Author Topic: Allowing my friend to install Sims 3 using my disk  (Read 22276 times)

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
Allowing my friend to install Sims 3 using my disk
« on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:41 AM »
My friend has been wanting Sims 3 for a very long time, but her parents say it is too expensive, so she has thought up of an idea. This idea is to use MY Sims 3 base game disk to install Sims 3 on HER computer. Immediately I had doubts about this, but she wanted me to ask you guys if that was possible.
So, is it possible for my friend to install the Sims 3 base game disk on her computer?
And is my theory of it not being allowed because of the serial code correct? Is there any other reasons that won't allow this to happen?
I know this topic sounds silly, but she doesn't believe me...  :-[
And I thank you all in advance.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DS Ben Jones: I appreciated your trust over the Masons thing.
DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
Jones: William Shakespeare, sir?
Barnaby: No! Thomas Barnaby.
-Midsomer Murders

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Allowing my friend to install Sims 3 using my disk
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:30:30 AM »
There are a couple of issues with this situation. 

You could very well be in violation of EA's terms of service by downloading the game on a friend's computer.  I'm not even sure if we're supposed to download the game on more than one computer of our own.  So, if your friend downloads a copy of the game that she didn't purchase, she's technically pirating the game.

The other issue is that the disk is required to play the game.  If you're using it to play, you friend won't be able to use it at the same time.  There are ways to get around this, I believe, but even so, that's a technical issue.  To be using the game properly, you need the disk.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »
I do this with my brother's girlfriend. You have to have at least one expansion, because then you can use the expansion disc, while your friend uses the base game disc. We've had no problem with using the authorisation codes on both computers. I've even downloaded some of my online store-bought items to her computer as well.
I don't know if it's pirating... I hope not :(

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:02:49 AM »
I have my game installed on both my home computer and my brothers old computer I use when I'm visiting my parents. That way I don't have to carry a lot of computers with me when I'm traveling by train. I haven't had any technical issues, and since I'm the only one that's using the game I haven't even considered if it was allowed or not.
Personally I would probably feel better about letting my friend install my game if she also bought at least one expansion pack. Then she wasn't playing just for free.

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:20 AM »
@pallyndrome, saltpastillen and Pam
I forgot to include the fact that she would buy the Pets expansion pack afterwards. I have an expansion pack myself, so I'm guessing I don't need the Sims 3 disk itself, only Generations.
Before I was about to post, I was thinking that this might be illegal. But, I completely understand saltpastillen and pallyndrome's situations there, as I would do the same thing as well. I think I might not allow her to use my disk, just to be 100% safe and sure.
Okay, thank you again! I will have to tell the news to my friend, and remind her again that there is a sale on Origin.  :)

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
-Midsomer Murders

Frey

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 05:54:23 AM »
The problem is that, unless you give your friend your disc to play, she will have to... get around it somehow (I don't think it's allowed to explain how here). If that's so, she won't be able to update the game and, if she tries to do it, the launcher will detect that she is playing without the disc and the game won't work properly anymore.

I did it once with Ambitions because my disc was scratched  I didn't know about Origin yet, and then forgot to turn the automatic updates off. It turns out that the game not only stopped working, but also, after a complete uninstall, the game wouldn't reinstall because it said it wasn't an original copy. My discs are all original (again, I only did it because the disc was scratched) so my guess is that the game somehow alters the registry of your computer when it detects piracy. I had to follow some very detailed and scary instructions to go into my laptop's registry, delete everything sim-related there and then install the game again. I'm no tech savvy whatsoever so I really don't understand what happened, I just followed the instructions and hoped not to destroy the laptop.

But what I mean with this is that your friend would have to be careful, or play with your CD, or, as someone else said, buy an expansion pack so that she has a CD to play with. The Sims 3 is an extremely complex game so it allways has new bugs and  such, so the updates are really necessary and I wouldn't recommend playing without them. I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, but I thought it was important to mention it so you know the risks  :).

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »
@Frey
Thank you Frey! I already told my friend about all of the risks and such. I then explained that there was a sale on Sims 3 + Pets, and her dad said yes to that.
So, no more help needed guys. Thanks so much everyone!

-Midsomer Murders

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

anything