Author Topic: The Ghosts of Twinbrook (Life States Dynasty)  (Read 108287 times)

Louise56

Re: The Ghosts of Twinbrook (updated 10 Oct - Prologue, Part 2)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
Awesome start! The pictures of the meteor was great. Can't wait for the next update. :)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »
Wow, nice! Excellent backstory, explanation and segue into the challenge. Can't wait to see more!
Thank you :)

The pictures of the meteor was great.

The meteor was actually the starting point for the story.  I already had those shots, from a previous game (the victim is Gala Ball, in fact, and I gave my founder a similar appearance just so that I could use the pics).

Will be reading, because of Genies.  *Twitch* GENIES!

That particular genie will be a recurring character.  I had Rica's permission to copy her to use in the prologue.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
Excellent prologue! It's hard thinking of reasons for our sims to embark upon these dynasties, but you've come up with one of the best.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »
Thank you :)

The meteor was actually the starting point for the story.  I already had those shots, from a previous game (the victim is Gala Ball, in fact, and I gave my founder a similar appearnce just so that I could use the pics).

That particular genie will be a recurring character.  I had Rica's permission to copy her to use in the prologue.

What inspiration! I have been wondering if your founder had the Unlucky trait, haha, so much dying and coming back to life as well as the Grim's comment about her amusing him. I love what you did with that original idea.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »
It's hard thinking of reasons for our sims to embark upon these dynasties, but you've come up with one of the best.

Thanks, Marian.  To be honest, I don't think it quite works but I wanted to try to work the challenge into a story somehow.

I have been wondering if your founder had the Unlucky trait, haha, so much dying and coming back to life as well as the Grim's comment about her amusing him.

My founder isn't unlucky, in fact, but all of the clones that were gratuitously killed in the prologue were unlucky losers.  Their other traits varied - the one who drowned was insane, for instance, so that she could go swimming in her everyday clothes.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 09:53:11 AM »
Oooh, this is excellent! You've tied the rules into your story so perfectly! So you'll be using the premade ghosts of Twinbrook as spouses? I can't wait to see what the last generation looks like.  :)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: The Ghosts of Twinbrook
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »
Chapter 1: A New Life

And so she found herself standing on an empty lot in a new town, with little money and no skills.  She supposed the first thing was to decide on a new name.  Anastasia seemed an appropriate choice – after all, she had been resurrected rather a lot – and she could shorten it to Ana.  For a family name, Goole sounded about right.

Then she went to visit the science centre – and came out with a new job.  Apparently, a shortage of spirits was hampering their research efforts and ghost hunting was a respectable profession here.

None of the spirits she caught seemed precisely like husband material but maybe she’d work her way up to humanoid ghosts with more practice.

But then one night she was called out to deal with a paranormal disturbance at the diner and, on her way out, she finally met a real ghost.

She found out that he was called B Vernon Castor and he’d died from electrocution.  They chatted for a while but then he dived back into his tombstone.  Perhaps they would meet again some time.

In the meantime, maybe she had better make a start on the tasks the genie had mentioned.  Mastery of skills would clearly be important and she'd always enjoyed intellectual pursuits.  Even though her mind wasn’t what it had been (in fact, she could barely remember what it had been), she decided that it was worth trying to retrieve some of her lost knowledge.  She spent some of her limited cash on a second-hand telescope and some chemistry equipment.

5.stargazing.jpg

She was in the library looking for the astronomy section when she noticed a book called Fixing the Friend Problem.  That genie had said she ought to work on her social skills…

The genie had also made it clear that she would be living with an increasingly large family as the years went by.  But she’d lived alone for so long.  Maybe she should get in some practice with a pet.  She was really too busy to train a puppy or kitten but maybe the animal shelter would have an older animal who would suit.  She contacted them and, a few hours later, was sharing her home with an elderly dog.  The people at the shelter had named her Sassy, which didn’t really seem to suit her personality, so  Ana changed it to Cecily.

With the help of Fixing the Friend Problem and its sequels, she was gaining confidence in talking to the people she met in the course of her ghost-hunting career. She’d also started tutoring the Greenwood girls, practising for when she would have her own descendants to help through school.

And, for recreation, she’d taken up chess.  In her previous lives, she’d read chess books and worked out problems on her own but she’d never played competitively.  Now she found that she was rather good – and it was another way of making friends.

But then one evening, an old acquaintance appeared – only he hadn’t come for her this time.

“No!  Not Cecily!  Take me instead.”
But of course he wouldn’t.

In her grief, she threw herself into her work, obsessively collecting spirits for the scientists at the lab.  Maybe they would find a way to bring Cecily back.

“Hello again, genie.”
“Hi, Anna. Are you still using the name Anna?”
“Well, Ana with one ‘n’ – short for Anastasia.  Oh, how rude of me – I have just realised that I did not ask your name when we met before.  Do genies have names?”
“Yes.  I’m Deirdra.”
“Oh.  I was expecting something like Yasmin or Leila.  Something more… Arabian.”
“Something less Irish, you mean?  The Middle Eastern genies do seem to get all the publicity. If you’re Irish, people expect you to be a leprechaun or banshee.”
“Deirdra, I called you out of the lamp to tell you that I have finished the tasks you set – and to ask you a question.  Why did you have to set the tasks?  It occurs to me that the Grim Reaper could have told me the requirements himself.”
“Of course he could – but he likes games.  He sometimes lets people play chess for their lives.  Anyway, congratulations on completing the tasks.  Now, when are you going to have that baby?”

Summary - generation 1

Founder: Anastasia Goole
Life state: human
Traits: absent-minded, couch potato, family oriented, great kisser, insane
Lifetime wish: Chess Legend

Unique best friend: Deirdra Ogle (genie)
Two career rewards: Spirit Medal, Spooky Trophy (slightly damaged by Cecily)
Three unique opportunities: Spirit Donation, Best. Haunted. House. Ever., Spooky Props
Four unique Lifetime Happiness Rewards: Teleportation Pad, Dusty Old Lamp, Bookshop Bargainer, Super Nanny
Five unique 5000+point wishes: Reach level 10 of Ghost Hunter career, master logic skill, donate 100 spirits to science, discover all potions, master charisma skill
Six unique skill challenges: Teacher Extraordinaire, Celestial Explorer, Master Chemist, Grand Master, Skill Professor, Metal Collector
Seven items for mausoleum: Potions

Next chapter

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »
So you'll be using the premade ghosts of Twinbrook as spouses? I can't wait to see what the last generation looks like.  :)

There may be the odd foreign ghost in the family tree but yes, the plan is to use the Twinbrook ghosts for most of the spouses.

Me too.  It should be an interesting-looking family :)

TheTripWasInfraGreen

Well, the whole thing about them being ghosts would hide some of their, um, Twinbrookiness.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »
My founder isn't unlucky, in fact, but all of the clones that were gratuitously killed in the prologue were unlucky losers.  Their other traits varied - the one who drowned was insane, for instance, so that she could go swimming in her everyday clothes.

Aha, I see! What excellent planning. So, what expansions do you have? I'm just wondering why you chose ghosts when you have other options. It's cool and it fits the story, it just seems extra challenging.

By samoht04

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Well, the whole thing about them being ghosts would hide some of their, um, Twinbrookiness.

Maybe.  Although being yellow and transparent with blue flashes doesn't really hide B Vernon's epic nose :)

So, what expansions do you have? I'm just wondering why you chose ghosts when you have other options. It's cool and it fits the story, it just seems extra challenging.

I have everything except Late Night and Supernatural* - so I'd have to have at least four ghosts anyway.  I just liked the idea of all of them being ghosts - in fact, I was going to have a ghost founder as well, before I thought of this story.  It will make some things harder - locked doors aren't going to work, for example - but since it's challenges rather than skills that have to be kept unique I think it should be possible.

*Yes, that is a Supernatural outfit the inventor's wearing in the prologue - in fact, she's in Moonlight Falls.  Those screenshots were taken on my daughter's computer.

Offline Forest_Bear

• Llama Wrangler
  • Simlish Song Addict
    • My Tumblr
I love this story so far. And its set in my favourite town, Twinbrook! Im going to keep reading this :D
Hi Im new! Call me Forest or Boo.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
I love this story so far. And its set in my favourite town, Twinbrook! Im going to keep reading this :D

Thanks :)  I seem to have been playing a lot in Twinbrook recently and it's really grown on me.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
It will make some things harder - locked doors aren't going to work, for example - but since it's challenges rather than skills that have to be kept unique I think it should be possible.

I love the whole premise of your story and wish you lots of good luck dealing with a house full of ghosts.  I think you're right that it will be easier because skills don't have to be unique, but please be careful about letting an heir accidentally max a skill - it will invalidate the skill certificate from being used as a career reward if more than 1 heir maxes the same skill, as I understand it.

Can't wait to read your next update - what an awesome story!

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
I have everything except Late Night and Supernatural* - so I'd have to have at least four ghosts anyway.  I just liked the idea of all of them being ghosts - in fact, I was going to have a ghost founder as well, before I thought of this story.  It will make some things harder - locked doors aren't going to work, for example - but since it's challenges rather than skills that have to be kept unique I think it should be possible.

*Yes, that is a Supernatural outfit the inventor's wearing in the prologue - in fact, she's in Moonlight Falls.  Those screenshots were taken on my daughter's computer.

Aha, I was wondering. So yes, I can see your options were limited to begin with, I like how you turned that into a brilliant story idea! Twinbrook is also my favourite town and so I am excited to keep reading.

By samoht04

anything