Author Topic: Sims 3 Legacy/Dynasty Story and NaNo  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Sims 3 Legacy/Dynasty Story and NaNo
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:23:33 AM »
My apologies if this isn't the correct place for this. Please feel free to move it to where it should go if it needs to be somewhere else.

For people who don't know, NaNo is short for NaNoWriMo which is short for National Novel Writing Month, during which time you have to write 50 000 words during the month of November. I'm thinking of basing mine around a Sims 3 Legacy/Dynasty Family. Has anyone else had experience with doing something like this? Any advice/suggestions for me? Any pitfalls I should be wary of?

Regards,

Dek

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 3 Legacy/Dynasty Story and NaNo
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:28 AM »
All I will say is that you're going to have to play a lot to get 50,000 words out in a month. If you're basing it off what happens in the game then do exiting stuff, have a sim cheat on someone, just for drama, as drama equals more words, mostly heated words in real scenarios but still...  ;) Also don't just base it off the game, make up a back-story or a theme to go through like your Sim is secretly a spy sent to spy on local families and gather intelligence but they have to fit in, or a magical sim of some kind, a runaway royal. It's amazing what you can do with words and just one picture from the game, so don't be afraid to make stuff up!
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:19:12 AM »
Thanks for that :) The initial plan was to do it based around a legacy. Having read the dynasty challenge here, I'm kind of inspired to do one around that. The basic idea of my backstory for it currently is that the 10th Generation (8th immortal) sim, the one that ends the legacy (dynasty) being the unseen parent (male or female) who gives birth to the founder sim, sees sim through to young adulthood and leaves him/her with the money and instructions to live, love, learn and leave a legacy. The heirs pass on a book from generation to generation that is added to by each heir and their partner/children and shared with the next heir. They know that the tenth heir is going to do something special ... they just don't know what ... I've just got to work out exactly why the 10th generation heir decides to go back in time with the founder sim in the first place ... maybe some kind of natural disaster or something ... or maybe to correct some past mistake, and they are forced to repeat it until they get it right.

I'm considering the family and game as inspiration for telling the story ... however, as such, I won't be afraid to change things or make things up to get them to come out as I want them to. Maybe failures to get through to the 10th Generation could be the cause of them having to repeat it.

In any case ... a lot of time will be needed to get it ready for November 1 :D

Dek

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Congratulations on even thinking about doing a NaNo!  I gave it a shot once, (and like you was going to use my dynasty), but things got in the way, my  pc crashed and killed my dynasty and the story never got written!  Best of luck to you on doing it and I totally can hardly wait to read your story!
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline sharpsiren

• Townie
Sims 3 Legacy/Dynasty Story and NaNo
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »
Good luck to you! I think it's a terrific idea. I tried to do NaNo last year but I could not come up with a story that motivated me. I think a Sim story, even one that isn't a Dynasty, could actually be interesting enough to keep me motivated. Great idea!

AdnaanA

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
How old do you HAVE to be to do a NaNo

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »
Scanning NaNoWriMo's Terms, as well as their Code of Conduct, I think anybody can enter, HOWEVER, on their forums, they apparently take a slacker approach to profanity than here - there are G-Rated forums, where Profanity is banned, but then there are other forums that allow strong profanity.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
They have young NaNo which students at both Secondary and Primary school take part in, apparently. This will be my fourth year of doing NaNo, and I've won the last two years at it (meaning I wrote 50 000 words in the month.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »
This NaNo thing looks very interesting. Maybe I'll try out, too. Thanks for sharing.

(PS: Nice avatar  ;))

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »
My advice would be to play through your story ahead of time taking photos and notes, but nothing that would equal an actual story, just notes. So precious writing time isn't spent simming.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

anything