Author Topic: Can you affect career starting level?  (Read 9801 times)

Offline Niana

• Occult
Can you affect career starting level?
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »
I just took a quick glance through this subforum and didn't see a related topic, so I hope it's okay to start a new one -

Just wondering if there's anything we can do - part-time job or skill level - to influence what level a YA starts a career at. I've heard that going via the computer (vs. the actual rabbithole building) will take your skill level in the related skills into account and offer you a higher position, but that doesn't seem to work for me. Thoughts?

Offline azokka361

• Watcher
Re: Can you affect career starting level?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:09:05 AM »
Someone entering the career must always start at the first level, although if they had quit/retired from a high level than they may reenter at a higher rank than the first, but a lower rank than that the one they had retired from. There are supposed to be ways to start at a higher level in the upcoming University Life expansion, but at the moment there are none, so far as I know.

I expect Azokka either to yell at everyone and totally dominate or else get out the popcorn.-Ombradellarosa

Elysi Immortal Dynasty

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:13 AM »
For example your sim is the law enforcement career. Sometimes, in the law enforcement career, you get opportunities to switch to say the military career. Most of the time, you will be able to start at level 3 or 4 in that career.

Until University comes out (like azokka said) there isn't any other known ways other than what azokka said.

Offline Niana

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:55 AM »
Oops, thanks! I think I might've gotten my games mixed up... :-[

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
If you do the part time film career as a teenager, you will automatically "upgrade" to the same level in the adult version of the film career. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Niana

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:40:23 PM »
Oh cool :) I'll check it out

Offline Sarabi

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »
Some of the Ambitions careers - Firefighter and Ghost Hunter, for example - allow you to receive promotions without actually going to work.  In those careers, you'll receive job experience by improving the required skills (handiness and athletic for firefighting, logic for ghost hunting).  It is actually possible to max those careers without ever going to work.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:22:40 PM »
if you are using mods there are some available through them.

Offline Autumn Morning

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »
As an update to this with University Life's release -- if your Sim has attended university and earned a good grade, he or she will start are a higher level of a career that relates to their degree. For example, an A in the Science and Medicine degree will let a Sim start at Level 4 of the Science career or the Medical career.

Offline Orange Iguana

• Laziness Leads to Brilliance
  • Occult
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:34:15 AM »
As an update to this with University Life's release -- if your Sim has attended university and earned a good grade, he or she will start are a higher level of a career that relates to their degree. For example, an A in the Science and Medicine degree will let a Sim start at Level 4 of the Science career or the Medical career.

Advancing in the new Science skill will allow you to start at level 2 in the Science or Medical career without needing a degree.

Offline Autumn Morning

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Thanks, Orange Iguana, I hadn't seen that yet.

Offline Elena

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 06:35:22 AM »
I just discovered that social-networking skill in university expansion could somehow affect starting level.
I made a simself yesterday and threw her in SV, with totally useless traits - slob, inappropriate, coach potato, etc.
However when I decided that she needs a great fridge and put her in culinary career, she is able to start at level 3 while having no cooking skill at the time.
I was puzzled, as she is lazy and did not go to university either, then I realized that her blog has three and half stars, quite an amount of followers, and one of the perks says something about uploading resume, etc, and so I guess this is what affected her career starting level.
Not sure if somebody has tested and confirmed this before, so I decide to bump the old thread and give it a reply:)