Author Topic: Graphics glitch: house is spreading!  (Read 2178 times)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Graphics glitch: house is spreading!
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:51:29 PM »
Has anyone seen a graphics glitch like this before?

If I try to carry on playing, it just gets worse (takes over more of town and goes into black and white chaos eventually).  It started on my most recent save but earlier ones are now also affected.  Restarting the computer and a factory reset didn't help.

I'm not playing with any mods and am on patch 1.39 (this is my Life States Dynasty file).

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Graphics glitch: house is spreading!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
Has anyone seen a graphics glitch like this before?

If I try to carry on playing, it just gets worse (takes over more of town and goes into black and white chaos eventually).  It started on my most recent save but earlier ones are now also affected.  Restarting the computer and a factory reset didn't help.

I'm not playing with any mods and am on patch 1.39 (this is my Life States Dynasty file).

I had this problem with some trees at one point in MF.  I ended up deleting everything but CCmerged in the DCbackup folder as well as clearing all caches with a quick restart of the computer and it fixed itself. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
I always clear caches when starting a game, by using a batch file.  Research on the internet suggested it might be the graphics card overheating but it still happened after the computer had been switched off overnight.  Starting a new game in a completely new folder, playing bog-standard Sunset Valley, was worse if anything.

System Restore to a point a week ago didn't help.

It could be a graphics card compatibility issue (ATI Radeon HD 5600 series, which does seem to have problems with Sims) - but it's been fine until now and I can't even find the option for the fix suggested on the Sims website.

I really don't want to do another complete reinstall.  With my slow internet connection, it takes a whole day.

Off to try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers - and then maybe to look at the price of graphics cards :(

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:52:24 PM »
I have had the same glitch before, I had to uninstall some CC and then It was resolved

I was also wondering if it was Custom Content. Because the red is coming off the wall in the house.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »
When I had the issue, it was definitely trees.  And it was in a my dynasty folder for Sims so there is no CC or mods of any kind.  Did reinstalling the graphics card drivers do anything?
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »
I have had the same glitch before, I had to uninstall some CC and then It was resolved

I was also wondering if it was Custom Content. Because the red is coming off the wall in the house.

No, I have some downloaded store items but no custom content - and this was even affecting a brand-new folder with no downloaded content at all:

Starlight Shores was even worse, by the way: it was obviously glitched even before the game started, during the pan across the town.

When I had the issue, it was definitely trees.  And it was in a my dynasty folder for Sims so there is no CC or mods of any kind.  Did reinstalling the graphics card drivers do anything?

Yes, updating the graphics driver (for the second time!) finally sorted out the issue for new games - but all of my saved games produced a 'cannot load' message.  I eventually worked out that the Meta.data file had been deleted.  Replacing it seems (I hope) to have fixed the problem.

anything