Author Topic: Graphics Card Question  (Read 1658 times)

Offline nicstriumph

• Llama Wrangler
Graphics Card Question
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:55:47 AM »
I have just been given a 24" iMac, 2009 model which came with a nVidia GeForce GT 120 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM would this be sufficient to play The Sims Pets well? Or would it be a good idea to upgrade graphics card?

Love. Life. Beautifully.

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
Re: Graphics Card Question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:44:49 AM »
At a quick glance, you should be fine (I'm not a technology expert but yours looks up to par). However, since your computer is three or four years old, it might be time for an upgrade if you're looking to venture outside of Sims with higher-end, newer games.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline nicstriumph

• Llama Wrangler
Graphics Card Question
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:15:11 AM »
Thanks Execution. It's a never been used Mac and I only play Sims and surf the net so provided it works for the Sims 3 I'm ok for now :) He might have a newer model for me but it'd be a refurb so I'm uhming and ahhing over it.

Love. Life. Beautifully.

Offline Ellenser

• Future Physicist
  • Townie
Re: Graphics Card Question
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »
Yes, you should be able to play the Sims 3. I would guess at medium, maybe a few high settings. For Pets, you should be able to play with at least low-medium, probably medium settings. The 256 MB could be better and I don't know which particular processor is included in your model, though I think all the options that were given for that generation are satisfactory.

Make sure to update your drivers, though!
Hi!

Offline nicstriumph

• Llama Wrangler
Graphics Card Question
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 02:26:26 AM »
Thank you Ellenser! I have concluded that I'll update the graphics card, I have a friend who was an Apple Techie so he's going to get it all up to tip top scratch (well as much as it can be!) for me. He has said he can try and get a newer model that's refurbed (rather than new) which Im considering instead.

Love. Life. Beautifully.