Not that I have favorites, but I totally do and they're her!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2017, 07:35:43 PM »
What great dark forms you've chosen for Joaquim, Sofia, and Paolo! I would never have recognized Sofia! Joaquim either, for that matter.

Wow, Balthazar still looks so much like Zoe! What a handsome sim!

Awww, it warms my heart to see Malcolm looking so happy! Nice going, Nadia!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2017, 08:31:22 AM »
@oshizu, a couple of posts back, you suggested removing the chairs from the computer and chess table at the camera store -- I took away the computer and chess board entirely.

@PeregrineTook, Gretchen will be getting her very own chapter, either 18 or 19.

The rest of this post is about some of the "mechanics" I'm using, so you can skip it if you're just interested in the story. It will be about chapter arrangement, traits, and vampire spouses.

Chapter arrangement -- Since I'll be splitting into 3 lines eventually, I'll probably play each line for a week and write 1 or 2 chapters about that line. Each line will have its own section. Since some of you (Pippin) might be interested in only one character, I'll put the chapters in order under each character. So Gretchen's section might start with Chapter 18, then go to 21, 24, etc.

Traits -- I'm randomizing traits, but I also want to use all (or nearly all) the traits in each bloodline. In addition, for example, I don't want an angelic toddler to be given the evil or mean trait. I've assigned two traits to each toddler trait (angelic leads to good or cheerful), so Balthazar got the cheerful trait when he became a child. Because Vlad was evil, a loner, and a music lover, those traits were checked off when I hit the randomized button, and when Balthazar's first child is born, it won't get the cheerful trait or any of Vlad's traits. And Vlad's traits, Balthazar's traits, and Balthazar's first child's traits will all be taken off the board for Balthazar's grandchild. Doubtless I'll screw up somewhere along the line and give some child in Gen 7 a trait he shouldn't have, but that's my system.

Vampire spouses -- The curse laid upon Vlad's descendants is that their vampire spouses will choose when they decide to quit being a vampire. The way they "decide" is this: I have a 20-sided die. Each evil, mean, hot-headed or hates children spouse will be cured on the free day when I throw a number that's divisible by 3. Spouses who don't have the negative traits will be cured on the free day when I throw an even number. Of course, there's always the possibility of death by sunlight.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2017, 08:48:20 AM »
Such an awesome idea to randomly roll a d20 to determine their fate.  I actually started a decadynasty in Sims 3 in the same way!  Great minds, am I right?
And yes, I am all sorts of Team Gretchen, but I'll still follow the other kids' stories and hope for good things for them...I'll just hope for better things for Gretchen  ;=)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
It was very interesting to read about how you've set up your challenge.
How do you anticipate your challenge will play out?
Do you aim for each of the three heirs to each play a variation of your TenGen Townie challenge, with Vlad as Gen1? Or has Vlad's generation become a prologue?

Looking forward to reading about the new lives of your three very different heirs.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »
@PeregrineTook, Great minds do think alike!

@oshizu, Vlad is Generation 1. As for how my challenge will play out -- I have no idea. With 200 points to gain in each generation, it's difficult to plan. If I get to the point where all the skills have been used for points in one bloodline, then I'll start on a second round, but other than that I don't know.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
Oh, I love the dark form critique! That really is the main problem with vampires; the lame, unscary dark forms. I love Vlad's description of them looking like "unmade beds." :) He's done a good job of reforming them, though. Sofia is terrifyingly beautiful and Paolo . . . yup. No problem getting into anyone's house. Who's at the door at 2 a.m.? Oh, a sexy pirate? Come on in!

Thanks so much for explaining your mechanics going forward. I'm mostly about the story, but I really like knowing what your guidelines are for playing.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
Oh, I love the dark form critique! That really is the main problem with vampires; the lame, unscary dark forms. I love Vlad's description of them looking like "unmade beds." :) He's done a good job of reforming them, though. Sofia is terrifyingly beautiful and Paolo . . . yup. No problem getting into anyone's house. Who's at the door at 2 a.m.? Oh, a sexy pirate? Come on in!

Thanks so much for explaining your mechanics going forward. I'm mostly about the story, but I really like knowing what your guidelines are for playing.

You think the same way I do. I could have said more about Paolo's dark form, but I didn't want to get any warning notes from some other moderator, lol. Sadly, you've probably seen the best of the bunch.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »

@oshizu, Vlad is Generation 1. As for how my challenge will play out -- I have no idea. With 200 points to gain in each generation, it's difficult to plan. If I get to the point where all the skills have been used for points in one bloodline, then I'll start on a second round, but other than that I don't know.

What I meant to ask is whether, even with three heirs, the overall challenge would last for ten generations.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »
Chapter 17 -- Passing the Torch

Vlad wasn't pleased with the outfit that Gretchen wore for work. "Peasants dressed better than that in my day," he complained. "You look like a beggar. And why do you wear your hat backwards?"

"It's the fashion, Father," said Gretchen. "It helps convince the little kids that I'm cool. As for the clothes -- I really don't want them drooling, crying, or bleeding on what I usually wear."

Nadia's work clothes weren't much of an improvement. "At least your hat is turned the right way round," Vlad groused. "And I suppose the patches are better than rips."

"The patches are because I do a lot of kneeling when gardening," Nadia explained patiently.

Vlad just sighed. He'd never expected to become a fashion consultant, but between his daughters and his offspring, he was spending a lot of time thinking about clothes. Everyone had made an effort after he wrote to them; it was just that some efforts were more successful than others.

"Nina, the outfit's okay, but you have to do something about your hair. That long red mane is very distinctive, and you don't want your prey to make the connection between your dark form and your 'human' form."

"Morgan -- excellent. I don't know whether you're trying to emulate a cat or a spider, but your spider-cat look is both attractive and a little scary. I think it will be successful."

"Shea -- I realize you picked this out when you were a teen, but keep in mind that your prey will probably be too old to welcome visits from the tooth fairy. You look quite pretty, but I think Hallowe'en is the only night you should go hunting."

"Farhan -- this is...colorful, all right. I suppose it would work with prey who are attracted to lounge lizards. You don't look like an unmade bed -- I'll give you that."

"Wren -- I suppose the grim reaper outfit is frightening enough, and your glowing red eyes work when you have them open."

"Wolfgang and Cassandra, aside from being undead, zombies and vampires have nothing in common. Zombies are repulsive, we're alluring; zombies are mindless, we have always had a reputation for intelligence and culture. Please find some other 'look.' And Cassandra, you have a distinctive hairstyle, too. Either wear a hat or change your hair."

"Diego -- I'm not sure what kind of prey you're trying to appeal to -- soccer players, maybe? Showing off your tattoos is a good idea, but a better idea if you have the muscles for them."

Vlad took a moment to demonstrate his own "guns." "Just because you're lean, doesn't mean you can't be 'ripped,'" he said. "Is that the right word -- ripped?"

"Malcolm -- like the tooth fairy, you should only go out on Hallowe'en. If you insist on looking like a legionnaire" -- "Hoplite," Malcolm corrected. "Hoplite, then, keep the helmet and sandals, build up your muscles and go topless with a kilt."

"And finally, Travis, your vampire clown is definitely the most terrifying dark form I've seen. But unless you're fleet of foot, I suggest you change to something that won't cause everyone who sees you to run away."

Critiquing his offspring had been tiring work, but dealing with a teen-aged vampire was even worse. Making sure he did homework was the least of Vlad's worries.

Balthazar at least had the sense to stay away from the food of normal Sims, but he always waited a long time before availing himself of the plasma packs that Vlad ordered for him. And he didn't seem to like the fruit at all.

Harder still was making sure that he didn't go outside with his friends. Vlad took care of that by inviting him to play chess downstairs, but there were other things that both of them would rather do.

Vlad got his last point from becoming good friends with Diego Lobo. He sat down at Diego's computer for a moment and couldn't help noticing that it was a very nice one. There was still some advice he had to give his offspring, so he started typing.

Dear Offspring,
I've told some of you some of this, but I know I haven't told everyone everything, except perhaps to stay out of the sun and to avoid the "insatiable thirst" flaw.
I want all of you to keep in mind that you are hunters and predators. Do wolves eat their young? No. Do they foul their dens? No. Popular fiction (books and movies) has given rise to the notion that feeding off someone is an act of love. It is not. Humans feel sick afterwards. If I find out that any of you has taken a drop of plasma from any of my descendants, you will feel my wrath. Don't hunt in your own neighborhood, don't ask your friends for a bite, and certainly don't prey upon your family.
There is also the strange notion that 'real' vampires don't use plasma packs. In my day, except for vampires afflicted with insatiable thirst, feeding from humans was confined to special feast days like Carnival (the name itself comes from the Latin for blood and not just because it was the last time before Lent that humans could eat red meat). The main reason was that it was the only time when humans were out at night, and yes, nowadays you have joggers, but the point is that our diet was mainly plasma fruit and the packs we made ourselves from frogs and fish. Feeding on humans does have its perils -- if they're sick, you'll come down with whatever disease they have. Don't feel like you're less of a vampire because you rely on plasma packs -- I lost my parents and my first love to plasma-borne diseases that they picked up on Carnival.
Finally, there are no vampire hunters among the normal Sims -- yet. There soon will. Build up your strength and be discreet.
This is the last time I'll be writing you, and I will soon disband our clubs. Farewell, Count Vladislaus IV

Vlad clicked "send" and sat for a moment. Soon, another message appeared.
You've done well, Vlad. If I thought you'd appreciate praise from me, I'd tell you that I was proud of you. I'll be switching my attention to your three children now. Go home and tell Zoe that you and she have done a wonderful job raising them. Farewell to you, Watcher

Vlad did go home and give Zoe a long hug. But all the time, his thoughts were on the future. What might he not do without the Watcher's interference?

"Miss Y.B., I presume?"

Vlad's Final Stats (200 pts)
Skills: 36 -- violin, piano, singing, guitar
Promotions: 43 -- Vlad, 9; J, 6; Gavin, 7; Mitch, 6; Zoe, 7; Gretchen, 3; Nadia, 3; Balthazar, 2
1000 Satisfaction Points: 19
Good Friends: 13 -- Nadia, Gretchen, and Balthazar Straud, Zoe Patel, Sofia Bjergsen, Cassandra Goth, Joaquin le Chien, Paolo Rocca, Luna Villareal, Gavin Richards, Malcolm Landgraab, Nina Caliente, and Diego Lobo
$30,000 Added: 26
$10,000 Added from Store: 1 -- Point & Shoot
Maxed Skills/Aspirations/Job: 96 -- Vlad, charisma, vampire lore, piano, violin, painting, photography, singing, guitar, handiness, video gaming, logic,  22; Gretchen, potty, imagination, thinking, movement, social, motor, creativity, and mental, 16; Nadia, potty, imagination, communication, thinking, social, motor, creativity, and mental, 16; Balthazar, potty, imagination, thinking, communication, motor, and creative, 12; Gavin, writing, 2/ Vlad, Master Vampire and Musical Genius, 4/Gretchen, Rambunctious Scamp, Artistic Prodigy, Whiz Kid, 6; Nadia, Rambunctious Scamp, Social Butterfly, Artistic Prodigy, and Whiz Kid, 8; Balthazar, Rambunctious Scamp and Artistic Prodigy, 4/Vlad, Social Media -- Internet Superstar, 2; Mitch, Culinary -- Celebrity Chef, 2; Gretchen, Babysitter -- Daycare Assistant, 2
Places Visited/Festivals: 15  -- Planet Honey Pop, Chez Llama, Skye Fitness, The Futures Past, Municipal Muses, Rattlesnake Juice Bar, Burners and Builders, The Solar Flare, The Bluffs, The Roadstead, Point & Shoot, Myshuno Meadows, Villa Bovine, Von Haunt Estate/Humor & Hijinks Festival
Negatives: -49 -- controlled vampire, -40; fire, -4, Gavin and Balthazar; pass out, -5, Mitch, Gavin, Balthazar, Zoe, J
Grand Total = 200 pts

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 18)
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
Nina's dark form was wonderful!  I disagree with the Count:  she should leave her perfect hair just as it is  ;=)
It's been really fun following Vlad and Zoe's adventures.  I'm looking forward to seeing how things go for the children (and yes, Gretchen most of all).