Author Topic: Duty Calls Chapter 31: Vanquishing the Enemy (Completed)  (Read 25436 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 4: Tally Ho - The Hunt is ON!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »
Duty Calls - Chapter 5:  The Unexpected

So dear old dad wants another update!  I have too much to think about to take that call.

But if I just cancel the call, he’ll ring again, and again, and again.  Instead I simply pitched that phone into the water just as Adam um Chris said he’d done.  I’ll get a new phone tomorrow.  It won’t take dad long to figure out I’m avoiding him, but I need the space.  I will call mum from the house phone, then leave it off the hook or there’s a chance dad will phone all night.

Talking to mum was the best idea I’ve had for a while.  She is so reasonable, and her voice so soothing, it’s a balm to my frazzled nerves.  She said she was glad I called and had found Adam.  She actually didn’t seem disappointed when I told her Adam wasn’t coming home.  She said she’s just happy he is okay.

She asked me if I am going to come home or stay with Adam.  I said Adam is now called Chris and I’d sleep on it and call her in the morning.  I thought I was going to have a restless night.  As I was tossing and turning, I suddenly realised that I didn’t need to know where Chris lived, I had his phone number.  In a lighter frame of mind, I fell asleep almost instantly.

I awoke to hear a faint clatter in the house.  Holy smokes, a burglar!  In the daytime?  How odd?  Not being brave and now without my cell phone, I began wondering if I should go out the back door and get the police officer next door, before I realised the burglar alarm is not shrieking.

This wasn’t a burglar.  Maybe it is that racoon that regularly knocks over my bin.  I could smell cooking.  Not a racoon.  Maybe Chris?  Oh God, maybe Agnes, or Emma, or Erin or Ayesha or any of a dozen ladies who’ve called asking for dates.  I came out to see, not any of the above, but my beloved mother, cooking my favourite breakfast, French toast.

Wow, mum in jeans and a sweater!  Nice! 

“Oh Brandon it’s so good to see you.” She enveloped me in a great big hug.  “I hope I didn’t wake you.  If you’re still tired I can put this in the fridge for later”.

“No, I’m hungry let’s eat.”

It was so good to see her sitting at my little table.

“How did you get past the burglar alarm?” I asked.

“You used the same code we had at home,” she replied.  Of course I did, I needed to remember it when I came home dead tired from looking for Adam/Chris.

She was smiling as she ran into my tiny kitchen to wash up.  I kept forgetting mum is so spritely but she looks years younger.  Wearing jeans with her hair down, she looks amazing.  I can’t believe it’s the same woman.  Chris has got to see this.  I told her so.  Then I heard a sound I haven’t heard for a long time.  She laughed.

She winked knowingly at me, “I cheated.  I used some of my lifetime rewards points to get a secret potion that made me a young adult again.”  She said, “Look, we all need to talk.  How about you invite Chris over while I freshen up after my red eye flight?”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her that she could easily make it from the Chem Lab but then remembered it’s locked away in the basement so no-one else could super max out their Logic skill.  I told Chris, I had someone special he’d really like to meet.  He came straight over and mum hugs him the minute he walks through the door.

Oh my darling boy, you’ve cut your hair.  It’s... different.  I am so glad you’re all right!  Can I see the tattoo? 

“No mum,” said Chris with a grin, “only my wife or proctologist will ever see that.”

Mum said, “That’s interesting.  You wanted to break the rules but only a little bit.”

Chris sighed, “Don’t try to psychoanalyse me, mum.  I think moving out of the Dynasty lot was a not a little bit of rule breaking.  It was a major bit of rule breaking.  And if dad wasn’t so fixated on the whole family dynasty thing, he’d have known it was useless to send Brandon to look for me.  Metro is not going to overlook a dynastic heir skipping town.”

Mum said, “That’s true.  We have all lived our lives to complete that dynasty and if that was what you’d wanted, Brandon and I would have been there for you.  But now that it’s ended, we can all do what we’ve always wanted to do and not what our watcher wants us to do.  We’ll either be binned or deleted but from now on, our lives are our own.  Sit down boys, I’ve a lot to tell you.”
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 5: The Unexpected
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »
Sorry Forum, my glitch with photobucket continues.  There'll probably be less pictures in future episodes.

Magz

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
I LOVE this! Such a fresh perspective on the dynasty challenges. Their mom has a good head on her shoulders, though I am concerned as to how dear old Dad will react to this new development.

You are a fantastic writer. I look forward to reading more!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 6: Sabotage
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
Duty Calls - Chapter 6:  Sabotage

Lucky my tiny lounge room had enough chairs.

Chris nudged me and said, “Love what you’ve done with the place.  Who’s your decorator?”

We all laughed at that and it gave mum breathing space to gather her thoughts.  She took a deep breath and began, “First of all, thank you Chris, because, without your bravery, we wouldn’t all be free.  I like your new name by the way, is that for the Patron Saint of Travellers because you always wanted to travel?”

“No, I picked the name Christopher Steel from the two men on either side of me on the plane.  I took the first name from one, and the surname from the other and Steel is pretty close to our real name, so if I momentarily forget, people might just think I stutter.  I’d never flown economy before.  It was an interesting experience."

Mum laughed again.  I could really get used to hearing that sound.  “I found it unpleasant but anonymous which was rather comforting.  You see boys; I’ve left your father and that house full of elders.  It’s been like a prison to me." 

"You both know I married Alastair, your father, right after my high school graduation.  I went straight from a graduation robe to a wedding gown."

"There were so few eligible women in our town by the fifth generation, that I think I was the only halfway suitable choice.  I just didn’t know it.”

That I couldn’t believe.  My beautiful elegant mother... a fallback position?  I was outraged!

She continued, “But I was so flattered that this wealthy mature man was showering me with compliments and flowers and fabulous gifts."

"Before I knew it, he’d asked me to marry him and I accepted.  You see, there were so few eligible marriageable choices for me too.  However I did want a large family and if I’d known all about the dynasty restrictions, I’d have said no.  But I didn’t and the rest is now history."

"Oh, I had my little rebellions along the way.  You two were my biggest.  I was only supposed to have one baby, but I decided if I couldn’t have the five I’d wanted to fulfil my first lifetime wish, I was going to have as many as I could."

"I took Alastair’s fishing radio and when I could I listened to Kids music or I visited friends’ houses and watched Kids TV on their television as often as I could.  I went to the library and read those silly pregnancy books over and over again.  Much to the chagrin of Alastair and the elders, I had twins.  No-one else could be added to the house until one of us died.”

I was stunned.  Mum sabotaged the dynasty a long time before Chris did.  Chris and I looked at each other.  We’d got our math wrong.  Chris figured that he could marry but not have children till either of us died but mum’s right, Chris couldn’t have even married until one of us died!”

“I’m sorry boys.  But during my pregnancy, I saw what happens to the elders once they’ve achieved immortality.  They were either bored out of their skulls or zealously watching everything I did so I couldn’t mess up the succession or break the rules.  All the fun skill objects were locked away.  The elders do nothing all day so no one can’t inadvertently supermax another heir’s skill.  You may not know this but I had to forfeit my guitar just in case I left it lying around for one of the elders to find.  Not that any of them played but a future heir could, so nobody else was allowed to.”

I didn’t know mum played a guitar.  She enrolled me in the music club for an afterschool activity but then I recalled that I wasn’t allowed to have a guitar of my own, either.  But then I wasn’t the virtuoso that mum is, so it didn’t matter so much to me, but I do recall the house always full of music.

Mum collected herself and continued, “When the elders began discussing who would be the baby’s future spouse before Chris was even born, I realised that I had been a mere pawn to further the succession, and a dispensable pawn at that!”  Mum’s voice broke then.  Chris and I waited for her to continue.  “I also realised that I’d unintentionally backed my babies into a corner.  I’m not sorry that I had you both but I am sorry if my rebellion messed up your aspirations.  I can never make it up to you if I’ve I done that.”

Chris protested, “No mum, I’ve thought about this whole dynasty thing long and hard.  I really didn’t want to continue the dynasty under those rules.”

Mum nodded and continued, “Anyway I did my best to shield you two from the elders, Brandon, in particular, from their malice and Chris from their machinations.  When they weren’t watching, I let you two do things they wouldn’t have approved of, like chess at the park or using the computers at the library.”

“I remember you taking us to the public pool a lot even though we have a pool too”, I said.

“I gained my first athletic point at the public pool and my first gardening point when you’d take us to harvest wild fruit and vegetables so we could go fishing,” added Chris.

“I encouraged you both to widen your skill sets so you could make up your own mind which skills you wanted to achieve.  I let you play as much as you wanted at other peoples’ houses in the hope that they may have skill objects not locked away.  I hoped you would be strong enough to do what I couldn’t... break the dynasty rules and release all of us from that prison.”

“Now we can do all the things we want to do instead of what the watcher tells us to do.  Chris, you should change your lifetime wish into something you personally want to achieve instead of one no other immortal has previously done.  Take the career you want, marry the girl you want and have lots of children, not just one daughter.”  Chris just smiled.

To me she said, “Brandon, now you can marry.  While you didn’t have the same career and skill restrictions, you couldn’t have a wife or family.  So I beg you, have that family, be the husband and father you were born to be.  I hope the pair of you will provide me with lots of grandchildren before I die and maybe I can help raise those babies and finally achieve the surrounded by family lifetime wish I wanted for myself.”

Mum paused for a moment, sighed pensively then continued, “You see, to me, that’s the real meaning of a dynasty:  families loving and living, generation after generation, not living for generations under such tightly constrained rules.  Those immortal dynasties establish the skill and determination of the watchers, not the happiness of the Sims.  So I’m advising both of you to follow your hearts.  Carpe Diem and all that.  Be the Sim you want to be!”

When mum finished Chris and I both sat there stunned at her audacity and our reprieve.

Chris was the first to speak, “So... just curious, but who did the grandparents pick out for me to marry if I wasn’t yet born?”

“Sheryl” mum answered.

“What!” shouted Chris, “She was already a teenager when I was in nappies!  Surely she must be an elder now herself?”

My replied, “No, but she will be in 4 days time if she isn’t pregnant by then”.

“Ugh, is that the best they could do?” Chris said shaking his head.

“There aren’t many people who fit the rules and fewer and fewer townies with each dynasty.  As you know most of the NPC’s are vampires because our watcher started the dynasty before the last patch.  And I was assured by the elders, that older wives were best as they will die of old age much quicker than silly brand new young adults, just one day out of her teens, like I was.  The sooner the spouse and spares died, the sooner the next heir can be born.

As Chris digested that news, and I was, once again, irritated at being referred to as a spare, I asked mum if she had ever loved dad because it seemed an important question.

“I idolised him at first”, she replied.  “We honeymooned in France.  He was so romantic.  He was great when I was pregnant but not so much fun when I had you two.  He only wanted to be involved with Chris because Chris was the heir.  Although there were sometimes...” and her eyes drifted off into the distance before she collected herself.  “Sometimes I think that he was just compartmentalising, because he would also have to lose a wife and a son.  Alastair excelled at ignoring or rejecting incidents where deeper emotions could be aroused.  For instance, he wouldn’t discuss his mother with me at all.  Papa Andrew said Alastair and his mother were very close and he was genuinely devastated by her death.  Alastair wanted to resurrect her ghost but the others wouldn’t let him.”

“Do you still love dad?”  I asked.

“Hmm... hard to say,” she replied, “I just don’t know.  I’ve been faithful to him all this time.  I still get the occasional flowers and amorous hug.  I still get wishes to woohoo with him...”

Eww... more information than I needed to know I thought, but it was unclear to me whether she really wants to leave dad or just leave the dynasty lot.  There was just something in her voice when she talked about dad that meant it was not all done and dusted.

She continued, “But I can’t live in that house with all those bored elders, and so far, touch wood, I am not regretting it.  You two are my priority and we three can achieve anything we set our minds to.  So what are we going to do?  This house is only big enough for one and there’s not enough room for a garden.  Besides Alastair paid for this house, let’s go house hunting?”

As she ran to the door, Chris and I said in unison, “Money?”

She smiled sweetly and replied, “Oh I have money.  I kept every money bag I ever harvested and I have a dozen masterpieces in my inventory.  Did you know old Mrs Winston’s had an easel on her back porch?  She doesn’t even have a fence to keep out shameless trespassers?  Hmm... I also seem to have collected every car from the mansion’s parking lot.”  And with a swirl of heavenly perfume she waltzed out my front door...

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
Excellent. Absolutely excellent.

I love the backstory, the emotion, and especially Mum's rebellious streak. She is such a wonderful, lovable character and clearly adores her boys.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 7: A New Beginning
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
Duty Calls - Chapter 7:  A New Beginning

Mum grabbed the paper from my front lawn and turned straight to the Real Estate section.  Mum said, “There are a lot of houses for sale but I’d like to look around first.  Let’s go for a drive.”  The next thing I knew that we were all in great-great-great grandma Annette’s police cruiser driving up the hill.  Mum really had taken every car from the mansion lot.  Chris and I laughed a lot at that.

The first house we stopped at was a new house on the Redwood Parkway.  We all got out and looked around.  The views were magnificent and the house was modern with lots of glass to maximise the majestic views.  Mum read from the paper.  “This one is for sale at a good price.  It’s by Lynley1248 who is one of my favourite designers.  It is called Loess and has 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms so there’s lots of room for a growing family.  There’s even a fish pond for the keen angler," she said pointedly to Chris.

“I could certainly live with that view,” he said, "but I already have a house".

“That’s nice dear.  How many bedrooms?” she asked.

“One,” he answered, “Well, two if I move some stuff around.  You know, you’re right it is small and would suit a single person or a couple but not a family.  Just how much is this one?”

“Well within our budget” she said being unusually coy.  I wondered just how much did she have stashed away from harvesting money trees all that time.  Probably squillions, and there I was worried about not having a brass razoo if I didn’t return home.

“Okay”, she said, “that’s a definite maybe.  Let’s look at some more.”  We all piled back into the police cruiser and headed off.  I hope nobody thinks we’re all apprehended criminals or rebellious teens.

She stopped the cruiser just around the corner and we got out to look this new house over.  “This is another by Lynley1248 and it’s called the Augusta.  It’s another great home for a family.” Mum said looking directly at me.

“Okay mum, thanks for the tip.  I’m only just getting used to the idea that I could have a wife, but somehow, I think house hunting’s something a wife may like to be involved in.  I want a house with a good sized kitchen and room for a big garden.  She may be looking for a pool or something else.  She may not like the decor.  You know I’m not fussy about colours and things like that.” I shrugged.

“Ya think, bro!” interrupted Chris looking at my clothes.

“All right, let’s just look at all the houses on offer, and we’ll see if one really grabs you,” She said always ready to mediate between us like we were children again.  “There’s one more by Lynley1248 just along here somewhere.  It was in the next block and looked really first-rate.

There’s no fishing pond,” Chris said and the veggie garden is too small for Brandon.

“Hmm,” she said, casting her expert architectural designer eye over the house, “but you can move the playground equipment around and plant the garden on that side of the house.  It’s easy enough to do.  Shall I mark this one as a definite possibility?”

“Yeah sure, mum but I prefer a full fence.  You know the paparazzi can be hideous”.

“Okay, good to know you particularly want a fence.  You know it won’t cost a bomb to add a fence to anything you like.  There are plenty of houses that fit our criteria, like the Blue Oasis by Lilygirl and the Suburbian by PolarBair and the Perth Manor by Dellena has 7 bedrooms."

Chris shook his head, “No mum, not another Dynasty house.”

“Okay, how about the Asian Fusion by Katluvr.  It has a Zen garden that looks amazing.”

“You want to learn martial arts?” I asked.

“Not particularly, but I’m not ruling anything out.  Besides you could take out the martial arts equipment and just have a nice veggie patch in there instead.  But since you particularly want a fence, I’d like to see the house listed here by Judewright and MrsFlyn.  Individually, these two designers are fabulous, but in combination I think they could be awesome.”

Mum drove all the way over to the other side of town.  Good thing, the paper lists the GPS coordinates for the house because I’ve never been over this way before.  I didn’t need to.  We all got out and just stared at the house.

Chris spoke first.  “You know mum, you’re going to need a new superlative.  Awesome is an understatement.  This is perfect for us.  There’s plenty of space for Brandon’s garden, the ocean is at the back door for my fishing and there lots of room for those kids you want to raise.  And...” Chris said dragging out the word, “the Serenity Retreat is just next door.”

“I have a remarkable vocabulary with a range of superlatives,” she said, “but I agree, this house looks to be the perfect one for us right now.  So, are we all agreed on this one?” she asked to which Chris and I nodded.  “Okay let’s contact the agent about buying the house.  Then we’ll go to your house, Chris and collect your things and swing by Myrtle Cottage to get Brandon’s stuff and we’ll be moved in by nightfall.”

Jumping back into the police cruiser, we stopped at Chris’s house to collect his gear.  He said he already cleaned the house this morning.  At Myrtle Cottage, mum rang the agent, Chris cleaned the bathroom and I cleaned the kitchen. 

Locking the house for the final time, I was so excited, I didn’t notice the man standing beside the police cruiser.  Holy snapping turtles!... Dad!!!

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »
Oh no...this can't be good.  :o

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hazelstar

• Nooboo
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 04:13:48 AM »
0.o Update soon. This can't be good

Louise56

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 06:34:26 AM »
I enjoyed the house hunting. I hope dad isn't there to make trouble!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 8: The Best Laid Schemes of Mice and Men...
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
Duty Calls Chapter 8:  The Best Laid Schemes of Mice and Men...

Chris and I were rooted to the spot as dad just stood there watching us all, but even I could see his attention was squarely focused on mum.  His expression was blank and his demeanour as inscrutable as always.

Mum made the first move, “Chris, take the cruiser and return the keys to Myrtle Cottage then go to the new house.  I’ll talk with your father.”

“No, mum,” Chris said, “We’ll stay.  This is our confrontation too!”

“Thank you for your support, but I don’t need it,” she said matter-of-factly.  “I want some time alone to talk to Alastair.  You two can get settled into the house.  I’ll see you both later.”

“Mum, how about if Chris and I stay inside, you can have privacy to talk to dad out here, but knowing you have safety in numbers if you need it.” I suggested.

“Thank you again, but no,” she countered, “Your father is not a violent man.  I’ll be fine.  I just need the freedom to say some things I don’t want you boys to overhear.  Anyway, you particularly wanted to transplant some of those garden plants.  Now’s the time to do that.  I will see you soon.”

I gave mum a reassuring hug while Chris eyed our father balefully.  Dad waved a greeting to both of us but didn’t speak, or even attempt to shake hands, so grudgingly, Chris and I left.  In the car, Chris said we’ll go around the block just to make sure but as we cruised past the house, they were not in sight, so we returned the keys to Myrtle Cottage.  With the keys returned we had no choice but to go to the new house but not before Chris drove around the town. 

We drove past the Bistro and the Diner, even over to the coffee house but we didn’t see them.  This reminded me of the problems I had hunting for Chris earlier in the week.  Talk about deja vu.  In the car, Chris and I didn’t speak but I believe our tension and thoughts were in accord, “Where were they and what was happening?”  If mum isn’t at the new house by morning, I’m getting Ms Keaton, that cop who’s been harassing me for a date, to post a “Be On the Look Out” all over town for them.

When we arrived at the house, it seemed so forlorn all in darkness.  Call me crazy, but the house seemed to know it was missing a vital element, our dazzling effervescent mother.  I think I should persuade mum to render the house as it looks just a bit too much like our old mansion.  I went straight into the garden to find some peace and tranquillity and Chris decided to help me instead of going fishing which I expected him do as this was his usual stress release.

He looked around the garden in the moonlight.  It was almost magical.  “Ahhh,” he said, “Feel the serenity.  Love the serenity.  Mate, all you need now is a bug zapper to complete the scene.”  I smiled.  Chris had always had a liking for quirky Australian movies and “The Castle” was as apt a metaphor as any other.  Except, for me, this house would not be my castle until mum was here.

“By the way,” Chris said interrupting my thoughts, “I’ve given you the beige bedroom beside the art nook, I’ve taken the blue room and I put mum’s things in the big bedroom.  We can swap later if you don’t like the arrangements.  So... how can I help?”

I told him my plans and we set to work.  Chris helped me erect the new Swiftgro gardening stations. Then we began transplanting the plants within the range of the stations.  These stations were supposed to save me a bucket load of time every day.  Given that the garden at the mansion took several hours every day to tend and this garden was bigger, I was willing to try anything.  After we’d transplanted everything the way I wanted it, we fertilized and watered.  This really was quicker than hand so I left Chris to it and began to tend to the bees.

Chris said, “Funny how you can hire a butler, a maid, a babysitter, a repairman, a DJ or a mixologist.  I wonder why we can’t hire a gardener?”

“Because they’d keep all the produce as they harvest just like mum did with the money trees”, I replied.

“Oh, right, of course!” he said, “Still maybe a gardener could just weed the garden instead of harvest, sort of like the reverse of the wild plants which you can’t tend but can only harvest.”

“That’s worth a thought,” I said grunting as I got stung again.  “I remember hearing that the dynasty founder had a stack of people to help him with the gardening.  Now all he does is planting and the spares tend the gardens. [Phone rings]  What is it with this town, why does my phone always ring when I’ve got my hands full.  “Grab that for me Chris. Back pocket!”  By the time Chris got the phone it has stopped ringing. “So who was it?”

“I don’t know the caller ID.  Want me to call it back?” he replied.

“Dear God no, it’s probably another woman calling for a date again.  The last thing I want to do is to encourage one of them.  I swear my back is going to break.  When does that retreat open in the morning, I’m going to need a massage?”

“I think maybe it’s a 24/7 kind of operation but we can check it out in the morning, speaking of which, it is morning,” he said stopping briefly to look at his watch then scanning the limited view we had of the road. “If I’m not dead by morning, I’ll treat you to that massage.  Why anyone would choose to do this day after day, beats me.  In the mean time, bend at the knees to save your back.”

I do this because I’m a green thumb and I love the outdoors.  I’m programmed to it.  I know that Chris’s small talk was simply his coping mechanism.  He needed to crack jokes and chatter because it helped him not worry about us having left mum alone with dad.  Still I wish Chris would save his breath and just work.  My lower back is killing me and I pong.  If I survive tonight, I’m getting an outdoor shower and a coffee machine.

Chris and I worked without saying another word but I knew that Chris was as worried about mum as I was.  Mum is right, dad is not hot-headed but still there was something very bizarre, albeit not menacing, about the way he just stood there not saying anything.

Every time car headlights appeared on the road, Chris and I would momentarily stop, hoping it was mum in a taxi or perhaps one of the other cars she’s stashed in her inventory.  Whenever the headlights passed by, Chris sighed heavily and I realised that I too had held my breath.  I let out my breath and got back to work.  When Chris suddenly keeled over, I realised just how late is really was and mum still hadn’t come home.  I left Chris sleeping where he was, I was too tired to even try to help him to his feet.  If I wasn’t so tired, I go for a swim in that enticing refreshing pool.

My subconscious kept chanting “Please be okay Mum.  Please be okay.  Please be okay”.  Wherever mum was, she’d be just as tired as we are, but like Chris, I was probably just going to work til I dropped because sleep would be impossible.

As the first rays of morning sun crept over the horizon, Chris’s cell phone rang.  I woke him to take the call.  Chris smiled, the caller ID said it was mum’s phone.  Then I watched increasingly worried as every bit of colour leached from his face.  When he hung up, with a shocked expression, he said, “That was Donnovan Steel, the guy I met on the plane.  Coincidently, he’s a police officer in Lucky Palms.  A meteor crashed into the Lucky Simoleon Casino and he’s calling from a cell phone which somehow survived the carnage.  He said he hit redial.”  Chris’s mouth opened but no sound came out.  Then he choked out the words his voice full of tears, “It’s mum’s phone!  Donnovan said there were no survivors!”

I fainted...

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 8: The Best Laid Schemes of Mice and Men...
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
...yeah, it can't be good. :o

I wonder how she got to Lucky Palms so quickly? Or maybe it wasn't her, but someone who had her phone. At least I'm hoping that's the case! She was too sweet to die in such a horrid manner!

Poor Chris and Brandon!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 9: Stranger Than Fiction...
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 01:22:01 AM »
Duty Calls - Chapter 9:  Stranger than Fiction...

I woke up damp, groggy and disoriented and hoped that the events of last night had been nothing but a terrible dream.  I was exhausted and stunk to high heaven.  I looked around for Chris but he wasn’t anywhere to be seen.  I went into the house and called but he didn’t respond.  I dragged my sorry butt into a welcome and long overdue hot shower and crawled into bed.  I took a couple of sleeping pills to help me sleep but as I lay there, I thought about the phone call I’d missed.  I grabbed my phone and sure enough the caller left a message.

“Hi Brandon and Chris, it’s mum.  I guess you’re both really busy so I’ll be brief.  I’m on an air phone!  I won’t be home tonight after all because I’m on a plane!”  I could hear the excitement in her voice.  “Alastair is taking me on a mystery holiday, somewhere where we can relax and wind down.  Please be happy for me, boys, I really want to work things out with Alastair.  Who knows, I might get lucky!  I’ll call you in the morning, your time.  Love you both.  Speak to you soon.”

Something in that message bothered me but the pills had taken their hold and I drifted off.  In my dreams I heard mum’s phone message over and over and over.  I awoke to hearing it again, then realised that it was Chris in my room with my cell phone playing the message again and again.

As I got up and made the bed he looked up.  “Thank goodness!” he said relief evident in his voice, “I was just about to call an ambulance and get you to the hospital.  How many of those little pills did you take?”

“Only two,” I said, “I’m not stupid, my body just needed sleep but my brain would let me.  Where were you anyway, I could have fallen into that dratted fountain in my sleep and drowned?”

“I left a note on the fridge,” he said.  “I went to the cemetery.  I want to have mum and dad buried here in Sunset Valley, not in Lucky Palms or back in Simfield.  So I’ve got a nice double plot.  I’ve arranged with Donnovan Steel that as soon as the bodies are positively identified, that they would be brought here.  He said he would liaise with the police here in Sunset Valley.”

He sighed deeply, “I rang the mansion and grandfather Arthur answered.  I told him the news.  As you’d expect the elders blamed me.  If I hadn’t left, Alastair would still be home, yada yada yada...  I told them I was bringing their bodies here.  They objected to that too and berated me some more.  They can like it or lump it.  I’m the heir and I can call the shots, now.”

“Chris,” I said trying to swallow the lump in my throat, “I don’t think I can stay here in Sunset Valley without mum.”

“Okay I can understand that, you and mum were real close.  So where do you think you might go?” he asked.

“Maybe Moonlight Falls or Sunlit Tides?  I don’t really know.  I just know I can’t stay in this house without mum."

“I’m staying here.” He said in the same matter-of-fact voice mum uses when the discussion is closed, “If you go off to those places just remember that those towns are new and any number of watchers will grab you as a dynasty founder.  Or you could be turned into a vampire, or werewolf or heaven forbid, a zombie.  I know you don’t want that.”

“No, you’re right about that.  I’ve had it with dynasties.  But a witch or a fairy sounds acceptable,” I replied.  “How about I stay until after the bodies are returned” my voice choked up, “and then we’ll take it from there.”

“Fine,” he said, “that suits me too.  By the way, I’ve taken a job at the Military Base and I start tomorrow.  How about you consider a job too?”

“That’s an odd choice, given that you’re neither athletic nor handy and you have to start out cleaning dunnies.  Yuk!  Why the military?” I asked.

“Because when I get to be an astronaut, I could do an Armageddon and blast meteors out the sky!” and he turned and strode out of my room.  Chris really does watch too many movies.

A few minutes later Chris yelled from the front hall, “I’m going fishing at Stoney Falls, want to come too?”

“No” I yelled down the stairs, “I’ve got bees and plants to attend to.”

“Yeah, okay.  Later!” he called.

I lazed around the house for the rest of the morning thinking about what career would suit me.  I had been going to be a chef so I could continue to make ambrosia for the elders, so maybe I’ll have a go at that since I’m a natural cook anyway or maybe just a full time gardener.

Mid afternoon, I felt like going back into the garden to harvest the produce.  The phone rang again and this time I answered it straight away.  Unfortunately it was Erin Kennedy asking for a date.  This town really is either glitched or overrun with desperate ladies. 

Just as dusk was falling I saw the lights of the police car pull up out front and initially, I thought it was Chris returning home but it was Ms Keaton.  What does she want?  Oh she’s in uniform, this can’t be good.  They can’t have identified the bodies already could they?  I thought it was only on the TV that DNA results were back within hours.  I heard that it actually took weeks.

I wish Chris was here.  I just can’t deal with this right now.

Ms Keaton introduced herself officially as if she hadn’t hit on me only a few days ago.  “Good evening Mr St Clair.  I have been asked to investigate a substantial insurance claim lodged against Langraaab Insurance for the contents of Mrs St Clair’s inventory.” She began coldly.

What? I thought.  Someone lodged an insurance claim already?  That had to be the elders, Chris wouldn’t even think to do that so soon.  Besides I heard the insurance company always just paid up after a meteor strike.  I’d never heard of an investigation, no matter what the sum involved.

“I don’t understand.  What information do you need?” I asked.

“Do you know what the contents of Mrs St Clair’s inventory was.” She asked politely.

“Not exactly, a couple of cars, some paintings, some money bags, and the usual, High School certificate, some books maybe, I’m not sure what else.” I replied.

“Can you confirm that she had twelve masterpiece paintings valued at approximately §34,000, four vehicles, specifically one Empire Eidolon, one Margaret Vaguester, and two Bwan Speedster YL’s, 106 money bags valued at approximately §57,000, three books, specifically: “Llama Rights”, “Special Snowflake” and “Not Expecting Much”, one MultiTab 6000, one Sonoflux Guitar, one XS 4258p Laptop from Landgraab Industries, one High School Diploma, and one cell phone?” she stated with a voice that grew colder with each item she listed.

I didn’t understand the animosity I was sure I was receiving, so I replied equally coldly, “Yes I believe those were the items in my mother’s inventory.”

“Your mother’s inventory, Mr St Clair?” Justine Keaton asked incredulously.

“Yes, Officer Keaton, Audrey St Clair was my mother.” I replied icily.

Was, Mr St Clair?” she asked puzzled.

“Yes, Officer Keaton.  Isn’t this in relation to the contents of her inventory at the time of her death at the meteor strike in Lucky Palms?” I asked now equally bewildered.

“No, Mr St Clair,” she said looking at me as if I’m as nutty as Gus Hart.  “This is in relation to the theft of Mrs St Clair’s personal belongings at the Sunset Valley airport last evening,”

Or maybe it wasn't her, but someone who had her phone. At least I'm hoping that's the case!

Am I that transparent RaiaDraconis, or are you incredibly intuitive?

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 9: Stranger than Fiction...
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 04:36:19 AM »
Neither, I assure you. :P I was just hopeful that such a sweet character wasn't destined for the graveyard so quickly!

This is an intriguing twist. The plot thickens!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Duty Calls Chapter 10: The Best News Ever
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 05:33:16 AM »
Duty Calls - Chapter 10: The Best News Ever

“Let me get this straight, Officer Keaton.” I wanted to have perfect clarity in this. “Last evening, at the Sunset Valley airport, before she boarded her flight, my mother’s personal effects were stolen?”

“That is the alleged chain of events”, she confirmed.

“So if my mother’s cell phone was recovered from the meteor strike at Lucky Palms, it could be the thief among the dead and not my mother?” I emphasised that last word as if my very life depended on it.

“As I understand it, Mr St Clair, your mother,” she paused and I nodded hanging on every word, “Mrs Audrey St Clair, was to board a flight to France at the time of the alledged theft.  If her cell phone has been found in Lucky Palms, I would think it was unlikely to have been with your mother... unless...” she paused once more and again I was hanging on every word, “unless she has a gambling problem and this may indeed be insurance fraud.”

“That’s outrageous!” I exclaimed. “My father is Alastair St Clair from the Simfield St Clairs, my mother has no need to commit insurance fraud!”

“Oh!” she said unapologetic, “Well if that’s the case, perhaps she’s swaning around Champs Les Sims in her Jimmy Choos and some poor thief is lying on the slab in the Lucky Palms morgue.”

“Your poor thief, Officer Keaton, has put my family through hell today!” I countered icily, “Maybe there is truth in that old adage that crime doesn’t pay.”

“Ha!  Well Mr St Clair, you are mistaken, crime pays extremely well, it Law Enforcement that doesn’t pay more than a pittance.  I believe what you mean is Karma.  Everybody in Law Enforcement wants to believe in Karma, it’s our only hope sometimes.  Here’s my card if you have anything further to add to your statement regarding the inventory of Mrs St Clair.”

Justine Keaton said goodbye and left but turned as she reached the gate, “Oh, and Brandon,” she said, “If you’re interested in a date call me.”

“Thank you Officer Keaton... Mrs Keaton, but no.  I don’t date married women.”  Despite feeling this indescribable euphoric relief that would normally have seen me hugging the bearer of such fantastic news, I kept my hands to myself and my voice as neutral as I could.  When the police cruiser drove off, I yelled the biggest “Yeeeehah” my lungs could muster.  Mr Koffi next door must think lunatics have moved in beside him.

Then I called a cab to go to Stoney Falls to tell Chris the news.  In the cab I mulled over the evening’s events.  I have to admit I was puzzled about Mrs Keaton’s strange behaviour.  I went over the conversation from start to finish and my only conclusion is that she thought my mother was my wife, my very rich wife.  As soon as I acquainted her with the truth about our family, she softened dramatically.  Maybe she is need of a rich husband as her muscled bound hunk is still only a Minor Professional Sports and she only a Patrol Officer.  I don’t know what salaries they’re paid but perhaps it is not much.  Maybe I should have been more discreet about disclosing who we are, I don’t want the press to harass us over these events. 

Chris had packed up his fishing gear and was getting ready to leave.  I ran straight up to him and hugged him.  In a voice two octaves higher than usual, I blurted out, “It wasn’t mum.  Her phone was stolen. It isn’t mum and dad who died in the meteor strike but some dumb thief with a gambling problem”.

Chris looked at me as if I’d taken leave of my senses and said, “You want to run that past me again, slowly...”

Trying to, but failing to find a tone that sounded anything like my normal voice, I poured out the story stumbling over my words.  “Last night before mum and dad boarded a plane for France,” I heavily emphasised the word, France, “Mum’s personal effects were stolen by a thief including her cell phone.”  Mum and dad are in France, not in the morgue in Lucky Palms!”

“How did you reach that conclusion?” he asked with a tone which implied that I had just gone stark raving mad.  “Have you been drinking those sorrow annihilators at the Recurve Strand?”

“No!” I said too exhilarated to be offended, “I’ve just had a visit from Officer Keaton about an insurance claim on the contents of mum’s allegedly stolen inventory.  I believe the claim had to have been lodged by mum because the claim was so specific about what items were stolen.”

“Then why hasn’t mum or dad phoned.  Mum’s message clearly said she was going to call us this morning.  She didn’t.  How do we know that mum didn’t get a new phone the minute she got to Lucky Palms and have her new phone cloned to her old number or something equally technologically complicated?”

“Can that be done?” I asked, “After I threw my phone in the lake at Summer Hills, I didn’t get the same number back.  I got a whole new phone and spent hours imputing all the data onto the sim card.”

“That’s because you brought the el-cheapo model.” Chris countered, “I doubt dad would buy the same for mum.  But you’ve just given me a new thought.  I can ask Donnovan Steel to run checks on dad’s credit card and cell phone for usage since the meteor strike.”

“And I just realised something!” I screeched doing the ‘oh my god, she’s having a baby dance’, “Dad has a death flower.  He couldn’t have died, he’s an immortal.  He’d give the death flower to Grim and just have his age reset to the beginning of elder.  Dad couldn’t have died, there would have been at least one survivor, if mum and dad had been there.  It’s not them, it’s not!”  I began dancing beside the lake.  At this point I was sure I could walk on water.

“Okay so why hasn’t mum phoned?”  Chris asked doing his level best to bring me down to earth.

“Who knows?  Maybe she got lucky.  That’s what she said, didn’t she?  Maybe try for a baby.  That’s what she’s always wanted, more children.  Maybe they had a very energetic afternoon / evening / night, maybe she is just jet lagged and isn’t even awake yet.  I DON’T KNOW!” I shrieked, “But I do know that she is not dead.  Dad is not dead.  As the eldest son, you would automatically receive all the items from their inventory on their death.  SHE’S ALIVE!”  I shouted to the moon, the adrenaline surge has the hairs standing up all over my body.  I can feel my heart beating a gazillion beats to the minute and I didn’t care.

“Keep it down, Brandon, or you’ll wake the dead!” Chris cautioned.

“Yes!  I want to wake the dead!  I want to wake up the entire town and tell them that my mother is alive!  I’m going to tell that journalist lady and she can put it across the front page of the newspaper.  I want to tell the whole world, the galaxy, the universe” I shouted hysterically at him.

“Brandon, I know this really nice doctor.  How about we swing by her house and she can give you something to help you get out of this hyper state.  I believe you that mum is still alive.  You’re right about the death flower and the inventory.  Everything makes more sense with the thief scenario and I’m so relieved I could kiss you.  But I won’t because you’re way too excited as it is.  Just get in the car.”

Aware that my body could not sustain this incredible adrenaline rush, I accepted Chris’s offer to see his lady friend.  She answered the door on the first knock.  He told Doctor Jolina that we’d just been given the most stupendous news and I was off my rocker with an adrenaline surge.

She examined my eyes and then asked Chris, “has he had taken any medication or alcohol in the last 24 hours”.

Chris told her about the sleeping pills I had taken but didn’t know if I had been drinking.  “I didn’t!" I interjected irritated that they were treating me like I’m not capable of answering.

She said to Chris, “He’s exhibiting symptoms of an anxiety state.  I won’t give him more medication.  Take him home, get him into a really hot bath and then get him to relax on top of the bed.”

“I’m not deaf you know, I can hear you!” I exclaimed petulantly.

Then she raised a quizzical eyebrow at Chris.  He shrugged then said, “My brother, don’t ask, long story.  I’ll tell you another time.”

"I can see he's your brother.  You never mentioned him before."  She spoke directly to me, “Do I have to repeat all that?” I shook my head and she continued.  “Lie on top of the bed.  It’s important that your body cools.  If you feel up to it, grab a book you’ve already read, one with a happy ending and read the parts of the book you enjoyed most so your mind doesn’t become over stimulated.  As your body slowly cools, the hysteria should wear off and you can sleep naturally after that.  And for goodness sake, repeat the body heat up and cool down process next time you can’t sleep instead of taking pills.”  I nodded in response wondering why my body isn’t already too hot because my blood feels like it is almost boiling in my veins.

Chris told her he’d take me to a sauna, he would make sure my body heats up.

“A sauna is good, but as soon as he starts to sweat, get him out,” replied Dr Jolina smiling at Chris, “And make sure he drinks lots of water, not coffee, or juice or nectar or mood drinks, just plain water.”  I may have gone slightly troppo but I still saw the way the doc smiled at Chris.

Chris and I drove home in silence.  We went down to the basement to the sauna.  I said to Chris, “I didn’t know we had a second basement?”

“Yeah well I had to do something while you were zonked out this morning.  The renderers are coming tomorrow because I have too many bad memories of that stonework.” he replied.  Well, we are twins so we often think alike but he’d taken on the role of head of the household way too soon.

The sauna was soothing and so hot!  Chris and I talked about trivial things and anything but what could be happening between mum and day in France.  When we both began sweating, he called time out and we went upstairs to bed.

One thing at a time, tomorrow we’ll work at trying to find out where mum and dad are and why they haven’t called...

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Louise56

Re: Duty Calls Chapter 10: The Best News Ever
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 07:07:14 AM »
I wonder what is going on in France! I'm glad the parents are alive. :)