Author Topic: Can I re-download game update 4.2?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline beardeux

• Occult
Can I re-download game update 4.2?
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
hi,  I've noticed since the update 4.2 that some of my neighbourhoods have lost a couple things.  In the novels I no longer have romance and mystery which I was writing, (as well as the horror and poetry which I don't have the EP Supernatural for but the option was there).  This item seems to be present in all neighbourhoods.

Some of my pet owners who made the gourmet pet food no longer have that option on the fridge while other pet owners without cooking skills can make 5 types of foods.  Non pet owners also have the option.

These are the two main items I've detected.  Can I re-download the game update 4.2.  The launcher shows my game is up to date.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Nice things come in small packages.
Timing is everything.

Offline Miketech

• Nooboo
Re: can I re-download game update 4.2
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »
Try this link. This is a super-patcher...it might let you do what you want.

http://www.playerattack.com/file/33093/The-Sims-3-Patch-1.42-Full-PC-All-Regions/

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
Re: Can I re-download game update 4.2?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
Miketech,  Thanks for your suggestion.  I did get the patch and it installed fine.  I still don't show the option for the horror & poetry books, but as I don't have the EP Supernatural, I'm not going to worry about it.  However, the mystery and romance were back for my skilled writer.  Yeah.  That was my biggest concern.  I've also discovered through another character (never having used the skilled writers for writing any books - it was just a skill to get,) that the book genres are related to the level of skill.  The one with lower skills didn't have as many options.  He gained a level and with that a new genre appeared.

I also didn't get my sims options to make the gourmet pet food back.  I've had him talking with a friend who's a natural cook.  I'll also try the TV.  He'll just have to get them back.  He's a cook and has learned every recipe at home and abroad.  So it was strange to loose the pet recipes he'd had.

At any rate, I think it's all fine now.  Thankfully, no serious damage.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline Miketech

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »
Glad that some of your issues are fixed. As for the rest of it the only thing I can recommend is to reinstall the whole game. If you decide to do that make sure to back up your save files!

To back up saved files:

Go to my Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/

Copy "SavedSims" "SavedOutfits" "Saves" "Mods" and "Downloads" and "Screenshots" folders to another location. (I use the desktop).

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »
Before trying to reinstall you might try a factory reset and see if that helps.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I am constantly saving my saved games in a separate file on a separate drive.  I've only done a re-install once a long time ago and it went fine.  I've never done a factory reset but I'll definitely keep that in mind.  Might save a lot of trouble.

If there have been updates to the game, would bringing in a older version of a saved file have that update applied to it.  I sometimes wonder if that could pose problems. 
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.