Author Topic: Help with running TS3 on Ubuntu Linux  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Galena

• Townie
Help with running TS3 on Ubuntu Linux
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I have been absent from these forums for several months, as I have been unable to get TS3 working on my PC after I installed Ubuntu. The Wine AppDB page says TS3 should work well, however, even after trying to follow a few online guides I have not been able to launch TS3.  The game installs without problems, but when I try to start the game, nothing happens!  Hopefully someone can help me.

Computer Specs:
-Computer-
Processor      : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU        P6200  @ 2.13GHz
Memory      : 2815MB
Operating System      : Ubuntu 12.10
I couldn't find my graphics card's information, but I pretty sure it has 128mb graphical RAM
My Builds
Sweetwater Cafe and Nectary
Growing Family Home
Sunset Valley Fire Department
Savey Simoleon Mall
I welcome suggestions and constructive criticism about any of my builds on their threads.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Help with running TS3 on Ubuntu Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
Sims is not compatible with Ubuntu.

I have Ubuntu on my laptop (was the only way to salvage any part of it, considering it was a new laptop,   :-\). It is only compatible with Macs and PCs.

So question, do you have duel operating systems? If you're looking into Sims the best way to do it and keep Ubuntu (which is a nice operating system) is to install Windows alongside it. You can split the harddrive and when you boot the computer when you want to play Sims you'll simply choose to go to Windows rather than Ubuntu.
Best advice I can give you. Sorry.  :-\

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I have been absent from these forums for several months, as I have been unable to get TS3 working on my PC after I installed Ubuntu. The Wine AppDB page says TS3 should work well, however, even after trying to follow a few online guides I have not been able to launch TS3.  The game installs without problems, but when I try to start the game, nothing happens!  Hopefully someone can help me.

Computer Specs:
-Computer-
I couldn't find my graphics card's information, but I pretty sure it has 128mb graphical RAM

Hi, Galena.

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop. I haven't played with it much yet (just installed it tonight, heh). I haven't worked much with Wine in the past, but I will see what I can find on the Internet.

You may need to up the memory in your laptop in order to run the game well. In my experience, Sims 3 doesn't run well in 2 GB and probably less well since you're running in under emulation library. I have a license for CrossOver (which uses Wine as a base) so that may help in configuring things. And, there is a program built on Wine and custom bash scripts called PlayOnLinux that also lists Sims 3 as compatible. However, one thing I did see on their page is that you have to run TS3W.exe directly - the launcher doesn't work in Linux. Neither does Shop mode.

I'm not well-versed in Linux, but I'm always up for a challenge (the laptop I'm using is currently dual-booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10). I'll let you know what I find out, but it may take a little time. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:33:08 PM »
Hi Galena.

Unfortunately I'm running into problems configuring Ubuntu to work properly with my laptop. In spite of following instructions on installing and configuring Ubuntu 12.10 for my laptop, I managed to completely mess up the OS twice. Fortunately, I was using Wubi to work with it, so my Windows 8 installation wasn't affected.

I may try one more time before I completely give up, but I may not have a lot of time to work on it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

thesweetestpea

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »

Computer Specs:
-Computer-

It's possible to make TS3 run on Ubuntu Linux, but Wine is not the best method of doing so. Let me do some research and get back to you on this one, Galena. I know that I have seen it done before.

Offline Galena

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Hi, Galena.

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop. I haven't played with it much yet (just installed it tonight, heh). I haven't worked much with Wine in the past, but I will see what I can find on the Internet.

You may need to up the memory in your laptop in order to run the game well. In my experience, Sims 3 doesn't run well in 2 GB and probably less well since you're running in under emulation library. I have a license for CrossOver (which uses Wine as a base) so that may help in configuring things. And, there is a program built on Wine and custom bash scripts called PlayOnLinux that also lists Sims 3 as compatible. However, one thing I did see on their page is that you have to run TS3W.exe directly - the launcher doesn't work in Linux. Neither does Shop mode.

I'm not well-versed in Linux, but I'm always up for a challenge (the laptop I'm using is currently dual-booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10). I'll let you know what I find out, but it may take a little time. :)

Flynn

I had tried PlayOnLinux several months ago, and I couldn't get it to work.  I'll try it again, since what they use has probably changed since then.  I'm also planning to upgrade my laptop's RAM in the near future.

It's possible to make TS3 run on Ubuntu Linux, but Wine is not the best method of doing so. Let me do some research and get back to you on this one, Galena. I know that I have seen it done before.

I didn't know Wine had any alternatives.  I do know there is some software that uses it as a base (CrossOver, PlayOnLinux), are you talking about one of those?
My Builds
Sweetwater Cafe and Nectary
Growing Family Home
Sunset Valley Fire Department
Savey Simoleon Mall
I welcome suggestions and constructive criticism about any of my builds on their threads.