Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99113 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- June 26)
« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
Oh, good heavens!   That was such a tragic update!   Poor Rudy.  And my poor Gretchen having to deal with the loss of a child and my poor Agatha having to deal with feelings of guilt.   Ugh!  And poor you!   I remember how bad I felt in my RDC when Vlad died of sun exposure and I spent the next week second guessing myself on what I could have or should have done.
  Hugs.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The worst thing was that I felt so helpless. Since I can only control Gretchen, I couldn't stop Rudy from running (and he was already low on vampire energy). To make matters worse, the whole thing (fight, pass out, and death) cost Gretchen 8 points. And now I'm worried about Argus and Jocasta (both vampire heirs). Definitely a harrowing experience.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »
Chapter 59 -- Aftermath

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

For a while we all moped.

Paolo went into a slump at work. Even when he got a raise, his spirits didn't improve.

The girls would pick at their food in the morning.

And then they would slump off to school.

One day I couldn't cope with the grief anymore and just started sobbing. Marcus let me cry a bit...

...but then he reminded me that I still had two wonderful, beautiful, brilliant, living daughters.

And exercise, he said, was a sure cure for just about anything.

That evening we watched a movie with a ghost in it, but it had a happy ending. We all sighed, but no one burst into tears at the end.

And when the girls started arguing. I knew we were beginning to recover. Agatha especially had been speaking to everyone so gently and compassionately that it was enough to make anyone feel depressed.

It was almost a relief when she came home from school feeling mortified over something. I tried to help her channel her embarrassment.

We took a picture together. I noticed how close I was to maxing photography, and I realized that I'd better get to work on amassing points again.

I started going to the store again, and found myself making more money than ever. Everyone wanted to come in and buy the new clothes and exercise equipment.

After closing for the day, I put down my dance mat and maxed dancing as well, finishing up with a back flip.

Just like that, we had another free day -- or rather a partial free day, since it was Saturday. Agatha went to visit her grandfather.

It took a while, but she managed to become good friends with him.

She's developed the responsible and compassionate traits, and she just needs one more to have her birthday and become a young adult. Unfortunately, the one she's working on is argumentative. Maybe I should send her off to meet her prospective suitors while she's still a teen.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- June 28)
« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
No suitor is good enough for my Agatha!
Congrats on doing so well with the skilling and scoring!
Iff the vampire and sunlight dilemma came up again in the future, would having the controlled Sim immediately leave the lot avoid the sun-induced death?  Just an idea.   Must admit I had brainstormed that scenario during my RDC afterwe lost Vlad.
A delightfully well written update  (which is hard when writing about grief and recovery).

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
Leaving the lot might have worked; I just didn't think of it. And Rudy would have gone to school while he was very tired because he was low on energy when he left for his jog.

But for the future -- Nadia will be at work as a scientist till 7 pm every day, so I'm not too worried about Argus. Jocasta is still a child, but I'll have to figure out something for when she becomes a teen.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »
Chapter 60 -- Explorations

Having visited Sixam, Nadia decided to do her next exploration closer to home -- at work, in fact. She soon discovered that there was a fishing pond not far from the lab, and she decided to work on developing her skill in fishing.

She also found a place where small aliens from space would congregate. Perhaps if she checked every day she could build a collection from them.

Last but not least, she discovered these petroglyphs on the rock at the front of the picnic area. What did they mean? she wondered. And was that animal at the bottom a dog or a llama?

There were other things she was supposed to do at work, though, besides exploring the grounds. For one thing, she had to test the ability of her simray to transform hair and skin color.

Her brother-in-law wasn't too happy about being her guinea pig.

At home, Nadia found a path leading down to the old mine shaft. The view from the path was magnificent. She felt that she could see for miles across the desert.

She hadn't been able to open the mine shaft for a long time, but now that she'd maxed handiness, she thought that she might finally have the right tool.

Inside it was very quiet, with only the occasional plop of a drop of water falling into a puddle. Nadia wondered where the water came from since it never rained in Oasis Springs.

The crystals here were enormous, and the light they gave off was enough to read by.

There was good fishing here. Nadia soon caught a batfish, which could sell for a good price.

Returning home, Nadia found that Andrew was finished with his baby-sitting job and was home for the night. She hurried inside, not even trying to identify the song that he thought he was singing.

Upstairs, Tabitha was playing with her toy horse, pretending to put it in the barn for the night.

And downstairs, Justine was playing with her food. Nadia stopped for a moment to give Argus some pointers on his homework.

On her way to the bedroom, Nadia saw that another vampire was outside, hoping to be invited indoors. It was Olivia Kim-Lewis, whom she remembered from high school, although Olivia had been several years ahead of her. Nadia shook her head and motioned to Olivia to leave. Then she went to bed.

After finishing his homework, Argus went outside and set the table. Setting the outside table was something he could do only at night or in the very early hours of the morning, before leaving for his job as a barista.

This particular morning something special occurred.

From the journal of Luna Villareal:
What happened this morning? I went to the cafe for my usual cappuchino and scone (if I sprinkle plasma fruit on top, it's quite tasty), and this red-headed kid working there waved at me and said, "Someday you're going to marry me."

I mean, really? I was so stunned that I couldn't say anything. Not that I'm curious, but after I finished my scone, I asked the other barista who the red-headed teenager was. "He's one of the Landgraabs," was the answer. So I guess that explains it -- the family is hardly noted for its humility. I wonder if that's his idea of a good pick-up line...No. No wondering. He's a skinny kid with a zit on his chin, and I'm definitely not interested.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- July 1)
« Reply #276 on: July 01, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
Aww, poor Luna.   You really don't get a choice sweetie.
Tabitha putting the horsies in the stable for the night was so cute!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- July 1)
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
Chapter 61 -- Third Quarter Report

Jocasta has stepped aside as narrator, feeling a bit overwhelmed by suddenly becoming a teen and a vampire. So I'm writing again.

We took the girls bowling over the weekend. Al insisted on including this photo of me.

And he also wanted to keep the photo of his superior form (although I must note that he did not knock down many pins).

Jocasta is obviously not going to become a pro bowler when she grows up. I think Al and I both look like figures from a was museum because we were trying not to laugh.

Chiara, on the other hand, seems to be a natural.

Gavin stayed home to play chess with his grandmother.

Not long after our bowling excursion, Jocasta became a teenager.

Her father, grandmother, aunt, and I all think she is gorgeous.

Jocasta thinks she needs to lose weight and has taken up nighttime jogging. I've warned her repeatedly that she can't jog during the day, though.

Her favorite activity seems to be playing the violin, which luckily can be done inside.

She got a job as a sales clerk and has been promoted to customer support already.

Jocasta's wasn't the only birthday. Lotty (she had trouble pronouncing Lothi, and Lotharia was a lost cause entirely) has ceased being a fussy toddler and is now a hot-headed child.

A very beautiful child, though, I should say. She inherited her father's green eyes and possibly his nose.

With Lotty no longer needing my care, I bought a restaurant. To be more specific, it's an ice cream parlor. The critic for the Willow Creek Gazette showed up on the day I opened, which was rather nerve-wracking.

Don Lothario was one of my first patrons, and I was sorry to see that he's become an elder.

Gretchen and Paolo showed up, too. I'm a little concerned because even though I'm running an ice cream parlor, no one has ordered ice cream yet.

Just when Nadia, Gretchen and I were beginning to think the Sixamites had forgotten all about us, I was abducted again. My "fans" wanted to congratulate me on making so much progress, and it's true, I did earn several free days this week. I should say, though, that the children earned many of the points for me. It also helped that I completed the Fabulously Wealthy aspiration.

Zara's Third 50 Points
Skills: 2 -- Baking, 2
Promotions: 5 -- Alexander, 1; Cassandra, 1; Chiara, 2; Gavin, 1
Satisfaction Points: 5
$30,000: 4
Good Friends: 2 -- Lotharia Goth, Don Lothario
Places Visited: 1 -- Oasis Springs Dust Bowl
Maxed Skills/Aspirations: 32 -- Zara, photography, parenting, baking, 6; Jocasta, motor, 2; Chiara, mental, creative, 4; Gavin, motor, 2; Lotharia, potty, movement, thinking, communication, imagination, 10/Zara, Fabulously Wealthy, 2; Chiara, Whiz Kid, 2; Gavin, Rambunctious Scamp, 2; Jocasta, Rambunctious Scamp, 2
Negatives: -1 -- Cassandra pass out

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- July 7)
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »
Add me to the list of people who think Jocasta's a beautiful teen  :=)  Lotty is also rather adorable.  Chiara is adorable and a rather impressive bowler  ;=)
Are you keeping the doors locked in the daytime to keep Jocasta inside?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #279 on: July 08, 2017, 02:20:43 AM »
Wow, multiple free days in a single week! What a great accomplishment! Congratz to Zara's entire household and the Watcher!

Jocasta as teen resembles her mother a lot! Chiara looks like a Goth as a child and I'm eager to see her as a teen.

I have to confess that my memory's getting hazy. All the children are born vampires because their parents remain vampires until all the child-bearing is done?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »
Are you keeping the doors locked in the daytime to keep Jocasta inside?

I hadn't thought of that. Zara leaves to work at the restaurant sometime before the children get home from school, and doesn't come back until Jocasta has left for work at 6 pm. And whenever there's a free day, I make sure that Jocasta fills up her vampire energy and also takes care of her thirst.

I have to confess that my memory's getting hazy. All the children are born vampires because their parents remain vampires until all the child-bearing is done?

No, all the children are not born vampires. Vampire heirs (Zara, 1st generation, Argus and Jocasta, 2nd) have to complete the Good Vampire aspiration and take the cure before they can leave the house, but they do have to marry vampires. When the spouses are cured depends on the roll of the dice. Paolo and Alexander were cured early; Malcolm took a lot longer, which is why Tabitha and Justine are both vampires. Alyssa, Gavin and Chiara, and Andrew are all normal Sims.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2017, 03:31:49 PM »
Chapter 62 -- Almost There

We started Saturday with some leftover free time. Agatha made good use of it by trying to get her third trait -- argumentative. Alyssa reacted negatively when Agatha criticized her favorite group, the Screamin' Simmies.

But poor Marcus was quite hurt when Agatha tried to start an argument with him. He went off to calm down with the mirror, while I sent Agatha off to the park.

While she was there, another young vampire died (no one in the family, thank goodness), and the Grim Reaper showed up. Agatha made fun of his dirges, which took him by surprise.

When she came home, she was ready to become a young adult -- responsible, compassionate, and argumentative, and also ambitious, a geek, and a kleptomaniac.

Father sent her a decorated plate as a birthday present, with the note "I painted this myself!" Since Father is a master painter, we can only assume he's experimenting with primitivism. Either that, or he really has no idea what a sunny scene looks like.

With our free day over, I decided to take Agatha around to meet her prospective suitors. It was late at night, but those are visiting hours for vampires. Wolfgang Munch turned out to be mean, gloomy, and outgoing -- perfect for one of Nadia's or Zara's descendants.

Farhan Higa had a very nice house but unfortunately he also had the jealous trait, and Agatha didn't like his bald spot.

Later that day, she told me that she'd like to make the rest of the visits on her own. "I can pick up the observant trait on the next free day," she told me. "I really don't think I need you along for this." Agatha was right, of course, but I felt a little guilty. Father had made sure that Nadia, Zara, and I became acquainted with eligible young vampires when we were children, and I'd never introduced Agatha to anyone.

But I put Agatha's search for a future spouse out of my mind when I went to the store. There, I found that the outside neon light had died and needed repairing.

Inside, I was much amused when my Sixamite friend Janine tried on one of the outfits. "It's like looking in a mirror!" she chortled.

Thanks to the store, I soon earned another free day. Agatha promptly went and introduced herself to Travis Scott...

...followed by Lucas Hardy, J's son.
"Well?" I inquired. "What are their traits?"
"Okay," said Agatha. "Travis is a geek like me and self-assured. Lucas is a bookworm. Lucas is very good-looking, but I'm better friends with his brother Valentin. Is there anyone else?"
"Diego Lobo," I told her. "He lives in a very posh apartment in San Myshuno."
"I wouldn't be able to have a rocket ship there," she said.
"And there's Joaquin Le Chien," I added. "He lives here in Windenburg, but his lot is pretty small, too. Still, there's plenty of time before you need to make a decision."

After that free day, Paolo was in position to get his last promotion. When he made it into the Hall of Fame, I decided to celebrate by taking him out to dinner. The host at Chez Llama was a vampire who had the disconcerting habit of changing into a bat when leading us to our table.

As we made our way through the restaurant, I spotted Cassandra Goth. Given her date's taste in socks and ties, I don't think the relationship will last. Zara says the Goths aren't keen on vibrant colors.

The food was excellent, but the waiter was rude. I didn't want to cause a scene, but I vowed that someone would hear of it.

After dinner, Paolo and I went over to the shop to do a little dancing on our own.

I'd planned for a romantic end to the evening, but the Sixamites had other ideas. "Only 13 points to go," one of them gushed when I arrived on the spaceship. "Woot Team Gretchen!"
I guess fame has its price.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- July 11)
« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
Team Gretchen indeed, my Sixamite friends!
Agatha's doing so well!!  Of course, it is a nearly impossible task to find a spouse worthy of her.  Such a challenge indeed!
I love how Gretchen's somewhat self-doubting/self-conscious contrasts with the more self-assured Agatha, yet those bits of mom's caution/reserve show up in Agatha as well (as if the true self is poking it head out from behind her veil of confidence).  Not sure if that's how you intended it, but it's totally how I read it. 

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
Thank you for explaining why some of the family becomes vampires and others don't. I didn't realize it involved randomization which you weave into your storyline.
So intriguing!

Congrats to Agatha on earning three character values! Nice work!
Someone needed to tell off Grim about his lousy dirges!

I laughed how Gretchen writes off Wolfgang Munch, deciding that an undesirable suitor could go with her sisters' heirs instead. LOL.
Oddly, though, in my game, when it's time for heirs to make 3 good friends in my RDC, they are always already friends with Wolfgang Munch. I have no idea why that is.

Loved the plate Grandpa Vlad sent to Agatha on her birthday!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
@PeregrineTook , Actually Gretchen has the self-assured trait. I think it might be her position as first generation guinea pig that makes her seem anxious.
@oshizu, I got a laugh out of the decorative plate, too. Interesting that Wolfgang has so many friends -- none of my Sims seem to know him, but then he's been out of high school for a while now.

anything