Author Topic: Question on speed improvement of sims 3 when game installed on SSD  (Read 5315 times)

Offline zoey_block

• Nooboo
Hello,

I was wondering if the sims 3 base game + 4 other expansion packs installed on an SSD will load faster even if there's an additional 8GB of custom content installed on a separate normal HD?

Here's the list of my PC specs:

VCard: Gainward GeForce GTX 670Ti 2GB
RAM: 16GB
HD: 1TB
SSD: 60GB
Mobo: Maximus V Gene
Processor: Intel I5 3570k

thanks!

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Question on speed improvement of sims 3 when game installed on SSD
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum, zoey. 

I can't speak to all aspects of your question - I'll leave that to the more technically savvy folks.  But I recently got a new computer with a solid state drive, and I am very pleased with how much faster everything is compared to my old computer.  I bought the SSD for Sims, and it hasn't disappointed.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline zoey_block

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
thank you for the welcome and answering my question :)

I'll still leave this topic on if anyone else wants to give answers as well :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:39:17 AM »
Let me show my ignorance for a moment.  What is an SSD?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

thesweetestpea

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 02:54:17 AM »
Let me show my ignorance for a moment.  What is an SSD?

An SSD is a Solid State Drive. They use the same technology as flash drives (chips to hold memory), so they have no moving parts - unlike a standard drive which uses a set of magnetic platters similar to CDs and DVDs to store data and is written to and read by using an arm that moves across the surface of the platters. Solid state drives last longer and load faster because the speed at which data is accessed is faster when there are no moving parts, and flash chips don't get damaged or wear out as fast as platters that are constantly being modified do.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 03:09:47 AM »
An SSD is a Solid State Drive. They use the same technology as flash drives (chips to hold memory), so they have no moving parts - unlike a standard drive which uses a set of magnetic platters similar to CDs and DVDs to store data and is written to and read by using an arm that moves across the surface of the platters. Solid state drives last longer and load faster because the speed at which data is accessed is faster when there are no moving parts, and flash chips don't get damaged or wear out as fast as platters that are constantly being modified do.

Thank you.  :D

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

thesweetestpea

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 03:22:23 AM »
Thank you.  :D

No problem. :) Fun fact: SSDs started out as military technology and then came onto the open market. They're very popular with gamers and IT professionals because they also reduce overheating and system crashes.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
No problem. :) Fun fact: SSDs started out as military technology and then came onto the open market. They're very popular with gamers and IT professionals because they also reduce overheating and system crashes.

Are they a lot more expensive?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

thesweetestpea

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 03:35:32 AM »

A 512 GB SSD can be expected to cost around $350-$550. A 1 TB platter drive will set you back around $150. If you don't need a lot of drive capacity, smaller SSDs (128/256 GB) cost around $150. I don't think it's even possible to buy platter drives that are less than 1 TB now unless they bundle with a computer. So yes, they are more expensive, but for decreased power consumption and increased speed they can be well worth it. I wouldn't recommend them for people who don't use their systems much, but for those that do, especially gamers, they're a great piece of technology.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »

To add to what Sweetest Pea said, the SSD I got was just 120 GB, added to my 1 TB hard drive.  The SSD was just over $100 (Canadian).  I think that was enough for me as I mainly want it for my Sims game.  I don't have a lot of videos, pictures, etc on my computer, and if I do want those things I'll just store them on the hard drive.  When they set up the computer they put a bunch of Windows stuff in the SSD and didn't leave room for all the Sims stuff, so I had to go back to the store and spend time with their tech guy to sort out what needed to be in the SSD and what could be on the hard drive.  But it's working beautifully now (touch wood) and I'm really glad I got the SSD.  For an extra hundred dollars, I think it was a worthwhile investment.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Leto85

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
A 512 GB SSD can be expected to cost around $350-$550. A 1 TB platter drive will set you back around $150. If you don't need a lot of drive capacity, smaller SSDs (128/256 GB) cost around $150. I don't think it's even possible to buy platter drives that are less than 1 TB now unless they bundle with a computer. So yes, they are more expensive, but for decreased power consumption and increased speed they can be well worth it. I wouldn't recommend them for people who don't use their systems much, but for those that do, especially gamers, they're a great piece of technology.

You have one yourself? I know you have a laptop, but I am unsure if a SDD is already that small that it will fit in one.
I have one in my computer, 100 GB and it starts Windows up in minus 30 seconds. :) A technological blessing!

I knew in the basics how the thing works, but you just have given a pretty much complete yet understandable description of this kind of super hard drive.
Way to go! ;)