Author Topic: Getting rich with the gem-u-cut machine  (Read 25839 times)

Offline callycat

• Occult
Re: Getting rich with the gem-u-cut machine
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »
I just had an insane glitch on the tiberium that resulted in selling one (from the inventory) for 48 million and the other for 43 million. Large spire cut tiberium seemed to be gaining a 0 on the value any time I selected them to move them between sims and the alchemy cabinet. Since there were 2 together I'd selected them before I noticed the change in value.

This didn't happen with plenty of others, so I'm not sure what happened with these two other than using the alchemy cabinet to store them instead of a chest once they had grown.

[they/them pronouns please]

Offline thelittlepakeha

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:24 AM »
I remember selling a gem for over 7k that was really not one of the more expensive gems - I can't remember exactly what it was sadly, something like a cut tanzanite or diamond maybe. I just noticed the number and went "WHAT?"

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

PS Gatherer will increase the number of gem dust you get as a byproduct, without that trait it is average 1-2 gem dust per gem cut, while with it it is 2-3 gem dusts. Not shore how you got 5 from one cut.

I've just had only 1 gem dust produced as a by product when cut by a Sim with the Gatherer trait. Maybe the extremes are just a very small percentage chance.

Cal

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
I've gotten anywhere from 1 to 6 dust from a gem cut.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
Had to check to see if it works, old formula for soupleace gem with transfiguration works with gem dust too.
So use the byproduct of cutting 5 different gems and add just one more cut - I used emerald cut emerald and gem dust from 5 more gems and got soulpeace gem.
This machine plus gatherer are my favorite parts of this SN.

PS Gatherer will increase the number of gem dust you get as a byproduct, without that trait it is average 1-2 gem dust per gem cut, while with it it is 2-3 gem dusts. Not shore how you got 5 from one cut.

It grows into a full spire cut tiberium but you can store it in chest and probably in cabinet as other gem dusts.

So theoretically you might be able to transfigure gem dust into a full blown gem?  That's an experiment worth doing unless you want the gem dust. (My alchemist would)
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »
Leaving aside tiberium - the gem-u-cut machine makes gem collecting highly profitable in general. The machine costs less than a single heart-shaped cut done through the mailbox, and all cuts are free. All that stuff on the gem collecting page about break-even points and the most profitable cut for each gem is out the window. Just use the highest cut you've unlocked for any gem.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Annah

• Nooboo
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »
i have the gatherer trait. I placed all my gem dust in my alchemy shelf....none of it increased in value

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline simone23

• Townie
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
I'm working on a game with three writers and one utility sim, trying to compare writing strategies.  The real takeaway I'm getting from it is: why am I bothering with writing when my utility sim is raking in this kind of cash?

Offline simone23

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
Leaving aside tiberium - the gem-u-cut machine makes gem collecting highly profitable in general. The machine costs less than a single heart-shaped cut done through the mailbox, and all cuts are free. All that stuff on the gem collecting page about break-even points and the most profitable cut for each gem is out the window. Just use the highest cut you've unlocked for any gem.

It's still applicable for gems that can hit the 3500-4900 window - you would want to scale down the cut for a gem with a starting value above 900, to make it useful for tiberium transfiguration.

Offline simone23

• Townie
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
Apologies for the triple post, but wanted to let folks know, gem dust counts as a gem cut for transfiguration, which means lots more large Soulpeace to use as the basis for lots more tiberium.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
I'm working on a game with three writers and one utility sim, trying to compare writing strategies.  The real takeaway I'm getting from it is: why am I bothering with writing when my utility sim is raking in this kind of cash?

I'm wondering why they bothered having careers in the game, when there are so many ways now to make gobs of money without even having a job. They could have at least made it so sims had to put some effort into getting gems...like having to mine them out instead of just finding them lying around. Gem collecting is getting more ludicrous with each ep...through martial arts with Ambitions, Pets, Supernatural, etc.

Offline Cedia

• Llama Wrangler
  • I love Italian Greyhounds...
    • Poesies.com
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »
My sims have two dogs, and one is a sculptor (sim, not dog).  It was obscene how fast they got rich with this machine!

Now I'm playing a genie sim thanks to SN CAS.  Is it me, or is the game getting easier?  :P

Offline Forest_Bear

• Llama Wrangler
  • Simlish Song Addict
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
One of my sims unlocked the Heart-shape gem cut and she had the gatherer trait. She found a pink diamond and it sold for 15,000 at the Elixir Consignment store
Hi Im new! Call me Forest or Boo.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
I'm wondering why they bothered having careers in the game, when there are so many ways now to make gobs of money without even having a job. They could have at least made it so sims had to put some effort into getting gems...like having to mine them out instead of just finding them lying around. Gem collecting is getting more ludicrous with each ep...through martial arts with Ambitions, Pets, Supernatural, etc.

It's part of the design. They make things you've had to work for from the start easier and easier so the average player can have fun exploring the new stuff. Giving us fairies to speed up gardening and more ways to collect gems helps make the Alchemy skill more accessible too.

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
It's not like you have to partake in all the gem collecting and its ludicrous riches. In most of my games, I ignore it completely and can do so with ease.