Author Topic: Sims 3 and Laptops?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Wiker12

• Insane Sims addict
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Yes, I'm Insane. Get over it.
    • World of Tribes
Sims 3 and Laptops?
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »
Ok, I don't know if this has been asked before but, how well does Sims 3 work on a laptop? I am asking this because my computer died ( :( ) and the only other computer-ish thing we have is the laptop I'm on now.
Thanks, Wiker12
Expansion packs I own:World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural and Seasons.

Stuff Packs I own: Outdoor Living, Town Life, High End Loft

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 3 and Laptops?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
It really depends on the specs of the laptop. Just as desktop computers vary and some will and some wont play Sims, laptops vary too, so you can't just say that the game will or will not run on it. Do you know the specs of the laptop?
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:50 PM »
Depends on the Laptop. For instance, I have a computer I bought in August last year and it runs Sims perfectly fine, albeit with a bit of lag every now and again, and the fan overworks a little.

Offline Wiker12

• Insane Sims addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • World of Tribes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »
Yea, and they are slightly better then my normal computer. So, it should work?
Expansion packs I own:World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural and Seasons.

Offline Wiker12

• Insane Sims addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • World of Tribes
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:46 PM »
Thanks

Offline thesimslover828

• Playing The Sims 3 again, WooHoo!!!
  • Immortal
  • Death To The Visitors, V Is For Victory
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »
Ok, I don't know if this has been asked before but, how well does Sims 3 work on a laptop? I am asking this because my computer died ( :( ) and the only other computer-ish thing we have is the laptop I'm on now.
Thanks, Wiker12
I play on a laptop and have so since I started playing The Sims 3, it works fine. I play it on the highest graphic settings, it depends on the computer though. Do you have 128 MB dedicated video memory, how much RAM do you have? Mine has 4 GB RAM and I have the 128 dedicated video memory. I've found you can still play a game if you don't have the dedicated video memory for it, you only have to lower the graphic settings.   
We are of peace, always but this is war.
We are of peace, always.
We'll help build a resistance. We have to fight.

When all you've ever loved has been stolen from you, sometimes all you have left is revenge.
For the truly wronged, satisfaction can be found in one of two places,  absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story about forgiveness. When deception cuts this deep, someone has to pay.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:17:55 PM »
Yea, and they are slightly better then my normal computer. So, it should work?

Not necessarily because sometimes it's a fluke that the game will run on a computer.  The fluke may not exist on another computer with slightly better specs. 

Although it's possible to get a laptop that will run the game, my personal opinion is to stay with a desktop if you can.  I don't feel that laptops are really designed for this kind of gaming.  Laptops are also more difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade.  I'm in the process of upgrading my tower and I'm able to install individual parts however I wish. 

You're welcome to post the specifications of your laptop here and let the techies have a look at them.

Also, I'm moving this to the Technical Help board.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Wiker12

• Insane Sims addict
  • Llama Wrangler
    • World of Tribes
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:56 PM »
Thankyou to everyone's input. I was just asking before I did play it. I just loaded the game, and it's A LOT better then my computer!(I don't know the exact specs)
Thankyou again

Offline shibamistress

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:46:22 PM »
I ended up buying a new laptop to play the game on as my little MacBook was choking on my EPs (Pets, SN, and Seasons) and wouldn't play them at all.

My new laptop works great and I can play the games on high settings.  But I did a lot of research first and got laptop with a good graphics card and plenty of RAM.  It is really important to make sure you have a good graphics card (as I learned here on this forum) so I'd check out other threads on this topic.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:57 AM »
I've never played Sims on a desktop.

The laptop I'm using right now is a mid range Toshiba that's a few years old. I've had very few issues. Since installing Seasons I've had a little lag but I'm planning on installing more RAM and I think that will take care of the issue.

I know it's a personal preference but I always look for AMD processors and ATI/Radeon graphics.