Author Topic: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Dec 11)  (Read 99136 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Aug 13)
« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »
Chapter 79 -- A Difference of Opinion

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Mama had some sad news for me the next time she came for a visit -- Grannibella had been taken by the Grim Reaper. "It was very quick," she assured me, "and very peaceful. Grim assured me that he would take good care of her."

Papa didn't want to talk about it at all. I found him teaching Mortimer his shapes, which was very uncharacteristic, given Papa's dislike of children.

After they left, I sat down at the piano and played Grannibella's favorite song, "The Lot of the Rising Sun." As far as I'm concerned, she was the World's Best Grandma, and I'll always miss her. But I couldn't grieve long; I had to go to work where I was expecting a promotion.
Just as I was leaving, the phone rang. "It's your grandfather," Diego called. But then he said, "Never mind. It's me he wants to talk to."

It was a long day at work, and I couldn't wait to get home to my boys. The twins are so cute together.

I love it when Mort parks himself on Mick's bed. I think they're closer than Gavin and Chiara used to be.

The little ones weren't the only boys I wanted to see. Diego is such a good father. When I came home, he was reading to Mort from my latest work, Pat the Marmoset. "You really ought to get these published," he said. "I bet you could do it as a set -- The Lesser Known Mammals, or something."
"I got my promotion," I told him.
"Great!" said Diego. "That means I can go to the Casbah Gallery and trash -- I mean, review -- their latest show."
"What was it Grandfather wanted?" I asked as he was leaving.
"Just something he wants me to do for him," he said. "Oh, and I'll be stopping by your parents' house after the gallery. I need to pick up some garlic and wolfbane for that cure."
"You still didn't answer my question," I murmured, as he got on the elevator.

"Vibrant colors are best in smaller doses," Diego wrote. "I'd just as soon not enter the artist's hallucination."

"So happy that the artist has figured out how to make a shadow. Not so happy he felt it necessary to share that with the rest of us."

"The painting to my left might be a nice pattern for a dress or even a suit. The one to my right looks like the gloomy vision of a financier's widow who is hated by her stepchildren."

After dropping off his review, Diego went to Ophelia Villa where he gathered up some garlic and wolfbane.

And then he performed the little service that Vladislaus Straud had told him to do.

"You'll enjoy being a vampire," he promised Lotharia. "And you'll certainly be a beautiful one."

As soon as Diego got home, I mixed the cure for him. "Through the lips and over the tongue, look out, stomach, here it comes!" he recited.

Once he'd recovered, I asked Diego what Grandfather had wanted him to do. "Turn your cousin," he said.
"Lotty? But she's only a child!" I exclaimed.
"She's a teen now," said Diego. "And quite the looker -- a strong resemblance to Bella but with her father's green eyes."

A couple of days later, when I took Mort and Mick to meet Grandfather, I told him I wasn't happy about what he'd made Diego do. "I remember Mama telling me how she and Papa had this special bond because she'd turned him into a vampire. Even if it didn't last long, she said, it gave an extra depth to their relationship." I told Grandfather. "And now you've arranged it so that my husband has a 'special bond' with my teen-aged -- and beautiful -- cousin."

"You're beautiful, too," Grandfather protested weakly. But then he started crying, "I'm sorry, my dear. I was thinking of the future of our family and how nice it would be to have Don Lothario's genes in the mix. It didn't occur to me that you might be jealous."
"I'm not jealous," I protested, "I just don't think it's a healthy situation." I couldn't say much more than that because the boys were there.

I took Mick into the kitchen to feed him but left Mort to chat with his great-grandfather. He would have to become good friends with him someday, if he wanted to break the family curse. For once, I was tired of the curse.

It was morning by the time our visit ended (vampires' visiting hours are different from humans'), and Diego was mopping up the twins' latest mess. "I wiped down the high chair, too, and emptied their potties," he said. "Am I forgiven?"
"Yes," I said. "After all, Grandfather's the one who turned you, so you'd have to do something he told you to. And I should have realized that he'd want Lotty to become a vampire. She's got the Goth and Lothario genes and she lives in his favorite house -- of course he'd want to keep it in the family. I just wish he hadn't picked you to do the turning."
"Well, I won't be doing her training, so that's something."

"Turn around," he added. "I have a surprise for you. I started it while you were gone."
"It's going to be a fish?" I asked.
"Yes," said Diego. "I have a sketch right here -- you can work on it, too, if you want."
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Aug 15)
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »
Diego's art critiques were wonderfully scathing!!  Of course, the reviews of a certain father/grandfather might be similarly scathing after the whole Lotharia incident  ;=)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »
I wonder what happens to the relationship between a vampire and their offspring after the vampire gets cured, as in Diego's case. Does Diego still appear as Lotharia's "Master" in her relationship panel?
Since Vlad is the more powerful vampire, wouldn't Lotharia....oh, it's inconsequential because Lotharia will never be an heir. Just a gorgeous spare or a...what do you call them in this challenge of yours? A dynasty spouse?
Of course, having Vlad order Diego to turn her creates higher narrative tension.

The little boys are so cute! And, yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Diego's reviews. Poor financier's widow! (or not?)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #348 on: August 20, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »
I wonder what happens to the relationship between a vampire and their offspring after the vampire gets cured, as in Diego's case. Does Diego still appear as Lotharia's "Master" in her relationship panel?
Since Vlad is the more powerful vampire, wouldn't Lotharia....oh, it's inconsequential because Lotharia will never be an heir. Just a gorgeous spare or a...what do you call them in this challenge of yours? A dynasty spouse?
Of course, having Vlad order Diego to turn her creates higher narrative tension.

The little boys are so cute! And, yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Diego's reviews. Poor financier's widow! (or not?)

It'll be a while until I play Lotharia, but when I do, I'll check to see who is listed as her master.

The "financier's widow" is a reference to a character in a story by Trip over on the official forum. It's definitely not PG-rated, though, so I can't link it here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #349 on: August 24, 2017, 08:13:56 PM »
Chapter 80 -- At the Gym

People don't realize that if you want to be an astronaut, you have to stay in shape. I'm not ready for those 0g workouts yet, so I decided to head to the gym.

It was almost like a family reunion. First I saw Cousin Jocasta's husband Diego.

Not that I'm competitive or anything, but I was pleased that I could go higher on the wall than he could.

Aunt Zara was there, and it looked like she could throw a mean punch.

Uncle Malcolm was trying to dislocate his shoulder while he ran (yoga would be better for tension than that stretch he was doing), and my cousin-in-law Cassandra was working out next to Diego.

Cousin Argus and his wife Luna were acting like lovebirds.

I ran into them again when I went to the Burners & Builders gym, where I saw Grandfather.

I sometimes feel that Rudy and Scott have formed a conspiracy against me. I'm not paranoid, just the mother of twins.

One day Rudy went into the picky eater phase, turning up his nose at everything, even stuff he chose himself. "If you don't like peas, why did you get them out of the refrigerator?" I asked. "Because the only other thing was that weird-looking salad you made," he told me.

Just as Rudy went out of the phase, Scott went into it. "What's in this stuff?" he asked. "Candy," I told him. "Mom, it's a terrible thing to lie to a child," he said. Alyssa reminded me that it could be worse -- she was a picky eater until she became an adult.

One evening after a bad day at school (Rudy entered the answers the wrong way on a state test and Scott's paper airplane crashed), both boys decided to make a mess. I caught Rudy and gave him a time-out.

I'd intended to make Scott clean it up, but Travis had been too quick with the mop. By the time I turned my attention to Scott, he was diligently (and screechily) practicing the violin.

I was very proud, though, when they took their projects to the School Science Fair. "Can we bring some aliens, too?" they begged. "It would be so cool to show them off." So I said yes, but the space rock had to stay home. The pink "whale" was giving off a noxious odor, but the boys assured me that just made it even cooler.

They came home with first and second prizes, so I let them play with their voidcritters for a while.

Speaking of critters, Mom came over with some interesting news. "We're getting pets!" she exclaimed. "You guys can get a dog!" But we have to wait a bit. Does it mean I'm a bad mother if I'm hoping that Rudy will have moved out by the time they're available?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Aug 24)
« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2017, 07:48:04 AM »
How cool that Agatha kept running into family, wherever she went to work out.
Wow, the twins entered the picky phase one right after the other. I don't mind the picky phase as much as the loud phase, but maybe I'm not paying enough attention to my sims.

The Science Fair setting was very clever. Nice job bringing home the two top prizes, boys!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Aug 24)
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »
Chapter 81 -- First Quarter Report

Luna picked out some new clothing for our little darlings.

She also decided to scoop Britta's hair out of her eyes. I tried to get Britta to say "thank you," but she didn't want to cooperate.

Vanessa and Britta actually play together more than I remember Justine and Tabitha doing. They had quite a story going with their little town scene -- Britta's helicopter was about to crash and Vanessa's supergirl was flying to the rescue.

What do you do when you have 2 beautiful little girls dressed in adorable new clothing? You throw a party, of course. We invited Cousin Jocasta and her two boys to come over.

In hindsight, we should have chosen to do this at the park because I'd forgotten just how big the Villareal estate is. It took me a while to track down Mort, and I never did find Mick.

Mort started dancing, while Vanessa told Cousin Jocasta all about the ball pit.

Britta went upstairs, but I soon brought her down and tried to help her use the slide. She sat at the top for a moment, not sure whether she wanted to come down.

That gave me enough time to get in position to catch her. Our party ended much too soon (before we could reach a gold medal, although we did win some balloons). On the other hand, since our hosts and guests were getting tired, the party probably lasted long enough.

The next day Vanessa was ready for a birthday, and Britta followed soon after.

They're the best of friends now, and do quite a bit together...

...whether it's running out to greet Mom and Uncle Max when they get home from work...

...or writing in their respective journals. Since they just started school, I don't know what they have to write about, but it's very private, whatever it is.

As for me, I've officially become a Computer Whiz. With my toddlers grown up, I have a little more time for things like taking care of the garden that Max started. Gardening isn't my favorite thing, but I can imagine what Mom would say if she came over and found a bunch of dried and weedy plants.

I also thanked Hugo for all the help he gave when the girls were little. He got his first notice from Grim, and since he's not active, I don't think he'll be with us much longer. He's a great cook, and we'll miss him when he's gone.

Finally, I was able to make it to a meeting of the Knights of the Hedge. I have a full suit of armor now, even if it is only bronze. I've put Vanessa down as a member although she won't get any armor until she's older.

Argus's First 50 Points
Skills: 11 -- Programming, 8; Video gaming, 3
Promotions: 7 -- Argus, 4; Luna, 1; Max, 2
Satisfaction Points: 2
Good Friends: 5 -- Hugo Villareal, Max Villareal, Vanessa Straud, Britta Straud, Keisha Lunsford
Gold Parties: 1 -- Wedding
Collections: 2 -- Geodes
Places Visited: 1 -- Quad Manor
Maxed Skills: 24 -- Argus, logic, cooking, 4; Hugo, cooking, 2; Vanessa, potty, imagination, movement, communication, thinking, 10; Britta, potty, imagination, movement, thinking, 8
Negatives: -2 -- Max, pass out, -1; Luna, bladder fail, -1

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Aug 26)
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »
Oh! You have the new Toddler Stuff Pack! The girls look so adorable!
Argus and family seem to be doing really well. The girls running out to greet Luna getting home from work are too cute! They seem so excited!
I'm glad Argus is able to enjoy the peaceful married life that eluded his mother Nadia.

Your story is such an enjoyable read. Each update makes me want to try the vanilla TenGen Townie Challenge, but I'm such a micro-manager that I would probably go insane.

Oh and great job, Argus, on earning that full set of armor for Knights of the Hedge!

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2017, 02:24:50 AM »
I can't wait till my next gen when I can have the full toddler stuff experiance - it looks so fun! I only had a day left with my toddler this time around. Maybe I need to have more kids?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »
I do love the new clothes and hair, but none of my toddlers wanted to play in the tunnels, and since I wasn't controlling them, I couldn't send them there. It's kind of annoying that there aren't any other toddlers around except for Jocasta's. Rival Dynasties players should be able to have a playdate, but Immortal and Ten-Gen are probably out of luck.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
Now that's a great idea about playdates since I now have 2 households with toddlers!
I'm going to play around with that tomorrow (after I actually buy the expansion, that is.)

Wouldn't an Immortal Dynasty that still has a pollinator in the household be able to arrange for toddler-aged playmates for the dynasty toddlers?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2017, 03:22:29 PM »
Now that's a great idea about playdates since I now have 2 households with toddlers!
I'm going to play around with that tomorrow (after I actually buy the expansion, that is.)

Wouldn't an Immortal Dynasty that still has a pollinator in the household be able to arrange for toddler-aged playmates for the dynasty toddlers?

Yes, some Immortal Dynasties might be able to do playdates. I was thinking of later on, when there are hardly any townies, let alone toddlers.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
Chapter 82 -- Those Happy Toddler Days

I suppose it's every mother's regret that she didn't take enough pictures of her children as toddlers. Even from the back they were adorable, as when Mick was examining the pictures of me with Grandfather and Mama and Papa.

Diego did take one last picture of Mick when I was trying to teach him to say please and thank you.

And his last photo of Mort was when he was actually blowing out the candles on his cake.

We weren't able to finish the mural in their room while they were toddlers, mainly because we just didn't have that much time for painting.

It did get finished, however, in time for our next visit from my parents. I'm not sure what Papa was upset about, but at least he was able to express himself without resorting to hitting Draco.

Mort and Mick soon became best friends, which helps with their Social Butterfly aspirations.

Mick's habit of chatting with people in the neighborhood is helping him build his skills.

Mort is more interested in doing art work alone, so he's been developing his creativity instead.

They're both interested in voidcritters and have begun petitioning for more critters than just their Bubalus and Wickyn.

I've been making progress as a writer and have actually sold the screenplays Abducted (what really happened when Grannibella was taken by aliens), The Boy who was a Girl (about Mama's childhood), and The Princess of Nightmare Island (about my teen years as a vampire). My breakout hit, though, was The Vampire in the Basement, which will be coming soon to a theater near you. With all that writing, I've put on a little weight.

Diego's career hasn't been going so well. He came home without a promotion again the other day, and he was quite angry about it. I tried to calm him down, but he was just too steamed.  He needs to spend more time writing and less time watching television, but I wouldn't recommend telling him that.

This has been a short update, but I should have my first quarter report ready next time. And I'll try to take more pictures of Mort and Mick as children, otherwise they'll be adults before I know it.

One bit of sad news: I didn't know him well, but I learned that Marcus Flex passed away the other day. He was nearly as old as Grandfather, and considering that he wasn't a vampire, that's saying something.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Aug 28)
« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Loved the titles of Jocasta's books! The mural that she painted with Diego also looks really cool!
Poor hotheaded Diego missing out on another promotion!
Too bad Jocasta can't influence her husband to do things like she can her children, haha.

I admire how you give the children time off to enjoy playing Voidcritters. I never even remember to buy the Voidcritter machine for my RDC households. Next challenge, maybe!
The boys were adorable as toddlers and are developing different personalities as children.
I look forward to seeing how they develop.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Straud Dynasty (new -- Aug 28)
« Reply #359 on: August 31, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
I missed wishing you a birthday on August 30, MarianT, so...

A belated Happy Birthday! May the coming year be the best one yet! *throws confetti

anything