Author Topic: Moving Sims 3 store downloads to new computer  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Lytaren

• Llama Wrangler
Moving Sims 3 store downloads to new computer
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:30:31 AM »
Hi all,
I just got a new computer, pretty much ready for seasons later this week.  Unfortunately I now live in a very remote area of Australia and have VERY slow and limited Internet downloads, for example I'm currently downloading Union Cove and it will probably take 5 hours! Is there a safe way to move my downloaded store content from my old laptop to install on my new computer?
Is it as simple as moving the folder they belong in, and of so what is the step by step process?
Also, just as a side, I lost my base game id code (ive moved twice and accross the country since my last reinstall) so had to use a new one, will this affect this process at all, I have heard that I won't be able to download to this game with my current account. 
I don't really mind if my old store content is tagged as 'custom content' as long as  have it in my game someway!
Thanks in advance!

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Moving Sims 3 store downloads to new computer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:01:08 AM »
Hi all,
I just got a new computer, pretty much ready for seasons later this week.  Unfortunately I now live in a very remote area of Australia and have VERY slow and limited Internet downloads, for example I'm currently downloading Union Cove and it will probably take 5 hours! Is there a safe way to move my downloaded store content from my old laptop to install on my new computer?
Is it as simple as moving the folder they belong in, and of so what is the step by step process?
Thanks in advance!

If you already have the Store Content downloaded on your old computer you can simply get a USB and move those download files into the Downloads folder on your new computer and they will show up. I normally do that when I do a reinstall (Move the downloads to a different folder, reinstall then move them back.) It shouldn't make any difference to your game.  :)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Moving Sims 3 store downloads to new computer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
Hi all,
Also, just as a side, I lost my base game id code (ive moved twice and accross the country since my last reinstall) so had to use a new one, will this affect this process at all, I have heard that I won't be able to download to this game with my current account. 
I don't really mind if my old store content is tagged as 'custom content' as long as  have it in my game someway!
Thanks in advance!

Hi, Lytaren.

Since you're using a new CD Key for Sims 3 Base Game, you'll need to make sure you register the key on thesims3.com in your account. Then, re-download your store items and install them. Otherwise, the game won't recognize you as the owner of the store content.

Hope this helps. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!