Author Topic: Rummaging to make money  (Read 15101 times)

Offline lprkaun

• Llama Wrangler
Rummaging to make money
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Out of curiosity I spent my first 3 days in town rummaging through trash cans around town managed to collect:

About 80 trash
400 scrap
30 newspapers
10 teddy bears
6 rubber ducks
4 candles
5 bottles of bubble bath
a large space rock
4 seeds
2 moonstones
a bloodstone
a smithsonite
Iridium
Iron
Silver
Palladium
and Plutonium

Altogether for 3 days of collecting I made 18,323 simoleons after paying to have the metals smelted and the gems cut with the emerald cut.  Not bad if you're starting a dynasty and need some starting funds.

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
Re: Rummaging to make money
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »
Good tip is doing that at rich people's houses :) You might end up with the game googles for 9k ! :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
Hate rummaging. Your sim ends up stinking! Better ways to make money.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:06:27 PM »
It's a fun way to go if you're playing a homeless type sim. Take the mooch trait too.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »
You can get 7 items (max) while rummaging. A household with a net worth of 30,000 will be considered to have a "medium" net worth. Likewise, a household with a net worth of 95,000 will be considered to have a "high" net worth. You'll have a 20% chance to pull a medium value item from a medium net worth household, a 30% chance to pull a medium value item from a high net worth household, and a 3% chance to pull a high value item from a high net worth household. Ignoring net worth, there's a flat out 15% chance to get a flop quality book, insect, rock, gem, metal or plant. When rummaging, you can get scrap. If you rummage in a cheap net worth household ( < 30,000 ) then you can get 10 scrap, medium = 20 scrap and high = 50 scrap.

That's enough net worth for now.

Leto85

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:43:26 AM »
It would be funny if this is a hidden skill. That way you could level up and get better items.
But since this is based on change...

Saying that: Seabody, is it maybe true that the change increases when a sim is doing this often? Like when rummaging becomes a actual hobby or life style?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:43 AM »
Saying that: Seabody, is it maybe true that the change increases when a sim is doing this often? Like when rummaging becomes a actual hobby or life style?

Do you mean, like, the more your Sim rummages, the better they get? I'll take a look.

Nope, not that I can see. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
Do you mean, like, the more your Sim rummages, the better they get? I'll take a look.

Nope, not that I can see. :)

Yeah, that was what I meant.
Thanks for checking though.

Louise56

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
Thank you for the info Seabody. All my poor sim find most off the time are trash and old newspapers. :P

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
Saw this thread and although I hate to rummange, when my sim is in law enforcement I prefer to rummage than do the questioning.  I spend too much time getting them to like me to answer questions.  I guess I need to have a higher skill in Charisma.

Anyhow, if I have to rummage for reports, at least I could make it worthwhile by getting something for it.

How do you handle it when you get caught rummaging?  Stay and talk or do what I do -- run for the hills!   :D

If you travel, you can buy the shower in a can and use it just after rummanging, it helps to remove the bad moodlet from stinking. 

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »
The bad part about rummaging is with the reputation system. My homeless sim somehow got celebrity status and was constantly having to sue for slander due to getting caught digging in trashcans.

Usually I try to do it when no one is home, or late at night.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
I must have one unlucky sim (and not as a trait, neither lucky or unlucky), when I sent him out at night, late when everyone should be sleeping, someone would come out to see what is going on.
Sent him when no one was home, even watched them drive away.  And he has no sooner stuck his head in the trash and they showed up.   Guess that is why he chose the law enforcement profession, he knew he would make a lousy thief (he was a townie). 

Offline rklesc

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 12:34:27 AM »
Out of curiosity I spent my first 3 days in town rummaging through trash cans around town managed to collect:

About 80 trash
400 scrap
30 newspapers
10 teddy bears
6 rubber ducks
4 candles
5 bottles of bubble bath
a large space rock
4 seeds
2 moonstones
a bloodstone
a smithsonite
Iridium
Iron
Silver
Palladium
and Plutonium

Altogether for 3 days of collecting I made 18,323 simoleons after paying to have the metals smelted and the gems cut with the emerald cut.  Not bad if you're starting a dynasty and need some starting funds.

I saw this post a few weeks ago and gave it a shot. I went to two large 60x60 lots with large homes and on two consecutive days hauled out two of the expensive virtual reality goggles (forgot the game name). So my one and only venture in trash management had huge dividends.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:49:31 PM »
How do you rummage through bins anyway?

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 03:56:07 AM »
How do you rummage through bins anyway?

You click on the trash bin in the neighbourhood, and it should say "Rummage" Try do it at rich people's houses :P

But don't do it if the home owners are nearby, cos then you will get invited inside. Also be careful if you are famous, since you can get the moodlet from paparazzi :)

And then its just have fun rummaging