Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99097 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- July 20)
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »
Tabitha is so lovely in both forms!  I mean, hey, look at all those move-out requirements being completed!  Woot woot!
It was another lovely update.  Some great wit in there.  Mayflower Compact was definitely a favorite.  Was that your own joke, or did you borrow it?  Either way, I think Luna will be an excellent addition to the storyline.  Lovely literally and figuratively  ;=)  Looking forward to some very lovely nooboos!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »
I think the Mayflower Compact was my own, but I used to have a wonderful list of bloopers collected by teachers. One of my favorites was: "The sun never set on the British Empire because the sun sets in the west and the British Empire was in the east."
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #302 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
Lovely portraits of his parents that Argus painted!
I laughed at how he declared his rather undesirable vampiric half-brother would be "good enough" for his rival cousins. It reminded me of a similar comment by someone in the rival households, haha.

I will miss Nadia and Tabitha once Argus moves out. I'm glad Argus is taking Andrew with him as a helper.
It must be so hard reaching the Grand Master rank as a teen. I know that teen vampires can't vampire spar with adults but can they vampire spar and vampire duel with other teens?

Great work, Argus! You're very, very close to completing your move-out requirements now!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #303 on: July 22, 2017, 12:21:43 PM »
Lovely portraits of his parents that Argus painted!
I laughed at how he declared his rather undesirable vampiric half-brother would be "good enough" for his rival cousins. It reminded me of a similar comment by someone in the rival households, haha.

I will miss Nadia and Tabitha once Argus moves out. I'm glad Argus is taking Andrew with him as a helper.
It must be so hard reaching the Grand Master rank as a teen. I know that teen vampires can't vampire spar with adults but can they vampire spar and vampire duel with other teens?

Great work, Argus! You're very, very close to completing your move-out requirements now!

Teen vampires can spar with other teens, so Jocasta will benefit from Argus's work, too. What's odd, though, is that apparently vampires don't collect points for training other vampires.

Tabitha or Justine might return as someone's spouse a few generations from now. I figure they'll be eligible for someone in Gretchen's or Zara's line.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #304 on: July 23, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
Chapter 68 -- Catch-up

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This week has been sad and frustrating and altogether unsatisfactory. I'll get the sad part out of the way first by saying that Grandmother Zoe has died. We thought we'd have a little more time, but when Mama went to see her (taking Gavin along), she was gone.

Right after that, we almost lost Grannibella. She was abducted by aliens, and you never know how that might turn out.

They dropped her back rather rudely, considering she's at an age when osteoporosis might be a concern. Grannibella didn't have much to say about the experience except that they weren't at all like the aliens who abducted her a long time ago -- "when your papa was just a baby, dear." Judging by the dreamy look that came into her eyes, I gather that they didn't just kick her out of the spaceship.

The night after that Papa was abducted but he returned without incident. He thinks they were disappointed because our full house meant that he couldn't become host to one of their infants.

Next up was my mood swing. I got to thinking about how far ahead Cousin Agatha was (twin babies already) and Cousin Argus, and I got angry -- unreasonable, I know. Anyway, I was angry enough to switch into my dark form, and I couldn't switch out.

I had to go to school looking like the princess of nightmare island, which didn't help me in the popularity department. The only people willing to talk to me now are my brother and sister, and I'm not entirely sure about my sister.

Mama was a real trouper about the whole thing, doing everything she could to gain the points for a free day so that I could change back. She worked on mixology and painted some pictures to make more money.

And she went around town and made new friends to get some extra points. Outside the Vital Climb Gym, she witnessed Scott Bheeda go through the vampire transformation process. My cousin Argus turned him and the only two other people who were available, which means that I won't be able to gain any points that way.

Still, I don't mind too much. One of the new vampires he made, Rolando Fonseca, is another teen, so I can spar with him. It would be better if I were able to beat him, of course.

I've been making the most of our free days to get myself ready for when I take over. I've painted portraits of everyone. Chiara, like a typical teenager, was too busy checking her phone to look up for her portrait.

Ditto for Gavin. I don't know who they expect to hear from. It's not like there's anyone remotely attractive at school. Maybe Alyssa, but she's our cousin so off-limits romance-wise.

Lotty, at least, did look at me for her portrait, but with that little half-smile which makes you think she's plotting something. I hope I'm out of the house before she becomes a teen -- with her propensity for mischief, there's no telling what pranks she'll come up with.

I've also started working on my collection -- pictures from the microscope. Mama sent me out to the garden to gather specimens (but not from garlic -- it makes me sneeze).

And I also found a fossil to use when I become more adept. Our free day ended a little before midnight, which was just enough time for Aunt Cass to max violin and Grannibella to max logic. Mama has amassed 194 points, which means I should be able to take over early in our next session. I don't know whether to feel happy or nervous.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- July 23)
« Reply #305 on: July 23, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »
The Princess of Nightmare Island.  Loved that!  It's a great turn of phrase and she should treasure it as her new title.  All hail the Princess of Nightmare Island!  I could definitely get behind that  ;=)
Lotty does have an excellent mischievous smile!
It may have been a disappointing week for progress, but was a delightful weekly update  :=)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2017, 08:46:56 PM »
Poor Jocasta! It had never occurred to me that a vampire who autonomously changed into their dark form would need to wait for a free day to be changed back.
The teen years are indeed perilous for vampires!!!

I haven't played any teens using the Parenthood GP, but the mood swings make me very anxious.
Though I'm glad to hear that she's not fallen too far behind, I'm glad Team Nadia isn't in last place...
Being the third vampire heir to move out is really at a disadvantage in terms of point-earning opps!

I learned a lot from this chapter! Thank you!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #307 on: July 25, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
Chapter 69 -- An Ending and Beginnings

We lost Liberty Lee this week, which was very sad. She and I had become good friends in the short time that I knew her.

I took her headstone out and set it next to my brother's. Maybe they'll be company for each other. I hope so.

On the other hand, this week we had the happiness of two new beginnings -- Rudolf and Scott Straud.

Travis is a bit overwhelmed by it all, and who can blame him. I asked if he wanted to continue being a vampire, and he said no way. He hates his dark form; considering it's a clown suit, that's understandable.

As soon as I finished my study of vampire lore, I went and collected the garlic, wolfbane, and plasma fruit I needed to make his cure. My maxing vampire lore gave us a free day, so I didn't have to fight Travis or throw the cure at him.

He drank it down quite easily.

The transition was a shock, but Travis said he preferred  golden light to purple with streamers of black smoke.

I managed to get away from the house and procured a birdbath from the local museum. I bought a bird feeder so Mom wouldn't ask me why I had a birdbath when we didn't have any birds around.

I also spent some time building up my skill in cooking. This fire stayed contained within the pan, which was a relief.

And then the twins became toddlers, and my life totally changed. Rudy was first, and he's a vampire like his uncle was. I'm not going to start worrying about that until he becomes a teen, though.

Rudy wasn't too pleased to find that he had a brother, but I'm sure he and Scotty will become best friends eventually.

Grandfather sent them each a present -- a little bear or cat or something for Scotty...

...and a little dragon for his new vampire heir. Even though Rudy's vampirism will be a worry when he gets older, I am glad that he's turned out to be a vampire. I've always felt that Argus and Jocasta considered themselves superior to me because I'm just ordinary, and now I know Rudy won't have to feel that way.

Summer Holiday has been a big help with the twins, cleaning up their messes (and they make a lot of messes). She's patient when they come and wake her up, too.

Plus she's always available to read a book or do flash cards with one of them.

If she were younger, I'd feel comfortable about leaving her in charge and taking a job, but she's getting old. She spends a lot of time just staring at the bulletin board (all the notes and pictures were put up by her), and I'm afraid it won't be long before she follows Liberty.

Although the boys aren't playing together yet, they have started talking to each other. I don't know what they say, though, because I don't speak Babble.

I've had to become firmer in my parenting mode. Asking them not to make a mess has no effect.

Nor does scolding deter them from their other favorite activity -- playing in the toilet.

Still, I have to say that even though I no longer know what day of the week it is...

...or what time of day...

...and even though I'm always in need of sleep, food, and a shower, in that order, I've never been happier in my life.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- July 25)
« Reply #308 on: July 25, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »
Awww, our little klepto has become such a sweet mommy!!
Loved the bit about how she bought a bird feeder to cover her tracks if mom asks about the bird bath.  Great stuff!  (And, of course, I wouldn't mind seeing Gretchen come around and visit)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #309 on: July 25, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
Awww, our little klepto has become such a sweet mommy!!
Loved the bit about how she bought a bird feeder to cover her tracks if mom asks about the bird bath.  Great stuff!  (And, of course, I wouldn't mind seeing Gretchen come around and visit)

Gretchen is a frequent visitor, so I'll try to get a picture the next time she's over.

@oshizu, the mood swings for teens are kind of annoying, but manageable. If it's a Sim not under my control, I'll send the controlled Sim away; otherwise, it's like any other emotion, you can bring it down with the mirror. One thing I have discovered, though, is that a very angry vampire will drain a nearby Sim.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #310 on: July 25, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »
Chapter 70 -- Gold Medal Wedding

Dear Cousin Jocasta,
I hope you've recovered from any injuries you might have received during our spar the other night.

I would suggest that you spend some time developing fitness. It's one thing to lose to me, but to also lose to my pathetic half-brother, Rolando? Not good.

I do have another, more practical tip to pass on to you, something I learned from that useful compendium of information, Carl's Guide. Even though you've already learned all about vampire lore from the books, researching it on the Internet is well worth doing. It might be boring, but you'll pick up vampire points faster than any other method. Believe me, it beats waiting for Grandfather to get in the mood for training. Good luck!
Your affectionate cousin, Argus

I posted the letter and took a deep breath. Now that I had bought the Tamed Thirst power, I was ready to have my birthday. I tried making a cake at home, but set the stove on fire. The sprinkler system put it out, but I didn't want to take the time to try making another cake. I arranged for Luna to meet me at Aunt Zara's restaurant.

Afterwards, I did a little preliminary flirting. I texted her my phone number, and when she kissed the phone upon receiving it, I knew we were an item. "Catch you later," I said, taking off at high speed.

First, I had to collect the ingredients for the vampire cure. One of them was garlic, so I bought myself immunity to garlic with my leftover points.

Grandfather showed up to cheer me on while I was mixing the drink. I was surprised, but he said he was happy for me to be carrying on my mother's line.

He did duck downstairs when I swallowed the potion. I can understand, though -- it was probably painful for him to see me become a normal Sim.

I asked Luna for a date, and she met me at the Ancient Ruins. This was a little dangerous -- we'd have to end our date before daylight -- but it was more romantic than any indoor site would have been. To add to the romance, I equipped myself with Cupid's bow -- probably not necessary in Luna's case since she's already romantic, but I wanted to speed things along.

I gave her a rose, telling her that even a perfect rose couldn't compare with her beauty.

And then I sealed the deal with the kind of kiss only a Straud-Landgraab can give.

i [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I followed that up with the offer of a 5-carat sparkler.

Luna's acceptance leap made me glad I'd put in some time on the climbing wall. I knew I had the strength to hold her for two or three minutes, easy.

The wedding was perfect. It might seem strange that a church would be the preferred venue for a vampire wedding, but where else are you going to find an arch indoors? Even so, I was worried about Tabitha and Grandfather.

But when I peeked, both of them were there. Sadly, we couldn't invite Luna's brothers because I wasn't acquainted with them yet.

I think Luna was the loveliest bride ever.

We fed each other our first piece of cake, and then I fixed drinks for everyone (sparkling water, so Justine wouldn't feel left out.)

When everyone gathered to get cake, I knew that we'd made it to a gold medal. (Grandfather was present, but he went to bat form just before the picture was snapped. He probably wouldn't have wanted cake anyway.)

Argus's Moving in Stats
Traits: genius, snob, perfectionist, good manners, responsible, mediator, uncontrolled emotions
Portraits: Nadia, Malcolm, Andrew, Tabitha, Justine, Sharon, Kengo, and a selfie, worth $1231
Collection: geodes, worth $500
Satisfaction Points: 2610
Household Income: $65,120

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #311 on: July 25, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »
Agatha does seem to be enjoying her new life! How curious that the born-vampire son is not the one with Agatha's pale complexion!
It must be a big relief to her that Travis had wanted to regain his humanity right away.
I understand that Agatha bought a bird feeder as a cover-up for the birdbath, but I don't understand why she wants a birdbath and must hid it from her mother.

I like that Argus wrote a message to Jocasta with helpful tips on vampirism, even though they are rivals.
What a smooth transition Argus made from Nadia's son to Luna's spouse!  Great job on the gold-medal wedding party!
Luna, what a lovely bride you made!
Congrats on moving out, Argus! Can't wait to see you and Luna's nooboo!

P.S. Wow, I noticed that Argus had four character values on ageing up to a young adult! Do your challenge rules require four character values, or three?

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #312 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »
How sweet for Argus that Luna was swayed by his romantic efforts.  I remember quite well how she blew him off earlier.
Can't wait to see the adorable nooboos!!!
So glad Tabitha got to attend the wedding.  She's glorious!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2017, 07:29:41 AM »
Agatha does seem to be enjoying her new life! How curious that the born-vampire son is not the one with Agatha's pale complexion!
It must be a big relief to her that Travis had wanted to regain his humanity right away.
I understand that Agatha bought a bird feeder as a cover-up for the birdbath, but I don't understand why she wants a birdbath and must hid it from her mother.

I like that Argus wrote a message to Jocasta with helpful tips on vampirism, even though they are rivals.
What a smooth transition Argus made from Nadia's son to Luna's spouse!  Great job on the gold-medal wedding party!
Luna, what a lovely bride you made!
Congrats on moving out, Argus! Can't wait to see you and Luna's nooboo!

P.S. Wow, I noticed that Argus had four character values on ageing up to a young adult! Do you challenge rules require four character values, or three?

Agatha has the kleptomaniac trait, and she stole the birdbath from the museum, something her mother, a former police officer, would be upset about.
I'm only requiring 3 traits. Argus was on the edge of getting uncontrolled emotions, and I was hoping that he'd slide off, but that didn't happen. So it will be interesting to see how things go.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Chapter 71 -- The Von Windenburg Estate

The first thing we did upon arriving home was to try for baby in the closet. Lest I seem crass and ungentlemanly, I want to point out that woohooing somewhere was the only way I could think of to get Luna inside, away from the burning sunlight.

On the other hand, our session in the closet did have the desired effect.

The house is haunted, the result of the curse laid upon us Strauds by that witch long ago. Speaking of whom, she showed up our very first night and tipped over the trash can in the kitchen.

The second ghost we saw was Cousin Rudolfo. I showed Luna the glowing hole in his chest, warning her that the same fate could befall her, but I'm not sure the warning registered. I had a little gazebo built close to the edge of the estate where she could take refuge if necessary. The only thing I don't like about the house is the very long distance that Luna has to walk when going to and from work. I'm hoping she'll choose to give up vampirism on our next free day.

We also have the fast internet trait, which somewhat makes up for the antiquated computers in the house. I'm not ready to replace them, though. Bills are high, about $10,000 a week.

I've met my two brothers-in-law and become good friends with both of them. All it took was a cheerful introduction, but I've got good manners, too, and that really made the difference. Hugo is a foodie who loves to cook. Although he's an elder, he's a young elder, so I don't have to worry about leaving the children with him.

Max is certifiably insane. He's also evil and snob -- not too different from Dad, except for the insanity. He started as a mascot for the Windenburg Llamacorns, but he's moved up to dance captain.

Although my good manners and sense of responsibility are proving to be real gems (instantaneous good friends and quick promotions), I'm really sorry that I picked up uncontrolled emotions. It means that I'm still subject to mood swings like any teenager, and when I get one, I slouch around like something out of the Night of the Living Dead.

All in all, I'm really happy, though. From the 2nd floor deck, we have a wonderful view of the ocean and some mountain in the distance.

Luna decided that she didn't want to dress like a schoolgirl anymore, and picked out a new wardrobe for herself. I still can't believe she was willing to marry me -- she looks beautiful in anything.

We've only had one, slight, disagreement. I wanted to sell off the suit of armor that was in the basement (excuse me, the rec room), and Luna got upset. That armor had once belonged to Sir Raymond Villareal, the ancestor who founded the Knights of the Hedge. Even though selling the armor would bring in some money and cut down on our bills, I'm enough of a snob that I'm pleased to marry into a family that has ancient traditions.

Pleased enough, that I joined the Knights of the Hedge at Luna's behest. Since it was my first attendance at their gathering, I only had a helmet, but they've assured me that I'll get a full suit soon.

Here is the next Knight of the Hedge -- little Vanessa Straud, who was too hungry to pose prettily for her picture. That's her sister Britta sleeping next to her. And I'm happy to say that not only have I caught up to Cousin Agatha in terms of points, but I've passed her by one.

anything