Author Topic: When Is a Good Time To Post Your Legacy?  (Read 7665 times)

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
When Is a Good Time To Post Your Legacy?
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:07 AM »
I've been trying to post a legacy story (not here, but on the Sims 3 forums), yet every time I start posting it, I get bored... Of course, I start posting as soon as I have the first chapter/prologue.

Is it better to wait until you have a couple of chapters ready to go? Should I wait until I have an entire generation? What is the best plan for writing a legacy story?

Thanks for any responses!
Origin ID: marwolfer
Check me out on the gallery!!

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: When Is a Good Time To Post Your Legacy?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Most of my stories tend to be as I go along so that the readers are up to date but sometimes it's hard to keep up when you enjoy playing the game more than writing the story.   I think it all depends on your personal preference of when you would like to tell the story.    When I was posting stories on the official forums, I noticed that a lot of the problems I faced was because people never saw the story without it being bumped constantly.   

If you're getting bored, you know you can do a legacy without actually posting a story, right?  There are a lot of legacy style games that I play that never make it to public view because they are just for me.

Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
Yeah, I know I don't have to do a story, but it's super hard for me to focus on legacies sometimes. I think that doing a story will help keep me focused. Right now I'm planning out what I want the main overview of each generation to be. I'm doing a sort of Famacy, though with my own goals for each generation. I feel like that will help keep me on track, but still give me wiggle room.

I'm thinking of making a chapter outline, too, so I know what important moments I want to make sure I document.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »
I tend to write the story as I play. I never plan what I want to happen because I prefer to let things happen naturally and report on them. This can lead to some pretty boring stretches where nothing of any interest happens but this is usually followed by a whole lot of stuff happening in a short period of time.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »
I have a mod from twallan that prompts a save every 15- 20 minutes, when my game prompts me to save (I click yes of course) then write stuff on my blog about my Sim stories, what ever I was working on at the time.  So I write or load pictures every 20 minutes if necessary, then its never a big chore at the end of Simming.  I never wait until I have a ton to write about because I want to get back to playing, and I usually can't be bothered, so the save points are perfect timing.   If its been a busy Sim day (birthdays or weddings etc) then I will save it without prompting (usually at night when everyone has gone to sleep) and write about the specific occasion before I forget.

:)

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
I think if I had everything planned I would get bored trying to make them do what I want.  I get much more pleasure when the game surprises me and I love to share that with the community in story form. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
I mix it around. I'm a complete control freak, get ready to step into the sad mind of Fez :P :

I actually have two little notebooks I keep by my side during simming, one for my legacy and one for my dynasty. In the notebooks is every single future heir and generation, all my plans for them, and then a section for storylines I definitely want to do and storylines I'm only considering. Then the next part of each book is current information, I write down when a sim skills up etc so I can keep track incase I want to mention it in my story or update the legacy's family tree, and while I'm playing I tend to jot down ideas while the game is saving about what I can say in the chapter or whatever regarding the screnshots I just took while playing.

Both of my stories are currently about a month old, so it's still early days and I've not actually started firing into any proper storylines yet, but towards the end of my first attempt at the legacy where my generation 2 heir was just about to get married, I was honestly about to go into four different storylines before my file got corrupted. :P

As for actually when to start writing, I wait until I have enough screenshots for a few chapters. That can be hard with my dynasty because for some reason that gets nowhere near as much screenshots as I take in the legacy, despite them both having the same amount of gameplay. ???

Anyway, I'm not really a good writer or anything, there are much better on this forum than me, but I do try to plan things out ahead. Not every little thing is planned, of couse the game still has it's suprises and I like it when that happens, because it gives me a chance to incorporate some new ideas. Like, in my first legacy my butler got bugged and he was going to be my gen 2 spouse, so I made this huge silly storyline involving a time machine and she ended up marrying his son. :P

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline warr2098

• Future Neurologist
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »
I mix it around. I'm a complete control freak, get ready to step into the sad mind of Fez :P :

I actually have two little notebooks I keep by my side during simming,

I write my sims names and traits on a piece of paper on my desk in case I forget them  :P

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
What in the world is a Famacy?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
What in the world is a Famacy?

from the official forums - Famacy

Offline marwolfer

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
I think I've found a system I like. I have all the major chapters planned out (and even almost a whole generation ready to go up), but I'm also adding little "interludes" or half-chapters for when the unexpected happens. Not every chapter has an interlude, but I think they'll be nice to document the random things that happen in my legacy! Thanks for all your help guys!

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 09:40:45 PM »
I appreciate this topic, because I was trying to decide the same thing. Also what voice to use, whether first or third omniscient or limited or what. I've got a few ideas now, I reckon.

By samoht04

Offline Krrank

• Neurotic Gamer
  • Llama Wrangler
  • like a pitbull on a pant leg, I can't let go...
    • How to CAW - The easy way
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 06:44:13 AM »
Famacy.... you really do learn a new thing everyday. This topic really is helpful. I always wonder whether to just narrate the actually events of the game or make up a fictional story, but I do like first person narratives.

SimBlip

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
Deciding on narratives is something, I think, you do before you start a story. Narrative does not bother me much. There is always room for change. It doesn't tell you, however, when to publicize an episode. I must admit, I'm having difficulties with this question too.
It's really about how much you want to show, Marwolfer, and also, about how quickly you want to finish.
Fluidity - or should I call it flexibility - is a wonderful asset, though. Dialogues can take up time, but add liveliness. Glitches in the game can be fun to show or boring depending on how often it happens.
When I'm playing, I can feel my Simmies speaking in my head. I go to bed and dream of them.... They all want a role to play, and they want to remind the public that they are there, even if their tasks are fulfilled (yes, show-offs, or what?). Adding quirkiness to a character, which can be dispalyed over and over again, is a splendid tool.
I've read quite a few stories, where I thought the balance was exactly right. However, despite these excellent examples, I'm still dreading the start of my second Immortal Dynasty. I'm a stickler for detail and quite OCD about almost everything.  Their characters, their clothes, their aspirations, their love life, their house... I could go on forever.
It even translates into the screenshots I take. No plumbobs, or half walls on display for me. But what do you do when you are in mid-game and something extraordinary comes up with walls half or totally down? It's always a scramble. Can I steady my nerves and get to that "pause" button quickly enough and take the shot?
I think, the frame I'll use will be centered on my Sim's wishes, achievements and birthdays (deaths). If anything special comes up - you know, when the game throws surprises you - I'll include that or make a special chapter for it. :)

Offline Tin

• Llama Wrangler
  • This is my dog
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
Also, how about dynasty challenge? I've started it and i was wondering when is a good time to post it. When i'm sure i'll continue playing it and not fail, or keep up with my game?

anything