Author Topic: Horse can't gain new traits?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline heatherliz2002

• Llama Wrangler
Horse can't gain new traits?
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:40:51 PM »
Ever since I installed the latest patch, my horses no longer gain new traits when encouraged, or reinforced... whatever they call it.  My sim adopted a horse as a foal, and reinforced the neat and obedient traits at every opportunity through the horse's elder life stage... he never gained those traits.  I've had the same problem with every horse that has come through my breeding farm.  Not sure if it's also affecting cats and dogs because I haven't played with them.  I used the lifetime reward where you can reset their traits to get work around the problem, but I've been wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Horse can't gain new traits?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »
My cats are gaining traits with no problem.  You say every horse has the same problem?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline heatherliz2002

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34:19 AM »
Yes, and the family has even moved lots.  I tried briefly with another family and had the same issue, although I only tried one horse in that family.  It's not a huge deal since I have a work-around, but it's rather annoying and I just wondered if anyone else had experienced it.  I played two different families in two different towns this evening, and one had a dog that couldn't gain traits, the other had a cat and the option to train to hunt never appeared.  Totally weird- I hadn't had any problems at all until very recently.

Offline Jose Lim

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
Do you still remember what is the patch number you downloaded?

Offline warr2098

• Future Neurologist
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
All I can say is, horses should gain new traits.  :o

Offline heatherliz2002

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »
I'm almost positive it was the most recent one, which was... 1.33?  The next time I start a fresh town/save file I'm going to test and see if it's still a problem, or if it's just in my existing games.

Offline Korva

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:21:00 AM »
Did you download the latest store content patch? I hear that some of the items fixed by that patch have been causing problems with (among other things) pets not gaining skills and traits, for some people. If you don't own those items and/or have the patch, I don't know what could cause it either. :/

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline heatherliz2002

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »
Thanks for that info- I think you solved the mystery!  Drives me nuts when patches break more stuff than they fix!

Offline Corylea

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »
I haven't been able to reinforce new traits into my horse since Pets came out, so I think maybe it's not the patch at fault.

Offline heatherliz2002

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
It's certainly possible, but I never had any trouble with it before the patch, so that's what made me wonder.

Offline Sara2573

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »
Ever since I installed the latest patch, my horses no longer gain new traits when encouraged, or reinforced... whatever they call it.  My sim adopted a horse as a foal, and reinforced the neat and obedient traits at every opportunity through the horse's elder life stage... he never gained those traits.  I've had the same problem with every horse that has come through my breeding farm.  Not sure if it's also affecting cats and dogs because I haven't played with them.  I used the lifetime reward where you can reset their traits to get work around the problem, but I've been wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

If you want a certain trait:

1. Do ctrl+shift+c

2. Type Testingcheatsenabled true

3. Press enter xD

4. Shift+click horse

5. Click the thing about traits. I don't remember what it says, but the trait thing in CAS should pop up.

6. Pick the traits you want.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.  :D

MaryMarsh

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »
I'm also having this problem. However ...

Horses will gain traits on their own; for instance, if they play with the ball enough they will gain the Playful trait on their own, when they gallop sufficiently they will acquire the Fast trait, and if they surmount sufficient jumps (beginner or advanced) they will obtain the Agile trait.

What I cannot do is reinforce activities, such as brushing (obedient) or cleaning hooves (neat), to compel any horse to adopt those two traits. This was not the case prior to patch 1.333. To ensure this holds true, I tried repeatedly on 10 different horses in two different towns/families.

The least "cheatful" way of overcoming this problem is to go into Create a Sim and select traits like Genius, Obedient, and Brave for your horse; then, through the course of race and jump training, let your horse acquire the Fast and Agile traits naturally. That way, even with current glitch, your horse will have five positive traits and will sell for more, if and when you decided to put it up for sale at the equestian center.

Offline Korva

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »
Do you mean the option to reinforce doesn't work, or doesn't even show up?

MaryMarsh

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »
"Reinforce" does appear as an option, it can be selected, and the sim completes the action, but no matter how many times a trait is reinforced it does not become one of the horse's traits.

Offline Korva

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »
Curious. I'll start my own "gardening, nectar making and ranching" household today and see if the same problem pops up. I didn't want to make my two foundation mares "perfect", so one of them is Ornery and the other Untrained. What I wouldn't give for a great big bugfix patch ...

anything