Author Topic: Totally New to Mods/Just need to fix my lag  (Read 5503 times)

Offline ZacSz

• Llama Wrangler
Totally New to Mods/Just need to fix my lag
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:11:36 AM »
Hey all,

I'll keep this quick... with every new EP my game gets slower and slower. Now that I've installed Seasons, it's almost unplayable. I've never used mods before this but the game isn't enjoyable the way it's working now. What mods, if any, are meant solely to help speed up your game and help with lag?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Totally New to Mods/Just need to fix my lag
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »
Twallans overwatch mod gets rid of cars and sims that get stuck.  If you go to his site nrass.com and read what each mod does, that might help.  Just be sure and back up files and get all of the information you can before you install.  You might want to do some clean up on your computer first and see if that helps, like defrag and clean out some folders.  I know in my game, the mod got rid of 134 cars and unsticks at least 20 sims per night.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline 7S1MZ

• Nooboo
  • Ready when you are, Sergeant Pembry.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »
lag :) I know the feelings. Overwatch is a great mod it does an auto cleanup at 03:00 (derelicts and tv etc.) Also try clearing your DCBackup folder. If have ccmerged leave it there (some instances will auto gen ccmerged. DC Backup is a copy of CC installed. You do not need it. Also can try clearing your world and sim caches. If use custom content IE in package format. Is good to merge similar types using S3PE. Can give link if needed. I did what have just said and noticed reduced lag and faster Z times (sleep.)

Offline ZacSz

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
So before I go installing anything, can I totally clear the DC Backup, world and sim cache folders without fear of anything being affected? It sounds that way, but I'm just double checking. Not trying to stray too far off from the mod discussion but if I can avoid using them I've always preferred not to.

Offline 7S1MZ

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
DCBackup is safe to clear. Just look for a file called ccmerged. If you have it let it stay there. Remember Murphys Law.

If anything can go wrong it will.
Back up your saves.

I delete DCBackup often to improve frame rate and eliminate (to a degree lag.)

Regards

7S1MZ

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
So before I go installing anything, can I totally clear the DC Backup, world and sim cache folders without fear of anything being affected? It sounds that way, but I'm just double checking. Not trying to stray too far off from the mod discussion but if I can avoid using them I've always preferred not to.

In the DCBackup folder keep the file called ccmerged.package. Everything else you can delete.

I also recommend Overwatch. My game becomes unplayable without it in a few sim weeks because of lag.
If you've never used mods before you might want to look at our info for installing mods also
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
I have a ton of mods; but, my issue with lag is due to routing issues in the towns I'm playing. Sims get stuck and the mds try to correct it. Haven't played a world yet without routing issues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ChaiLatte

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
I also recommend Twallan's Overwatch. Master Controller has town cleanup options too.

How often should I delete my World caches? I have been doing it every few days, but I wonder if that's too much.

Offline Gameactive

• Testing Cheats Enabler
  • Townie
  • “But making clichéd Sims is my specialty…”
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
I run my preprogrammed batch file to clean up cache files every time I quit, or when it crashes.
Overwatch does its job very well. It sometimes removes up to 70 vehicles in a single night!
ErrorTrap tries its best to keep save files at a reasonable size, and it’s fairly worthwhile. Just remember to update it after every patch.

I also run some other NRaas mods but they don’t help the game lag less. In fact, StoryProgression probably makes it worse. :D
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back!” - Cave Johnson, Portal 2
“You ought to upgrade to Windows 7!”, they said. “It’ll help your games run so much better!”, they said. If I see them again, then they had better know how to stabilize an on-the-fritz copy of The Sims 3 that was working just fine on Windows XP.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:34:37 AM »
Wow! So many cars (the most I've had is 14)! I installed Overwatch to play-test my world to make sure there are no sims getting stuck. The only route-fail alerts I've had have been a) someone is using something a sim wants; b) horses don't have enough room to 'gallop around'. Spiral stairs still may need to be fixed, as they seem to bork every time I export, but I did read about a possible solution. Other than that it's doing really well. I've had a couple of short freezes (animations continue, but the clock stops), but I haven't been able to link them to anything yet - all different times, days, actions etc.

Offline ZacSz

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 09:17:03 AM »
Speaking of lag (and everything lagging), even the load screen is very slow nowadays... I believe it started After installing supernatural. Any idea what can be causing this? It's literally been taking me 10 minutes just to get into a game! Nothing has changed on my computer.

Thanks for all the replies, it's all very helpful. Ill do some reading on this; I've also tried deleting DCBackup.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
On the nrass site, someone said 12,000 cars were removed.  I can't imagine playing without the mods that clean everything up.  Also, about every other night, I do a resetsim *, around 1am.  That also helps in the stuck sims, so using that and the mods, helps tremendously.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline 7S1MZ

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
Speaking of lag (and everything lagging), even the load screen is very slow nowadays... I believe it started After installing supernatural. Any idea what can be causing this? It's literally been taking me 10 minutes just to get into a game! Nothing has changed on my computer.

Thanks for all the replies, it's all very helpful. Ill do some reading on this; I've also tried deleting DCBackup.

Okay :)
Good place to start Ccleaner. If have it already ok. Is great for cleanup.
Defrag your HDD.
Clear your world cache files. Start/Documents/ EA/ The sims 3/ WorldCaches.
How big is your saved game by the way ?
Sometimes a fresh install of the sims will help.
Usually do not need to go that far.

Hope that helps. If not will try again ;)

Regards.

7S1MZ

Also try this :)

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/technicalhelp/slowgame.php

Edit.... Reason forgot something.

On average Overwatch clears 5 to 7 cars a night for me.