Author Topic: What does uninstalling and reinstalling in order do?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline alex51299

• Watcher
What does uninstalling and reinstalling in order do?
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
Sometimes on this forum when people have problems it is suggested that they uninstall all their expansions and stuff packs and reinstall them in the order that they came out. I was just wondering if this has been proving to help anything  since sometimes my game can be very frustrating and I may want to try it out. Also, if you do this can you lose certain items (like patterns and store content) or saves?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure if I should put it here or on the technical help board.
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0.

Offline DeLouche

• Occult
  • Sims3 - because being omnipotent is fun!
Re: What does uninstalling and reinstalling in order do?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
It basically cleans up the game and removes any glitches it may have picked up, as sometimes savegames with glitches can infect other games. To save your downloads and Sims, etc, you can move the Downloads folder into a safe location before uninstalling, and your Library folder as well. Downloads contains everything you've downloaded (including store content, which you can also reinstall from your Purchase History on your Sims 3 account), and Library includes lots and sims that you've saved - I'm not sure about patterns, perhaps someone else can clarify...

You'll need to reinstall all the downloads, but if you move the folder back to where it was after reinstalling, they'll all be visible in the launcher, and you can install them all at once.

Reinstalling them in the order that they came out - each pack has all the patches up to that point, it's just better for your game to reinstall them in order - they're designed to add-on to what's gone before. All else being equal, it won't hurt to do it in that order, and could save you some headaches. If you patch up between reinstalling each expansion, this can mess things up to, so it's best to reinstall everything and then patch up.

The factory reinstall is probably your best option, to be honest - there are isntructions on this forum, and it takes much less time, and is simpler. You'll still need to move your Library and Downloads, and you'll lose your save games, but to be honest, it's worth losing the save games, as if they're glitched, it'll just continue the problem.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:14:06 PM »
Ok I have been searching for best place to post and this seems best. If not correct, please redirect me.

Ok so I did a complete wrap of my hard drive. It's in the out of box state and and I'm ready to install my games. My question is, do I need to start the game after each install?

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
You can install everything and patch before starting the game. No need to to start the game after each install.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, Grim. Since I'm using discs I don't need to install Origin right now right?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:11:17 AM »
You don't need to install Origin to install the game no.   I would make one suggestion though.  I would patch in between installing the different SPs/EPs.  Just in case, kind of thing.  The reason for this is patching the big patch that just came out, 1.38, will work for your base game and any game after generations but all the expansions before generations had individual patches as well.  It's not a big deal but there was an article by MoonsAreBlue who said this helped her game run smoother.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »
Will I need that patch if I got SN? I feel like that patch is the reason I'm in this mess.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Since you got the disc, the patch is partially going to be installed just by installing Supernatural.  Your launcher will still want to install the patch because that way everything will function properly with the new content. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 01:14:49 AM »
Oh ok. I will do that then. Thanks, Ricalynn. Once again you're a big help.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:55:11 AM »
In case it helps, I think that the idea originated in TS1, possibly in EP2. Back then, Maxis often used content from prior EP's in EP's - for instance, Unleashed came before Vacation, and some Hotels in Vacation had dog bowls and such in them.

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 03:38:24 AM »
Yes I remember that. I try my best to install in order myself. But until Pam posted that link that had the release order, I was never sure I was going in correct order. That was so helpful. I'm on Generations now. And it prompts me when to update. I should be sleeping.  ;D

Offline PlatnumDymnd

• Immortal
  • Ghost Vamps
    • Sims3 Page
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 05:13:39 AM »
So far so good. I've loaded all my games and I'm opening Supernatural and about to install.  ;D