Author Topic: Sims Eugenics, or, Vlad's Nose (Complete)  (Read 35910 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Sims Eugenics, or, Vlad's Nose
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2018, 05:13:24 AM »
The answer is yes!
If you read to a toddler for at least two hours, that toddler-turned-child will have completed the Whiz Kid's reading goal.
Get multiple toddlers to eat at the same time and have one adult read to them all.

P.S. I've been dying to try your decontaminated shower trick, but haven't had a scientist sim earn one since learning that trick from you!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
I've just been reading about the Jungle Adventure poison and wondering if the decontamination shower cures that too... Someone might want to try that.

Thanks you! I'm so going to do that when Kelly and Quentin have kids.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Sims Eugenics, or, Vlad's Nose - Part 21
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
Part 21.

Relentless progress toward the final sims continues Relentlessly. Except for when it didn't.

I'm glad Ahilac was born into the house because the teen years with Quentin and Kelly were unspectacular. But the green girl made life more interesting for everyone. A rocket on the lawn obviously means she's doing the Rambunctious Scamp aspiration.

Antwan helped out with the project this time! Yay.

So... I was obviously very keen on taking good pictures of Quentin's nose.

Kelly was bored, and in her boredom decided to be Dangerous like teens are. She eloquently pointed out that both she and Quentin still had 3 Emotion Potions they concocted as children. (Sometimes my elder sims will die having never drunk them.) They often turn out rather badly. So in a test of vanity, and bravery, and science prowess, and sheer ego, Kelly challenged Quentin to drink an Emotion Potion to decide once and for all who was a more nerdy child.

It was a tie. They both made good potions. How DULL!

Caleb the Vampire (he has a surname that must be more interesting) visited, somehow getting past the garlic wreaths, in order to bring liveliness and danger to a well-run house that was in a Routine. But Caleb seem to be only visiting under duress. He didn't want to be around Lilith's Jane Austen book club.

And he's still rather portly. That goes back to Hilary Swank testing serums on him. He's not recovered physically or emotionally. And although he was only here in protest, he still bit Quentin.

The art deco bedroom was Ayaka's obviously.

Anissa in her garden. Because it's been a while since you've seen someone spraying bugs.

Antwan then paid a visit to Brindleton Bay. To say hi to his mother, which is good...

... and to deliver gravestones which is also good.

I didn't feel like having urns around the house in Newcrest because the ghosts and the constant breaking of items isn't necessary, but having them sit in the inventory also seemed a waste. So they moved here. If I wanted (and the urge hasn't overwhelmed me yet to do this) it would be possible to visit Ayaka and Allie at night and see the ghosts too. They are Vlad (he has two grave stones having died as a vampire and a human), HS, Don Lothario, Arianna. Nick must have died on this lot, but he wasn't in my household when that happened.

For Quentin and Kelly's YA birthday I felt like having some event, but already had a gold medal birthday. So we tried a spooky party to also unlock that llama costume that in no way references every major comic book superhero.

Allie arrived wearing less than she might have, but seemed unconcerned. Kelly was rather less thrilled with being a pizza delivery lady, but all the pirate and fairy costumes were taken. One of the fairies was...

... Allie Grim Reaper. The adopted daughter of death himself looks quite good there. She's had numerous pregnancies in the attempt to have a girl, and that must be why she's still an adult.

Anissa drank.

With Kelly aged to young adult, there were more romance options available.

What a confident, strong-willed man he must be to shave a paw print on his head! Kelly would complete all objectives but the 3 gold dates in the aspiration, which she'll go on with Quentin. She tried (and would continue to try) other men, but other men would not do! So when she finds true love, she'll become a serial romantic. It's quite deep. 

Anywho. CAS portraits of Quentin and Kelly as Young Adults.

Quentin has a lot of Alyssa in his eyes and nose. Kelly's chin is strange.

-----

Next outrageous episode: an elder, a house makeover, and Ayaka does sit-ups!

It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2018, 02:28:55 AM »
You know, that's a lovely polka. Elegant, even. I always considered polkas to be kind of inherently goofy, but that one is really nice. Thank you so much for the education. Despite spending several years as the worst second violin in my high school orchestra I'm sadly ignorant about most things classical.

But on to your chapter! Final . . . ? I'm very sad to see that word. I was really hoping this delightful story would go on and on. Do you have anything in the works once it's done? I hear the Sharebear Legacy is looking for recruits. Marvelous group of people. Just a thought!

I loved your emotion potion competition. Mine never get drunk, and if they do the drinker always just gets bored. I should be more adventurous.

I also love your solution for gravestones (and the fact the Vlad has two!).

Sad Caleb is a delight, but my favorite character in this (and any) chapter is Quentin's nose. I can hardly wait for the babies, but the house makeover sounds very exciting, too!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2018, 06:23:50 AM »
The plan was to reunite the two sides of the family. And that's Quentin and Kelly. Their child (perhaps I'll go for a boy and a girl, maybe one will get the nose and one won't) will be the fulfillment of the project. If the story went on beyond their children it would become a shapeless directionless thing.

Next? Um. Retreat into my shell and occasionally lurk?! If you've seen the not-Ochre Court house and the founders of it (wonderfully odd!) I've had an idle thought of using them again - perhaps making them yet stranger - to build another house from scratch and also to see if the strangeness remains. The final yet-to-be-born children here and Ahilac could make an appearance in that save. I appreciate the thought of the Sharebear Legacy and it's a fun concept, but I wouldn't find the time. Anyway, 3 is a good number. Too many recruits and it dilutes the brand.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »
Well, okay, I will accept the notion of a "final sim" since you say you will be building another house from scratch with their residents along with it.
For our reading enjoyment, I'm assuming. Yes?
In the meantime, I will happily await the union of Kelly and Quentin and wonder endlessly about the fate of Quentin's/Vlad's nose.

I'm very curious about Vlad's two gravestones. I wonder if his young adult vampire ghost (with the glowing heart) and his elderly human ghost would ever appear at the same time.
If they did, would they interact with each other? Would they become friends right away? So many questions!

Anissa the pirate is gorgeous!
And no pitter-patter of baby girl's feet in the home of Allie? Could you switch to her house briefly in her 2nd trimester to force-feed her strawberries?
Just for the sake of your experiment, of course. I'm assuming it's to continue her line, but would switching on her sons' gender customization options be excessively odd?

Another house makeover? I look forward to see what happens. And the elder would be...

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
If the story went on beyond their children it would become a shapeless directionless thing.
Some of us view that as a good thing, because we enjoy the characters just as much as we enjoy the story *feels like a minority*
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
@oshizu Vlad's vampire gravestone doesn't work. Since he turned human again it's really just been decoration - there was never two Vlads or two Vlad ghosts.

I just like keeping families alive. Nothing exciting will ever happen to the Grim Reaper children unless one of them ends up as a spouse to one of Quentin & Kelly's children. After Colin, she had Warren. But after that she had two girls, Deidre and Fatima, who might be twins.

@Nindigo I'm sure I enjoy the characters as much as anyone. :) This challenge / eugenics project of mine had a definite end goal. Sure I could continue on, like once someone finished an Immortal Dynasty they could play on too. But it would be little strange because the main story arc was over. And that's how I feel here. But because I really like some of the sims that have appeared here, and I don't feel I've had enough time with them yet, I'll probably bring them back in another story. Especially Ahilac because I won't pass up the chance for green kids...

But there's surely quite a few updates here still. Quentin and Kelly battled to get gold on a date because of an annoying requirement that seemed bugged, and I won't marry them until I've done the 3 dates.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Sims Eugenics, or, Vlad's Nose - Part 22
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »
Part 22.

Good morning, Alyssa.

Well, it's Alyssa's bed. But that looks like red hair. So... good morning, Kelly! Late night romancing?

Big windows. Light. Space. This is a remarkable improvement over the previous design. Which was so terrible as to not warrant being shown. And obviously this means the rear facade looks a bit different. This is the point the house was at in the Into The Future House Update. Originally it was decorated as Nick and Allie's bedroom, which explains the medals and a few other decor pieces.

Moving to the balcony...

... and now there's a terracotta tile to break up all the white nothingness and the fence changed to something that lessens the visual impact. Especially when you look toward the house, the previous fence clashed with the windows just behind.

There is, for the keen eyed reader, a hardly noticeable mistake in the roof which I didn't notice for a long time. It's since been fixed.

If it wasn't obvious, the golf-like elder gentleman on yonder balcony is Antwan. He was not best pleased with me for not having a cake for him. But... whatever. I was trying to get Kelly all romanced and cake wasn't a priority! He immediately retired from being a Pro-Athlete, and he's Long Lived from his athletic aspiration. Despite that he's had two death threats before his elder bar is full, so I'm wondering if all the hard drinking is having an effect. Here he's energized and doing push-ups in the bathroom, which is a little concerning. Athletic sims are prone to doing workouts that tire them. So full-time Elder Watch is in effect for Antwan.

Ahilac was finished 3 aspirations quickly, and Social Butterfly is usually the last one my children complete when a weekend rolls around.

(Hey! I just noticed Sad Caleb in the background.) So this is the moment one of the kids, aghast, realizes Ahilac is an alien... because he couldn't tell right away. Why? Do children usually paint themselves green? What kind of school does he go to! Can I speak to the headmaster!?

But two children was not enough, so we tried the other park.

Ayaka does sit ups. A nice 3rd kid did eventually appear, but in the meantime there was a nice club outing. Which was nice.

A gratuitous beauty shot of the house for the sake of a better look at the balcony.

Alyssa often came home from spying very tired and evidently had all the joy of life sucked out of her too, so the super-insta-fun alien computer is hers to use for a few minutes before getting to sleep.

Keeping her social meter full was occasionally a problem. The house does have a cloning machine and serums and potions, but I mostly ignore that and solve those issues more realistically.

Quentin's nose, profoundly silhouetted against the screen, needs no introduction or justification. He knows he has it, and he's proud.

Even as a YA, Kelly was still autonomously playing the violin with emotion. Alyssa is on guitar. Quentin of course went straight into the entertainer career having already maxed guitar, level 9 in piano, level 6 in violin. Kelly was still being Romantic, and I also didn't know what I needed from her. I pick careers according to what items the house needs unlocked, or according to what I haven't done much of recently. For now she was occasionally rushing up to passing sims with flirty introductions, hoping the sim who was previously romanced was not still on the lot, ready to appear at an inopportune moment. Sigh. So some gentleman got upset. Once or twice.

The man with the funny haircut eventually got the call.

The abductions continue apace.

There is another dangling foot in the middle picture if you look for it!

"So you're a spy, did you learn anything? How is Senior Pollination Technician 3?"

"Ant, she pollinates exactly 1,474 sims every night. Research and development. Trialing procedures or prototype equipment before they dare use it on themselves. Tonight it was new skin tones and doubling the cone receptors in their eyes." Alyssa pauses. "These aren't kids they want."

"Never tell Ahilac that."

-----

As a bonus, Ayaka seems to have had her baby, so here he is:

And the reason I'm not mentioning his name is because I've forgotten! Possibly Clayton? Will have to double-check.

EDIT: Chadwick Suzuki is her son. I wasn't that far out.

Next time: Running! Clapping! Singing! And the first date.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »
I can never look at that balcony without remembering Sporty Vlad!
No other sim in that household even comes close!
Oh! Antwan's an elder already! That caught me by surprise. With his hat, he doesn't look at all like an elder!
I've never worried when an elder does sit-ups or push-ups. Should I be worrying?

About that hardly noticeable mistake in the roof, I peered, stared, zoomed in, and what not, but noticed nada.
Now I will spend the rest of the day feeling like a loser. (Couldn't find the dangling foot either, unless you meant the one attached to somone's calf walking up the stairs)

Alyssa doesn't appear in screenshots as often as the others, it seems. It must be because those long hours she works!
Is she also close to her elder birthday or does she simply have the 3-day pregnancy bonus?

I laughed at Kelly's juggling of her romantic interests. With that lovely house, I imagine the family doesn't go out a lot.  :)
I vote she tries some NPCs (maid, gardener, butler, pet adoption agency, massage therapist, etc.).
Those folks eventually have to get back to their jobs and might not continue lingering in the neighborhood (or not, I only tried that approach in TS3. The fireman was cute!)

Chadwick is so cute!

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2018, 01:00:44 AM »
Retreat into my shell and occasionally lurk?!
Oh, please don't! Your voice has been such a delightful addition to the stories board. It would be such a shame for it to go completely quiet.
If you've seen the not-Ochre Court house and the founders of it (wonderfully odd!) I've had an idle thought of using them again - perhaps making them yet stranger - to build another house from scratch and also to see if the strangeness remains. The final yet-to-be-born children here and Ahilac could make an appearance in that save.
I like the sound of this much better, particularly the part about Ahilac making an appearance. I'd very much like to see more of her!

Those sporty argyle socks! To die for! Anyone who wears anything else for yoga has been doing it wrong!

I did find the dangling foot, but also failed to notice any roof errors. I'll just have to take your word for it that they were deeply problematic and feel very relieved that they've been resolved. The balcony is really looking nice these days.

The alien discovery issue is why I usually make mine wear disguises. It's slightly less embarrassing for everyone when the true identity of an alien is revealed if they've been making at least some effort to hide it.

Alyssa's revelation about the true purpose of all that alien pollination is quite alarming. Indeed, let's not tell Ahilac.

Ayaka's blue baby is darling, but Quentin's nose is still my favorite.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2018, 03:37:24 AM »
@oshizu I totally agree on sporty Vlad! That's a favourite moment. I could try denying Antwan is an elder, but I shan't! When Quentin and Kelly were born at the same time, Antwan was a week to 10 days older than Alyssa. What with her pregnancy, the gap is probably a bit larger now. Anissa used age-away serums but she is only 1 day behind Alyssa.

Sit-ups aren't harmful, but Antwan's predisposition for athletic activity is the general concern. The sit-ups do signal that he's energized, and he might well rush off to do a workout. I hope Anissa lives long enough for her Role Model trait to help the eventual new kids... but if Antwan popped off now it wouldn't be a catastrophe. But he is around the house more now to be a parent. And drink a lot.

@FrancescaFiori ... but Ahilac is so pretty! I don't like the Discovered! moodlet, but they are usually drowned out by the happy ones. And in a unrestricted save like this I give all the sims who can afford it the Shameless trait, because the constant embarrassed moodlets from privacy invasion aren't worth dealing with. And I think that'll spare Ahilac's blushes from being discovered as well. It's been a while since I've had an alien.

There's a tiny sliver of roof that's a different texture. It's most easily seen in the first abduction picture with the UFO.

Anyone for Chadwick and Ahilac? A 3/4 alien child? Should they be the starter couple for the Relic Hunter save? I could plop the Odd Couple into another house, and their strange child could marry the Chadilac child. Or something. Things can be worked out in the fullness of time.     

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Sims Eugenics, or, Vlad's Nose - Part 23
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2018, 02:13:18 PM »
Part 23.

Kelly and Quentin are now romantically inclined toward each other. Kelly has romanced other men, and decided she really needs the nose. So 3 gold dates and she'll become a Disreputable Woman... except it'll be with her soulmate, bff, etc. So this is the deepest thing to possibly happen to a sim. I actually decided this for her, and it's for her to reconcile herself to that fate. (So a classical libertarian who values negative freedom wouldn't be okay with that, and even if Kelly did adjust her desires for big noses to match the restrictions placed on her perhaps we should hesitate to call that "freedom".)

So Kelly was redecorated into an explorer because I was, and am, thrilled with adventuring, but trying to fit it in to this household with the competing needs of school and projects and Quentin's music and stuff it may never happen. And she was soon redecorated out of this look. *Deep, meaningful, regretful sigh.

Ahilac wants to know from daddy if she'll grow up to be a "mixologist".

"Yes! Almost certainly!" - And look at the blissful, contented face of Green Sim. She cannot wait.

Two of our favourite sims happily look out of a Window.

Anissa happily remarks she didn't have to rely on nagging Antwan for getting such handiwork done, and it sort of happened by magic. It is a little kitchen (I've seen other folk build kitchens the size of ballrooms) but it's in proportion. And it means the glorious dining room gets used.

We've seen this shot before...

... but that is better than last episode's one because of added nose. I was very excited by the half decent renovation that I started to take many pictures of that bedroom.

Another one of our favourite sims paints!

Alyssa had long since reached level 10 in Secret Agenting. On the side, she had this as her hobby (apart from drinking) and halfheartedly pursued the artistic aspiration. Also... more nose.

Singing!

So the empty room in the basement got prepared for artifacts, but whether we find the time for a trip remains to be seen. Maybe when all the elders have popped off. We'll see.

Running!

Now Antwan has the time, I've been sending him to the various dig spots nearby in the hope crystals. I have relics in mind. Despite HS having done the mad science, there aren't any rare crystals around. I think that, realistically, relic hunting will have to be incorporated into another save or even be the main goal. It's hard to do in this house.   

Clapping!

We're very keen to get Ahilac to all 5 positive character traits. Kelly came so close. She has 4 -all except conflict resolution. Empathy is something to learn as a child, so that was eagerly and often done and encouraged. As a teen, you rely on other people having a bad day. In the real world, reading novels is good for empathy. Maybe the game could have that. Give bookworm sims something!

Another two of our favourite sims go on Romantic Date #1.

That's Quentin's concert pianist suit. And Kelly looks like she should be in the jungle. I thought I'd change them into whatever their party outfits are... which I'm pretty sure I didn't set.

Neither of their hairstyles change. A clear indication I haven't chosen these. Oh well.

We're at the former yacht club in Brindleton Bay, now Club Calico. Usually I do dates at home because... loading screens. But being home can throw up some date goals that are a pain, and it's much simpler to get gold by actually going on a date. Talking to someone! 

'Twas successful! And the household was fine in their absence. Ahilac has done all she can as a child and is just waiting to age up. Alyssa, Antwan, and Anissa don't need babysitting. So these dates happened on three successive evenings.

Back at the ranch, 3am means Ahilac can't sleep and wants the monster sprayed under her bed. Which is *so* frustrating. I could have Anissa spray the "monster" with Ahilac standing right next to her, but she wouldn't accept it. And usually I'd have to force a sim from their own menu to go spray the monster because the pleading of Ahilac would always break. By the time anyone got to the bed in response to her begging, she'd forgotten she'd begged them and became disconnected from their action.

And almost every morning we'd have to start a club gathering just to "rally the troops" to get Ahilac through the day. I'm right now - as I write - learning there's a light that stops the monster. Sigh. I feel dumb. But hey, look at the pretty picture. Look how earnest Green Sim is.

Oh, and... dancing. In sync. No strings attached. (The radio in the art room is usually on baroque, so it's weirder than it looks.)

-----

Next episode: Date #2, Ahilac dresses like an alien again, and another sim maxes mixology without ever being asked. Guest appearances from Ayaka and Allie!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline FrancescaFiori

• Watcher
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »
Ahilac's blissful face when discussing her future as a mixologist is lovely. Those Sims certainly do love their juice!
I wouldn't worry too much about Kelly's deepest, truest desires, nor what your gameplay style says about your political affiliation. I once played a "Wishacy" wherein you were only allowed to have Sims do things they specifically wanted to do. I didn't make it past the first generation because she ended up doing nothing but eating popcorn in a filthy house with a 1x1 pool. It was depressing. Sims need us to at least nudge them in the right direction.
So many lovely nose profiles in this update! Definitely worthy of applause!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
I can only imagine the 1x1 pool! They don't want to inconvenience us with that wish. Just a leeetle pool. In this family, I hardly pay attention to their wishes at all. I control them as if it were a Computer Simulation! Despotism all the way. It would be interesting to know Kelly's thoughts on whether she wants her kids to have the nose.   

At the moment, the favourite juice for the elders is Granny Smash. We were in a Simsmapolitan phase prior to this. 

Exit Bunthorne.