Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99140 times)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- April 4)
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
Love the abduction idea. Sadly it never seems to work the way I want it when I try, I hope Nadia has better luck!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »
I admit that I was excited to see Malcolm finally get to be a dynasty spouse, but he's turned out to be an unsavory creature.

Oh no! How ironic that Nadia gets abducted instead! Maybe she can barter with the aliens while she's there to take her husband next time...

You mention the twins are upstairs. Did you convert that 3rd floor room into their nursery?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
Yikes! Poor Nadia! Hope she doesn't get poked and prodded too hard for her trouble. It's a good plan for putting Malcolm in his place, if not a foolproof one. :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
Yikes! Poor Nadia! Hope she doesn't get poked and prodded too hard for her trouble. It's a good plan for putting Malcolm in his place, if not a foolproof one. :)
Love the abduction idea. Sadly it never seems to work the way I want it when I try, I hope Nadia has better luck!

There's still plenty of time for Malcolm to get abducted. And actually, as long as the twins are toddlers, I'm glad Malcolm isn't pregnant just yet.

@oshizu, yes, it's that 3rd floor room. Not a good idea, if you're planning to move into the Landgraab house.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
Chapter 30 -- Revelations

My nephew Andrew greeted me when I went over to see Nadia. Well, to confront Malcolm, to be honest. I couldn't be angry around the little fellow, so sent him off to chat with one of his stuffed animals.

My anger returned in force when I saw Malcolm. I grabbed him by the shirt and literally growled at him. "If I were old enough to fight you, believe me, we'd have a duel and not a spar," I said. "It's none of your business whom I love, do you understand?"
I think I actually managed to scare Malcolm.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself when I got home, but Father took me down a peg. I had a moment's fear that someone had told him about Al and me, but it turned out he had a different reason for his ire. "How long have you known that Billie Jang and Iggy Pancakes were teens?" he demanded.
I had enough sense to realize that the answer to that question wasn't "about a week." It was "On it, sir," and I took off.

I doubted that Father would want any of his descendants to actually move into the Jangs' apartment -- it was small and very brightly colored, the kind of place Nadia might like -- but I went ahead and turned Billie anyway.

Iggy Pancakes and I had been friends as children, so I did him the courtesy of asking if he wanted to be turned. I was surprised at how good-looking he'd turned out (as a child, his nickname had been "Icky," more because of the sound than anything else), and might have been tempted if I weren't in love with Al.

Iggy said, "Awesome, dude," so I numbed him before biting his neck.

His mother arrived on the scene just as I'd finished and started scolding me. Iggy looked a bit embarrassed, so I left as soon as I could.

Back at home, I took a nap for the rest of the day (turning people really takes a lot out of you), and when I got up, I found that Father had invited Cassandra over. I excused myself for a few minutes to shower and change.

"Cassandra tells me that you're planning to marry her brother Alexander when you leave this house," said Father. His voice was quiet, almost pleasant, but his eyes were blinking rapidly.
"Yes," I said. "It's the 21st century. Same-sex marriage is acceptable these days."
"It will never be acceptable to me," he said. "I absolutely forbid you to have any further contact with Alexander."

"You can't do that," I shouted. "What if I defy you, what then?"
"I won't continue your training until you give me your word that you'll cease this abhorrent union," he said.
"But if  you don't help me train, it'll take me forever to finish my part of the curse," I complained.
"Not forever," said Father. "A very short time, really, in vampire terms. But long enough, I think, that your catamite will have found someone else."

I flung myself out of the house and went for a long run. At the end of it, I met up with Al at the park and gave him a long, impassioned kiss. "My father wants me to break up with you, but I'm not going to do it," I promised him.

Cassandra was at the park, too. "Balthazar, I'm so sorry," she said. "I had no idea -- I thought your father already knew and was okay with you and Alex. I never would have said anything -- you should have warned me."

Danica Pritchett was there with Cassandra, and we did some sparring, which helped relieve my feelings. And if Cassandra thought that some of my blows were intended for her rather than Danica, well, that was all right with me.

Later that night, back at home, I told Mother what had happened.
"I'll take care of this," she said. "Come along."

"You've got no business telling our daughter who she can and cannot love!" Mother started shouting. "If she has a preference for men, that's only natural. And don't you dare threaten her, do you hear? It's your fault that she is what she is, and you should do everything you can to make it up to her!"

I listened, stunned, as Mother explained it all to me. How Father had wanted his third and last child to be a boy and had given her a boy's name. How he'd insisted on dressing her as a boy when she was a toddler, and how he'd arranged for her gender to be changed when she became a child. "Once your father learned that you would be the only vampire in the family, he was even more determined that you would be a 'proper' heir, as he put it. I didn't have the strength to oppose him," she said, "and I thought it wouldn't make much difference to you, but I see that I was wrong. Can you ever forgive me?"

Of course I could forgive Mother. It took a firmer will than she had to oppose Father, everyone knew that. And Father agreed quite tamely to training me again. I was better at my lessons, too, now that I had a better understanding of myself.

"Wow," said Al, when I finished telling him everything. "Talk about an identity crisis. What are you going to do -- become a woman or stay a man?"
"Well, that's partly up to you," I said. "What would you like me to be?"
"Dude -- darling -- it's totally your decision," he said. "I'll love you either way."

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- April 5)
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty serious deception on Vlad's part. Not sure there's any coming back and recovering a good parent/child relationship after something like that.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »
Chapter 31 -- Fishing and Shopping

For the next couple of days, I kept coming back to the picture of me as a toddler that hung in the corner by Father's computer. That was taken when I was still a girl, I would think, but it was hard to feel any connection with the picture. One afternoon, Mother came downstairs and handed me an old photograph.

"That's you as a baby," she said, "screaming your head off, it looks like." I wasn't sure why she was showing it to me. If I couldn't connect with my 3-year-old self, I'd be even less likely to connect with an infant.
"It's proof, in case you need it," she said. "Look, the baby in the picture is wearing a yellow onesie -- that means she's a girl."

"There's a make-up table in my room," she said. "You're welcome to use it, experiment a little, see what you might look like if you changed."
I'd rarely been in Mother's room, never on my own as far as I knew. In a house filled with bros, it had seemed like a bastion of femininity.

Hesitantly, I sat down at the table. Mother and I had both forgotten one thing -- as a vampire, I'd be invisible. The powder made me sneeze.
The next day I went to school, but afterwards, I went over to Al's house.

We went farther than we'd ever gone before, and I was hoping that I might get some indication from Al of his feelings. Like, would he be "Yes, Bal, you've got to stay a man!" or "Yes, you've got to become a woman!"
When we finished kissing, Al pulled away from me. "You're not going to get me to say either way," he said. "The decision is totally up to you."
"But you've got to have some preference," I said. "You're the one who's going to be making love to me for the rest of your life. Would you rather I had a man's body or a woman's?"
"Okay, I'll give you this," said Al, "before I got involved with you, I definitely preferred women."
"All right, then," I said. "do you want me to get a figure that's more like your mother's or your sister's?"
Al shuddered. "Dude, let's not even go there. If you become a woman, you'll probably be built like your mother and sisters, which would be fine with me."
I suddenly felt kind of weird, and we dropped the subject.

The day finally came when all I needed to do to complete the Good Vampire aspiration was to harvest some plasma fruit trees and go 14 days without drinking from anyone. I'd already gone more than 14 days, but apparently that didn't count. I harvested my last tree in Forgotten Hollow before going fishing.

It was really quite beautiful here, in a gloomy, mysterious sort of way.

There was a statue of a gargoyle or werewolf or some strange beast nearby with some candles in front of it. I immediately decided that was where Al and I would get married. It felt more like us than an arch with flowers on it.

I had great luck fishing, catching a wolf eel first...

...and later a batfish. I caught a vampire squid, too, but failed to get a picture.

I took the next day off school and got a phone call from Cassandra. "Al said you were interested in going shopping?" There was definitely a question in her voice. It wasn't like she was asking "Would you like to go shopping?" but "Why on earth would you want to go shopping?" I didn't feel like explaining over the phone, so I mumbled something about having to get a present for Mother. When we got to the store, I browsed a bit among the pretty glass bottles filled with perfumes and lotions and stuff.

Eventually, I found myself looking at a dress. The hat was okay and the boots, although I didn't think I would ever wear high heels. Why ruin your feet just because you were a girl?

The shoes on the second mannequin were more practical, but the dress seemed very low-cut.
"Lets go upstairs," said Cassandra.

"Why are you looking at women's clothing?" she asked. "And don't tell me you're getting a present for your mother. Guys don't get clothing for their mothers. Perfume, maybe, but not blouses."
I told her the whole story.
"My, my," she said. Cassandra was silent for a moment, looking up the ceiling. "If it helps, I'd be willing to have your baby if you and Al decide to go the same-sex route. But I have to tell you, I'd much rather not be the one who's pregnant while you and Al are making googly eyes at each other."
So basically, I had Cassandra's permission to go either way.
"Thanks," I said awkwardly. Cassandra was looking over the balustrade and not paying much attention to me.
"Hey, future sibling-in-law, can you do me a favor?" she asked.

What she wanted was for me to become acquainted with the muscular guy in the red t-shirt. "And then you can invite him over after you move in with us," she said.
"Or you could introduce yourself," I suggested.
"That would be too obvious," she said.
I had a feeling that where Don Lothario was concerned, "obvious" was the best route to take, but I did her bidding. After all, how could I say no?

The day finally came when I'd finished my museum display -- mounted fish and portraits of my family. I included Nadia and Gretchen because they'd been in the same house for most of my life even if they'd since moved out.

And Father was the first portrait up in the Heirs' Gallery.

Al had come to the Museum with me. "I couldn't see myself in the mirror," I said, "but I found a website where you could get a picture of yourself with different hairstyles..."

"Whoa," he said. "It's Prince Valiant. Does this mean you're staying a guy?"

"I still don't know," I said. "I've been weighing the positives and negatives. One positive is that my nose won't be way too small for a guy anymore if I change, and another positive is that Cassandra won't have to go through a pregnancy that probably should be mine. But one negative is that if I become a woman, I'll have to marry a vampire, which means you'll have to change. It's not an easy process, Al. Basically you have to die of starvation before you get your fangs. So it's up to you. Do you want me to turn you?"

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »
What an incredible plot twist. You've got me on the edge of my seat, waiting for what comes next!

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2017, 12:55:18 AM »
Wow. so many complex decisions to make. And so many awkward conversations! I'm glad Bal's taking his time and weighing his options. Too bad the vanity mirror didn't work. That certainly makes getting acquainted with one's appearance difficult. I'm glad to know Al's on board no matter what. At least Balthazar is sure of one thing; he knows who he loves. :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »
Chapter 32 -- Milestones

Balthy came to see us one day and dropped a couple of bombshells. The first was that he was planning to marry Alexander -- not Cassandra -- Goth. The second was that he'd been born female, and Father had insisted on raising him as a boy.

Balthy sat down while Paolo and I were absorbing this information. Unfortunately he chose Rudolfo's bed. "Not even five yet, and already he's rolling his eyes?" Balthy said with a laugh. "What's he going to be like as a teen?"
I asked him if he was going to change when he got married, but he told me that he and Alexander hadn't decided yet. "So are you my little sister or my little brother?" I asked him. "I'm your little sibling," he said.

Rudolfo is the fussy one. I don't remember having nightmares as a child, but he seems to have them all the time. And half the time, when I try to comfort him, he just pushes me away.

But the other half of the time, he loves being hugged.

He also loves being read to. It may be too soon to tell, but I think he's going to be a little bookworm when he grows up.

Now that he and Agatha are both talking, they have long and still somewhat incomprehensible conversations.

Agatha's favorite housemate, next to Marcus, is Eva. She loves chatting with her, even when Eva might not want her company, like when she's in the bathroom.

But I think Eva's felt a bond with her ever since she carried her out of the house when Marcus set the stove on fire.

The other night Agatha ran out of the house to greet Paolo when he came home from work, and it melted his heart -- which was already pretty gooey to begin with. It's funny -- I want to see both the twins grow up, and yet I also want to keep them toddlers forever.

Imagination was Agatha's weak skill, and we had to work on that before she could get older.
"What do kitties say?" I asked her.
"I don't know," she said sadly. "I never seen a kitty."

She soon had her birthday, though.

And now she's a beautiful child, even when apprehensive about her first day of school.

Rudolfo needed to work on thinking. It was hard getting him to sit still for flash cards, so I could only get in one or two before he was ready to move on to something else.

He celebrated his birthday about a day after Agatha's.

Nightmares -- now monsters under the bed -- are still a problem. We put a nightlight in his room, and I think he'd be okay if he slept there, but when he goes up to Eva and Jade's room, there's not much we can do. I sprayed under Jade's bed (or Eva's) and got rid of the monster, but he didn't go back to sleep until shortly before it was time for school.

Birthdays weren't the only milestones. I had some exciting news for Paolo one afternoon. He was a bit anxious at first, but soon warmed up to the notion of another rugrat in the house.

Pretending that I was the monster under the bed was not funny, and so I told him, even though I was laughing in between labor pains.

And here is Alyssa, our third and probably last, child.

Paolo had a milestone -- he quit being a vampire and rejoined the human race. He'd asked me to change him back, and I'd promised to do that as soon as I had time to learn the cure. With two toddlers in the house, I hadn't had much time, but finally I learned the recipe.

With the children growing up (hopefully Alyssa won't be as much of a handful as her older brother and sister), I've been able to have some time for my own goals. I got out for a jog one morning...

...and Eva mentored me later while I was on the treadmill. Since mentoring others in fitness is part of her job now (she's a personal trainer), it's a win-win situation for both of us.

Agatha is working on the Whiz Kid aspiration, and has been getting her good buddy Marcus to play chess with her. He's not such a good buddy that he lets her win, though. In fact, I caught him cheating the other day.

I've been helping with her homework. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to do that. She's a geek like her Aunt Nadia and very interested in math and science.

Because she's the Straud heir, she also has to become good friends with her grandfather, a task that appears easier than I thought it would be. I'm not sure Father ever cuddled with me or Nadia, but he has plenty of time for hugs with Agatha. More pictures of Rudolfo next chapter, I promise.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- April 8)
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
Agatha is lovely like her mama!  Hopefully Alyssa will be similarly fortunate.
So, has Balthazar been a girl the whole time, and I just didn't notice, or did you use the closet to gender-swap him (or should I say her)?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2017, 07:56:28 AM »
Agatha is lovely like her mama!  Hopefully Alyssa will be similarly fortunate.
So, has Balthazar been a girl the whole time, and I just didn't notice, or did you use the closet to gender-swap him (or should I say her)?

Balthazar was born female, but Vlad wanted the baby to be a boy, so gave him a male name and dressed her as a boy during toddlerhood. Because of a glitch with the birthday cake, she had to be aged up in CAS and became a boy there.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2017, 09:49:32 AM »
Just checked this thread again and realized I'd missed the update where the big reveal actually happens. 
Quite the excellent plot twist!

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2017, 12:56:44 AM »
Glad life is pretty much domestic bliss for Gretchen. The kids are adorable, and Paolo has rejoined the sim race.

Poor fussy Rudolfo! And poor parents!

I love Marcus cheating at chess against Agatha. And Agatha cuddling with Vlad. He can be a real pill, but at least he sincerely loves his grandkids. :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2017, 01:17:59 PM »
Chapter 33 -- Hoist Again

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Nadia looked at her two toddlers affectionately. Everything was so much easier when they were both on the same schedule. This week she would try to keep them in sync so she didn't have to keep getting up in the middle of the night to get food for one or read to the other. And maybe this week would be the one when Malcolm got abducted. She'd set the satellite dish to contact aliens. There was a noise downstairs, and Nadia wondered...

It was aliens all right, and one of them was chatting with Malcolm. Or rather, being scolded by him. But that was better than him leaving the room and sulking -- wasn't it? Maybe he would eventually drop his prejudice against aliens.

As before, they hung around the house for a few hours before leaving.

Later that day -- in the evening, actually -- Nadia took Argus and Andrew over to Straud Mansion to spend time with their grandfather. He seemed very sad about something.

Balthazar pulled her into another room and told her about what had happened. "So that's what I couldn't remember!" Nadia exclaimed. She turned to Andrew, who wanted to tell her that he'd gone potty all by himself like a big boy.

"What?" said Balthazar. "What couldn't you remember?"
"That I'd seen you in the bath once when you were a toddler," said Nadia. "I'd just learned the difference between boys and girls, and I was surprised that you looked just like me and Gretchen. But I probably figured that I was mistaken or that you weren't old enough to have developed anything yet."
"I wish you'd have said something," Balthazar grumbled.
"What could I have said?" asked Nadia. "Would it have helped if I'd asked if you ever thought you'd been born a girl?"
"I guess not," said Balthazar. "I'm still having trouble getting used to the idea as it is. And even if you'd brought it up when I was a child -- Mother would probably have denied it, and I can't see either of us asking Father to explain. And the Bros probably didn't even know."
"Have you decided yet what you're going to do?"
"I'm still going back and forth," said Balthazar. "If I make the change, it'll be when I quit being a vampire -- but that's a big if. And I have to wait another week for that."
Nadia was so preoccupied with Balthazar's problem, that she forgot one of her own. Nancy and Geoffrey had both passed on some time ago, so there wouldn't be anyone available to take care of the twins when she went to work the next day.  Malcolm and Sharon both had jobs, and it wasn't possible for her to ask either of them to stay home. She quick called in a vacation day, but that was only a temporary solution.
Rummaging through her list of friends, Nadia found someone she could ask to move in -- Kengo Fujita.

"What's a weird-looking chick like you doing in a nice place like this?" he asked Sharon. "My ambition is to be a Joke Star. I'm hot-headed, jealous, and I hate kids, but that's enough about me. Tell me, what do you think about me?"

It was a big house, Nadia assured Sharon later. With any luck, none of them would have much contact with Kengo. And she promised that from now on, Kengo would be the one who had to do the cleaning.

Sharon was happy to spend more time looking after the twins.

One day Sharon came home from work to find that Malcolm was still outside, chatting with Argus. "Hadn't you better get out of the sun?" she asked.
Malcolm made it just in time.

Things were going well for Nadia at work. She usually managed to complete all her tasks with enough time left over to have some fun with the microscope.

And when she got home, Argus was often waiting for her to play with him.

After a short nap, she could read to Andrew about babies and bunnies.

Or she could teach Argus his letters -- in Simlish, of course.

Malcolm helped out a little, especially with teaching shapes.

But he usually found something else to do when it came to tantrums.

One evening Nadia felt an impulse to go outside. Belatedly, she remembered that one of her tasks at work had been "Contact aliens."

"Again?" she said, when they helped her into the ship. "Why couldn't you take Kengo? He was standing right next to me. Why couldn't you take Malcolm?"
"We like you better," said the leader. "Malcolm is a vampire --"
"So was my father," Nadia interposed.
"--And Kengo is hot-headed, jealous, and a child-hater. Who would want him around?"
"I appreciate the compliment," said Nadia, "but --"
"And you like us, too, don't you?"
Yes, Nadia did like the aliens.

One day, Argus was ready to age up. An inquisitive child, he turned into a genius.

Argus was inclined to be critical of the reading material judged suitable for children. "Really, Dad. Unicorns?"

But he still could be fooled into looking away during chess.

anything