Author Topic: Legacy rules  (Read 15648 times)

Offline Tin

• Llama Wrangler
  • This is my dog
Legacy rules
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
I was wondering if Legacy rules are the same as here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/39862.page Or are there more versions of it? Just asking because i have always wanted to make a legacy but never tried. And i have a lot of free time so...

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: Legacy rules
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »
That's the original, basic version of the Legacy. There are a lot of variations. There's an index of most of them here.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tin

• Llama Wrangler
  • This is my dog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
Whoa boy, there are sure a lot of them. For now, i guess i'll stick to the original, to see how it works out. And thanks for the info, maybe i'll try the other challenges some time in the future.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »
Hi Tin.

The legacy rules you linked to are indeed the original rules written by Pinstar on the official Sims 3 Forum.  The list of other legacys from Audren are (sometimes bizarre) variations written by any number of Sims 3 players.  We have two generational Dynasty challenges here on our Forum that were written by our own Metropolis Man, with a third due out sometime this year.  One is the Immortal Dynasty Challenge and the other is the Townie DecaDynasty Challenge.  I personally recommend these instead of a legacy because you have the support of our whole Forum if you have questions or run into problems.  You don't really get that with any of the legacy challenges.  We also have a Hall of Fame for members who have successfully completed a Dynasty within the posted ruleset.  It's a nice way to get recognition for your efforts.  I hope you'll take a look at them.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
I'd like to point out that the dynasties are much harder than a normal legacy since in a normal legacy all you need to do is reproduce across 10 generations. The only 'handicaps' in a normal legacy are you must randomly roll for traits each time and you need to start with only 1300 Simoleans in cash.

If you're looking for something harder than a dynasty, try the Apocalypse Challenge. The Apocalypse Challenge requires lots and lots of beforehand planning and is very easy to fail since it contains so much depth.

If you're looking for diversity from your current playstyle, try the Difference In The Family Tree challenge or one of its spin-offs. Or, make your own! The idea is basically to have each Generation be different from the last and accomplish something new.

Right now I'm playing the Random Legacy challenge. It's great since it forces me to try things I've never done before. Plus, it doesn't have all of the extra rules that DITFT does and every time you play it, it'll be unique.

If you're doing just a normal legacy, I'd put an extra spin on it like a color code or a family trait. But you can choose anything you want.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »
I'd like to point out that the dynasties are much harder than a normal legacy since in a normal legacy all you need to do is reproduce across 10 generations. The only 'handicaps' in a normal legacy are you must randomly roll for traits each time and you need to start with only 1300 Simoleans in cash.

I have to disagree with the part about Dynasties being much harder than a normal legacy.  The legacy challenge as Pinstar wrote it has a lot of rules to follow.  The people who simply reproduce to 10 generations aren't following the rules to the letter.  Pinstar wouldn't have made an entire page of rules, restrictions, and how to earn points if that's all there was to it.  It took me a good while to wrap my head around all the rules of a legacy (before we had our Dynasties).
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:27:27 AM »
I have to disagree with the part about Dynasties being much harder than a normal legacy.  The legacy challenge as Pinstar wrote it has a lot of rules to follow.  The people who simply reproduce to 10 generations aren't following the rules to the letter.  Pinstar wouldn't have made an entire page of rules, restrictions, and how to earn points if that's all there was to it.  It took me a good while to wrap my head around all the rules of a legacy (before we had our Dynasties).
Both of the dynasties have most of the basic rules (no cheats, starting lot, aging on, story progression on...) as the legacy challenge. The dynasties have so many additional requirements (BlackOps, SuperMax, property ownership, and many many others...) that the Legacy challenge has. Is the Legacy challenge easy? No. Are the Dynasty objectives harder, in full? Yes.

Basically, Legacies have bans on certain gameplay aspects, while Dynasties have most of these AND objectives.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 03:09:25 AM »
I believe what can make a legacy easier for the player is the fact that if you don't achieve one of the goals you can just carry on. With a dynasty it is game over. When I played legacies I always tried to follow the rules exactly which meant a portrait of every household member and scoring points for LTW. A lot of people don't count the points in a legacy I always did.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Tin

• Llama Wrangler
  • This is my dog
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
I am currently playing Immortal dynasty challenge (my first try), and i am planning on starting a legacy. And thanks for the info, guys. I will check out some legacies and see which one i might start playing.

Oh, and i checked the dynasty Hall of Fame, it is very interesting to see other people's comments about the challenge. Also, i somehow find dynasties more interesting than normal legacies.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 12:58:21 AM »
Well, another thing about the legacy, is that, because it's not as tight nit, and it has a more open community, people have evolved their own rules over time, so no one can get banned or disqualified.