Author Topic: Start Stop Start Stop...!!  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Emms

• Nooboo
Start Stop Start Stop...!!
« on: October 07, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
Hi there!

I have problems playing my sims 3 game. I don't have any custom content other than a custom world which only includes a few new textures for the grass. Everything else is stock standard.  But usually my problem happens even without any custom content in the game.  The problem I have is, that I start a new game, it works fine, I play my sims and they go about their business. After a few days of playing, eventually the game just decides to chug along, meaning theres a start stop start stop start stop in my game.  What I mean is for 2 seconds the game runs, then for another second or 2 it thinks about it, then it goes again for 2 seconds then stops again for 2 seconds. I can't play a game for 2 seconds at a time every 2 seconds... My computer well and truely is over the specifications required to play the game... I don't have my settings up very high, I've tried the factory reset but that doesn't seem to work either :( Is there anything else I can do?

Emms

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Start Stop Start Stop...!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, Emms.

What you describe is a fairly common problem.  It seems to mostly happen in files that you've been playing for awhile.  Things build up in the game and start to make it sluggish.  Have you tried the clean up processes we suggest on the Technical Help board.  There are instructions on how to clean up the game by deleting some files regularly, as well as how to clean up and maintain the computer itself.  I suggest you browse through that board and see if any of those things help. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Emms

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:58:46 AM »
Thanks Pam!

I tried the factory reset and clearing out that backup folder and those cache files.  That seemed to help alot but after 10 mins it was pretty much back to freezing up every few seconds again.  Is there any other things I can do?

Thanks!

Emms.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:50 AM »
Try to reset the entire world [resetsim *]. That usually helps for me. Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times in a row, and then it clears up for a while. This is fairly usual especially when I'm places where the routing is bad and sims I don't control get stuck.

I also remember someone recomending placing an empty lot somewhere in town whenever this happens, to help with the lag. But I've never had to try that out.

This helps you.

Offline Emms

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:50:30 AM »
Hi Saltpastillen!

Thanks for that info, Just wondering, how do I reset my world? or resetsim as you say?

I'll definitely try adding in an empty lot too.

Thanks
Emms.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:31:41 AM »
While playing the game, press [Ctrl] + [Shift] + C to display the console window. Or in Windows Vista you may need to press [Ctrl] + [Windows] + [Shift] + C to display the console window.

Then type in resetsim *. There has to be a space between resetsim and the *.

Hope that helps.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 04:00:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Emms.

Are you opposed to using Mods (modifications)? If so, try Overwatch by twallan. I also use Delphy's Dashboard but that might not be of much use to you (it mainly organizes CC, but can also help clear extra caches). :)

How long have you had your computer, and is it a Desktop or Laptop? If you've had it for a while, try opening the case and removing the dust. Or ask a tech-oriented person to do it for you. :)

Do you have a lot of processes (tasks/applications) running at the same time as Sims? If so, try stopping some of those through closing them, or using Task Manager.

Can you tell us your Operating System and RAM amount (for example: Windows Vista, 4GB RAM)? That could tell us whether you actually need more RAM. :) Sims can be a bit RAM-hogging, so you may find that you need to increase it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Emms

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:41:36 AM »
Thanks Saltpastillen! I will try that reset and let you know how I go.

Seabody, My computer is very new, laptop, alienware gaming computer so I already know all the specs are more than I need to run the game, and I always shut extra tasks and applications down before starting sims. I think it is just this huge world! LOL

I have heard of the Overwatch Mod, I really have no idea how to use mods or what they are, but am not opposed to using them if it helps me play normally :D

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
I think it is just this huge world!

That's a point - what's the World? It is entirely possible that the creator didn't optimize it, and therefore has a lot of stuff, layers, etc.

Here's a quick and (I hope) simple explanation of Mods - they are files that alter the code of the game. They can range from Overwatch, which does a LOT of cleaning tasks like emptying inventories of unused Sims, deleting vehicles, etc, to one that changes one value to make something happen quicker.

Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide.
What are Mods?
Overwatch

Offline Emms

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
Seabody, Its the St Claire from Awesims.  They did mention using the overwatch to fix the lag issues. Its such a beautiful world and my favourite I have ever tried out so I don't want to stop using it LOL.

I'll check those links out you provided and see if I can fix it that way. Thank you so so much for your help!

Offline Emms

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »
Yay! Installing that Overwatch mod seemed to help SO MUCH!! It runs almost perfectly now!! I just have a question, when I get unroutable sims what do I do, and are they different from stationary sims. Those are just the notifications I get with this Mod.