Author Topic: Trying to Speed Up The Sims 3  (Read 3870 times)

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
Trying to Speed Up The Sims 3
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
Hi all!

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with playing the Sims 3 over recent months. The more expansion packs I add, the longer the load times (not really a big issue) and the worse the lag (the big issue). It ran more or less perfectly when I just had the first few expansions installed.

What I want to do is uninstall some of the expansions and stuff packs and just keep the select few that I really love. It will be sad to see all the extra clothes and items go, and it will definitely water down the gameplay, but until I can buy a new laptop in the distant, distant future, it's the only thing I can think of that will help significantly.

So I have two questions:
1. Are there any known issues or bugs associated with only having some of the games installed and not all?
2. Should I do a complete reinstall of only the games I want, or is it ok to just uninstall the ones I don't want?

I currently have all expansions and stuff packs up to showtime. I'm going to keep just Ambitions, Pets, and High End Loft stuff installed.

Oh, third question!
3. How much does installed store content contribute to lag? I have quite a lot but if it will help, I will remove most of that as well.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Trying to Speed Up The Sims 3
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
Hello there. :)

So I have two questions:
1. Are there any known issues or bugs associated with only having some of the games installed and not all?
2. Should I do a complete reinstall of only the games I want, or is it ok to just uninstall the ones I don't want?

I currently have all expansions and stuff packs up to showtime. I'm going to keep just Ambitions, Pets, and High End Loft stuff installed.

Oh, third question!
3. How much does installed store content contribute to lag? I have quite a lot but if it will help, I will remove most of that as well.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

• None that I've seen mentioned on the forums. Like you said, gameplay elements and objects will be missing, but the overall game is still the same.
  • I would recommend a complete reinstall of just the stuff you want installed. Uninstalling just the expansion/stuff packs can leave things behind in the remaining game files that can cause problems.
  • Store items can add up, but if you're running the game on a system that doesn't meet all the required specifications, you'll see lag. This is especially true after the 1.26/Pets update. It overhauled the graphics engine in the game. The laptop I play on meets all the requirements for the game except for graphics memory. I play the game on mostly medium settings in the graphics (with short view distance and high Sim detail) and it runs fairly well.

Hope this helps. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »
Thanks! Complete reinstall it is then. I hope it helps.

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline SecretBoy

• The DreamStone Immortal Dynasty starring Christopher and Zelda Dreamstone!
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:42:06 AM »
I tried doing that once, ran fantastic! But then I did a factory Reset, installed back all my expansions and is now good as new.
{my blog to come soon}

anything