Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99075 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 18)
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
Vlad's response to his daughters' work outfits was too funny.
I really enjoyed seeing the different dark forms.
Vlad's remarks about their dark forms were just as entertaining as the dark forms themselves.
Quite surprising was how handsome Malcolm looked as a Hoplite and how much the dreads changed Wolfgang's appearance.
Lol, I'd never expected to see Vlad showing off his guns!

Balthazar is gorgeous, but I'm rooting for Nadia and hope she becomes a hunter. (But this challenge isn't a rivalry, oops!)
I've loved how you switch between dialogue, narration, and the epistolary style. This is such a great read!

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »
The thought of a vampire clown is truly scary. Good luck to the kids!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »
Chapter 18 -- Responsibilities

Have you ever felt totally overwhelmed? I mean, usually I'm confident and competent and energetic, but when Father handed over the management of the household to me, I was like whoa! I'm not ready for this. It didn't help that he reminded me that he'd handled a job and raising us as toddlers and mentoring his vampire offspring and working on skills while all I had to do was the cooking, the cleaning, and repairs plus some painting and collecting things. It didn't help that I was running on orange when I got the notification. And it really didn't help that Mother reminded me that today was J's, Gavin's, and Mitch's birthday and it would be nice if I made them a cake. I'm sorry, guys. The cake didn't happen. I was just too tired.

I felt better after a nap. Okay, still a little cranky because Nadia's off playing blicbloc while I'm fixing dinner for 6, but her turn will come, snicker, snicker. And I actually don't mind cooking -- it's something Father rarely did, so he doesn't have any advice to offer.

One task that Father had to deal with for only a short time was monitoring Balthazar (and Father for that matter). Because they're vampires they can't stay out in the sun long, and both of them have a bad habit of staying out front to chat when they get home from work and school. Neither Balthazar nor I like chess much (too many memories of Father pouncing with his queen and saying "meckchate!"), but it's the only way I know of to get him safely downstairs.

Lucky for me, once Father started playing the violin, Balthazar went to listen, and that kept them both occupied while I contacted my pen pals and asked for postcards. Here's what I wrote:

Hi!
My name's Gretchen, and I love sports. My favorite is basketball but I'm looking forward to when I can go bowling. I'd love to hear from you. Send a postcard to:
   Gretchen Straud
   Cacti Casa
   Oasis Springs

Blech, right? But people actually responded. I have a back-and-forth thing going with someone from Dragon Valley (archery, I'm so envious) and Isla Paradiso (if I could swim in the ocean and go diving that would be so cool, I'd just die).

Repairs -- first the virtual reality thing went and then the stove. Nadia reminded me that I could pick up handiness skill from repairing them -- assuming I didn't die -- but Balthazar said, why not call a repairman? We don't have to worry about points any more.

So that's what I did.

I was in a hurry to get moving because someone (Sofia Bjergsen) had told me that Paolo Rocca usually shows up at the Skye Fitness Gym a few hours before daybreak. Father wants me to marry Paolo and ordinarily I would object to that -- strongly -- except that Paolo is such a hunk that I can't say no. In fact, I usually can't say much around him because I have such a huge crush, but today things were going to be different.

Ugh. Instead of saying nothing, I gushed about what a great athlete I thought he was. "I'm still just a locker room attendant," he said. "Basketball?" I managed to squeak out before sinking into the floor. "Sure, why not?" he responded.

The sun was rising as we went up to the court, and a helicopter was taking off, which I'd never seen before. The whole scene was tailor-made for a romantic moment -- except that I was still a teen and Paolo would die in the sunlight if he stayed outside.

Even so, I couldn't help mentioning it. "Spectacular view," I said. "Yeah," he said absently, like he was thinking of something else.
I gave up trying to impress him with my sparkling wit and concentrated on making my shots. "You're not half-bad," he said, after we'd shot a few rounds. "I might have to stop missing on purpose."
"You did not!" I said indignantly.
"Yeah, I did -- the first couple times anyway. I know how much you hate to lose."
A dim recollection of a video game I'd lost, followed by some sulking, surfaced..."That was when I was a child," I said.

All of a sudden, the gym trainer came barreling in and not only dunked but hung on the basket. I was appalled, and Paolo did that hissy-scratchy thing that Father sometimes does when he's annoyed. We decided to leave, and I felt pretty bummed, but then Paolo said, "Want to come over to my house and play foosball? I promise I won't let you win."

He didn't let me win -- far from it, but then it was my first time playing foosball. I was tempted to point that out, but kept my mouth shut. Then Paolo said, "You know that last shot you took? That would have totally gone in if Misty hadn't been in the way." "Yeah," I said. "Hey -- the sun was shining through the windows by the time we left -- how come you weren't affected?" "All the windows in Uptown have a special UV filter, and it's the UV rays that are harmful to vampires. So you could marry Diego if you wanted."
I made a gagging noise -- okay, totally juvenile -- but Paolo just laughed. "That was fun -- we'll have to do that again sometime." It was a definite dismissal, and the next thing I knew I was on my way home.

I spent the rest of the morning working on my last painting -- the one of Balthazar. And later that day, the mail came, completing my postcard collection. Since I had an A (which was why Father let me use vacation days to stay home from school) and since I'd reached the top of the babysitter career, I was now eligible to have my next birthday. I whipped up a cake and put candles on it before sticking it in the fridge. By that time, Nadia and Balthazar were home from school, so I dragged Balthazar in from outside and took a nap until it was dark.

Ah yes, gazing at the stars, a wonderful way to get to know someone, yes? No. After two minutes Paolo said, "I'm not good at making small talk when I've got other stuff on my mind. Plus, there's a cobblestone sticking into my shoulder blade. We'll talk about some things later, okay?"
"Yeah, sure," I said. "I've got to go hang some pictures."

I put Father's portrait in the front parlor, taking down all the other pictures except the portrait of Great Great Grand Sire. I didn't even want to think about how many great greats there'd be if my descendants managed to complete the dynasty. Had Paolo said "some thing" or "some things?"

My postcard collection went next to Father's photographs in the cellar. If Paolo had said "some thing," that might mean he wanted to talk about this whole arranged marriage thing and why it was a bad idea.

I put the rest of the family portraits in the piano alcove. On the other hand, "some things" might refer to who we'd invite to the wedding and how many children we'd have and whether we'd put a bowling lane in the basement.

When I left the alcove, Paolo was sitting at the bar.
"I fixed you a drink," he said. "Don't get excited -- it's just apple juice. I know Vlad would kill me if I tried to ply you with alcohol.  And he could do it, too. I'm no match for him, not yet."
"He likes you," I said.
"Yeah, I know he's got this idea that you should marry me," said Paolo.
All of a sudden, I didn't like the way this conversation was going. "I'm having my birthday tonight," I said brightly. "Come on, let's go get some cake."

"Pink?" Nadia queried.
"It's my favorite color," I said.
"And my least favorite," she countered.
"Hey, if you don't like it, you can fix your own cake." I blew out the candles.
Nadia stood up, and for a second I thought she was going to throw her salad at me, but it turned out she had a handful of confetti.
And then some more confetti came from the kitchen and I turned and saw Paolo grinning at me.

He came and sat down at the table with me. At that moment, the room that had been empty (except for Nadia) suddenly filled with people, including my mother in her baby doll pajamas and J going topless. It was only a matter of time before someone asked when the wedding was going to be and Paolo and I hadn't even flirted yet.
"Sun's coming up," I said. "Paolo, you'd better run."
"Run with me," he suggested.

Paolo was beginning to smoke by the time we got to Windenburg Estates. "There's some stuff we need to discuss," he said. "Inside," I said. "Now."

Well maybe that hadn't been the brightest idea. He introduced me to his housemate, Eva Cappadocia (or something like that).

Hostility oozed off her like embers off a burning vampire. And then, while her back was to him, Paolo positively leered at me, and I didn't know whether to laugh or blush. Or leer back, but I couldn't with Eva watching me. So I said "Bye," and left. To be continued? Yeah, I think definitely to be continued.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
Awww, my little Gretchen's all grown up and crushing on Paolo.  He'd better spoil her rotten as she deserves!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »
Chapter 19 -- The Course of True Love...

The next day passed very very slowly. I watered Nadia's plants. Paolo had told me he wouldn't get off work until 9 pm, so I took a nap. When I got up, I found out that the Romance Festival would be in San Myshuno.

"How long will it last?" I asked Mother.
"Until 1 am. I think your father will understand if you're out a little late."

I still had two hours before Paolo got off work, but I just couldn't stay around the house any longer. I went downtown and got something to eat at one of the stands -- mapo tofu pork, and boy was it hot! Not hot like Paolo, just hot.

Finally it was 9 pm, and Paolo showed up. "Before we do anything else, let me make sure I have your number on my speed dial," he said.

I didn't want to wait any longer. "I'm not a teen any more," I said, and I planted a kiss on him. He was a little surprised, but he didn't wipe his mouth and say yecch. Okay, I'm joking. He asked me to be his girlfriend.

We called the Romance Guru (Guruess?) over and asked her if she had any advice for a young couple. "As long as you're in love, you'll stay forever young," she pronounced. "Truer than she knows," Paolo muttered in my ear. She smiled benignly and told us where the Sakura tea could be found.

Paolo and I took some tea and immediately decided that there were too many people around. He led me away from the crowd to the back of some warehouse. "We still have a few things to discuss," he said.

"Well, I hope it's not that you think I'm too skinny," I said.
"Gretchen, you're perfect," he said. "You couldn't be more perfect if you tried."

"Good," I said, and I dropped to one knee.
"Whoa, Gretchen, wait!" said Paolo.

I stood up again, devastated. "Don't you love me?" I asked. I hated that my voice was shaky.
"Of course I love you," said Paolo. "But don't you want to wait until you can be sure that it's us getting married and not the Sakura tea?"
No, not really, I thought, but Paolo was still talking. "There's so much we don't know about each other," he said. "I'm quite a bit older than you -- not 300 years older like your father --"
"274," I put in.
"-- but I was already a grown man when you were born. Don't you want to know how many old girlfriends I have?"
I shrugged. "I guess."
"Well, none since I was turned. And my high school girlfriend and I are just acquaintances now."

"I don't have any old boyfriends," I said.
"And that's one reason we should wait. I'm practically the only man you've ever known. We've got plenty of time, especially if  you become a vampire."
"I'm not going to become a vampire," I said. "Where did  you get that idea? And we don't have 'plenty of time.' If I want to lift the curse, I have a week to get married and pregnant."
"Wait, what's this about a curse?"
So I explained about how Father had angered the Watcher and this witch. Paolo had thought that Father was trying to fill the world with vampires, so I had to tell him it wasn't like that. I had to marry a vampire so I could suffer like my mother had suffered --
"Well, I hope you don't suffer with me," he interposed.
-- and I had to take a chance that I'd have a vampire child, but if I did, the child would have to stop being a vampire before he could move out. Anyway, by the time I finished explaining all this -- Paolo interrupting with hand squeezes and kisses -- it was nearly morning.

"I get off work tomorrow at 9 again," said Paolo. "We'll pick up where we left off, okay?"
And he gave me a long, lingering kiss, so I'd know exactly where we left off. "Remember to bring a cake!" he called, just before he disappeared.

Father was waiting when I got back -- not to scold me for staying out until 6 am, but to find out how things stood between Paolo and me. "We're good," I said. "He thought you wanted to fill the world with vampires, but I told him that was wrong."

The next day passed even more slowly than the one before, if that was possible, but I slept through much of it.

"Did you remember the cake?" was the first thing Paolo asked me. "You know there's a wedding arch here."

He proposed this time. "Gretchen, I can't say I fell in love with you the first time I saw you, because you were about three at the time, and that would make me a pervert. But I do remember thinking that it would be nice to have a little brown-haired urchin who looked like you running around my house some day. I'm not good with words, but I know that having you in my life will make me the happiest guy in the world, and I promise never to let you win at basketball again."
So I kissed him and said yes.

Unfortunately, it turned out that the wedding arch at Myshuno Meadows was under repair. As was the one in Magnolia Blossom Park in Willow Creek. "Let's just get married here," Paolo whispered in my ear. "You couldn't look any more beautiful in a wedding dress than you do right now, and your family's here."

So we got married, and Mother sang "O Promise Me" for us.

A little while later, confetti fell again when I realized I was pregnant.

As I fell asleep, I had two thoughts. The first was that I'd forgotten to tell Paolo that the witch's curse meant we'd have the lot traits On Ley Line, Mean Vibe, and Penny Pixies. The second was that I'd have to get out to the park and take the wedding topper off the cake so the crazy people hanging out there could eat it.

Gretchen's Moving in Stats
Traits: self-assured, active, slob
Portraits: Vlad, Zoe, J, Gavin, Balthazar, Mitch, Nadia, and a selfie, worth $1259
Collection: postcards, worth $885
Satisfaction Points: 2450
Household Income: $16,279

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 20)
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »
Awww, dear sweet Gretchen finds her awkward Romeo.  They're really sweet together.  It wasn't love at first sight because she was three.  Oh my goodness!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 20)
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2017, 04:42:10 PM »
Chapter 20 -- Nadia's Museum

"We need to talk," Gretchen said as she slid onto the stool next to Nadia's.
"Now?" said Nadia. "Because I just got back from work, and I'm kind of tired."
"Yes, now," said Gretchen. "Because I'll be meeting Paolo as soon as it gets dark, and if all goes as planned, I'll be getting married and probably won't see you for a while. You're not really serious about marrying Malcolm, are you? Paolo says he's evil."

"Father's evil," said Nadia, "and we've survived. Are you going to tell me that Malcolm's the kind of guy who would destroy a kid's dollhouse? How many times did Father do that? But he always repaired it afterwards.

"Look, I know that Malcolm's not in love with me the way that Paolo is with you, and that he never will be. But is anyone ever going to fall in love with me? Not likely, with my face. And I'd just as soon not go around carrying a torch for someone who'll see our father every time he looks at me. And speaking of Father, you know he's determined to bring the Goths and the Landgraabs into the family. And since Balthazar can't marry Malcolm..."

Nadia stopped talking for a moment and looked over to where Balthazar was dancing to the stereo. His eyes closed, he was quite oblivious to the world around him.
"What?" said Gretchen.
Nadia shook her head. "You know how sometimes you start to have a thought but you just can't grasp it?"
"Constantly in algebra," said Gretchen.
"Well, it will come back to me if I leave it alone," said Nadia. "Does Balthazar know about Father's plan for him?"
"Probably," said Gretchen, "although we haven't seen Cassandra in a while. But don't try and change the subject. Are you sure you can go through this with Malcolm?"

"I'll be fine," said Nadia. "And I've got a few ideas about how to deal with Malcolm if he gives me any trouble."

Later, though, Nadia tried to bring up the subject with her father. "People say that Malcolm's evil," she began. There wasn't any response from Vlad except the usual grunts that came from someone who was trying to steer Windenburg Jones through the Pyramid of Danger. "You know, Father, I'm planning to wear shorts to Gretchen's wedding," she tried. There was still no response so Nadia gave up.

The next day, she started to work on the last household painting for her museum. Belatedly, she realized she didn't have a museum yet. She could use the museum in Newcrest, of course, but she wanted something that felt more like hers. "Hey Malcolm," she called. "Come on over, there's something I want to talk to you about."

"You know I'll be finishing up my requirements for becoming an adult pretty soon, don't you? I was wondering if you'd like to come and look at my new museum with me."
Malcolm yawned. "To tell you the truth, I'm kind of sleepy. I was thinking of going home and catching a few z's."
Nadia watched his retreating back. "I'll get you for that Malcolm," she said. "Just wait till we're married -- you'll see."

Nadia loved her new museum. It was brightly colored, both outside...

...and in, with cubicles for the collections and portraits of every generation. Let Gretchen have Straud Mansion and Balthazar the bigger more museum-like place. She was quite happy with her place, small though it was.

Almost as soon as it was finished, she got a notification that GeekCon was getting started in San Myshuno. Nadia was getting tired herself, but she had to go. She didn't have enough points for a moodlet solver elixir, but she could get them if she found another frog. Surely there was a log or water pump around somewhere.

At the festival, Nadia won a prize in the UGT competition -- $100 and a fortune cube. She made a promise to herself that she'd win the top prize next time.

She took a selfie with someone in a Llamaman suit. He turned out to be Johnny Zest, a relation of the Landgraabs and a stand-up comedian who knew Mitch. They exchanged a few jokes, and soon became friends. Johnny told her that he lived in Oasis Springs, too, "in a trailer. The Landgraabs want me to move so they can bulldoze it and put up a fancy mansion, but I'm staying put," he said. Nadia was sorry to say good-bye to him. He seemed much nicer than his cousin, but she knew her father would never let her marry someone who lived in a trailer.

Back at home, she got a call from Gretchen. "I don't feel like cooking," she said, "and Paolo's at work. Meet me at Chez Llama?"

"I was hoping they'd have lobster thermidor," said Gretchen, perusing the menu. "Or maybe some pineapple? I don't know -- you pick. Being pregnant is the pits, but I guess I shouldn't discourage you. It's just I have these cravings, but then I throw up whatever it was that I wanted."

Nadia took the menu. "How does glacier-infused lettuce sound to you?"
"Dull," said Gretchen.
"Then you'll probably be able to keep it down," said Nadia.

"Oh, look, isn't that Caleb Vatore? He is so sweet; I don't know why Father didn't want any of us to marry him."
"I think it's because he disapproved of Father's plans," said Nadia.
"Speaking of plans, when will you become an adult?"
"Soon," Nadia said. "I went to Geekcon this morning instead of painting. Speaking of which, I won this."

She stood up and asked the Fortune Cube what her love life would be like.
"Nonexistent" was the Cube's answer.

Nadia started to cry. "I know Malcolm doesn't love me," she sobbed, "but what if it turns out he's horrible?"

"Now, now, I'm the one that's supposed to be hormonal," said Gretchen. "Come and eat your glacier-infused lettuce. If Malcolm so much as raises his pinky finger to you, I'll, I'll get him to come and cloud-gaze with me at noon, and poof! he'll be gone. After you get pregnant, of course."
"But what if he doesn't want to..."
"He will," Gretchen said reassuringly. "And I bet you won't have to give him any Sakura tea, either."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- March 21)
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
I am so looking forward to Nadia striking out on her own! Everything about her is quirky. I love how she's so positive, knowing that she looks like her father.
Actually, I quite like her pale skin and red hair.  *raises Team Nadia banner

Nadia's colorful museum is also quite different from what I imagine her siblings will choose.
As her fortunes increase, may she return to enlarge it, if necessary? (This is question about your rules, rather than asking for future plot details.)
I'm also enjoying the relationship between the sisters. The younger Balthazar seems to exist in a different world, lol.

Best wishes to Nadia on her conquest of Malcolm Landgraab.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
I am so looking forward to Nadia striking out on her own! Everything about her is quirky. I love how she's so positive, knowing that she looks like her father.
Actually, I quite like her pale skin and red hair.  *raises Team Nadia banner

Nadia's colorful museum is also quite different from what I imagine her siblings will choose.
As her fortunes increase, may she return to enlarge it, if necessary? (This is question about your rules, rather than asking for future plot details.)
I'm also enjoying the relationship between the sisters. The younger Balthazar seems to exist in a different world, lol.

Best wishes to Nadia on her conquest of Malcolm Landgraab.

As far as the rules are concerned, she could, but it's on that long narrow lot in Newcrest, so she probably won't. I think there's enough room for everything, but taking screenshots there is tricky.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »
That's my sweet Gretchen taking care of her sister! 
Poor Nadia.  Maybe she should just run off with her "zesty" new fella   ;=)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »
Chapter 21 -- Short, Sweet, and Red

Nadia was up early the next day, taking everything over to her museum. First she put in her crystal collection.

Then she added her father's portrait to the Heirs' Gallery at the back.

Finally, she placed her pictures of the rest of the household.

She made sure that the plasma fruit trees for her father and Balthazar were in good condition.

And she played a game of chess with her mother.

Finally, it was almost dark. Nadia blew out her candles, and Mitch sounded a trumpet for her. (And her brain-dead Watcher failed to add her third trait).

Not long after that, she was flirting with Malcolm over dinner at Villa Bovine. He'd called her for a date earlier, but when she showed up, he'd had to leave because he was too tired.

Nadia gave him her number again before ordering. He kissed his phone when it rang, and she took that as a good sign. He didn't want anything to eat, but Nadia had a bowl of butternut squash soup. And then Malcolm complained of being tired again. By now Nadia was beginning to worry -- she'd seen how low her father and Balthazar could get on energy, and Malcolm seemed even lower.

She followed him back to his house and kissed him...

...then asked him to be her boyfriend.
Malcolm's enthusiastic response gave her courage.

In time-honored Sim tradition, she proposed in the bathroom.

Malcolm accepted.

They exchanged vows...

...and were married.

Not everything happened in the bathroom, of course.

But that's where Nadia found out she was pregnant.

Nadia's Stats on Moving in
Traits: goofball, geek
Portraits: Zoe , Balthazar, Gretchen, Gavin, J, Mitch, Vlad, selfie, worth $1170
Collection: crystals, worth $435
Satisfaction Points: 170
Household Income: $86,437

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:53 PM »
Well, Malcolm had better be good to her or my Gretchen will be coming after him!
Can't wait to see the nooboo!!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:48 PM »
Way to reel Malcolm in and seal the deal, Nadia!

Haha, how did they end up in the bathroom for the proposal?
Nadia looks so pleased with herself in the last shot! Can't say I blame her!

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2017, 01:35:26 AM »
Gretchen and Paolo's courtship was wonderfully sweet, but now I'm leaning toward Team Nadia. She's got such spunk! I really like her museum. It's so colorful, and such a unique style!

I loved the sisterly bonding over dinner.

I'm also very excited for Balthazar's turn in the spotlight. He's a bit of an enigma right now, and possibly a little spacy, but I'm eager to learn more!

So glad to see that Miss Y.B. has not been forgotten. Nadia may not want to carry a torch, but it certainly seems as it Vlad does!

This story continues to delight at every turn!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
Chapter 22 -- Fishing

I like fishing. No concerns except to focus on your line in the water. And it's so quiet, especially at night, which is the only time I can go. Father doesn't approve; he says that aristocrats don't fish (I guess he doesn't know how much a fly-fishing rig can cost), and that might be another reason why I like it. Since I'm a disappointment to him in so many other ways, it's possible I've chosen a hobby he doesn't like simply because he doesn't like it. But I didn't mean to start writing about Father right at the start. There are plenty of other people in my life that I enjoy thinking about more.

Like Mother. To look at her, you might think that she's a teen celebrating her entry into adulthood instead of a "gasp" grandmother. She's the funniest, kindest, friendliest person you'll ever meet -- and a good chess player, too.

And then there's my sister Gretchen. When she saw me in my work uniform, she didn't faint away in horror, but just said "Fast foods, huh? It beats being a babysitter." Gretchen's twins are the reason why Mother is now a grandmother.

I'm a little closer to my sister Nadia, partly because she's a disappointment, too. If we could exchange heads, everyone would be happy. Then there would be two beautiful Straud girls and a vampire son who was the clone of his old man. Except for the red hair, you might say, but Father says he did have red hair when he was young, until it turned white one night during the French Revolution. He brings up the French Revolution whenever I complain about anything like school or politics. I know he saw horrors I can't begin to imagine when he was my age, but that doesn't mean the current world condition is perfect.

The other plebian hobby I enjoy is cooking. That's ironic, seeing as how I'm a vampire who would get sick if I tried to eat what I cook. But I won't be a vampire all my life. Thanks to some sort of family curse, I have to be cured of vampirism before I leave the house. But I also have to marry a vampire...Father has explained it to me several times, but I can't help thinking that he's leaving a big part of it out, like who caused us to be cursed in the first place.

In fact, my ambition is to become a celebrity chef eventually, like my bro Mitch. Mother thinks that's a great idea.

When I call Mitch my bro, I don't mean that he's actually my brother. He's one of our housemates, and has always been a good friend to me. He and I and Gavin and J are all bros; we have our own special hug, and they look out for me.

Mitch has given me a list of channels that focus on cooking (he can't mentor me himself, unfortunately), and Gavin found an out-of-print copy of The Ultimate Vampire Compendium for me. Somewhere in there is a cure for vampirism that I can make when I become an adult.

And what can I say about J? He was taking a nap on the couch one day when Father started berating me for being scrawny and weak and lazy, sleeping late when I could have gotten up earlier and done some exercising. Father doesn't shout, by the way, or use swear words; he just very quietly injects a little venom into any thoughts you might have had about being a worthwhile human being or, in my case, vampire.

So later, just after it turned dark, J sat down with me and gave me a list of exercises and how many reps I should do of each. He says that when he gets his personal trainer certification, he'll try and give me some coaching, too.

I'm not sure I really want coaching, though.

Besides my family and my bros, I'm fortunate to have some good friends in the Goths. Most people think their house is dark and gloomy, but I've always found it very cheerful. I'll probably marry Cassandra when I grow up.

The one thing I really like about being a vampire is the ability to turn into a bat. You can't imagine how much fun it is to fly. Sneaking up on people and squeaking at them is fun, too.

Alexander is probably my closest friend. He's a little ahead of me at school, but we've been friends since we were children. Father arranged that, and it's the best thing he's ever done for me. When I told Alexander that I'd got a job as a fry cook, he said "Cool," and agreed to meet me when I got off work.

We lay on the sidewalk for a little while, watching the stars. "What's bothering you?" he asked. I guess Alexander could tell I wasn't my usual bubbly self.
"I'm supposed to find out what human plasma is like," I said gloomily. "He says I can't possibly decide to subsist on plasma packs and fruit until I've drunk from a human or two. He says I can ask permission if I want to be 'gentlemanly' about it."

"Well say no more," said Alexander, offering me his wrist. "You did brush your teeth first, didn't you?" He laughed at the shocked expression on my face. "Gotcha, didn't I?"
What can I say about drinking from Alexander? It was like having wine instead of fruit juice, something more potent and magical. But when he left me, I noticed he was paler, and he staggered a bit when he walked away.

He'd planned on fishing with me, and I found that I couldn't concentrate very well with him gone. Up until that moment, my only reason for undertaking the program that would lead to my being cured of vampirism was that it was part of the curse, but now I realized what damage vampires did when they drank from humans. I just hoped Alexander would still be friends with me. I'd really be lonely without him in my life.

I searched out a couple of frogs. I could breed them and make plasma packs out of them. Those and plasma fruit would be my diet from now on.

Father wasn't happy that I showed up late for training. "Out catching frogs?" he inquired with a raised eyebrow. "Oh, don't try to deny it; you stink of river water." I wasn't about to tell him that I'd drunk plasma from my friend and made him sick.
Our training session didn't go well. I knew the move he was trying to teach me; I could practically do it in my sleep, but I kept getting it wrong. "Yes, yes, you've already demonstrated you can turn into a bat," he said impatiently. "Run along now, and show up straight after your job gets out tomorrow night."

I was almost in tears when I found my mother. "Another bad session?" she asked, giving me a hug.
"I"m such a dimwit," I sighed.
"Sh, Sh, you are not." After the hug, Mother pushed me away. "I was going to wait until you became an adult, but there is something I was going to tell you. It's late now, but we'll talk again in the morning."

anything